• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
I wonder how many gen 4 monster will be in. . .

oaekff.jpg

I would hope we at least get Gore Magala.

Makes business sense and I do kind of expect something like that but locking G-rank content behind a paywall of any kind seems like it'll have a big fan backlash and probably reduce the player pool quite a bit. I'm just speculating though. I'm wondering how they will handle content updates as well.

Hopefully it's the same as ever! As in, free. :p

I mean, they've historically put G-Rank in the year 2 revision. Asking for that money out the gate is something i'd probably bite on, it's essentially the same thing.

HeeHo

I mean, they've historically put G-Rank in the year 2 revision. Asking for that money out the gate is something i'd probably bite on, it's essentially the same thing.

Good point. Guess I'm used to gettin' G-rank right off the bat aside from Generations.

Raide

Really hope they bring in the Arachnids and more weird monsters into World. Loved the variation of combat and not just dinosaur hybrids etc. Come on!

I also wouldn't want to say good-bye to the likes of the Seltas and Nerscylla, either. We already don't have too many insect/arachnids as it is.

Add Najarala in there and you have a deal.

I'm actually a big fan of a lot of the additions in gens 3 and 4, they added a lot of biodiversity and some really unique ideas even if some of the ones in 4 aren't the best fights in the world.

Unfortunately gen 4 also gave us Valfalk, which is basically the most "Frontier" monster the main series has churned out.

NeonZ

Really hope they bring in the Arachnids and more weird monsters into World. Loved the variation of combat and not just dinosaur hybrids etc. Come on!

I want arachnids due to the armor designs. I want the over the top almost mecha-like stuff that so far hasn't been shown.

Sayad

Kill it with fire!

Stupid hip check....
W0WWj4x.gif

I don't want to see that shit again, even the similar looking monster is a disappointment, I just hate that face. Kehzu at least had some interesting ideas behind it and can be fixed, nothing can fix the Plesi.

Raide

I want arachnids due to the armor designs. I want the over the top almost mecha-like stuff that so far hasn't been shown.

Yeah, loved the look of them. I want more! Pretty terrifying when you first meet them but the fact they move unlike other monsters was half the fun!

Kyoufu

I can't wait to use the Challenger Mantle to lure Diablos into charging a wall so I can get some free hits in as it's stuck and helpless.

I kind of want to know too. What are you seeing that's so improved and what were MH's glory days?
Let's see.

Huge, open environments that are interconnected instead of segmented by loading screens.

Massive graphical overhaul.

Modern controls.

Ability to swap weapons during hunts (multi-monster hunts could be significantly improved by this).

A slew of QOL improvements including:
In-game weapon trees.
Quick gathering.
The ability to remain in the field after hunts.
Drop-in/out co-op.
And many more.

Environmental and monster-to-monster interaction.

Built-in voice chat.

But yeah, nothing to be excited about here.

TreIII

Add Najarala in there and you have a deal.

I'm actually a big fan of a lot of the additions in gens 3 and 4, they added a lot of biodiversity and some really unique ideas even if some of the ones in 4 aren't the best fights in the world.

Unfortunately gen 4 also gave us Valfalk, which is basically the most "Frontier" monster the main series has churned out.

Oh, yeah. Almost forgot about ol Naja! Can't forget him, either.

As for Freedom Gundam-err, Valfak, I doubt that we'll see him on a game the main team is working on. He, the Great Four and X/XX's end bosses sound like things the "Portable" squad delight in. So if anything, they'll likely end in whatever Switch effort Matrixman is teasing.

TreIII

Seems to be that you finish the quest and you now have the option to return to the village and complete, or return to camp and do side quests/free hunt.

Ooooo, that's nice. Even more so if the timer is shut off or reset after you complete your main objective.

I still wonder if we'll get something like Guild Quests or whatever, again, though. Nothing quite beat that, for me, when it came to a mode of play focused entirely on free hunting.

forms

I am so anxious to get to play this - it has been such a long time since I got to experience a new MH. Been playing some of them on Vita lately, just to get my dose.

Let's see.

Huge, open environments that are interconnected instead of segmented by loading screens.

Modern controls.

Ability to swap weapons during hunts (multi-monster hunts could be significantly improved by this).

In-game weapon trees.
Quick gathering.
Drop-in/out co-op.
And many more.

Built-in voice chat.

Just like the good ol' glory days.

Seems to be that you finish the quest and you now have the option to return to the village and complete, or return to camp and do side quests/free hunt.
Yeah, this is great. The only small downside I can see is maps being so big and your item pouch being so limited that you can't take advantage of it for too long. I'm sure they'll have the felyne that takes items back to your box, but you'll run out of nets and pickaxes eventually (unless they change that up, too).

I honestly rarely gather because it's not very interesting, and I usually get everything through the farm or from quest rewards. But it just seems more interesting in World because the environments themselves seem more lively (and no animation). I hope it is and isn't a slog once the newness wears off.

Raide

Just like the good ol' glory days.

Yeah, this is great. The only small downside I can see is maps being so big and your item pouch being so limited that you can't take advantage of it for too long. I'm sure they'll have the felyne that takes items back to your box, but you'll run out of nets and pickaxes eventually (unless they change that up, too).

I honestly rarely gather because it's not very interesting, and I usually get everything through the farm or from quest rewards. But it just seems more interesting in World because the environments themselves seem more lively (and no animation). I hope it is and isn't a slog once the newness wears off.

Yeah, pouch issues could be there but as you said, it may be a Palico job down the line.

They should still have nets and pickaxe but having to make them just wastes time. Just make one and upgrade it for the later ores. I can see that being a QoL thing they might do.

I would love the farm to return. Was a nice touch but maybe it's not needed now.

I kind of want to know too. What are you seeing that's so improved and what were MH's glory days?
As for improvements, this basically sums it up:
Let's see.

Modern controls.

In-game weapon trees.
Quick gathering.
Drop-in/out co-op.
And many more.

Built-in voice chat.

And as for what I consider the "glory days", it's easily when the series was on PSP up to MH3U. MHFU, Tri, Portable 3rd, and 3UHD are all great and I love them all. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the 3DS exclusive games at all, nor that they weren't successful, but it's nice we're getting MH on more platforms and with a fresh coat of paint.

Raide

People acting like 3 4 and X didn't add a shit ton of improvements to the series.

Lmfao.

But grhapicsxzzz!!1

They did add loads of changes and additions but it was still a series that clung onto its old gameplay, for better or for worse. Series needed something more substantial done to it to kick it forward.

And not just graphically.

Let's see.

Modern controls.

In-game weapon trees.
Quick gathering.
Drop-in/out co-op.
And many more.

Built-in voice chat.

Responding to every bullet point seems silly, but I'll just say the only one of those that seems exciting to me is remaining on the field (which I didn't know about) and the one thing that I was excited about prior was the grappling hook which isn't on your list. Modern controls have been a thing since Tri, although Nintendo did make it a pain in the ass with the 3DS and the frankenstick.

As for the rest of your list there's some nice to haves, and things that I really don't care for like VC.

Not saying anyone isn't justified in being excited for the game, I was half legit curious on what other people are so excited about, and half wanting to know how this game is returning MH to it's glory days (which I don't think it ever left).

Edit: On the Environmental/monster interactions, I'm still waiting to see what sort of impact that has on the game.

Never played one of these, though I know some surface level details. I hope it'll be a good point to jump in from.
They've consistently made the games better and better at introducing people to the series (though the complexity and early missions of MHGen were somewhat a step back from MH4U).

Raide

Never played one of these, though I know some surface level details. I hope it'll be a good point to jump in from.

Well, it seems like it will be. Lots of good QoL fixes for some things that put people off from the earlier games. Refined combat options that have players learning to be effective with weapons instead of fighting with time. No doubt streamlining the multi-player side of the game with better online options and grouping options, especially on XB.

I guess we need a bit hands-on gameplay before we see how it goes but a demo would sure be sweet right about now.

PokéKong

I've only followed the series since 3U, so I have only been able to perceive a steady increase in cool monsters, more flexible controls, and QoL convenience features. And as far as I can surmise, this game is a comparable or somewhat larger jump in those things than 3 -> 4. If the series has had some sort of slump I'm unaware of, I don't really care or want to hear about it.

Kyoufu

PokéKong;246496074 said:
I've only followed the series since 3U, so I have only been able to perceive a steady increase in cool monsters, more flexible controls, and QoL convenience features. And as far as I can surmise, this game is a comparable or somewhat larger jump in those things than 3 -> 4. If the series has had some sort of slump I'm unaware of, I don't really care or want to hear about it.

Definitely shaping up to be the biggest leap in the series yet. Like some of the things they're improving/changing/overhauling haven't been touched in like a decade. As someone that's followed the series since the first game, this is huge lol. :D

Peru

Let's see.

Modern controls.

In-game weapon trees.
Quick gathering.
Drop-in/out co-op.
And many more.

Built-in voice chat.

"New things" does not really harmonize with 'back to its glory days', though.

I think these changes look great. It's looking likely that MHW could be the best entry in the series so far. And I like good graphics. But these years of handheld MH have BEEn the series' glory days, where popularity has exploded and the games have become gradually more user-friendly and rich and enjoyed by more and more people around the world. Successfully increasing fan base in the west, crossing the 1 million barrier.

We're all hyped for this game. But to dismiss what MH has done in the past few years is weird. It's mostly gone from strength to strength. Quality of life changes have been introduced with each entry. Camera controls have improved. Fights and worlds and the environment have become more dynamic. MH4 got you jumping and playing off your surroundings.

MH World seems to continue that positive trend. It's not 'righting the ship' as some people try to paint it.

I think these changes look great. It's looking likely that MHW could be the best entry in the series so far. And I like good graphics. But these years of handheld MH have BEEn the series' glory days, where popularity has exploded and the games have become gradually more user-friendly and rich and enjoyed by more and more people around the world. Successfully increasing fan base in the west, crossing the 1 million barrier.

We're all hyped for this game. But to dismiss what MH has done in the past few years is weird. It's mostly gone from strength to strength. Quality of life changes have been introduced with each entry. Camera controls have improved.

MH World seems to continue that positive trend. It's not 'righting the ship' as some people try to paint it.
Ty.

We're all hyped for this game. But to dismiss what MH has done in the past few years is weird. It's mostly gone from strength to strength. Quality of life changes have been introduced with each entry. Camera controls have improved. Fights and worlds and the environment have become more dynamic. MH4 got you jumping and playing off your surroundings.

Glory days doesn't mean back to basics.

I've played every MH that's released in the West. While 3, 4, and Gen all brought something new to the table (and I loved all of them), they didn't majorly mix up the formula. Improved camera controls don't mean much when you don't have a real second joystick imo (PSP situation was miserable lol).

This game seems to be bringing the largest jump in features and QOL the series has seen since MHFU->MHP3. Opening up the environments alone is a massive game changer. That, wrapped up in modern conveniences of new hardware and a jump in QOL (including all of the nice things from the 3DS titles)... not sure why people are taking issue with his statement at all.

I haven't seen anyone say that MH was a ship that needed righting, but it's pretty apparent the games have stagnated a bit because they were limited by their hardware. Even the devs have said so.

Glass Rebel

I guess the curse of every MH thread being shit up with the same kinda garbage by the same lames continues. It's transparent as hell why people are downplaying the improvements of the 3DS generation or MHW, you ain't fooling no one.

Kyoufu

Monster Hunter has always had QoL improvements with every iteration but given the huge leap in available RAM and CPU when going from 3DS to current gen consoles it presents an opportunity to make some drastic changes and improvements in many areas and that's exactly what they're doing.

As for 'glory days', all I'm going to say is every release of Monster Hunter is a glory day and I'll leave it at that.

BigEmil

A Monster Hunter that feels like it's finally taken a step to a new gen is great

PS2 all the way to 3DS all felt like it was on the same gen

Top Bottom