• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

Skirn

ESWAT
Not too rare, but I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on GAF before:
E-Swat_box_usa.jpg

Marko's Magic Football:
2022071-586304_38946_front_large.jpg

Apenheul

Also, probably some others have played it, especially in Europe? but I've never heard anyone else talk about Slicks 'n' Slide, the first game I ever sent in money to get the full version for. Found it on one of those 101 shareware games discs, and it was so awesome!
slicks-n-slide-screenshot.png

Yup, especially being able to play with 2 (or maybe it was even 4) players simultanously on the same computer was great about this game.

Btw, anyone else played Super Worms?

gp_new.jpg
battle_new.jpg

fallagin

That N64 game Kablooey. A weird puzzle game with bombs and stuff, pretty cool stuff.

Oh wait it might have been a snes game I think... I'm confused.

Yager

Banned

Loved the game. It may not have been very good, but the idea of your units being giant lego blocks was just really neat.

OMG, that game. I used to play it every fucking day, loved it, and I've never met anyone else who's played it.

Anyway, mine would be this one. Probably lots of people here played it, but, as with the previous one, none of my friends has:

In_Cold_Blood_Coverart.png

sephi22

A game called Three Dirty Dwarves on PC. Beat em up. Thought it was pretty good as a kid. Had nice humor. Probably shit now.

And another game called 'Iron Man and XO Manowar in Heavy Metal'. Side scrolling action game. Not good

elfinke

Cool thread, some great mentions.

I've got a relatively recent game that I hope other awesome and cool GAFfers have played, yet is only very rarely mentioned. It is a Playstation One and PC game that doesn't get mentioned. I was recently reminded of it when watching Giantbomb's Airmech quick look and whilst indulging into a little too much Super MNC.

Futurecop:LAPD

I fucking loved this game on Playstation, pouring many, many hours into it, primarily in multiplayer.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Pretty obscure on GAF, I've never seen these games mentioned ... :

Ring_Game_Box.jpg

The Ring is an SF adventure game based on Wagner's Ring of the Nibelungs with artwork by French comic book artist Druillet.

Atlantisthelosttales.jpg

Mognet

Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1 (as far as i know)
I have never met anyone who has heard of it, let alone played it. It was really fucking hard for me! I never beat it. The intro was really cool. I hope someone on GAF has played it, because then I won't feel so alone.

http://i.imgur.com/69CsO.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hdRzj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mSVJ6.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cUmaq.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MclIvXqkn8"]here's the intro
[/URL][/QUOTE]

I used to own this when I was a kid. I agree it was very difficult and I also didn't get too far but the cover was so cool, I'd keep coming back to it.

Koren

I play a lot of strange japanese games, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone on GAF.

I could use some old obscure Thomson games, but I'll try this one :

jissen-pachinko-hisshouhou-cr-sakura-taisen.jpg

Jissen Pachinko Hisshouhou! CR Sakura Taisen.

Is there here other Sakura Taisen fans crazy enough to have played everything related to the series? Columns games, ST Online games, Mysterious Paris and such obscure tites ?

(I must say that I wanted to try pachinko when I went to Japan, but never dare to do it, so I would have bought a pachislot simulator anyway. Could have been an Evangelion one, though)

Myriadis

Legend of Kay for the PS2.

Although, there was a thread recently about this game. Still, it had just a few posts. One of my favorite games. A solid Zelda-clone.

Goemons Great Adventure for the N64.
I sometimes read about Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon here, but this game? It is one of the best 2.5D Platformers out there.

Koren

pic857167_md.jpg

I really doubt anyone has played this gem. The toy store I bought it in when I was 5 or 6 (24 years ago) just closed last year :(
I have (the french version). Many of those foldable travel games were great, I should have bought more of them when they were available.

Goemons Great Adventure for the N64.
I sometimes read about Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon here, but this game? It is one of the best 2.5D Platformers out there.
I've played both, and I love the side-scroller.

But I'm not sure if this one is the 2.5 side scroller? There's a great cooperative 4-player in the side scroller, and the box seems to say otherwise?

No one propably knows about this one :

dangervalley1ntuva.jpg

dangervalley2g5udy.jpg

dangervalley323urt.jpg

Danger Valley on the C64. Only released on Datasette (Input64) in Germany

Has an awsesome opening tune on the title screen.

You are a treasure hunter. Your goal is to collect a tresure and get back to the village. You need to find a key to open the gate to reach the treasure. You have to carry the treasure home. You also have to fight squid/spider like monsters you see on the second screen. You could even starve to death and ask for directions. That is a fun (and if you crack up the difficulty insanely hard) game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't think I could find any game that noone else here played, but I can at least try:

playful_professor_02.gif

Playful Professor for C64.

Cultures 2 (PC)

skyroads.gif

SkyRoads

But I don't really know which older games sold well and which didn't.

I don't think I could find any game that noone else here played, but I can at least try:

skyroads.gif

SkyRoads

*ZOMG* I know this one! For some weird reason this was on our schools computers in the old computer lab. When we were allowed to play (When schoolwork was done) i played it a few times.

ajim

gfs_8228_2_1.jpg

Duck Maze, NES.

E-060-S-01670-A.jpg

Sea Bass Fishing, Saturn. The best fishing game made.

Baku-Baku-Animal-Sega-Gameplay-Screenshot-3.png

Baku Baku, Saturn (probably not so much this, but I don't think many have played it).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Meremanoid:

meremanoidayq9.jpg

A PS1 RPG about mermaids. I went out of my way to get this because... mermaid RPG. You play as the only merman in existence. Although, with a character who looks like this:

ardin.jpg

I'm sure no one was able to tell.

PSD3D053.jpg

Meremanoid-PSX-NTSC-JAP.jpg

It's been forever since I played this and I never finished it, so I don't remember too much about it actually. Just that the swimming mechanic was really terrible.

More screens: http://www.c-games.info/games,002,6568.html

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
And another game called 'Iron Man and XO Manowar in Heavy Metal'. Side scrolling action game. Not good
Played that one too. It was bad, but kind of fun when played with a friend. I think ScrewAttack or something even did an episode about it.

Myriadis

I've played both, and I love the side-scroller.

But I'm not sure if this one is the 2.5 side scroller? There's a great cooperative 4-player in the side scroller, and the box seems to say otherwise?

Yes, this one is the 2.5D side scroller. The first game is called "Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon", and GGA actually has only 2-player co-op.
After that game, I simply can't see NSMB and DKC Returns as 2.5D Platformers. Goemons Great Adventure had paths that completely went into other directions.

haikira

While I'm sure some people around here must have. I feel like I've never come across anyone, who's played the MMO Legend Of Mir.

250px-DragonRageCover.JPG

Dragon Rage

I really doubt that I'd treading on any toes by saying this game was beyond awful, there was nothing redeeming about it whatsoever. It looked bad, played bad, the design was uninspiring, I could go on.

It's relatively obscure for a reason, I can't believe that I played it!

skyroads.gif

SkyRoads

But I don't really know which older games sold well and which didn't.

I played all three of these, and I'm only sorry for one of them. (Dragon Rage is REALLY BAD.) I think I can add this to the pile:

Scaler_crop.jpg

This was a platformer that released at $20 and was surprisingly good. Its unique thing was that you could shapeshift into some of the enemies in order to use their abilities to progress.

Coxswain

250px-Cyborg_Justice_Coverart.png

Cyborg Justice

I nominate this purely for the fact that I have never heard it mentioned outside of a few brief instances, and even it's been entirely contained to one corner of the internet. It had a quirky gameplay mechanic in that you could replace your own body parts with those of your enemies, which I seem to remember making everything easy. It wasn't particularly long, and I'm pretty sure it didn't have a final boss, but I still remember it fondly. Fucking nostalgia!
Cyborg Justice had a final boss, but the developers were total dicks about it. If you played on Normal, the game would just end on the third-last level; if you played on Hard, the game would end on the second-last level; and only if you played it on the hardest difficulty would you actually get to the last level.
It was a lame version of Civilization, but stuck in the dark ages.

Lords-of-the-Realm-II.png
I remember really loving Lords of the Realm 2, only I was terrible at real-time strategy and twice as terrible at kingdom management, so I only ever managed to win one game, ever, by picking a map where there was only one road into my territory that I could camp thousands of soldiers at, and some of the most ridiculous attrition in the history of video games.

My contribution: Maelstrom, an old PC strategy game so obscure that it took me about three tries to actually Google it.
dOh53.png

I could barely make sense of it and I'd almost always die about half an hour in, but in the time it took me to die I remember doing some pretty awesome stuff by mining my planet and researching weapons that really should have been considered war crimes.

My contribution: Maelstrom, an old PC strategy game so obscure that it took me about three tries to actually Google it.
dOh53.png

I could barely make sense of it and I'd almost always die about half an hour in, but in the time it took me to die I remember doing some pretty awesome stuff by mining my planet and researching weapons that really should have been considered war crimes.

Very intriguing! Now, wasn't there a more recent RTS with the same name, involving land deformation..?

mclem

You are a treasure hunter. Your goal is to collect a tresure and get back to the village. You need to find a key to open the gate to reach the treasure. You have to carry the treasure home. You also have to fight squid/spider like monsters you see on the second screen. You could even starve to death and ask for directions. That is a fun (and if you crack up the difficulty insanely hard) game.

Looks like a clone of Mazogs/Maziacs. Slightly different mechanics, though; no key in Maziacs, but there's a 'releasing prisoners' mechanic.

I could probably do okay on this if I were to delve into either my archive of Spectrum games (The Covenant? Hocus Focus? William Wobbler? Backpackers Guide To The Universe? Prodigy? Kokotoni Wilf? The Gordello Incident?) or my archive of BBC edutainment (Space Mission Mada? Mapventure? Developing Tray? Albert's House? The Lost Frog? The Wizard's Return? Osprey!?)

Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1 (as far as i know)
I have never met anyone who has heard of it, let alone played it. It was really fucking hard for me! I never beat it. The intro was really cool. I hope someone on GAF has played it, because then I won't feel so alone.

['IMG]http://i.imgur.com/69CsO.jpg[/IMG]
['IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hdRzj.jpg[/IMG]
['IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mSVJ6.jpg[/IMG]
['IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cUmaq.jpg[/IMG]

here's the intro

My cousin had just moved out from his parents when this came out and her boyfriend was playing this but he sucked and needed my help. Played it so much and it was great. didn't it come with those shitty 3d glasses? See lots of love on it from GAF. Another world is still better though. :p

Toppot

Glad to see none of these posted yet
G2Fff.png

A great puzzle game that I have seen nothing like since. It's just begging for a iOS port or a proper PSN/Steam/XBLA remake

Ot0lp.jpg

A Jazz Jackrabbit clone with attitude, never got past the first level but was really fun.

8TGyv.jpg

An awful awful game, like a 3d Pacman, that has actually gotten and iOS port. If anyone out there has played this we can shed a tear together.

pfkas

An oldie but it got my juices flowing when I was little: Twin Kingdom Valley. A text adventure with GRAPHICS on the Acorn Electron..

s-tk001.gif

I guess some of the older folk may have played it but hey

failing that, one of the first games on the PS2: Ring of Red

Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg

An SRPG based on Mechs

Top Bottom