• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Azuardo

I have been getting more tag combos down, but damn, Phase 4's teleports are very precise inputs. Very difficult to do consistently.

And you weren't kidding Phase 4's tag with Alpha was hard. Difficulty of 7! I didn't even realise it went up to 6, nevermind 7.

I found Leifang-Jann Lee and Nyotengu-Ayane fun to do.

ShinMaruku

Now you see why I spend time in training mode. Matter of fact I am going to cut up some simple juggle combos with Phase 4 with minimal just frames. Gaf Lobbies are returning. With Tekker coming I will be on a 3d fighting game kick switching between doa and Tekken. So if people want to come, let me know.

Azuardo

Yeh, I have respect for you with Phase now that I know how hard it is to consistently pull those teleports off. It's really holding me back getting some of her challenges done.

I have no idea when I'll get Plus again, so I am still out of online play. It's just too fucking expensive for my liking. I know it's been a thing for years now, but a sub for multiplayer is just bullshit on a game console. And no, the free rented games don't make it worth it to me. /rant

Azuardo

Nice. I think you could have got more out of that last juggle if you let Ayane connect with her final kick? Looks like you tagged Phase in just a bit early, but it was still a nasty combo.

ShinMaruku

Weight class makes me reduce hits and use my final teleport to do slame or wall damage. It's more guarnteed and with wall or slam damage it give me the same damage.

Looking back at the thread I see those Rodeo costumes, picked one up for Kokoro. I've grabbed one costume for one character (different girl each time) out of a few of these batches, last time one of the Shrine Maiden deals for Ayane and before that a Mandarin for Marie Rose. Just a couple $ here and there to support them.

Not very space-efficient downloading a catalog for the one costume though lol.

Azuardo

Looking back at the thread I see those Rodeo costumes, picked one up for Kokoro. I've grabbed one costume for one character (different girl each time) out of a few of these batches, last time one of the Shrine Maiden deals for Ayane and before that a Mandarin for Marie Rose. Just a couple $ here and there to support them.

Not very space-efficient downloading a catalog for the one costume though lol.
Aye... Though I download the catalogs anyway to see them on my online opponents. But I only pick up costumes for Kas personally. Might get a rodeo one.

I'm dumb, are the rodeo costumes out? Checked a week ago and there was nothing on the shop.

They didn't show up for me under any category through the DLC link in-game. Only by going through Add-ons in the store proper and searching for Dead or Alive (or filtering for fighting games--17 listed) did I start seeing them. Try that if they don't show up for you.

Azuardo

They didn't show up for me under any category through the DLC link in-game. Only by going through Add-ons in the store proper and searching for Dead or Alive (or filtering for fighting games--17 listed) did I start seeing them. Try that if they don't show up for you.

Must be different in some regions. They're there in-game on UK store.

Just search 'rodeo' - they'll all pop up in the store.

Must be different in some regions. They're there in-game on UK store.

Just search 'rodeo' - they'll all pop up in the store.

Could be. However, I didn't recognize they were called "rodeo" until after the fact, so to see the latest content in a general search I did the above. They do need to sort out that when you press Triangle on the in-game DLC advertisement it actually brings you to that specific content. Probably some lost sales there...but that's their problem.

Eolz

The ingame store is a mess, especially in EU.
Better to check it in the web browser, filter by most recent, and then on PS4, go in the "my addons" section before launching a game (go over the game icon, then go down until the PS store part).

Azuardo

Riding the cow.

kDgxeDjh.jpg

Mediking

Back to playing this game for quick fun. Hahahaha I love the fanservice and sexual tension between characters. It's not afraid to tease and ship. Episode "Milk" is still my favorite. It's when Christie blatantly flirts with Eliot. She knows he likes her.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Back to playing this game for quick fun. Hahahaha I love the fanservice and sexual tension between characters. It's not afraid to tease and ship. Episode "Milk" is still my favorite. It's when Christie blatantly flirts with Eliot. She knows he likes her.

Tekken 7 story mode made me appreciate DOA5 story mode way more tbh. They got everyone to have a spot in the story if they were side stories in the grand scheme of things with the Ninja story. Looking forward to the direction they go with DOA6 and how they will visually eviscerate the competition.

Azuardo

Tekken 7 story mode made me appreciate DOA5 story mode way more tbh. They got everyone to have a spot in the story if they were side stories in the grand scheme of things with the Ninja story. Looking forward to the direction they go with DOA6 and how they will visually eviscerate the competition.

Yeah, I remember actually thinking how absurd the DOA5 story was, but it really wasn't too bad, all things considered. I've heard T7's is pretty piss poor. I, too, can't wait to see the new models for DOA6. DOAX3 has really given a nice glimpse of that.

Eolz

It's pretty amazing how well those PS360 character models are holding up against the competition yeah. Issues start to appear when you look a bit at parts like shoulders or clothing, but it's not that much apparent.

And for someone that love story and character relationships in fighting games, yeah, DOA5 was at least decent on that side. Criticism was mainly due to how it differed from previous games, but it was a nice idea at the time.
I'd like them to do something a bit like GG next time: arcade mode with character ending acting as prologues, then a story mode like this continuing it. Would be nice to get some updates over time too.

About Christie, reminds me of this 4koma for some reason (not sure what it's saying, but she's definitely one of the best femme fatale representations in fighting games lol):

Vazra

Yeah, I remember actually thinking how absurd the DOA5 story was, but it really wasn't too bad, all things considered. I've heard T7's is pretty piss poor. I, too, can't wait to see the new models for DOA6. DOAX3 has really given a nice glimpse of that.

2D scene with a narrator that sounds like 90s anime dub, then you get the cutscenes and the transition to battle. it follows that pattern and it doesnt really do anything interesting to warrant some of the scenes that happen. There is filler fights to stretch the length of the story. Sure the ending is good because its something people were waiting for but the whole road to it wasnt anything memorable. Also the character episodes are atrocious and mostly jokes.

Mediking

It's pretty amazing how well those PS360 character models are holding up against the competition yeah. Issues start to appear when you look a bit at parts like shoulders or clothing, but it's not that much apparent.

And for someone that love story and character relationships in fighting games, yeah, DOA5 was at least decent on that side. Criticism was mainly due to how it differed from previous games, but it was a nice idea at the time.
I'd like them to do something a bit like GG next time: arcade mode with character ending acting as prologues, then a story mode like this continuing it. Would be nice to get some updates over time too.

About Christie, reminds me of this 4koma for some reason (not sure what it's saying, but she's definitely one of the best femme fatale representations in fighting games lol):

DOA5's story presentation is awesome. The story itself needs help but it was enjoyable to watch because it was full of fanservice and sexual tension between characters. I don't mean to sound weird but it's refreshing to see characters flirt and blatant stares and stuff. Heck, Christie was teasing Eliot then the next second she's flirting with Bayman. Then Helena is flirting with Bayman. Lol

Vazra

DOA5's story presentation is awesome. The story itself needs help but it was enjoyable to watch because it was full of fanservice and sexual tension between characters. I don't mean to sound weird but it's refreshing to see characters flirt and blatant stares and stuff. Heck, Christie was teasing Eliot then the next second she's flirting with Bayman. Then Helena is flirting with Bayman. Lol

The main story is fine and they actually tried to flesh out what was going on in the background with the rest of the cast and actually created actual interactions with all the cast on the game for as little or silly some of their story lines were. Of course the issue with the presentation was the sterile looking areas which were pretty extremely clean and flat but that was a PS3/360 game and the story mode wasnt the main reason why people got into the game. DOA6 will be interesting to see how they pump that up and how they follow the story of DOA5. They left it with a nice cliffhanger and I want to see what else happens.

Azuardo

I think this could be good. Doesn't SFV do this too? Except that one uses artwork stills instead of cutscenes in the character stories/prologues. I guess if they decided to add arcade stories for each character, stills would be best if they wanted to add them to the DLC characters that come to DOA6 over time too, even if I'd prefer scenes. It did always suck that the added characters that came in over the years never got a part in the story. It's mad to think Marie, Phase, Momiji and Honoka aren't even involved in the DOA story at this point. We should all know Marie and Honoka's roles by now, aside from the pieces we've nabbed through character interactions and official website snippets.

The GG prologues and main story that continues from it sounds good to me.

Mediking

The main story is fine and they actually tried to flesh out what was going on in the background with the rest of the cast and actually created actual interactions with all the cast on the game for as little or silly some of their story lines were. Of course the issue with the presentation was the sterile looking areas which were pretty extremely clean and flat but that was a PS3/360 game and the story mode wasnt the main reason why people got into the game. DOA6 will be interesting to see how they pump that up and how they follow the story of DOA5. They left it with a nice cliffhanger and I want to see what else happens.

How is the main story fine? Kasumi remains "exiled"? And the dude with the mask who reminds me of another masked guy from Persona 1... just leaves after doing what he was doing? Mila was almost the star of the show. Lol

neohwa

I was just playing Tekken 7 and have to say that DOA5 still holds up. Much respect to Team Ninja.

And how come everyone in DOA5 are so handsome and pretty compared to Tekken and especially Injustice? The face model is just so good, hands down the best artistically.

Azuardo

I am curious to see what they do with Kassie now. I want to see them end the traitor thing with Ayane endlessly going after her. Has to be more they can do with them.

That masked guy (Donovan) is Andy House. We have collected evidence.

And I think we can look forward to much improved 'dat ass' in 6. This is Kas from Musou All Stars. A definite improvement over 5. Hnnng.

Mediking

I was just playing Tekken 7 and have to say that DOA5 still holds up. Much respect to Team Ninja.

And how come everyone in DOA5 are so handsome and pretty compared to Tekken and especially Injustice? The face model is just so good, hands down the best artistically.

Anime kinda artstyle, sexualized bodies, skintight clothing =..... lol

I am curious to see what they do with Kassie now. I want to see them end the traitor thing with Ayane endlessly going after her. Has to be more they can do with them.

That masked guy (Donovan) is Andy House. We have collected evidence.

Why do they even hate Kasumi? She's trying to save the world. To heck with this bizarre Code.

Azuardo

Why do they even hate Kasumi? She's trying to save the world. To heck with this bizarre Code.

ikr? Whatever sibling rivalry they have, I can't even imagine Ayane would actually go through with killing her sister. Just makes it more eye-rolling that it's dragged on so long tbh. The fact they let her walk away scott-free at the end of 5 signifies as such anyway. As if their clan suddenly is like "k, we'll let you off this time, but this is your last chance."

Mediking

ikr? Whatever sibling rivalry they have, I can't even imagine Ayane would actually go through with killing her sister. Just makes it more eye-rolling that it's dragged on so long tbh. The fact they let her walk away scott-free at the end of 5 signifies as such anyway. As if their clan suddenly is like "k, we'll let you off this time, but this is your last chance."

Yup. It's pretty weird. Story may have problems but the presentation is great.

Still incredibly excited for Dead or Alive 6. I don't even care if it goes full lewd. I'll import it.

Eolz

Goddamn, didn't expect Gust swimwear, even less what they're putting in Nights of Azure 2...

I think this could be good. Doesn't SFV do this too? Except that one uses artwork stills instead of cutscenes in the character stories/prologues. I guess if they decided to add arcade stories for each character, stills would be best if they wanted to add them to the DLC characters that come to DOA6 over time too, even if I'd prefer scenes. It did always suck that the added characters that came in over the years never got a part in the story. It's mad to think Marie, Phase, Momiji and Honoka aren't even involved in the DOA story at this point. We should all know Marie and Honoka's roles by now, aside from the pieces we've nabbed through character interactions and official website snippets.

The GG prologues and main story that continues from it sounds good to me.

Yeah, SFV does that as well, I think it's pretty good in terms of narrative when it's well done. I'd prefer that to just a single story mode.

How is the main story fine? Kasumi remains "exiled"? And the dude with the mask who reminds me of another masked guy from Persona 1... just leaves after doing what he was doing? Mila was almost the star of the show. Lol

It's not really clear if Kasumi is still exiled now. Looks like she still wants to do stuff on her own, but that she's not chased anymore for what she did in the past.
I guess Donovan could finally be DOA6's boss, since Rig is basically there to replace him now.

Azuardo

It's not really clear if Kasumi is still exiled now. Looks like she still wants to do stuff on her own, but that she's not chased anymore for what she did in the past.
I guess Donovan could finally be DOA6's boss...

I hope this is the case.

Man, fighting Andy House in 6 is gonna be incredible. The image manips will take over.

since Rig is basically there to replace him now.

That's what you think, but don't forget Marie. She is waiting for her opportunity to strike. Before you know it- bam. Marie running DOATEC now.

We in dere. Phase 4 best be in All Stars

Keep yo fake ass away.

Hubb

I've played a lot of Gust games and I can't think of what games they are pulling swimwear from. Unless they are making swimwear based on Gust characters/outfits.

Hubb

there are quite a few swimsuits in the atelier games

I played the Arland triology (though it feels like forever ago), and I played the Ayesha/Eshca&Logy. Guess I just don't remember them or they were DLC. Here's to hoping they are something more than simple swimsuits. I want them to be at least a little creative like Phase 4's.

Eolz

I played the Arland triology (though it feels like forever ago), and I played the Ayesha/Eshca&Logy. Guess I just don't remember them or they were DLC. Here's to hoping they are something more than simple swimsuits. I want them to be at least a little creative like Phase 4's.

I think they were mostly DLC yeah, like this
atelier-shallie-2.jpg

edit: I don't think the Nights of Azure ones are even SFW tbh.

Endo Punk

Really anticipating DOA6 for my first current gen 3D Fighter, I too appreciate the story in hindsight but in all honesty I miss the CGI arcade endings, I really hope they return.

As far as characters go I'm sure new females are a coming, would like another dark character, and if they insist on more Japanese females then how about a gyaru gal 🤗

Vazra

Really anticipating DOA6 for my first current gen 3D Fighter, I too appreciate the story in hindsight but in all honesty I miss the CGI arcade endings, I really hope they return.

As far as characters go I'm sure new females are a coming, would like another dark character, and if they insist on more Japanese females then how about a gyaru gal 🤗

Gimme an old woman that happens to be top tier,

Top Bottom