• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 reacquires Turrican license (Interview with Factor 5 founder)

Shiggy

I thought Factor 5 was dead.

Factor 5, Inc. -> BluHarvest, LLC (later renamed to WhiteHarvest, LLC) -> SabreClash Incorporated -> Factor 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR

The first Factor 5 and the last Factor 5 are different entities. The first was the studio that went for bankruptcy. All of these companies were controlled by the same people and were basically needed to keep Factor 5 assets away from creditors.

screenshot2017-03-18a5gkfh.png
Factor 5 -> BluHarvest

WhiteHarvest -> Sabreclash

Sabreclash -> Factor 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR

Lutherian

Oh, wow !

Chris Huelsbeck is sending a survey about the next Kickstarter campaign (about Turrican 1 Orchestral soundtrack), and there's something very neat inside :

O : Have a say on the music for the virtual Turrican 4 Soundtrack! Decide on which imaginary levels (desert? factory? YOUR own choice!) Chris should compose the music for.

the virtual Turrican 4 Soundtrack!

Turrican 4 Soundtrack!

Turrican 4

Please, make it real, not virtual ! Dat teasing is killing me :p

There has been bad blood between Trenz and Factor 5 for decades. No idea if that changed.

He is back indeed, Chris stated it (and he also said that he spam him every two weeks to know when they start the new Turrican). For years, I couldn't get any talk between Chris and Manfred (I've been in touch with Manfred Trenz because I'm writing a book called Denaris, nammed just like the game he did on the C64 and with Chris during the time Thornado was supposedly in the works on GameCube). No one wanted to say a single thing about each other.

Perhaps finally including him for a new Turrican was enough for Manfred to come back ?

Oh god, stop it !
The Virtual Turrican 4 Cover :
FhTnLPCi-JqKKqa7kGWRAsK2tidTYJVzQ5JthAxfDb68hYrBqKoQJITmYo0Hf8dlMgvN16H1qw=w740

Sakujou

Banned
DANKE DANKE DANKE und bitte veröffentlicht doch die Rogue Squadron Trilogie für Switch! ;)

großes dito auch von mir!

i really hope factor 5 will become as glorious as they were in the n64/gc days.

they squeezed every drip of juice of of the gc back then, right at the start. its still one of the best looking gc games ever created.

i hope, they hop onboard and bring some awesome stuff.

they should release a vritual console release of the old turrican games to make people ready for the new turrican.

i rarely buy games i already own, but here i would just show, that THEY are welcomed with everything they should.

Fularu

Banned
großes dito auch von mir!

i really hope factor 5 will become as glorious as they were in the n64/gc days.

they squeezed every drip of juice of of the gc back then, right at the start. its still one of the best looking gc games ever created.

i hope, they hop onboard and bring some awesome stuff.
I don't want (nor like) N64/GC F5, they were a star wars factory

I want Amiga days F5

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The real question is what talent can they rehire. I imagine most of the previous senior devs have long since moved on. Rebuilding what made f5 f5 we knew would take at least a few years.

Old game studios have come back before as deranged shells of their past. Ex: big huge game went from rise of nations to some money grabbing smart phone game.

Datschge

He is back indeed, Chris stated it (and he also said that he spam him every two weeks to know when they start the new Turrican). For years, I couldn't get any talk between Chris and Manfred (I've been in touch with Manfred Trenz because I'm writing a book called Denaris, nammed just like the game he did on the C64 and with Chris during the time Thornado was supposedly in the works on GameCube). No one wanted to say a single thing about each other.

Perhaps finally including him for a new Turrican was enough for Manfred to come back ?
That's great news, glad to hear. To me this is bigger news than Factor 5 reforming. Hope this does lead to a new Turrican then!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just got into this series recently, unfortunately my first experience was the BRUTAL Genesis Turrican, which very nearly turned me off. Luckily the 2 SNES ones were really good... A new one with awesome Chris Hulsebeck music and 2D art would be crazy! Sort of like what they did for Blaster Master on Switch.

Turrican3

I don't want (nor like) N64/GC F5, they were a star wars factory

I want Amiga days F5
Well, if they somehow manage to pull another Turrican1-2 like the ones they made on the Amiga I'm all for it as well!

And by the way, I put a reference to this stuff in the survey, hope Chris appreciates it. :p

Metalmarc

Ooh Turrican thats a blast from the Past, part 2 was on my first ever Demo Tape from a magazine for the Commodore 64, and i remember borrowing Universal Soldier off a mate years later on the Megadrive with no idea about the game put it in and it was a Turrican Clone.

Fularu

Banned
Ooh Turrican thats a blast from the Past, part 2 was on my first ever Demo Tape from a magazine for the Commodore 64, and i remember borrowing Universal Soldier off a mate years later on the Megadrive with no idea about the game put it in and it was a Turrican Clone.
It's Turrican 2 with Universal Soldier theme pasted all over it (so JCV and Dolph Lundrgen) and missing the two shmup levels

It sucks

I'd assume that a new Turrican would be a Kickstarter using an external studio for the grunt work. And I'd prefer that over a rehash of the old games. As cool as Turrican II is, it's mostly the music and style carrying it. A re-release would be slammed for the janky control.

I also hope they don't try to reimagine it too much. There aren't many solid sidescrolling shooters. It doesn't have to be a Metroidvania or anything. See also: Shadow of the Beast, or for that matter, the HORRIBLE Flashback remake.

Would be hyped if they found a way to rerelease the Super Turrican ROM they had lying around with the extra stages that had to be cut for cartridge space.

Maybe it could be released on the Switch eShop? Square Enix is rereleasing SNES roms in the Mana collection.

thelastword

Banned
Wow Julian is still around, I love this guy's passion, he sold me on Lair back in the day...Lair didn't fare well, but his team is very talented...I wish to see these guys work on something more in their domain...Give these guys a stab at colony wars reboot Sony....

Top Bottom