• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers |OT| Zero G, With Cliffy B

Bluth54

Good steam reviews and a pretty healthy community on discord though. Since it's a purchased game plus MT then I can see it being very profitable for Boss Key / Nexon.

You don't need huge player numbers to make MT work successfully. So long as the community is healthy (people can get games), and the MT is implemented in a way that makes sense and offers good value, then I'm sure it will be a success for boss key.

Battleborn's problem was
a) multiplayer wasn't healthy, players stopped being able to find matches quickly, because the matchmaking was inherently slow, and players were split across 4 playlists
b) MT offered poor value and seemed cheap to paying consumers. There was no way for regular players to unlock the premium outfits, the prices for each weren't exactly encouraging, and without a randomised loot based system there was no reason to spend any more than the exact amount for the character costume that you wanted

Not saying all of that is consumer friendly practice, but those are the reasons that Battleborn died. Battleborn wasn't popular because of its marketing, but Gearbox killed it with how they handled the community and game. Bringing in features like a new mode, when the community couldn't even fill all of the playlists in the existing modes, was a terrible idea. By the time they converged the playlists everyone was gone. Most people weren't willing to sit and wait 5-10 minutes for a match, understandably.

Lawbreakers had a 24 peak of around 3,000 players. While it's not impossible for those numbers to grow it isn't the type of numbers I imagine the developers wanted to see at launch.
Even it's highest peak player count was around 7,500 during one of the betas which also isn't that great.

E92 M3

Lawbreakers had a 24 peak of around 3,000 players. While it's not impossible for those numbers to grow it isn't the type of numbers I imagine the developers wanted to see at launch.
Even it's highest peak player count was around 7,500 during one of the betas which also isn't that great.

They can keep sustained growth with proper support.

wom but the learning curve of the game may be off putting for some. but it's tons of fun still. hopefully people still find their way getting this game.

Swarna

wom but the learning curve of the game may be off putting for some. but it's tons of fun still. hopefully people still find their way getting this game.

Doesn't stop CSGO and Quake Champions is probably going to do a lot better while requiring a lot more mechanical skill.

Also, fighting games like Tekken and SFV did better launch numbers on Steam.

Well, we'll just see how many people buy it, but with MT driven games, if the model works your game can survive with a surprisingly small number of uses.

I bet even now, there are people on Lawbreakers that have spent more than £100 on lootboxes. If you actually sure the figures from some of these MT driven games.

With that said, it's also why I said they should have promoted the game on console. Titanfall's console version outperformed the PC version more than five fold. There's huge overlap between the Titanfall and Lawbreakers communities, and yet Boss Key treat console players as second class consumers.

The PC version simply shouldn't be the only one that's working properly at launch. They had one piece of hardware to work with (the PS4, two if they wanted PRO support) and relative to tackling the technical issues that come with the myriad of hardware configurations across PCs, getting this game running on a PRO should have been a given.

How long till the console reviews come in and start talking about the broken framerate/stuttering? That bad press is going to be embedded into the games reviews for years to come, if they don't fix the console versions of the game soon (within the next week or so), this game is going to be dead to at least half of their potential userbase.

I think the PC numbers are fine. If there's any concern, it's whether this PS4 launch is ever going to take off. At the moment most of my friends just aren't playing the game, or buying it, because of the issues its facing. They had this month as their launch window, and if Destiny 2 gets much closer this game is going to be gone from their minds.

Doesn't stop CSGO and Quake Champions is probably going to do a lot better while requiring a lot more mechanical skill.

Also, fighting games like Tekken and SFV did better launch numbers on Steam.

Why do you think those games will have more mechanical skill? Movement here is faster than quake, if movement makes accuracy more difficult (logically it does) then there's more room for mechanical skill to influence the level of play in this game. In the end I think it's a silly argument, there's endless room for mechanical skill to influence the level of play in all 3 of those games, all of them reward fine accuracy.

Also, quake champions and cs:go aren't on console.

MastAndo

Under tutorial there's a sandbox mode. Unsure what that is exactly.
Oh, that's good news. I was reading a review from Hardcore Gamer earlier that said this;

"This isn’t the only sacrifice that the PS4 version makes. A game like this, where movement can change based on whether or not the player is inside a zero gravity space and based on the abilities the character class has, requires quite a bit of practice to pull off some of the more skillful maneuvers that will earn the edge. The PC version does pack in a sandbox mode for precisely this reason, allowing the player to practice, while Sony’s console is left by the wayside."

E92 M3

Anyone else think the time between matches is too long? I'd be happy with 30 seconds or 45.

Also, I think Wraith is a little too nerfed. Many times I shot, knifed and the player still lived (not juggernaut).

Budi

https://twitter.com/BossKey/status/894921646997479424

Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say we're busting ass right now to fix the PS4 hitch. It looks like a bug snuck in after beta, we're trying to get a hotfix out ASAP.
Not on PS4 for myself, but appreciate the communication! So thanks for the update and thanks for a really fun game.
Anyone else think the time between matches is too long? I'd be happy with 30 seconds or 45.

Also, I think Wraith is a little too nerfed. Many times I shot, knifed and the player still lived (not juggernaut).
I don't know. I'm used to much longer queues while playing games massively more succesful than this one. Like Wow, Dota 2 and For Honor. It always surprises me how fast matchmaking people are used to. Would be nice if we could open stashes while queueing though.

CS:GO is on XB360 and PS3.

And so is TF2 but that version isn't the same as the one that people are playing today. It hasn't been supported for years.

At the time I meant that Lawbreakers has a chance to sell on console, without competition from those games listed. Very few console players are going to hook up their PS3 to play a legacy version of CS:GO, instead of playing Lawbreakers on their PS4.

https://twitter.com/BossKey/status/894921646997479424

Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say we're busting ass right now to fix the PS4 hitch. It looks like a bug snuck in after beta, we're trying to get a hotfix out ASAP.

The framestutter every 5 seconds... that's people changing roles?

Outside of the stutter I'm having a ball with this on PS4, I really like the map design. I didn't play any of the betas so I'm totally new to it. Looks great on PS4 Pro. Been playing the gunslinger, lot of fun. Still sort of running around a bit clueless, but starting to get a sense of what's going on. The big thing for me is I don't yet have a sense for the health packs/station locations which causes me issues.

I feel for those without a gaming PC and the desire to play LB. After trying it on PS4 and playing through all the closed Alpha's and Beta's on PC... the game is pretty damn different on PS4 and not in a good way. So pumped to get back in though. Love LB and i'm looking forward to how it involves in the next year or so.

Drewfonse

I feel for those without a gaming PC and the desire to play LB. After trying it on PS4 and playing through all the closed Alpha's and Beta's on PC... the game is pretty damn different on PS4 and not in a good way. So pumped to get back in though. Love LB and i'm looking forward to how it involves in the next year or so.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I have had a ball on the PS4.

And so is TF2 but that version isn't the same as the one that people are playing today. It hasn't been supported for years.

At the time I meant that Lawbreakers has a chance to sell on console, without competition from those games listed. Very few console players are going to hook up their PS3 to play a legacy version of CS:GO, instead of playing Lawbreakers on their PS4.

The framestutter every 5 seconds... that's people changing roles?
The thread on twitter says it's people leaving/joining/changing roles/respawning (the worst culprit)

DryvBy

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I have had a ball on the PS4.

Same. I actually had fun this last beta. I've been in the alpha forever and everytime I played, I was bored after a match. This last beta was a much better representation.

The last thing this game needed was launch issues. It's already flying a little under the radar, and the beta numbers were lukewarm. Game is fun as hell, hopefully this gets fixed soon. I'm playing tonight either way.

Theyd have my money if it was on xbox.

The thread on twitter says it's people leaving/joining/changing roles/respawning (the worst culprit)

Ah.

Mostly respawning then.

In the beta it had occasional frame stutters, and I would not be surprised if they were caused by people changing roles, as they do not change roles often. But now it occurs 50+ times per game. People certainly don't change role that many times, but they do tend to respawn a lot.

Drewfonse

Ah.

Mostly respawning then.

In the beta it had occasional frame stutters, and I would not be surprised if they were caused by people changing roles, as they do not change roles often. But now it occurs 50+ times per game. People certainly don't change role that many times, but they do tend to respawn a lot.

Until there's a fix, if people could refrain from dying so much, that would be awesome.

tru0ne

Neo Member
Has anybody received their code from Limited Run Games yet?
Looks like I might have to wait for the disc to ship...

Haven't got a code yet also. I bought the ultimate edition and can't even play it on launch day, I think limited run said they will be sending out codes later this week and the physical copy will ship in September.

Is this game as frustrating as Overwatch in solo queue?
Lawbreakers is much better than Overwatch in that regard

It is a hero game, and it's good to have a varied team, but success is not nearly as dependent on picking roles

Characters are balanced fairly well, you aren't going to really find yourself in situations where you're fucked solely because of your class. And if you're crushing you can absolutely carry your team to victory

You don't need a healer, you don't need anything. If you play well enough you can handle situations on your own. You'll run into things like people aren't playing objectives or guarding your base/goal but I don't think it's nearly as bad as the feeling of a "useless team" in Overwatch. I suppose the only downside in that case is matches are pretty long

Smaller games like this make me really wish Steam didn't show player counts. It's completely capable to have a healthy and active playerbase with smaller 2k-3k numbers, lots of games on Steam do. But because of the visible numbers 90% of the conversation is going to be about it being 'dead on arrival' and 'dying'. I'm even contributing to it now, it's just annoying. I'd rather be talking about the game, which is awesome.

Champloo4

Haven't got a code yet also. I bought the ultimate edition and can't even play it on launch day, I think limited run said they will be sending out codes later this week and the physical copy will ship in September.

I ordered the CE too, and you might be incorrect on the shipment schedule. Product page says it will ship on 8/8 (today) or close to it. Also says we should get codes today, too. Hope so, I'm so excited to jump in.

LArGjOu.png

Is this game as frustrating as Overwatch in solo queue?

No, one of the best parts of LB is that you never feel like you are the wrong class to take a fight. There isn't hard counters like Overwatch where you'll get stunned and killed because you walked around a corner and ran into your hard counter. This makes solo way better because you don't really have to rely that much on your team composition. Getting kills is the most important thing, for everyone.

Smaller games like this make me really wish Steam didn't show player counts. It's completely capable to have a healthy and active playerbase with smaller 2k-3k numbers, lots of games on Steam do. But because of the visible numbers 90% of the conversation is going to be about it being 'dead on arrival' and 'dying'. I'm even contributing to it now, it's just annoying. I'd rather be talking about the game, which is awesome.
People also compare it to Overwatch as though it's anywhere near that scale

It's a small game made by a small new team, elevated by Cliff's name and pedigree

I have to imagine it's way closer to something like Killing Floor 2 than Overwatch lol

Demoskinos

I think the game will be fine. FFS there are people still playing the DOOM multiplayer. Granted that probably got a bit of a surge due to the 6.66 update but even still it's surprising just how many people are playing it right now.

I'm sure Boss key will get this ironed our soon. The game is still at least *mostly* playable in the meantime.

I think the game will be fine. FFS there are people still playing the DOOM multiplayer. Granted that probably got a bit of a surge due to the 6.66 update but even still it's surprising just how many people are playing it right now.

I'm sure Boss key will get this ironed our soon. The game is still at least *mostly* playable in the meantime.

Does this game have SP? Because I imagine a lot of doom's success was on the hopes of a successful SP.

Does this game have SP? Because I imagine a lot of doom's success was on the hopes of a successful SP.
That's not what the poster was saying at all

The multiplayer was received largely negatively from the beta and launch. And people are still playing

Sales were absolutely due to the single player but that alone doesn't keep multiplayer active

It's actually possible to solo carry games with little to no effort from the rest of your teammates in this game, so I'd say it isn't.

Lawbreakers is much better than Overwatch in that regard

It is a hero game, and it's good to have a varied team, but success is not nearly as dependent on picking roles

Characters are balanced fairly well, you aren't going to really find yourself in situations where you're fucked solely because of your class. And if you're crushing you can absolutely carry your team to victory

You don't need a healer, you don't need anything. If you play well enough you can handle situations on your own. You'll run into things like people aren't playing objectives or guarding your base/goal but I don't think it's nearly as bad as the feeling of a "useless team" in Overwatch. I suppose the only downside in that case is matches are pretty long

No, one of the best parts of LB is that you never feel like you are the wrong class to take a fight. There isn't hard counters like Overwatch where you'll get stunned and killed because you walked around a corner and ran into your hard counter. This makes solo way better because you don't really have to rely that much on your team composition. Getting kills is the most important thing, for everyone.

SOLD.

Thanks everyone!

I was sort of interested but there is no demo to try and by the time they get to a free weekend this will almost certainly be dead with no community.

Limited time beta's make no sense when you are a new developer with a new franchise making a MP only game. If someone like me misses out on your limited time beta because of time issues, thats pretty much a lost sale. A demo really should be a priority in cases like these even if it takes significant development time.

I was sort of interested but there is no demo to try and by the time they get to a free weekend this will almost certainly be dead with no community.

Limited time beta's make no sense when you are a new developer with a new franchise making a MP only game. If someone like me misses out on your limited time beta because of time issues, thats pretty much a lost sale. A demo really should be a priority in cases like these even if it takes significant development time.

how does one make a demo of a MP only game. other than trying to get into the alpha/beta.

Top Bottom