• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
TQ5tgJq.gif

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So, those two
corrupted rockbreakers... Went and got a Ravager cannon and walked back to the corrupted zone. Shot away most of their health and then it was pretty easy the rest of the way. Although I would've been in deep shit without the Shield Weaver armor :D :D

Now, where is that last side quest that's supposed to be close by?

edit: nevermind, found it.

Syranth

Let me fix some of this for you. You seem to play a lot of Far Cry (I do too!) There may even be earlier references than what I'm adding:

Taking over bandit camps - Far Cry (I know this wasn't the first, I just can't remember off hand)
Grabbing plants n stuff off the ground for crafting - Far Cry (or just about any RPG)
Following tracks on the floor to find people - Witcher 3 (good reference but there are others, even Lego games use this)
Using the focus to investigate an area - Witcher 3 (Batman Arkham Asylum would be a better reference)
Climbing around scenery via rock faces or zip lining - Tomb Raider (I took off Uncharted because Tomb Raider is way older)
Using a bow and arrow to kill wildlife for resources - Tomb Raider (or just about any RPG, hell even Oregon Trail lol)
Climbing a tower to unlock the map (albeit a moving one) - Far Cry (Assassin's Creed would be a better reference but there are earlier ones)
Throwing rocks to distract people and enemies so you can use stealth on them - Far Cry (I'm sure they weren't the first)

My point is that most of these are common and basic elements that have been around for a long time. I wouldn't put it all on theft any more than a car steal's it's wheels from a wagon. What it did do is put all of these together and executed them WELL.

I wish I could feel the same level of love for the game that everyone in this thread has for it, but it's just not there. I don't know what else I can say. I'm glad I played it though. I'm glad I got to experience taking down a thunderjaw and others.

And it's cool that you don't love it as everyone has their opinion. It sounds like you play a LOT of open world games and it wasn't as new to you. I loved it but I love all open world games. It was nice to see a strong story attached to one (some kinda phone it in.)

What do we want from an expansion as far as mechanics go?

I'd love a new tier of weapons but I don't know how that'd work. Maybe just four mod slots, same ammo? Small inherent boost to all stats over the Shadow version?

A fourth skill tree would be a dream come true, also. And new game plus obviously.

Elandyll

Banned

I'd love a new tier of weapons but I don't know how that'd work. Maybe just four mod slots, same ammo? Small inherent boost to all stats over the Shadow version?

A fourth skill tree would be a dream come true, also. And new game plus obviously.
"Forbidden West"?

Imo an expansion introducing marine creatures would be awesome.

This is one of the few games where I actively ignore fast travel — even 60 hours in — because traversing the world on foot is such a joy. Heck, just picking random fights with machines doesn't get old.

This use a rly how I playing. I've only fast travel once to turn a quest in and had to leave with no fire to save nearby

Cheers for all the helpful info thus far, Gaf. Got another query for y'all regarding what removing armour/components actually does.

I know it disables certain machine attacks/features, but does it up the DPS on exposed areas?

Does it also up how quickly a status effect will apply? Or is just pure damage?

Spanks!

Tomeru

you can't get over it taking elements from other open world games? but you liked zelda so it can't really be that, its likely the execution just didn't click with you, maybe? also, maybe switching loadouts from time to time might freshen it up a bit?

What's wrong with execution? I found the game quite cohesive and steady (I think I'm confusing the words a bit, sorry).

Playsage

Cheers for all the helpful info thus far, Gaf. Got another query for y'all regarding what removing armour/components actually does.

I know it disables certain machine attacks/features, but does it up the DPS on exposed areas?

Does it also up how quickly a status effect will apply? Or is just pure damage?

Spanks!
By removing metal plates you may expose the main body, to which you inflict 1x damage, or a weak point (damage multiplier varies)

Status effect application doesn't​ seem to be faster on weakpoints

TsuWave

What's wrong with execution? I found the game quite cohesive and steady (I think I'm confusing the words a bit, sorry).

for me? nothing. horizon is my favorite game this gen and overall one of my favorite games in a long time.

i was trying to make sense of the statement that poster made "i can't get over how this game steals stuff from other games" then in the next sentence they said "i loved zelda". to me that didn't make sense because BOTW literally uses a bunch of stuff from other games. so it had to be something other than horizon using elements from other games that was preventing it from liking it or whatever, so i asked if it was "maybe its execution?", i'm as confused as you are.

hell, same poster made a list of things horizon supposedly steals from a bunch of titles and half of it is stuff BOTW does as well. so it just added to my confusion. nevermind the fact that the things they mentioned didn't even originate in those titles or even this gen.

BigDug13

for me? nothing. horizon is my favorite game this gen and overall one of my favorite games in a long time.

i was trying to make sense of the statement that poster made "i can't get over how this game steals stuff from other games" then in the next sentence they said "i loved zelda". to me that didn't make sense because BOTW literally uses a bunch of stuff from other games. so it had to be something other than horizon using elements from other games that was preventing it from liking it or whatever, so i asked if it was "maybe its execution?", i'm as confused as you are.

hell, same poster made a list of things horizon supposedly steals from a bunch of titles and half of it is stuff BOTW does as well. so it just added to my confusion. nevermind the fact that the things they mentioned didn't even originate in those titles or even this gen.

There seems to be this weird "either or" thing going on between Horizon and Zelda. Like a big fan of one has to for some reason talk mad shit about the other. They can BOTH be great games in their own way. That is allowed.

Went on a nighthike to the far west, there's a lumb on the map. Suddenly got a message that the the game will reload if i wander further, though i couldn't. Kinda weird.

kriskrosbbk

Guys did I miss the second power cell? I just
beat the behemoth on the sun ring
and still have one.Yes or no is fine.

edit:I need five of them it seems?!? I have one so far..
What should I do to collect them? Can I go back to those places?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Was itching to play a bit more so decided to knock out the hunting lodge trials I'd skipped (had just got blazing suns on the three at the first site). I just dropped it to easy so I could power through it. Only one that really frustrated me was the one with having to tie down and critical hit 3 glinthawks. Rest were fine.

So now I'm done with the game. With that I'm done with all errands and side quests sans the ancient armory one. Not willing to bother with that as I have no clue which two power cells I missed, and probalby missed ones that are a pain to get back to.

A bit over 55 hours played and easily my game of the generation as I've said a few times. :D. Can't wait for some DLC. Hope it's something meaningful and not just more hunter trials or something crummy.

Trophy wise just missing the one for getting the armor, knocking down all the dummies (also something not worth bothering with me) and missed a couple random ones (kill every type of acquisition enemy and scanning every machine type--no idea which I missed there, especially scanning since I scanned a ton). Feels lame to be that close to platinum, but I've never much cared to go after them if there's anything un-fun involved and those would require a lot of tracking around to find what I missed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think maybe it was the execution that didn't click with me, it's hard to say. I'm making it sound like I didn't like the game which is a lie, I have enjoyed myself, but playing it has always left me feel a bit cold for some reason. The Eurogamer review is pretty much spot on for how I feel,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-19-horizon-zero-dawn-review

I realise Zelda does use some ideas from other games, but I personally don't think they're as blatantly in your face stolen ideas from other games like they are here in Horizon. But anyway, I really don't want to be that person comparing the two games because they're both completely different at the end of the day.

Just because one game uses ideas and mechanics doesnt mean any other game is forbidden from using similar mechanics.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The credits are rolling. You know that feeling when you're content, satisfied that a challenge has been overcome, but at the same time sad that a journey, an epic adventure has come to it's end?

What a game. This one was really special.

Dino wars. Aloy holds the line with overridden dinos to protect a settlement from a charge of corrupted thunderjaws.

I choose to believe this didn't really happen and was all created in Sunhi's basement CGI lab.

lol that's funny.

All kidding aside this guys gif's are breathtaking.

Keep up the good work!!!! I have great moments in this game that look amazing but I could never recapture like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom