• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

Oni Jazar said:
You're telling me that anyone within Sony can just use their engine? I doubt it.

Sharing some tech is most likely. But for the most part if seems like Sony teams are building their own engines with the majority of their games instead of just carrying over engines for different games. I guess that's why alot of their games tend to stand out in a field of so many developers using the UNREAL engine.

spwolf said:
and Julian is awesome:
"Buy all 3 systems, all are awesome. Please do not be angry at us for doing this on PS3"
:lol
Ya that was pretty funny "Sorry that were exclusive to Sony on this one we'll make up for it" < I guess that Wii will get something cool from Factor 5 in time.....
KTallguy said:
Look at the draw distance, the amount of stuff on screen!

Lair owned.
Are you the guy that was on 1up for that VF5 thing?

If it is you I lol when you said "Shane press a lot of button and may look like he knows what he is doing, but his moves suck in the end" :lol
Oni Jazar said:
You're telling me that anyone within Sony can just use their engine? I doubt it.

Great news if true however. Sad fact that visually Gamecube never surpassed the Rogue Squadron games. If only Factor 5 would have shared some of their knowledge.
I never got a cube sadly. But I did try the demo for Rouge Squadron in a Circuit City years ago, and it really made me want a Gamecube. Not to mention all the other Nintendo games.........

The graphics were really good if I remember correctly.
SolidSnakex said:
Sharing some tech is most likely. But for the most part if seems like Sony teams are building their own engines with the majority of their games instead of just carrying over engines for different games. I guess that's why alot of their games tend to stand out in a field of so many developers using the UNREAL engine.
Word.

Kittonwy

Banned
Oni Jazar said:

Great news if true however. Sad fact that visually Gamecube never surpassed the Rogue Squadron games. If only Factor 5 would have shared some of their knowledge.

Naughty Dog's engine should be comparable if not better in some areas, but why do other Sony developers have to use Factor 5's engine? They might not be trying to achieve what Factor 5 is trying to do with Lair in terms of scale and macro/micro transition, right?

What I like most about the sharing tech. thing sony is doing with 1st and 2nd party dev. is that once they get a good solid engine with the proper libraries and such. Games should become cheaper for them and 1st and 2nd party studios will be able to put out exclusive content annually i.e. Insomniac. This approach is in the same vein of Nintendo, but sony sured up the ends with its WWS iniative, it was a brilliant move.

gogogow

ELS-01X said:
WTF. What are you basing this on?
Yeah, I don't think they are comparable. They both Factor 5 and ND, are doing different things.
Factor 5 are, in which they are very good in, pushing polygons, a lot of polygons on screen with many many objects on screen on a larger scale (ground and air), while ND are pushing, probably animation and on a relatively smaller scale. Although we haven't seen a lot of stuff from Uncharted.

gogogow said:
Yeah, I don't think they are comparable. They both Factor 5 and ND, are doing different things.
Factor 5 are, in which they are very good in, pushing polygons, a lot of polygons on screen with many many objects on screen on a larger scale (ground and air), while ND are pushing, probably animation and on a relatively smaller scale. Although we haven't seen a lot of stuff from Uncharted.

From Jak games, ND pushed a ton of polygons...I wouldnt be surprised if uncharted was pretty much seamless...the Jak games were to all purposes...so if this is not I will be a little bit pissed

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Factor 5 if you read this...please make a new Turrican with this engine....but replace the dragons with aircrafts....keep the post apocalyptic setting, with ruins and stuff....make the onfoot sections fps....throw some cool weapons in there....keep the big ass monster-enemies....write a good story....and throw in some wow moments like an allout battle where thousands of people are shooting at each other...and some other stuff...

Trust me guys you guys can't go wrong with that....

Madman

RamzaIsCool said:
Factor 5 if you read this...please make a new Turrican with this engine....but replace the dragons with aircrafts....keep the post apocalyptic setting, with ruins and stuff....make the onfoot sections fps....throw some cool weapons in there....keep the big ass monster-enemies....write a good story....and throw in some wow moments like an allout battle where thousands of people are shooting at each other...and some other stuff...

Trust me guys you guys can't go wrong with that....

Pretty sure Turrican will be a PSN game soon. If that's any consulation.

Kittonwy

Banned
ELS-01X said:
WTF. What are you basing this on?

In Naughty Dog we trust. They were doing streaming, seamless world games back on the PS2, it's not a knock against Factor 5.
Indifferent2.gif

Let the pagans come! I love that line so much, I'm watching the movies again, and again.
This dude is like Kratos, only that his powers come from the beast he has control over. Pretty awesome stuff, also I love how violent this game is, jumping on some dude, and punching him in the air, so he actually dies before the landing, nailing dragons with spear on chain, ripping heads off, dropping beasts into the water, burning teh furriez.

I wonder how deep the story really goes, there's way more action than just "kingdom vs. kingdom", I expect to see friend vs friend and human vs. his own pet. The way pt.1 of walkthorough starts shows that bonds between main character and his dragon are strong.

And finally: I want to ride the Fire Dragon, it looks so brutal and awesome.

Edit: And F5 better make dragon tamagotchi! I want to feed my virtual pet with living people.

ELS-01X

Banned
Kittonwy said:
In Naughty Dog we trust. They were doing streaming, seamless world games back on the PS2, it's not a knock against Factor 5.
Indifferent2.gif
So you're basing on expectations rather than actual footage. Meh...

Kittonwy

Banned
ELS-01X said:
So you're basing on expectations rather than actual footage. Meh...

Because they haven't released any footage recently? From what I've seen on Game Informer Issue 168, it looks very impressive, whether it's in-game character detail, lighting, animations, vegetation or environments. Both Uncharted and Lair are going to be fantastic-looking games, it's a win-win for me.
Indifferent2.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SolidSnakex said:

Unreal can be used for whatever really. Blue Dragon, Gears of War. Nuff said:)

Ether_Snake said:

Didn't say it couldn't. But go look in the technically impressive thread, the majority of the games listed (specifically for upcoming games) are games built o their own es and not licensed engines even though there's alot of UNREAL engine based games coming out.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
SolidSnakex said:
Didn't say it couldn't. But go look in the technically impressive thread, the majority of the games listed (specifically for upcoming games) are games built o their own es and not licensed engines even though there's alot of UNREAL engine based games coming out.

TRUE DAT

SolidSnakex said:

I think it probably has something to do with the fact the developers that are more capable of pulling of technological impressive games, want the full control of creating their games and looks While others just want the tools to build their games and not worry so much in the nitty gritty level of things. Either because of overall team talent, budget, time, or interest.

Aaron

Ether_Snake said:
Blue Dragon is Artoon's own engine. Nothing to do with Unreal. You're thinking of Lost Odessey

ELS-01X

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Because they haven't released any footage recently? From what I've seen on Game Informer Issue 168, it looks very impressive, whether it's in-game character detail, lighting, animations, vegetation or environments.
All in a VERY TINY environment with few things going on. Sorry but Lair is leagues ahead of Uncharted. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SolidSnakex said:

Yeah but I don't think it's related. It's just that most good games come from developers that are good enough to use what they want to use, which usually means their own technology. Developers that use Unreal usually have that choice imposed on them to limit costs. Hence great games do not seek to limit such costs, and therefore the mentality that goes with that is "We'll make our own engine! Yeah!":)

EDIT: Yeah what gketter said:p

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah but I don't think it's related. It's just that most good games come from developers that are good enough to use what they want to use, which usually means their own technology. Developers that use Unreal usually have that choice imposed on them to limit costs. Hence great games do not seek to limit such costs, and therefore the mentality that goes with that is "We'll make our own engine! Yeah!":)

EDIT: Yeah what gketter said:p

yea speaking of the thread with all the most impressive technology games. I don't think its a coincidence that Gears of War was mentioned so much in the thread. And that Epic has by far the best looking game using their own engine.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dai said:
iirc, blue dragon is using a custom-built engine. and lost odyssey is using ue3.

?!?!?!?!

I always heard that Blue Dragon was using it, always always alwayzors.

Maybe both? Give me a source if you have one (just interested)? Thanks

Kittonwy

Banned
ELS-01X said:
All in a VERY TINY environment with few things going on. Sorry but Lair is leagues ahead of Uncharted. :)

Are you sure? Uncharted's setting is a chain of islands, right? That's a pretty big environment, obviously Uncharted doesn't have to go all macro like Lair because it's a different type of game. Lair's engine is obviously very impressive, but Naughty Dog has been at the forefront in terms of creating a massive streaming world in a console game.
Indifferent2.gif

ELS-01X

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Are you sure? Uncharted's setting is a chain of islands, right? That's a pretty big environment, obviously Uncharted doesn't have to go all macro like Lair because it's a different type of game. Lair's engine is obviously very impressive, but Naughty Dog has been at the forefront in terms of creating a massive streaming world in a console game.
Indifferent2.gif
Until there's footage that supports your WISHFUL speculation, there's no other way around it. Lair >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
ELS-01X said:
Until there's footage that supports your WISHFUL speculation, there's no other way around it. Lair >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted.

Sounds like he's leaving the door open based on what Naughty Dog has achieved in the past, don't be so tunnel visioned. We don't know all that much about Uncharted yet other than an old video and a few new screenshots.

Aaron

Ether_Snake said:
?!?!?!?!

I always heard that Blue Dragon was using it, always always alwayzors.

Maybe both? Give me a source if you have one (just interested)? Thanks
Just like... every interview given involving Blue Dragon. I don't know where you heard it used Unreal since I've never once heard any actual developer / journalist say that.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Aaron said:
Just like... every interview given involving Blue Dragon. I don't know where you heard it used Unreal since I've never once heard any actual developer / journalist say that.
Yup. Blue Dragon is using a 100% custom engine built by Artoon. Lost Odyssey uses UE3.

ELS-01X

Banned
Thunderbear said:
Sounds like he's leaving the door open based on what Naughty Dog has achieved in the past, don't be so tunnel visioned. We don't know all that much about Uncharted yet other than an old video and a few new screenshots.
And because of tha, don't go around saying "this engine is comparable" when you don't have anything to back it up :)

Sandman7

Ynos Yrros said:
Let the pagans come! I love that line so much, I'm watching the movies again, and again.
This dude is like Kratos, only that his powers come from the beast he has control over. Pretty awesome stuff, also I love how violent this game is, jumping on some dude, and punching him in the air, so he actually dies before the landing, nailing dragons with spear on chain, ripping heads off, dropping beasts into the water, burning teh furriez.

I wonder how deep the story really goes, there's way more action than just "kingdom vs. kingdom", I expect to see friend vs friend and human vs. his own pet. The way pt.1 of walkthorough starts shows that bonds between main character and his dragon are strong.

And finally: I want to ride the Fire Dragon, it looks so brutal and awesome.

Edit: And F5 better make dragon tamagotchi! I want to feed my virtual pet with living people.

Nintendragons coming to a portable console near you!

theBishop

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

That would make a great foundation for a ****ing AWESOME PSP spinoff!

Ready at Dawn... start yer engines!

Ynos Yrros said:

Are you talking about being able to breed the dragons? Because Julian said that if that's what people wanted they'd add that in as downloadable content.

ELS-01X said:
We don't know the size of the game yet though. Also I'm expecting a Crysis like jungle something LAIR doesn't have. It could be just as amazing as the LAIR engine in different aspects :D
SolidSnakex said:
Are you talking about being able to breed the dragons? Because Julian said that if that's what people wanted they'd add that in as downloadable content.
That would be the coolest downloadable content everrrrr.

If it's free that is. I don't know if I will ever buy content for a console unless it's a PSN/XBL arcade type game like Calling all Cars.

ELS-01X said:
His wishful speculation is already supported by a preview that appeared in GameInformer. Uncharted is a free roaming game, in which you have a huge island to explore.

SolidSnakeex said:
I know, so you guys better want it >:[. Do we have any F5 viral marketers here?

Ynos Yrros said:
His wishful speculation is already supported by a preview that appeared in GameInformer. Uncharted is a free roaming game, in which you have a huge island to explore.

pretty much like Jak 3. Massive world and cities, no loading, great lod etc.

I doubt it will be free roaming though! Uncharted has got to have a mission structure. I hope it's like MGS3 :)

Doom_Bringer said:

I doubt it will be free roaming though! Uncharted has got to have a mission structure. I hope it's like MGS3 :)
I believe that they already confirmed that you will be free to explore the island.

Ynos Yrros said:
I believe that they already confirmed that you will be free to explore the island.

oh of course, you can explore the world in the Jak games as well... but only between missions. I have no idea what the game structure will be like :p I guess it will be like the Jak games.

Huge world, getting missions from a PDA or something, free to explore with jeeps, jet ski's and maybe an airborne vehciles

Doom_Bringer said:

They need a camouflage system in Uncharted. You could go in guns blazing or stealthy. 0_o

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom_Bringer said:
oh of course, you can explore the world in the Jak games as well... but only between missions. I have no idea what the game structure will be like :p I guess it will be like the Jak games.

Huge world, getting missions from a PDA or something, free to explore with jeeps, jet ski's and maybe an airborne vehciles
No way. I really hope they don't go crazy with the whole 'mission' concept. I'm so sick of that.

InterMoniker said:
They need a camouflage system in Uncharted. You could go in guns blazing or stealthy. 0_o

Looks like it uses a next gen camo system. The guy you play as is a explorer so keep that in mind, he is no Snake. His clothes will get dirty as he explorers the island

InterMoniker said:
They need a camouflage system in Uncharted. You could go in guns blazing or stealthy.
You can get dirt on your clothes in Uncharted, just do the barrel roll right into the mud.
I hope you can finish that game just by punching the evil dudes from behind, with those animations it would never get boring.

dark10x said:
No way. I really hope they don't go crazy with the whole 'mission' concept. I'm so sick of that.

I was just guessing, I don't which route they are taking but the game will have 90 minutes of high quality cinematics

ELS-01X

Banned
InterMoniker said:
We don't know the size of the game yet though. Also I'm expecting a Crysis like jungle something LAIR doesn't have. It could be just as amazing as the LAIR engine in different aspects :D
Wishful speculation again.

Ynos Yrros said:
Yeah but how much is being rendered at once? How big is the draw distance? How many enemies on screen? etc...

ELS-01X said:

Yeah but how much is being rendered at once? How big is the draw distance? How many enemies on screen? etc...
Yup it is wishful speculation again.
Doom_Bringer said:
Looks like it uses a next gen camo system. The guy you play as is a explorer so keep that in mind, he is no Snake. His clothes will get dirty as he explorers the island
Awesome. I'll lurk out of the mud and take someone hostage CQC style.
Ynos Yrros said:
You can get dirt on your clothes in Uncharted, just do the barrel roll right into the mud.
I hope you can finish that game just by punching the evil dudes from behind, with those animations it would never get boring.
CQC for the win !!!11!!!1!!

ELS-01X said:

You really didn't pay attention to what was in in Lair's developer walkthrough. It seems that there is a ton of super detailed stuff being rendered at once, but it's not true. They are using texture streaming and progressive mesh, that's why things look amazing up close and from far away. I don't think that Lair is pushing more shaders/polygons than Uncharted.

Top Bottom