• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian's astounding 'garbage human' moment at Vidcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolibri

The stuff you decide to focus on in this thread is fuckig transparent.

Everyone sees through the bullshit -- you can stop pretending.

Pretending what? :/

I have some knowledge from reading a lot of Twitter yesterday (We're a bit late to the party here). Sorry for having information.

Rookhelm

this stuff makes me sick (I'm being quite literal...I get a pit in my stomach to the point of nausea sometimes reading how these shitlords harass people.)

flkraven

These are the type of people who have no lives outside of /poI and "skeptic youtube" so they use that terminology in real life.

I'd love to see what sort of video or article you're about to link ITT....

The exhilaration and thrill that the 'troll' felt was probably just the excitement of leaving the house, going outside, socializing, and making contact with real humans.

marrec

Banned
If you're not perfectly accurate when talking about god's gift to the arts that is video games, well now, you deserve "exposure."

Uhhh also she took a longer time to release high quality video content than she originally said so, think about THAT before you get all snarky!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
One of the most facinating thing that came out of the GG stuff and moved into the Trump election was people using internet lingo for very real harassment terms, beause in their mind, that takes power away from the action that they're doing. It makes it okay in their eyes because it's suddenly "for the lulz and why are you so serious brah?"

It's like these people are leaving their houses for the first time and realizing that there's a big world out there and that actions have, dare I say, consequences.
It's literally "it's a prank bro" taken to it's natural (and horrid) extreme.

These guys were allowed to heckle and disrupt a panel? Where were the event planners and security?
According to them they were not aware at all about the harassment that she receives or that these were the people perpetuating it.

Mesoian

Astounding? Really? More like trash fire talk. Many groups use the same tactics including the feminists to interrupt people who they don´t agree with. Sakeesian was exposed many times again and again, yet people still believe and follow her.

And.
Here.
We.
Go.

These guys were allowed to heckle and disrupt a panel? Where were the event planners and security?

That's not what they did. In all fairness, they probably acted just like everyone else, sitting quietly and occasionally whispering, probably too loud, to one another.

But when you roll 3 rows deep in a panel and stare someone down with your history, your near obsessive campaign to expose this woman as a fraud and a charlatan, your hundreds upon hundreds of videos, your manifestos given to like-minded people...you are not there to listen to anything she has to say.

You are there to attempt to intimidate her. No other reason.

This Sargon guy was on the Joe Rogan Experience yesterday talking about this whole event. I'm not very deep into the YouTube world but it was really interested hearing the same story from each side and them telling vastly different stories.

Bruh, Sargon of Akkad is an actual garbage human being who supports various far-right politicians, groups, and movements, and was an active participant in Gamergate.

Don't let this be the hill that you die on.

I am not supporting Sargon or anyone. But Anita Sakeesian is a liar, manipulator, opportunist. She is actual garbage human being as well. People should not listen to any word she says.
And also not everyone "dies on a hill" if they think see things exactly as you do. You and others don´t seem to have any perspective whatsoever. One garbage human being getting insulted does not make the person insults others any less of a garbage human being.

Astounding? Really? More like trash fire talk. Many groups use the same tactics including the feminists to interrupt people who they don´t agree with. Sakeesian was exposed many times again and again, yet people still believe and follow her.
ooff
I am not supporting Sargon or anyone. But Anita Sakeesian is a liar, manipulator, opportunist. She is actual garbage human being as well. People should listen to any word she says.
And also not everyone "dies on a hill" if they think see things exactly as you do. You and others don´t seem to have any perspective whatsoever. One garbage human being getting insulted does not make the person insults others any less of a garbage human being.
You're taking the middle ground between people who get off on harassing women and a women who talks about sexism in video games. The middle ground is still a tad bit closer to "misogynistic nutcase" than you seem to think.

I am not supporting Sargon or anyone. But Anita Sakeesian is a liar, manipulator, opportunist. She is actual garbage human being as well. People should listen to any word she says.

Citations Needed. Do you have a legitimate argument to make that doesn't boil down to: "She said mean things about my favorite game!!!"?

Nepenthe

Uhhh also she took a longer time to release high quality video content than she originally said so, think about THAT before you get all snarky!

She put the extra money into higher production values and subsequent salaries for her crew. The thieving harlot.

Da-Kid

Doesn't Anita only want an echo chamber of an audience? Some people get upset about that I guess. And has more than once been wrong and orchestrated things to fit her agenda.

I don't like people who constantly cry victim to a fault.

kingslunk

Basically all that needs to be said about the garbage human Cargon:

He's a psychopath.

Psychopath? I don't think so. He did it to gain attention to gain followers to make money. I don't think he gives a shit what any of us think about him.

Quit talking about him, quit giving him attention etc etc.

JusDoIt

Anita is a soldier. The impact she's had on the games industry and surrounding culture is profound, largely because assholes keep volunteering to illustrate how vital her work is.

Every time something like this comes up I'm just in awe of how insanely strong and powerful Anita is. Don't know about you guys, but if I received even 1% of the abuse she has, I'd just say "fuck it" and disappear from the Internet forever. She's one of the most resilient people I've ever seen and I have nothing but admiration for her.

So much this. I don't know how she does it but boy am I glad that she does.

Eidan

According to them they were not aware at all about the harassment that she receives or that these were the people perpetuating it.

An event where the organizers doesn't have a minimum of a volunteer monitoring every session? Yeah that feels like bullshit.

WaterAstro

As much as those guys are shitheads, in professional public speaking, you just don't acknowledge distractions in the crowd.

Probably would have had a better effect because trolls feed off attention.

Nepenthe

Doesn't Anita only want an echo chamber of an audience? Some people get upset about that I guess.

If I'm parsing this right, wanting an environment free of people who harassed you for years = wanting an echo chamber?

EDIT: Oh God, you are equating them.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I am not supporting Sargon or anyone. But Anita Sakeesian is a liar, manipulator, opportunist. She is actual garbage human being as well. People should not listen to any word she says.
[Citation needed]

Psychopath? I don't think so. He did it to gain attention to gain followers to make money. I don't think he gives a shit what any of us think about him.

He's gaining followers and money by actively organizing the online and irl harassment of women. His twitter banner is a PS of him caressing Anita. This is straight up stalker territory AT BEST.

An event where the organizers doesn't have a minimum of a volunteer monitoring every session? Yeah that feels like bullshit.
On the bright side they didn't remove her from later panels for technically breaking their rules by insulting the dude.

By doing nothing but having your contribution being to drag the victim of a five + year long harassment campaign as being a "garbage human being" instead of just openly condemning the people harassing her?

It speaks volumes for your priorities and values.

flkraven

LMgs3xU.gif

Dyle

Well said Anita! No point in using euphemisms for these horrible people. Unfortunately I'm sure that this will spark a new wave of harassment, just like every little scandal related to her does

Beartruck

Jesus. So these idiots think that shit-posting IRL is an acceptable thing to do? I really don't want to know what the world looks like 10 years from now.
I imagine eventually people who try to "shitpost IRL" will remember why thats a bad idea: Because it usually results in a burly man throwing your ass through an open door.

I don't get it. Do you think I'm Sargon with an alt account or something, just because I said that both parties were acting like children? XD

Good lord. Paranoia much?
Taking the middle ground doesn't make you above an argument or immune to criticism. Your position is ignorant and supports awful people tacitly. That's reprehensible.

Nepenthe

As much as those guys are shitheads, in professional public speaking, you just don't acknowledge distractions in the crowd.

You're telling me Anita speaking at a place called VidCon should have higher standards of public speaking than fucking Obama employed?

Gator86

fb0.jpg

Yes, a psychopath. Nothing you said is counterpoint to that. In fact the exact opposite.

I don't get it. Do you think I'm Sargon with an alt account or something, just because I said that both parties were acting like children? XD

Good lord. Paranoia much?

Yup, this sounds super childish to me:

"They can skip right to bashing my ideas, and their followers will eat it up no matter what I say. It’s a losing game. I’m not going to change anyone’s minds debating with any of them. More importantly, I shouldn’t have to debate the fact that I am a human being who deserves basic respect, and in fact that is in itself a core issue with all of this: how degrading and exhausting it is just to have to keep arguing for and fighting for and begging for our own humanity."

_h8bit

Banned

Probably would have had a better effect because trolls feed off attention.

Do you think they went there to sit quietly and pay attention? I certainly don't. Cut them off at the past, get out in front of their bullshit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The exhilaration and thrill that the 'troll' felt was probably just the excitement of leaving the house, going outside, socializing, and making contact with real humans.
LOL for real

Please elaborate. With citations. What lies?

flkraven

I imagine eventually people who try to "shitpost IRL" will remember why thats a bad idea: Because it usually results in a burly man throwing your ass through an open door.

I doubt they have the courage to attack anyone (in person)that they believe is physically stronger than they are.

Man people care about this stuff so much they go out of their way to mess with others? I just live my happy life and not let any of this get into my head.

HardRojo

These people make a fucking living, hundreds to thousands of dollars a month. By harassing and constantly hounding women because it's "funny" and as men they obvious "know better" anyway

I'm sure the shit stains on VOAT are spanking it to this very thread. Laughing it up over NEOCUCK and it's "fucking sjw retards".

This "community" if gaming is so damn poisonous
So basically an extreme and sexist version of "It's just a prank bro!". Pieces of garbage, all of them.

Ponn

Banned

You were one of the more consistent defenders of Pewdiepie and his anti Jew, flashing Nazi bullshit during that blow up. I'm not surprised at all at your stance and you might as well go all in at this point.

Edit: to add it's also a perfect example of the point I was making back then how shitty it is that these asshats with a camera are so influential on people with no restraints or oversight. This is the result.

I'm not sure why some posters in threads like these always feel the need to preface their statements with "I'm not a fan of Sarkersian, but..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom