• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG is now using adware-esque tactics to trick users into installing GOG Galaxy

Protome

desktop23kj5b.png

I've got my nice looking UI, so I'm good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is hidden somewhere in all that dead space?

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Such a dumb decision on part of GOG. People who like clients already use Galaxy. People who dislike clients won't use Galaxy no matter what. Measures like this won't convert anyone. They'll just frustrate people and cause them to waste time and bandwidth downloading clean installers if they get tricked.

Protome

Such a dumb decision on part of GOG. People who like clients already use Galaxy. People who dislike clients won't use Galaxy no matter what. Measures like this won't convert anyone. They'll just frustrate people and cause them to waste time and bandwidth downloading clean installers if they get tricked.

This isn't really aimed at either of those people because aside from a minor annoyance, those people will stick using GOG the way they do already. Nobody is going to stop buying from GOG because it takes an extra couple of clicks to get the regular installer.

This move is entirely aimed at new and infrequent users to drive them towards the store and increase the likelihood that they'll buy more things.

Let me back up. About a month ago, I purchased Rime on GOG. Here is what the download screen looked like:

4nG31hk.png

Pretty simple, right? There's a big blue "TRY GOG GALAXY" button in the top left corner, so if you want to go the Galaxy route, it's pretty obvious where you need to click. For everyone else, the standard installers are conveniently divided into 4GB pieces.

Here is what that same download screen looks like today:

E7ISrfg.png

Did you spot the difference? I almost missed it. Pay attention to the fine print at the bottom.

Yes. The big bold text up top now says "GOG GALAXY GAME INSTALLERS" instead of "GAME INSTALLERS." Not sure why you're resorting to highlighting fine print to make a point.

It's not a surprise that they would default to the galaxy versions given that they offer additional functionality and would be more convenient for a lot of people. That's not to say that they shouldn't let you decide which download method you'd like to be the default on their site for those who prefer to download in their browser or by the GOG Downloader, but to compare it to adware is a bit of an overreaction.

People want the offline installers to be safe against the site ever going down. That's one of the biggest draws of GOG vs Steam.
Do the Galaxy installers even require an internet connection?
edit: I missed it before but my question was already answered on the first page, and they apparently do not.

Lork

Yes. The big bold text up top now says "GOG GALAXY GAME INSTALLERS" instead of "GAME INSTALLERS." Not sure why you're resorting to highlighting fine print to make a point.

It's not a surprise that they would default to the galaxy versions given that they offer additional functionality and would be more convenient for a lot of people. That's not to say that they shouldn't let you decide which download method you'd like to be the default on their site for those who prefer to download in their browser or by the GOG Downloader, but to compare it to adware is a bit of an overreaction.

Do the Galaxy installers even require an internet connection?
Unbelievable. As they say, there really is a defense force for everything.

This isn't really aimed at either of those people because aside from a minor annoyance, those people will stick using GOG the way they do already. Nobody is going to stop buying from GOG because it takes an extra couple of clicks to get the regular installer.

This move is entirely aimed at new and infrequent users to drive them towards the store and increase the likelihood that they'll buy more things.

This is probably GOG's reasoning, but I think it's extremely misguided. First, no one likes it when software is added without their consent. If you notice that a client called "GOG Galaxy" mysteriously appeared on your computer, is that going to make you think more or less highly of GOG as a brand?

More importantly—I am now not buying from GOG as my first choice. Sure, it's the only place I can buy a DRM Free version of Rime, so I guess in that scenario I'll continue choosing GOG. But for something like Gone Home, which has DRM Free builds on itch and Humble in addition to GOG, I'll go with Humble.

Protome

This is probably GOG's reasoning, but I think it's extremely misguided. First, no one likes it when software is added without their consent. If you notice that a client called "GOG Galaxy" mysteriously appeared on your computer, is that going to make you think more or less highly of GOG as a brand?

More importantly—I am now not buying from GOG as my first choice. Sure, it's the only place I can buy a DRM Free version of Rime, so I guess in that scenario I'll continue choosing GOG. But for something like Gone Home, which has DRM Free builds on itch and Humble in addition to GOG, I'll go with Humble.

It isn't being added "without their consent" it explicitly says on the download page. The only people who would be impacted by this change at all are people who knew that the page used to default to the regular installers.

I think they're betting you're in the minority. They're probably right.

Yeah that doesn't look good at all. Also Utorrent, hmm....

Ummm Utorrent doesn't automatically equal what you're thinking, bro. I have qBittorrent installed because I like to dload high quality videos from places like Gamersyde, who offer torrents for their videos.

Don't go accusing just because his desktop may not look good to you!

Budi

Ummm Utorrent doesn't automatically equal what you're thinking, bro. I have qBittorrent installed because I like to dload high quality videos from places like Gamersyde, who offer torrents for their videos.

Hah sure. Was just wondering, stood out for me.

Head.spawn

Same here. Well, Tixati anyways.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
It isn't being added "without their consent" it explicitly says on the download page. The only people who would be impacted by this change at all are people who knew that the page used to default to the regular installers.

I think they're betting you're in the minority. They're probably right.
They're doing this to force the client on the parts of the existing userbase that refuse to install it. There's already a shiny blue Try GOG Galaxy button to get the attention of new users.

Protome

They're doing this to force the client on the parts of the existing userbase that refuse to install it. There's already a shiny blue Try GOG Galaxy button to get the attention of new users.

This doesn't do that though. Not until they remove the option to use regular installers. It's definitely more aimed at new users and directing them to the store to sell them more stuff. It's less that they're trying to force parts of their existing userbase into it, it's that they don't care if they do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
reminds me of the various bits of nonsense google tried to pull on me to merge my gmail account with a youtube account I only made to watch restricted content.

fester

Banned
I've never quite gotten why GOG is pushing GOG Galaxy so hard, when Steam does pretty much everything it does and more.

Like, if I want a game on a client I just get it on Steam. GOG is for games I want to put on a flash drive.

Why is this either/or? I think the Galaxy client has been great AND I use it to to download my games to a backup drive all the time.

This doesn't do that though. Not until they remove the option to use regular installers. It's definitely more aimed at new users and directing them to the store to sell them more stuff. It's less that they're trying to force parts of their existing userbase into it, it's that they don't care if they do.

You're right, they aren't being forced, just tricked.

If this was about making life easier for new users, I can think of tons of better ways to go about it. The implementation GOG chose is horrible UX. So horrible that I can only imagine it was done on purpose.

Unbelievable. As they say, there really is a defense force for everything.

I guess? It just doesn't bother me when they've stated what it is you're downloading at the top of the page and haven't actually removed the other installers. That said, I'm also coming at it from the perspective of someone who already knows what GOG Galaxy is. Thinking about it more and considering this:
First, no one likes it when software is added without their consent. If you notice that a client called "GOG Galaxy" mysteriously appeared on your computer, is that going to make you think more or less highly of GOG as a brand?
it's a fair point if you were unfamiliar with GOG.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Why isn't there an option to have the site default to classic installers? Don't tell me they just didn't think of adding it. They clearly chose not to implement it to get people to download and install Galaxy by accident once in a while, hoping they would eventually just give up and keep it.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Letter of the law, spirit of the law, and all that.

Are they forcing it? Nope.
Is it somewhat shady and against the core ideas that GOG stood for? Yep.

They are well within their rights to push their client to their users. Nobody is saying they aren't. The issue lies with how the push is presented. They are turning the process around. Before, you had to opt in to using GOG Galaxy. Now you've got to opt out. They are making GOG Galaxy the default option, and making you jump through hoops to avoid installing it. That is, if you first catch the notice in the download page. And let's be honest, most people familiar with GOG won't read it because they are used to the system they've been using for years, and new users probably don't know what GOG Galaxy is to begin with.

They should just put two big buttons in the download page: Download Game and Download Game with GOG Galaxy. Click whichever you want. Problem solved.

Paragon

I don't know the details, but GOG is definitely less lenient about refunds than Steam—because they have to be. You can't really "take back" a DRM Free game; once the user has downloaded it, they've downloaded it.
Surely if anyone had the intent of pirating a game, they wouldn't bother to set up a GOG account, purchase it, download it, and then go through the refund process. They would just pirate it.
I've had similar trouble getting a refund from GOG for games that wouldn't work. It took days of back-and-forth via email before they would issue a refund, and felt like I was having to justify myself as being "not a pirate" to them, despite having 150+ games on my account.

I don't outright refuse to use GOG, but they're my last choice if the game is available DRM-free anywhere else.
I like what they sell (DRM-free old games) but any time I've had to deal with them beyond making a purchase it's been a bad experience.

I *was* a fan of GOG until they made me wait for what seemed like close to a month for the first big Yooka Laylee patch that Playtonic released. Apparently GOG has to add or do things to developer patches so it works with GOG tech, end user-customer be damned if you're waiting!
So it was a very simple decision. No more buying CURRENT GEN games on GOG under any circumstances.
I had always assumed that it was developer neglect rather than GOG themselves holding things up.
Either way, I agree that it's a bad idea to buy new games on GOG if you expect timely patches/support.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This isn't all they did.

They've updated all their games (presumably through the cloud save update) so that if you launch any GOG game through the start menu shortcut it launches galaxy first and then the game.

I only open galaxy once in a blue moon to auto download any patches that have hit, otherwise I don't leave it open. So now when I run a game (for example I've started a replay of Might & Magic VII, an old ass game) it launches Galaxy and then launches the game, adding like 5+ seconds to the process for no reason.

I can run the program manually by going to the folder and running the exe directly, but the start menu shortcuts are all changed.

I don't know what they are doing over there, but they seriously need to take a step back and reassess this shit.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the isssue is unlike Steam, GOG patches have to be approved and aren't automated, so they take longer to get to people.

I have no idea what the patch process is like for devs, but if there's an approval step it is delaying patches by days at most, not weeks/months.

This isn't all they did.

They've updated all their games (presumably through the cloud save update) so that if you launch any GOG game through the start menu shortcut it launches galaxy first and then the game.

I only open galaxy once in a blue moon to auto download any patches that have hit, otherwise I don't leave it open. So now when I run a game (for example I've started a replay of Might & Magic VII, an old ass game) it launches Galaxy and then launches the game, adding like 5+ seconds to the process for no reason.

I can run the program manually by going to the folder and running the exe directly, but the start menu shortcuts are all changed.

In their defense, this may have been due to cloud saving, especially if the change was introduced alongside that feature. The client needs to capture and upload your save.

(Of course, it could also be because it makes you more likely to look through at the client and end up browsing the store and buying something—but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, whether or not they still deserve it.)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the isssue is unlike Steam, GOG patches have to be approved and aren't automated, so they take longer to get to people.
No GOG patches have to be approved but Galaxy patches go through immediately and the offline installers have to be updated by GOG themselves so it tales a while.

I don't really see the problem, you can still access the classic installers and it isn't like they are forcing you to install the client. They want to entice people into trying their client.

Nictel

I was kind of on GOGs side until:

...but if you click "Options", you'll see an unassuming checkbox which is enabled by default, and reads "Keep your game up to date with GOG Galaxy." If you don't click Options, you'll never know that anything has changed.

I just hate it when installers try to sneak in extra stuff; Adobe/Oracle are especially notorious for trying to include bloatware.

I enjoy Galaxy for the auto-updates and cloud saves but they should be clearer on including or not including it in the installers.

Rolodzeo

Already checked options by default in installers is the fastest way to lose customer trust, especially if they are hidden. Wtf, gog.

The issue lies with how the push is presented. They are turning the process around. Before, you had to opt in to using GOG Galaxy. Now you've got to opt out. They are making GOG Galaxy the default option, and making you jump through hoops to avoid installing it. That is, if you first catch the notice in the download page. And let's be honest, most people familiar with GOG won't read it because they are used to the system they've been using for years, and new users probably don't know what GOG Galaxy is to begin with
Yeah... I think I'm coming around on this. My initial reaction was one of "whatever" largely since I'm already used to having to go out of my way to for GOG Downloader links, so for classic installers to be treated the same way I kind of just took as more of a failure of UI design rather than anything more than that.

They should just put two big buttons in the download page: Download Game and Download Game with GOG Galaxy. Click whichever you want. Problem solved.
Agreed.

I don't really see the problem, you can still access the classic installers and it isn't like they are forcing you to install the client. They want to entice people into trying their client.

Not entice, trick. There is a clear line between those two. A mobile game that says "download this other app to get 500 in-game currency for free" is offering an enticement, sleazy as it is.

Heck, if you buy a game via Steam's web interface, after you complete the check out process, a message comes up saying (paraphrasing) "You'll need Steam to play your game, click here to download Steam." Now, granted, Valve does not give you a choice, which sucks, but at least they are up front about what is about to happen.

GOG, on the other hand, is very clearly attempting to trick users—to install something on their machine without their knowledge. Unless you look carefully at the download page, or check the installer's option menu, you would never know that Galaxy is included. And if you've used GOG previously, why would you ever look at those things? I should be able to trust GOG to ask for my consent before putting something on my machine.

nkarafo

One question though, does GOG even have standalone patches anymore? Let's say you don't want GOG Galaxy. How do you update your games? I used to find standalone patches with a simple google search but now they have disappeared.

One question though, does GOG even have standalone patches anymore? Let's say you don't want GOG Galaxy. How do you update your games? I used to find standalone patches with a simple google search but now they have disappeared.

Patches appear on the download screen below the other parts of the installer. So, if Rime had a patch it would be at the bottom of the list.

They usually update the installer itself in addition to creating a standalone patch, which is nice. It's not immediate though.

MarionCB

I'm with the OP on this. It annoys me greatly that GOG is doing this. I don't want to use Galaxy, and I don't appreciate it being made more irritating to avoid. It also makes me worry about their motivations.

peakish

The design could definitely be better. I didn't even realize that they had two different types of installers now and with the "Try Galaxy" button being very highlighted it kind of seems weird that they have more links beyond that one for getting the client. I can see the point of them having bundled installers too but it's a bit confusing and could be clearer.

I don't really think it's malicious by design though, more like something they overlooked. Trying a few games in my library it seems that it's just as likely that the classic game installer links will be highlighted when opening the downloads page, as the GOG Client installer links. It's also not just the fine print that clarifies which link it is, but the download header. Since like I said I didn't know that they now have bundled links I could have downloaded the wrong files maybe once before learning that lesson, and what would be their gain in being malicious about it? It's not like they're making money for every person who installs the client so at best they're frustrating some users.

It would be good if they remembered your settings (or that you could check your preference in a browser) but this to me just looks like a UI aspect they overlooked.

Edit: I would even call it bad design because I assume their intent is for new users to get the client when buying a game (it's novice friendly so that makes sense to me), but then they're just as likely to get the client-free links if downloading from that page. They could improve this a lot by as suggested in this thread replace the "Try Galaxy" button with two going to the bundled and classic installers respectively, without hiding any option in a submenu.

Top Bottom