• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: ‘This ain’t right,’ Bill Cosby defense attorney says in Cosby Case.

KSweeley

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-just-6-minutes-jury-deliberations-to-begin/

He blamed it on lies. He blamed it on greed. He blamed it on the media.

For two hours on Monday, Bill Cosby’s attorney — flipping between stage-whispered intimacy and ear-splitting verbal explosions — ran through a long list of possible culprits he said are responsible for landing his client at the center of one of the most high-profile criminal cases in recent American history.

“This ain’t right!” bellowed Cosby attorney Brian McMonagle in his closing argument. Earlier in the day, he had raced through a startlingly brief, six-minute defense, bringing to a close testimony in the sexual-assault case against the 79-year-old comedian.

McMonagle apologized at one point for his “Irish-Italian” temper during his pyrotechnic closing argument. He had the difficult task of stemming the momentum built by prosecutors during an intense week of testimony that included an emotional appearance by Andrea Constand, a former Temple University women’s basketball staffer who says Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in 2004. Constand has said that Cosby took advantage of his role as her mentor and slipped her pills that left her “frozen” and unable to stop him from touching her breasts and genitals.

McMonagle, a prominent Philadelphia defense attorney, accused Constand of telling “a stone-cold lie.”

McMonagle was intent on persuading the seven-man, five-woman jury that Constand was a “lover” of the comedian — not a victim.

“It’s a relationship,” he said.

Alavard

Rather than focus on the sexual assault allegations, McMonagle tried to present jurors with a broader sense of Cosby as a flawed man, an “unfaithful” husband, but also a brilliant comedian, “who not only taught us how to smile but how to love each other no matter what we look like

Especially if you look like you're unconscious, apparently.

The defense also had this beautiful statement from the other day which amounts to "the only thing worse than ruining a woman's life is ruining a man's life":

“Sexual assault is a terrible crime,” attorney Brian McMonagle told jurors during the first day of Cosby's trial. "The only thing that is worse than that is the false accusation of sexual assault... It can destroy a man. It can destroy his life. It can destroy his future... I get a chance with your help to protect a man from the destruction of the rest of his life.”

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Constand has said that Cosby took advantage of his role as her mentor and slipped her pills that left her “frozen” and unable to stop him from touching her breasts and genitals.

McMonagle, a prominent Philadelphia defense attorney, accused Constand of telling “a stone-cold lie

That's a really bad use of words :S

Damn this is what I get for being even slightly optimistic, I thought the defense attorney was talking about defending cosby and just threw up his hands and gave up

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So Cosby is innocent but a drug addicted sexually irresistible elderly man who cheated on his wife over sixty times?

This ain't right.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The defense also had this beautiful statement from the other day which amounts to "the only thing worse than ruining a woman's life is ruining a man's life":
“Sexual assault is a terrible crime,” attorney Brian McMonagle told jurors during the first day of Cosby's trial. "The only thing that is worse than that is the false accusation of sexual assault... It can destroy a man. It can destroy his life. It can destroy his future... I get a chance with your help to protect a man from the destruction of the rest of his life.”

My jaw dropped at this. What an absolute fucking scumbag. I have no words.

Go fuck yourself forever, McMonagle.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I mean... that isn't even remotely close to what you quoted. His quote is 100% valid..

i.e. "one thing worse than a woman's life being ruined by sexual assault, is a man's life being ruined by a FALSE CLAIM of sexual assault"

he's not wrong. I'm NOT saying Cosby is innocent.. regardless, because of the laws in this country, a woman's life being ruined by a horrible horrible moment is definitely on par, give or take, with a man's life being ruined by a horrible horrible moment that never in fact happened. Being registered as a sex offender for something that never happened (again, not talking about Cosby) pretty much eliminates a near infinite number of possibilities from a person's future and the emotional repercussions that comes with that.. Is that better or worse than the emotional and physical scars a woman can suffer? I don't know.. but pointing it out certainly isn't unreasonable.

That being said.. where I stand on this case.... is pretty much regardless of if Cosby is guilty of THIS specific case... as he has essentially admitted to similar events in the past. So if he didn't actually do anything... the man has comeuppance coming for the shit he HAS admitted to.

jay

I mean... that isn't even remotely close to what you quoted. His quote is 100% valid..

i.e. "one thing worse than a woman's life being ruined by sexual assault, is a man's life being ruined by a FALSE CLAIM of sexual assault"

he's not wrong. I'm NOT saying Cosby is innocent.. regardless, because of the laws in this country, a woman's life being ruined by a horrible horrible moment is definitely on par, give or take, with a man's life being ruined by a horrible horrible moment that never in fact happened. Being registered as a sex offender for something that never happened (again, not talking about Cosby) pretty much eliminates a near infinite number of possibilities from a person's future and the emotional repercussions that comes with that.. Is that better or worse than the emotional and physical scars a woman can suffer? I don't know.. but pointing it out certainly isn't unreasonable.

That being said.. where I stand on this case.... is pretty much regardless of if Cosby is guilty of THIS specific case... as he has essentially admitted to similar events in the past. So if he didn't actually do anything... the man has comeuppance coming for the shit he HAS admitted to.

Pointing it out is entirely unreasonable and bizarre. Normal people in the public eye would not want to get within miles of a debate that being raped is better than being falsely accused of rape.

Zyae

you guys understand that a case needs to actual be made with a legal basis to convict someone right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

.......What the fuck is wrong with you?

Considering that REAL RAPISTS get away with it constantly, even when convicted they get a slap on the wirst, so the argument that a man's life is "ruined" at an accusation is pretty horseshit.

And moreover, saying that it's worse than the life-long trauma of actually being raped? Are you fucking kidding me?

BigDug13

He's losing his senses as he slowly dies and he's been publicly shamed. Unfortunately, that's probably as far as this will go because there's simply no evidence. I'm sure if the testimony of the 30+ other women who have now exceeded the statute of limitations were allowed to testify, the case would be stronger.

It's unfortunate he'll possibly walk. But at least his legacy will never forget that the real Cosby was a manipulative serial rapist and disgusting hypocritical human being. It's not justice, yet it's more justice than many women will ever see.

borghe

Pointing it out is entirely unreasonable and bizarre. Normal people in the public eye would not want to get within miles of a debate that being raped is better than being falsely accused of rape.

ok, absolutely reasonable point. however it is his job to defend someone, so pointing it out (though inappropriate in a normal setting) is literally his job.

.......What the fuck is wrong with you?

Considering that REAL RAPISTS get away with it constantly, even when convicted they get a slap on the wirst, so the argument that a man's life is "ruined" at an accusation is pretty horseshit.

And moreover, saying that it's worse than the life-long trauma of actually being raped? Are you fucking kidding me?

so because real rapists get away with it (which is obviously fucking awful), fuck those also who are wrongly convicted? And you seem to ignore that there is lifelong trauma that comes with a wrongful conviction.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
so because real rapists get away with it (which is obviously fucking awful), fuck those also who are wrongly convicted?
Didn't say that

And you seem to ignore that there is lifelong trauma that comes with a wrongful conviction.
You're the one who is dismissive of the lifelong trauma of sexual assault. SMH, I can't believe there's a defense force for this shit

All this leads me to believe Cosby will walk. :(

borghe

You're the one who is dismissive of the lifelong trauma of sexual assault. SMH, I can't believe there's a defense force for this shit
Dismissive my ass. Both are horrible, life altering traumas. End of story.

Also you can't believe there's a defense force for innocent men (which Cosby is absolutely and self admittedly not), being convicted, imprisoned and registered as sex offenders?

I mean, I don't think anyone believes that being falsely accused of rape is a good thing, but there's a reason people are not comfortable saying it's the same as actually being raped. Surely you can recognize why you're getting push-back.

Saying it's a legitimate issue is perfectly reasonable, but you can do that without trying to modify how women feel about their experiences.

borghe

I mean, I don't think anyone believes that being falsely accused of rape is a good thing, but there's a reason people are not comfortable saying it's the same as actually being raped. Surely you can recognize why you're getting push-back.

yes, I agreed to that above. I definitely understand the push back.. I mean it's his job.. but is definitely tone deaf as fuck. Then again as his job, he just needs one juror to side with it.

Hopefully they convict Cosby.. the man is utterly despicable.

Top Bottom