• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congress to Pruitt: We’re Not Cutting EPA Budget to Trump’s Levels

Members of the congressional committee responsible for the Environmental Protection Agency's budget—Republican and Democrat alike—made clear Thursday they have no intention of approving the White House's proposal to slash the agency's spending.

In a hearing, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt defended the Trump administration's budget plan for the first time on Capitol Hill, insisting that the agency he leads could fulfill its mission under a plan that cuts its budget more than any other federal agency's.

On climate change, the committee members divided along party lines on whether they supported the Trump administration's decision to exit the Paris accord. Pruitt, who was a chief proponent of the move, claimed that President Donald Trump would "continue engagement" on the subject. But most of the hearing focused on other issues, with members of both parties driving home the point that Congress will not pass a budget that cuts the EPA's funding by 31 percent and eliminates nearly 50 of the agency's programs.
More in the link.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/15062017/scott-pruitt-epa-budget-hearing-congress-opposes-trump-cuts

Rep. David Joyce (R-Ohio) balked at the idea of cutting the Great Lakes Initiative. To avoid forcing either Pruitt or Trump to bear the brunt of his criticism, he began to refer to the budget by the name of Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, a former congressman. "Simply put, the Mulvaney budget appears to largely remove the federal government as a partner in all of our efforts to manage and to Great Lakes," Joyce said.

Identifying_Invertebrates_by_R._Bruce_Hoadley.jpeg

"Climate change to us is very real. It's not an environmental platitude," she said. Maine lobstermen, she said, "look at me with fear in their eyes because we are watching the migration of lobsters, as we've seen the disappearance of shrimping. This is important to their identity; it's important economically. I can't go home to people and say this isn't happening. I can't go home and say ocean acidification isn't happening."

Referring to Pruitt's home state and his well-document close relationship with its biggest industry, Pingree said, "I know it's different in Oklahoma, where you have the fossil fuel industry in your backyard," she said. "But I represent a state in the tailpipe of the fossil fuel industry."

Dang.

The GOP has done not-shitty things for like three days straight now. I like this almost-pattern we've got here.

It's the one big benefit of not having term limits for Congress. They have to worry about the long game a bit more than somebody like Trump who only has to deal with the short term fallout. While they don't care about what happens to the US in 50 years, if the EPA budget gets so blatantly bad that increases in pollution are obvious even to the biggest anti-environmentalists, they're going to feel it in the next 10-20 years.

Blader

Very strange for a department head to be ok with a slashed budget, party before country strikes again

Pruitt was suing the EPA for years as Oklahoma's AG. He was specifically chosen for that job so he could dismantle it from the inside.

teiresias

"Agency Head Goes Before Congress to Demand Less Money"

It's certainly a new headline.

Pruitt is an actual Trump appointee who has kissed the ring and no doubt "pledged loyalty." The EPA is not operating with an acting head that has been there for decades.

Poona

Pruitt needs to go. It's a disgrace he was approved.

Someone who wants to rip down the place he's supposedly in charge of is just messed up.

Get Rekt, Bitches

cDByzw8.gif

kswiston

Even Republicans like hunting and fishing. A lot of Congress members are old enough to remember the Great Lakes during the 60s and 70s when Lake Erie was nearly a dead lake.

Top Bottom