• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 Exclusive Preorder DLCs

Lucent

I really hope the Amazon costume isn't exclusive to Canada. It's the best looking one. And as someone who uses Prime a lot, I wouldn't mind wearing Amazon's stuff...until I find better looking stuff. =p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
y'know, now that I think about it, I think this is the real benefit of DLC.

You don't have to have this nonsense on your cart at all.

KarmaCow

Modeling a poorly done costume is substantially cheaper than manufacturing a new model of 3DS XL. Atlus probably got paid by the retailers to create it in the first place as a form of advertising

I thought it would be the opposite because frankly, I find it odd that stores shell out of money for this since I don't think the SMT series sells particularly well. Atlus pays retailers for in store advertising and this costume stuff comes along with that deal to incentivize Gamestop advertising the game to show of their sick nasty exclusive costume DLC.

I thought it would be the opposite because frankly, I find it odd that stores shell out of money for this since I don't think the SMT series sells particularly well. Atlus pays retailers for in store advertising and this costume stuff comes along with that deal to incentivize Gamestop advertising the game to show of their sick nasty exclusive costume DLC.

I doubt it. These costumes are not only product placement, but retailers want them as an incentive for consumers to buy at their store. You can see that in this thread - some people are saying they'll buy it at a certain retailer because of the DLC. It doesn't make sense that Atlus is doing this for a game like SMT if retailers weren't shelling out. People aren't going to buy SMTIV solely because of some poorly made costumes.

At the very least, it's a mutual relationship and it doesn't cost either Atlus or the retailer much. But I think in instances of retailer exclusive pre-order DLC the retailer is probably paying for it (or doing something). Amazon and Gamestop aren't going to say that they won't carry the game unless they get *exclusive DLC*. Well, they could, but that would be ridiculously damaging to the publisher-retailer relationship

Jessicat

All of my why, this DLC ;>>
I bet the Gamestop one lowers the encounter rate, the EB one reisits ice, and the amazon one is weak to fire XD Or each one gives you a certain alignment boosts, dunno which would be which though, lol.

I'm pre-ordering this from VGP [in store], so hopefully there's nothing random going on there. I'm guessing this thread is only for the North American region DLC, but you can check out all the fancy pre-order stuff Japan's retailers are offering here: http://megaten4.jp/guide/
Some places get lame stuff like post cards/phone cards/oversized trading cards, but other places, like amiami, are offering wall scrolls with pre-orders~

At least with DLC it's missable and doesn't really do much to the overall game experience...also, I've had bad experiences in the past with both Amazon [good job packing my special edition games in a fucking bubble envelope so they get smashed up...also my SJ pre-order went on a strange journey of it's own, apparently improper labelling on their end made me lose my pre-order on that one], and EB [thanks for opening my pre-orders to listen to the soundtrack and gunk up the packaging with those godawful stickers you jerks], so this won't sway me to pre-order with them this time :/

cj_iwakura

Who do I have to sacrifice for a Messian robe?

PvFkpuh.jpg

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hopefully I can just sell my code to someone because I ain't wearing cardboard.

But think about how economical and eco-friendly it is to reuse cardboard as a jacket!

Just because it won't hold up in the rain.

Or snow.

Or wind.

Or possibly getting bumped on the street.

Emitan

But think about how economical and eco-friendly it is to reuse cardboard as a jacket!

Just because it won't hold up in the rain.

Or snow.

Or wind.

Or possibly getting bumped on the street.

It's like a jacket that's bad at all the things you would use a jacket for!

CSX

Has it been confirmed that the clothing in this game are actually stats based?

if so, be interesting to see what stats these dlcs will have

Has it been confirmed that the clothing in this game are actually stats based?

if so, be interesting to see what stats these dlcs will have

Yes.

e:Actually, it looks like headgear/legwear gives you stats and boosts your HP, while body armor just alters your resistances and boosts your HP.

Eusis

The amazon one makes me feel like I'm wearing a coat made of cardboard.
Pretty much my thought once I took a closer look. "Hey, this doesn't look so ba-WAIT A SECOND."

It's either the best outfit or the worst for this reason. And quite possibly a cheap cosplayer's dream come true.

Jessicat

Have the Japanese retailer DLC been posted anywhere outside of scans?

...I just posted the link from the main SMT JP website showing all the places offering pre-order bonuses, there are screenshots showing each item from a bunch of angles too. Does anyone read anymore, or just go looking for pictures? *sigh*

JAPAN REGION DLC:

HMV JP/Loppi/Lawson:

Tsutaya Online:

...weird thing is, what was the base item used for the GS DLC? o_O

...I just posted the link from the main SMT JP website showing all the places offering pre-order bonuses, there are screenshots showing each item from a bunch of angles too. Does anyone read anymore, or just go looking for pictures? *sigh*

5Azq5bI.jpg

So, I'm assuming that this is going to be the Best Buy one?

zroid

Banned
I noticed Nich confirmed a couple days ago on Twitter that Amazon.com will have the costume. If anyone was wondering.

Savitar

EB Games Canada is the best one so far.

That said I rather they off such pre order bonuses than say weapons, stages, characters or what not. That stuff just irks me, but a coat or something like this? Not a biggie.

You know, I think I can really be okay with retailer-exclusive preorder DLC if it's all as fucking idiotic (and presumably useless) as this stuff.

Ryuukan

Amazon outfit now on amazon.com

"capture the spirit of the Amazon package with its cardboard color, signature smile logo, and bar code is this imaginative upper body armor for the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado’s Samurai"

Also, the line about DLC on the walmart page has been removed.

Top Bottom