• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Mediking

I'm in love with P5 and I honestly do think Atlus is perfecting the turn based mechanic...

BUT...

This stupid dice game mechanic in Palace 6 is driving me insane. I even hacked the system but having a 50/50 chance of getting it right is so annoying.... don't ever do this again, Atlus.

Zafir

I'm in love with P5 and I honestly do think Atlus is perfecting the turn based mechanic...

BUT...

This stupid dice game mechanic in Palace 6 is driving me insane. I even hacked the system but having a 50/50 chance of getting it right is so annoying.... don't ever do this again, Atlus.

Wait, what?

If you do the hacking, even if you're wrong you still win? At least that's what happened to me on both my playthroughs.

Mediking

Wait, what?

If you do the hacking, even if you're wrong you still win? At least that's what happened to me.

After I beat that hacked room... I went to the normal rooms to win... I managed to get them to bust aka run outta coins. It was maddening.

But I'm the true fool. I got upset and tried to leave and realized that you're supposed to try to leave to trigger a scene...

I'm in that scene now.

Zafir

After I beat that hacked room... I went to the normal rooms to win... I managed to get them to bust aka run outta coins. It was maddening.

But I'm the true fool. I got upset and tried to leave and realized that you're supposed to try to leave to trigger a scene...

I'm in that scene now.

Oh right, lol. xD

I can't say I bothered with the normal rooms.

Persona 5 had no real atmosphere imo especially compared to 3 or 4.

Definitely do not agree with this. P5 had atmosphere in spades from the first time you hear one of the vocal versions of "Beneath the Mask" playing.

Before that, even, when you first enter Untouchable and hear "Layer Cake". Boom, atmosphere.

Mediking

Just lost a huge chunk of progress in Palace 6... some monsters did some Rage War and had Repel Attacks crap... Joker killed himself while everybody was still standing.... Mona could've easily revived him... but no.... Game Over....

A huge - from a near perfect game.

Bladenic

Definitely do not agree with this. P5 had atmosphere in spades from the first time you hear one of the vocal versions of "Beneath the Mask" playing.

Before that, even, when you first enter Untouchable and hear "Layer Cake". Boom, atmosphere.

Nah. Persona 3 had the dread down pat, plus the dorm setting which was dope. Persona 4 had the small town setting plus the rain and fog which was wonderfully atmospheric. Persona 5 has... I guess the big city atmosphere? But given the game's areas being small like the previous games, I never really felt like I'm running around Tokyo save for the station which was big and confusing. I mean Beneath the Mask on a rainy day was cute, but nah, P3 and P4 both win in that department. It's not really knock against P5 though. Having played P5 > P4G > P3P back to back, P5 has so many small improvements it's crazy.

Persona 5 has... I guess the big city atmosphere?

No, P5, even from the opening animation first seen in the first gameplay reveal trailer, has had a contemporary noir atmosphere and aesthetic. Which is fitting, as the main characters are a variant form of criminals and the narrative deals with the moral ambiguity of what they're doing. It's pretty intentional that your first bit of gameplay wandering around Tokyo is on a cloudy day in the cramped, slightly run down alleyways of Yongenjaya.

Lynx_7

Preferring 3 and 4's atmosphere is totally understandable, but to say P5 has none is crazy my dude. It's one of the areas P-Team/Hashino consistently shines the most. P3, P4, Catherine and P5 all have such distintictive, strong personalities. Nocturne and DDS arguably counts too.

I think Catherine might still be my favorite in that regard, but the others aren't too far behind.

theecakee

Little premature, but when do you all estimate we will see Persona 6? I don't think it would take as long as Persona 5 did. Since the studio has grown a lot and they could just reuse the Persona 5 engine now.

Say like 2021?

Lynx_7

Will they even reuse P5's engine, though? I thought SMT HD would and look at it now. They will definitely reuse assets but I'm guessing they might switch P6 to UE4 if it makes it easier to develop PS4/Switch
/PC(letmedream)
ports.

My conservative estimate is 3 years from now.

PK Gaming

Nah. Persona 3 had the dread down pat, plus the dorm setting which was dope. Persona 4 had the small town setting plus the rain and fog which was wonderfully atmospheric. Persona 5 has... I guess the big city atmosphere? But given the game's areas being small like the previous games, I never really felt like I'm running around Tokyo save for the station which was big and confusing. I mean Beneath the Mask on a rainy day was cute, but nah, P3 and P4 both win in that department. It's not really knock against P5 though. Having played P5 > P4G > P3P back to back, P5 has so many small improvements it's crazy.

I'm not sure I agree to be honest. For one, Persona 3's dread and gloom are only present some of the time. For the most part, the game has an open-ended, arguably upbeat atmosphere (with its slice of life gameplay and poppy music to match). Granted, this isn't a flaw at all (a game that's all doom and gloom would be no good), but it's not ever-present.

Persona 5 is the same way. It has the slice of life vibe down to pat, but there's a heaviness to plot related scenes that immediately set it up apart from the other Persona games. Like, it's impossible to listen to this song and not recall one of the many, MANY scenes devoted to building up legend of the Phantom Thieves. That's atmosphere, baby.

Zukkoyaki

Little premature, but when do you all estimate we will see Persona 6? I don't think it would take as long as Persona 5 did. Since the studio has grown a lot and they could just reuse the Persona 5 engine now.

Say like 2021?

I'm not sure we're going to see Persona 6 for quite awhile. Two reasons:

1. Sure they now have an engine and plenty of HD assets to work with but now they also have a very high bar to either meet or clear. Given how much they took their time with Persona 5 to make sure it delivered, I'd have to imagine they would take their time with a Persona 6 now that the series is bigger than ever. Expectations will also be bigger than ever. I don't see them just cranking out another immediately following 5 (even though I'd be okay with it).

2. Hashino has heavily implied that he's done with the series and P-Studio and will be focusing on Studio Zero and Project Re: Fantasy. Meguro and Soejima seem like they will be splitting their duties but missing Hashino from a Persona project would be huge.

I do think Persona 6 will happen eventually, though. But I also think it's going to be a shake-up for the series after three largely similar games and with Hashino seemingly no longer involved. I expect P-Studio to work on spin-offs and maybe a smaller scale new IP sort of like Catherine before looking to the next Persona. My guess is it's 5+ years away.

Mediking

I don't mean to brag... and this is really Persona battling 101... but I'm actually really proud of myself. I only had Joker in my party and was going against a monster. The guy used Concentrate. I had Arahabaki (I LOVE HIM!) and used Makarakarn. Then I used Spirit Drain a few times and the guy pretty much killed himself.

I know that's Persona battling 101 written by Sophia and Dantis but I'm really happy I thought before I just spammed some cool looking move :)

Oh and the prettiest Persona in my squad is Suzaku!!! Such a pretty bird :D

Sophia

I don't mean to brag... and this is really Persona battling 101... but I'm actually really proud of myself. I only had Joker in my party and was going against a monster. The guy used Concentrate. I had Arahabaki (I LOVE HIM!) and used Makarakarn. Then I used Spirit Drain a few times and the guy pretty much killed himself.

I know that's Persona battling 101 written by Sophia and Dantis but I'm really happy I thought before I just spammed some cool looking move :)

Oh and the prettiest Persona in my squad is Suzaku!!! Such a pretty bird :D

The Anubis type enemies in Dungeon
were really good for restoring SP on this way. Remove the rest of your party via the menu, equip a certain Persona, be immune to all attacks, and either spirit drain or use SP restoring accessories until you're full. :D

Just ran into the sleeping table in Persona 3 fes...

Sleeping Table is a nasty piece of work when it first appears in Persona 3. Two different types of instant kills on top of almighty and Tier 3 spells. And there's no way for the party to successfully null all of that no matter what you do. Oh, and it has stupidly high defensive stats for when it appears X_X

Mediking

were really good for restoring SP on this way. Remove the rest of your party via the menu, equip a certain Persona, be immune to all attacks, and either spirit drain or use SP restoring accessories until you're full. :D

Lol about SP recovering items... I still haven't finished Dr. Takemi's social link. I'm like right there but I'm debating if I wanna romance her or not... D:

OH! And more about battling! Morgana still has Miracle Punch. It's a great physical move that almost always does a Critical.

I've also been digging in Mementos and have got to Adyeshach: Area 5. This place looks incredibly fiery....

Man, I really enjoyed having P5 to look forward to.

Now I have no idea what to obsess over, lol.
I feel the same way. The pre-release hype cycle was a fun part of the whole P5 experience for me, especially before the Japanese release. Right now, I'm just trying to squeeze in as many other games as I can before the concert in August and the ride (hopefully) starts all over again.

A little off topic but I've just started SMT: Nocturne, my first proper SMT game. Wanted to help me focus on an SMT mindset when working on P5 pictures. Having fun so far, just got to the underground place with the mannikins.

Lynx_7

I do think Persona 6 will happen eventually, though. But I also think it's going to be a shake-up for the series after three largely similar games and with Hashino seemingly no longer involved. I expect P-Studio to work on spin-offs and maybe a smaller scale new IP sort of like Catherine before looking to the next Persona. My guess is it's 5+ years away.

That'd potentially kill most of the momentum P5 has built for them. It'd be like Square taking 6 to 10 years before releasing a new FF entry after VII, or From Software taking a similar amount of time between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Probably not a smart move.

They're hiring lots of new people for Studio Zero and P-Studio, so I imagine they want to start development on P6 asap. They can outsorce the spin-offs to other companies or keep the Etrian team busy, there's no need to waste P-Studio on a bunch of smaller games that won't move half as many units as a new mainline title.

Zukkoyaki

That'd potentially kill most of the momentum P5 has built for them. It'd be like Square taking 6 to 10 years before releasing a new FF entry after VII, or From Software taking a similar amount of time between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Probably not a smart move.

They're hiring lots of new people for Studio Zero and P-Studio, so I imagine they want to start development on P6 asap. They can outsorce the spin-offs to other companies or keep the Etrian team busy, there's no need to waste P-Studio on a bunch of smaller games that won't move half as many units as a new mainline title.

That's fair enough! Ideally I'd like a P6 sooner rather than later but I'm not confident that'll be the case. In a way though, I feel like the long hype cycle actually benefited P5. It built a huge amount of anticipation for the game especially after P4G got a lot of people on board in 2012. We'll see though! Obviously Atlus has a lot of exciting projects in the works to look forward to so I'm content just sitting back and letting them do their thing.

Spierek

Does anyone know if it's possible to get tickets for the concert in August?

It seems like you can't register for the current LAWSON lottery without Japanese VPN access, but even then, the site mentions something about "all tickets will be electronic" and "electronic tickets can only be used with a smartphone". Does it mean that you can't get one without a Japanese mobile phone number?

I think the only game I'm looking forward to at the moment is Pyre, by Supergiant (even though I think it's impossible I'll like it as much as Transistor).

Lunar15

I honestly can't think of a single game I'm really, really hyped for. P5 was basically it.

Everything else right now is purely conceptual: Cyberpunk, whatever Retro Studios is working on, Re:Fantasy.

I have a pretty decent list of games I am looking forward to, but none on the same magnitude of P5. I was beyond hyped for P5 for like 4 years straight. Other stuff seems cool, but it pales in comparison excitement wise for me.

I too am in that humdrum now what? phase after beating P5 for the first time.

There's just no other gaming experience like a new mainline Persona.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The P5 post partem depression was what made me go back through the franchise for a replay lmao.

I just needed to keep that train of feels going.

Oddly enough though right now I'm playing through SMT1 on iOS which is a great little port. I love how hard that game is. Well hard isn't even the right word, it's more like relentless.

Bladenic

I'm not sure I agree to be honest. For one, Persona 3's dread and gloom are only present some of the time. For the most part, the game has an open-ended, arguably upbeat atmosphere (with its slice of life gameplay and poppy music to match). Granted, this isn't a flaw at all (a game that's all doom and gloom would be no good), but it's not ever-present.

Persona 5 is the same way. It has the slice of life vibe down to pat, but there's a heaviness to plot related scenes that immediately set it up apart from the other Persona games. Like, it's impossible to listen to this song and not recall one of the many, MANY scenes devoted to building up legend of the Phantom Thieves. That's atmosphere, baby.

I hate that song actually. Well, not hate, but it's boring and overplayed. Next.

And I admit saying the game has no atmosphere is wrong. I do like the small coffee shop atmosphere. Too bad
it doesn't become the official hideout until late in the game.

Also peeved the MC's room never becomes clean/more decorated beyond some of the gifts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So was everyone constantly telling you that you were at the end in Palace 5 just trolling or what? Because every time I'd get to a new area, someone would say "finally, the treasure is behind that door" but then they said that in every new area I would slog through with barely any SP left.

PK Gaming

I hate that song actually. Well, not hate, but it's boring and overplayed. Next.

And I admit saying the game has no atmosphere is wrong. I do like the small coffee shop atmosphere. Too bad
it doesn't become the official hideout until late in the game.

Also peeved the MC's room never becomes clean/more decorated beyond some of the gifts.

It's definitely overplayed. Take a shot every time that song plays and you'll be dead before the prologue's over.

So was everyone constantly telling you that you were at the end in Palace 5 just trolling or what? Because every time I'd get to a new area, someone would say "finally, the treasure is behind that door" but then they said that in every new area I would slog through with barely any SP left.

Yeah, it's a pretty egregious error. Probably in the Japanese version too.

Lusankya

I have a pretty decent list of games I am looking forward to, but none on the same magnitude of P5. I was beyond hyped for P5 for like 4 years straight. Other stuff seems cool, but it pales in comparison excitement wise for me.

Same here. The excitement for Persona 5 was unreal and my hype never went down even for a second.

I am of course really excited to learn more about Project: Re Fantasy, but it's hard to get hyped when we don't even know what to expect.

Otherwise I am waiting for Danganronpa V3, which luckily is not continuing the mess the anime left behind. Also as a big Ace Attorney fan I'm looking forward to Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2, even though I need to wait for the Youtube translation to experience the story and awesome Sherlock Holmes. :(

Of course I expect Atlus to hype me with the likely announcements of new games during the next Persona concert in August.

BouncyFrag

Sleeping Table is a nasty piece of work when it first appears in Persona 3. Two different types of instant kills on top of almighty and Tier 3 spells. And there's no way for the party to successfully null all of that no matter what you do. Oh, and it has stupidly high defensive stats for when it appears X_X

I eveuntually broke through after level grinding Yukari to get mediarama along with a lot of lucky critical hits and using my few magic shields at the right time.

Lynx_7

I'm not really hyped right now because I barely have anything to go by, but as soon as they release the first proper trailer for SMT HD I'm absolutely certain I'll be fully aboard the hype train. Well, as long as it's not SMT IV-3: Navarre Returns.

I'm not really hyped right now because I barely have anything to go by, but as soon as they release the first proper trailer for SMT HD I'm absolutely certain I'll be fully aboard the hype train. Well, as long as it's not SMT IV-3: Navarre Returns.
SMT IV-3:Navarre Returns

Set three months after Apocalypse, Nanashi and the gang are trying to find a way to unite all of Tokyo. Even worse than the constant gang warfare and violence is the fact that Navarre is missing! Nanashi and his Friends decide to go out on a rescue mission no matter the cost, and bring their little ghost buddy home. Sadly, while they're gone, real warfare breaks out in Tokyo as a radical sect seeks to take control. Nanashi and pals run back, but how can they unite all of Tokyo!?

With a pop concert!

They get together some extremely questionable outfits for Asahi and Toki and head out on stage. War and strife is forgotten as literally all of Tokyo sings along. It's at that moment that these scantily clad teenagers realize that Navarre was never really missing, he was just in their hearts all along. THE END.

Lunar15

I'm not really hyped for anything right now. We'll see how the next few months go I guess.

Your thread on Atelier made me somewhat interested, but I think for right now I'm just taking a nice long break from gaming to focus on some life matters.

I have many things to look forward to (NDRV3, System Shock reboot, SS3, The House In Fata Morgana fandisk, etc.) but I don't really feel *hyped* for anything. I still haven't played Persona 5, so I'm bummed out about new releases.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh my god I just had two realizations within the last 15min that are completely obvious if you're not as oblivious as me.

1) P3FES opening song is literally memories of you + lotus juice
2) In P5 your default persona is Arsene and Sojiro's diner is called Leblanc. As in Arsene Lupin's author Maurice Leblanc.

Guess Who

Banned
2) In P5 your default persona is Arsene and Sojiro's diner is called Leblanc. As in Arsene Lupin's author Maurice Leblanc.

Also: Sojiro with his hat shares a silhouette with Daisuke Jigen from Lupin the Third.

hqdefault.jpg

FWpRNjN.png

Heh I splurged on the level 3 SP regen accessory right before that palace and I'm never taking it off the MC! But I just went on the school trip
and I got the special charm which is really powerful, but I'm in a conundrum because it's not as good as my regen and it would feel weird from a roleplaying perspective to give it to someone else
. So there it sits in my inventory, ha.

Speaking of the school trip,
I never got the option to take a walk with Ann. I thought I'd made a wrong choice on the dialogue so I did it again, but got the same choice of companions. Maybe a choice I made before the trip did it?

Top Bottom