• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

ShyMel

An UtaPri game will always be my dream otome localization, but I'm happy with just about anything else, other than more Amnesia/Period Cube types.

Saphirax

Asked 2 Aksys ppl who confirmed for me that otome as a genre has been doing pretty well for them, so keep on giving them all ur money.

https://twitter.com/ManaMiz3r/status/882482694268964868

Aksys also told @sadlilgal, @tifpod, and me that they've been trying to get KBO. But it's really up to Spike.

Just Spike Chunsoft being Spike Chunsoft.

https://twitter.com/ManaMiz3r/status/882482273358036993

I'm dead tired from AX, but I do have some news to share: Manga Gamer said they are working on getting rights to more otome titles.

On one hand - more otome, yay! On the other, MG would just make a PC port and that's it.

https://twitter.com/ManaMiz3r/status/882480936616509441

jzbluz

On one hand - more otome, yay! On the other, MG would just make a PC port and that's it.

https://twitter.com/ManaMiz3r/status/882480936616509441

I don't doubt MG, but I'm impatient to see what else they license.

Toybox, the developer of 7'scarlet, seems pretty excited about Aksys licensing the game and wants to add extra scenes(?). It would be great if it happened but that's probably up to Otomate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomioKanazawa/status/881490767537033220

jonjonaug

I was at AX and asked Aksys about getting stuff other than Otomate games after the panel ended, mentioning Dance with Devils and Kenka Banchou Otome in particular. The woman I talked to said that she agrees that they'd like to branch out more and would love to work on those two games in particular, but that outside of Otomate they don't have as great a relationship with other companies producing otome games. I asked if Rejet was impossible and if Spike Chunsoft wanted to do their otome efforts internally, and she basically confirmed both.

Regarding Mangagamer: Good_Haro's always trying to get more BL and otome stuff for them so I'm not worried on that front.

jzbluz

I was at AX and asked Aksys about getting stuff other than Otomate games after the panel ended, mentioning Dance with Devils and Kenka Banchou Otome in particular. The woman I talked to said that she agrees that they'd like to branch out more and would love to work on those two games in particular, but that outside of Otomate they don't have as great a relationship with other companies producing otome games. I asked if Rejet was impossible and if Spike Chunsoft wanted to do their otome efforts internally, and she basically confirmed both.

Regarding Mangagamer: Good_Haro's always trying to get more BL and otome stuff for them so I'm not worried on that front.

They have a working relationship with Toybox, who developed Side Kicks! Although they are not the publisher, maybe they could help Aksys negotiate with Extend to get the game licensed.

Toybox, the developer of 7'scarlet, seems pretty excited about Aksys licensing the game and wants to add extra scenes(?). It would be great if it happened but that's probably up to Otomate.

I did not know 7'scarlet was Toybox. They're the Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters developers, right?

Gonna take this moment to express my extreme happiness that Psychelica is coming across too.S till can't believe it. I'm hoping Black Butterfly lives up to my expectations.

They have a working relationship with Toybox, who developed Side Kicks! Although they are not the publisher, maybe they could help Aksys negotiate with Extend to get the game licensed.

God, Side Kicks would be awesome!

BTA

This week I fiiiiiiinally started Code Realize. It took a few days of playing barely 30 minute segments, and even today i kept getting super distracted as I played, but once I got past the intro stuff I was properly hooked and I've spent most of the night playing it. I don't know what I was actually expecting structure/plot-wise, but even with high expectations I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

Does anyone who's played have a suggested route order, though? I know I'm going with Impey first because of a suggested order I found, but that order also says to do Saint's second and I've seen stuff saying his has big reveals so it's worth doing right before Lupin (or something along those lines), so... I'm at a loss.

BTA

Finished Impey's route in Code Realize; what a good dork. I know people have talked up Cardia a lot but she's great. I'm planning to do my entire second route today, ideally.

Beyond that, I've come up with a route order of Impey->Van->Fran->San->Lupin, since I think that'll have the best balance of tones. I've seen multiple conflicting suggested route orders, but some people have recommended this one so that's reassuring. It mostly seems like Van before Fran is the important part, as far as I can tell without seeing spoilers.

Saphirax

Finished Impey's route in Code Realize; what a good dork. I know people have talked up Cardia a lot but she's great. I'm planning to do my entire second route today, ideally.

Beyond that, I've come up with a route order of Impey->Van->Fran->San->Lupin, since I think that'll have the best balance of tones. I've seen multiple conflicting suggested route orders, but some people have recommended this one so that's reassuring. It mostly seems like Van before Fran is the important part, as far as I can tell without seeing spoilers.

Get ready for despair~.

Saphirax

Me! It's probably all I'll be thinking about at work on Friday.

Same! Except I'll be waiting a little longer.

It comes out tomorrow, right? I'm still trying to decide whether I should get it or not.. Someone convince me?

It's one of Otomate's best games. At least according to the people who played it :p. Haven't seen anyone disliking the game, just people who weren't interested due to the setting/themes.

Has a kickass heroine and great characters. Unlike some other games, this one actually fleshes out its characters; whether its via text messages or other tidbits throughout the game.

If you can stomach hype memes, there's also this:

https://twitter.com/np_hajimerikka/status/890298114937995264

Plus, it looks gorgeous!

Aksys also finally updated the website. You can get a lot of info about the game and its systems:

http://aksysgames.com/cxm/

Kirie

I'd be more hype if I didn't have to ignore all of my social media because people aren't careful about their spoilers :'( Doesn't help Amazon.ca isn't shipping my copy until after next week, bleh

Koriandrr

So, I was directed here from the VN thread. I was wondering which is the full version of Hakuoki? I played the original on 3DS, but I heard there's new routes and extension to Kazama's route, so I'd love to see all of those, but I'm very confused with all the different names and consoles... I don't mind which console it's on, as long as it's all of it.

Shizuka

So, I was directed here from the VN thread. I was wondering which is the full version of Hakuoki? I played the original on 3DS, but I heard there's new routes and extension to Kazama's route, so I'd love to see all of those, but I'm very confused with all the different names and consoles... I don't mind which console it's on, as long as it's all of it.

I think Kyoto Winds + the upcoming sequel will be the most complete package. As of right now, as far as past releases, I think it'd be the PS3 release.

Shizuka

MidnightRain just sent me the assets for the Collar x Malice OT, I'll be taking suggestions for the subtitle as usual until Saturday!

jzbluz

I'd be more hype if I didn't have to ignore all of my social media because people aren't careful about their spoilers :'( Doesn't help Amazon.ca isn't shipping my copy until after next week, bleh

Are you in Canada as well?

I have prime, but I remember how much it sucks when Amazon delays shipping your order just because you don't have prime.

Kirie

Are you in Canada as well?

I have prime, but I remember how much it sucks when Amazon delays shipping your order just because you don't have prime.
I am! Though I actually have prime and pre-ordered a month ago, I think they are just having stock issues so mine will be here a bit late :( Which is fine since hey I'd rather it sell well! But I still hate spoiler dodging lol

jzbluz

Got CxM, but I'm too tired to play much.

I am! Though I actually have prime and pre-ordered a month ago, I think they are just having stock issues so mine will be here a bit late :( Which is fine since hey I'd rather it sell well! But I still hate spoiler dodging lol

It's on stock, so you might want to give CS a nudge. If you live in major city, you can probably even receive it tomorrow.

Gotdang CxM is pretty. Still trying to decide who I want to angle for, I'll probably just do a blind run to start with and let my choices lead me where they may.

Also really digging the soundtrack!

Mineo - Takeru/Kei - Shiraishi - Aiji.

From what I've read, you should go for Mineo first since his route is the lightest on the plot.

Ah, I might try this, then.

ShyMel

I've played a few hours of CxM and so far I'm enjoying it. Apparently people have found some typos and translation issues. I didn't notice any in the time I played, but I also was playing while I was a bit tired.

Saphirax

MidnightRain just sent me the assets for the Collar x Malice OT, I'll be taking suggestions for the subtitle as usual until Saturday!

Where's our OT at? D:

Can't help with the title though - don't have any ideas.

I've played a few hours of CxM and so far I'm enjoying it. Apparently people have found some typos and translation issues. I didn't notice any in the time I played, but I also was playing while I was a bit tired.

It's mostly just typos and name mix ups. It's rather unfortunate though, you'd think Aksys would improve with subsequent releases, but they're only getting worse.

BTA

It sounds like they're mostly in one chapter, or something? I don't have my copy yet myself (and am still working on finishing CR), so I haven't started yet.

I did see a mention on Reddit of a plot affecting mistranslation in the final route, but I didn't read the explanation due to spoilers.

pariah164

Is Collar x Malice better than Period Cube? For some reason, Period Cube did nothing for me; I didn't even finish it. But I miss Otome, and CxM seems to have that dark flavor I tend to like with other games and VNs (DanganRonpa, Corpse Party).

Saphirax

It sounds like they're mostly in one chapter, or something? I don't have my copy yet myself (and am still working on finishing CR), so I haven't started yet.

I did see a mention on Reddit of a plot affecting mistranslation in the final route, but I didn't read the explanation due to spoilers.

I saw that but I didn't read it because I didn't want to get spoiled. I hope it's not too bad.

Unfortunately, it's not just one chapter only. although most of the mistakes happen early in Mineo's route, there are also some in other routes.

Is Collar x Malice better than Period Cube? For some reason, Period Cube did nothing for me; I didn't even finish it. But I miss Otome, and CxM seems to have that dark flavor I tend to like with other games and VNs (DanganRonpa, Corpse Party).

10 million times better, yes. I have yet to see anyone who likes the setting/mystery VNs dislike the game. According to people who played the Japanese version, it's one of the best Otomate games.

BTA

I saw that but I didn't read it because I didn't want to get spoiled. I hope it's not too bad.

Unfortunately, it's not just one chapter only. although most of the mistakes happen early in Mineo's route, there are also some in other routes.

Yeah the one I saw referenced earlier was... chapter 3 of Takeru? I think? No idea if those are just the 2 routes the people speaking up have played or if it's actually just them, though. It's also weird that one of the issues mentioned seems to be the game sometimes using the default name instead of the one you enter, since it feels like that's likely more due to not putting variables in the script correctly or something like that.

In any case, it's such a bummer to hear this stuff when there's like no chance they'll patch it. I'm still excited to play it and I want to support their releases going forward since most of what they've announced are things I'm interested in, but... the fact that they're apparently rushing through testing/editing is really shitty and incredibly frustrating to accept and not something I want to be supporting. I don't want to have to grudgingly accept an inferior release of a supposedly wonderful game because we'll never get to experience it the way it deserves to be experienced, you know?

Saphirax

Yeah the one I saw referenced earlier was... chapter 3 of Takeru? I think? No idea if those are just the 2 routes the people speaking up have played or if it's actually just them, though. It's also weird that one of the issues mentioned seems to be the game sometimes using the default name instead of the one you enter, since it feels like that's likely more due to not putting variables in the script correctly or something like that.

In any case, it's such a bummer to hear this stuff when there's like no chance they'll patch it. I'm still excited to play it and I want to support their releases going forward since most of what they've announced are things I'm interested in, but... the fact that they're apparently rushing through testing/editing is really shitty and incredibly frustrating to accept and not something I want to be supporting. I don't want to have to grudgingly accept an inferior release of a supposedly wonderful game because we'll never get to experience it the way it deserves to be experienced, you know?

Completely understandable. Our best course of action would be to let Aksys know and keep at it. The more people that voice their concerns, the higher the chances are that Aksys will listen. I assume the lack of QA is the result of tight deadlines.

BTA

Completely understandable. Our best course of action would be to let Aksys know and keep at it. The more people that voice their concerns, the higher the chances are that Aksys will listen. I assume the lack of QA is the result of tight deadlines.

Is there any public way to voice concerns- that won't just end up ignored in an e-mail inbox? I thought they used to have a forum years and years ago but that doesn't seem to exist now.

Shizuka

Is there any public way to voice concerns- that won't just end up ignored in an e-mail inbox? I thought they used to have a forum years and years ago but that doesn't seem to exist now.

You can contact their staff through Twitter. It's better than contacting the company's Twitter.

BTA

You can contact their staff through Twitter. It's better than contacting the company's Twitter.

I've done so.

I don't expect a response but it was worth saying.

EDIT: And the response was that it's up to "developer discretion" and to email their support- support@aksysgames.com. I guess I'll do that much, and I suggest everyone else interested due the same (or perhaps both). Might not do anything but if it gets this noticed even slightly more, sure.

Top Bottom