• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

jts

...hate me...
Well, there are exactly two platforms which archived that in the last decade. The company of the other platform doesn't make home consoles anymore.
The Switch is a de-facto home console by all metrics. Connects to the TV out of the box and supports multiple controllers. Gets traditional home console games. You don't ever have to use it as a portable console.

It is also a portable console.

It's understandable that sales-wise from now on there will always be the question what would the sales be if the console was't a portable console too, but then again it also must be asked, from a portable console POV, what would the sales be if it didn't have the home console appeal (even if we know it's massively smaller than portable console appeal) and the price tag that comes with being also one. It's a whole new category.

Nintendo doesn't make home consoles anymore in the same sense that it doesn't make portable consoles anymore. Well, excluding the n3DS XL and n2DS XL for now.

Uhh...that would be correct if the Switch had sold a million in hardware this week. There were 100k units sold, with 650k units of Splatoon 2 sold at retail plus the 40k of other Switch titles in the top 20.

omg what is going on with me the last two days. Im seriously dropping the ball. Point still stands that it looks like most new purchasers bought splatoon and little else.

The Switch is a de-facto home console by all metrics. Connects to the TV out of the box and supports multiple controllers. Gets traditional home console games. You don't ever have to use it as a portable console.

It is also a portable console.

It's understandable that sales-wise from now on there will always be the question what would the sales be if the console was't a portable console too, but then again it also must be asked, from a portable console POV, what would the sales be if it didn't have the home console appeal (even if we know it's massively smaller than portable console appeal) and the price tag that comes with being also one. It's a whole new category.

Nintendo doesn't make home consoles anymore in the same sense that it doesn't make portable consoles anymore. Well, excluding the n3DS XL and n2DS XL for now.

Well, it would be intersting to know how the Switch is used in Japan.

Jamix012

What you are basically saying is Splatoon 2 will follow Switch steps and hype will die any moment now.

I...no? I think Switch is going to be phenomenally successful overall and I think Splatoon 2 will be (is already) a hit, I am just cautious more than anything about it's long term potential when compared to the previous game.

Actually, Splatoon 1 reached 4.27 of its eventual 4.83 million in just over 10 months. This slow build-up wasn't nearly as slow as you imagine, it was more like an avalanche.

Splatoon 1 may have been an unknown quantity, but Splatoon 2 has the status as a cultural phenomenon, which will give it legs just the same, being a game that people will want to get when they get a Switch, especially in Japan. Also, the relatively small userbase for Switch suggests even longer legs, since people who are getting the new system in the coming months will undoubtedly very seriously consider Splatoon 2 as one of their purchases.

I'm more talking in Japan, where legs were more pronounced than anywhere else. Those worldwide numbers don't quite paint the picture of the game's growth in Japan. I feel Splatoon 2 will outdo Splatoon 1 worldwide without much effort, but I'm not convinced it's a safe bet in Japan.

That having been said if there's a smaller than expected drop next week, colour me entirely wrong which, again, I'll be happy to admit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I mean you can easily argue that the PS3 was not competing with handheld systems, and that the factors behind the Wii's success are basically impossible to replicate.

In any case, if Japan is a market where WiiU does better than the PS4 for a large part of its first year or more, that should tell you all you need to know about comparisons between PS4 and Switch in Japan. Seeing as a 3DS replacement does not seem to be coming down the pipeline (and likely shouldn't be), both Nintendo and Sony have cannibalised one half of their games market. And if there is a toss-up between a portable system (let alone a portable Nintendo system) and a Sony home platform, history shows that the portable system will do better sales in Japan.

But that's the thing--WiiU outdid the PS4 in sales for a time but is ultimately a failure worldwide. Switch is doing well right now, but can it do as well as 3DS? That's the bar for portable Nintendo last generation, and without another system that is all they will have.

Given the climate of the market, and the Japanese consumer's preference for mobile devices (and among those, Nintendo mobile devices), PS4 maintaining the sales presence of the PS3 is a decent feat.

Ok so your conclusion is "decent feat"
My post was responding to "amazing achievement".

Seems we agree?

"I mean you can easily argue that the PS3 was not competing with handheld systems"
I don't think it's as easy argument to make AT ALL in Japan.
The mere fact that games like Dragon Quest went to DS and not PS3 shows you that they were definitely competing.

omg what is going on with me the last two days. Im seriously dropping the ball. Point still stands that it looks like most new purchasers bought splatoon and little else.

Haha, yeah it does look that way. But I would expect the other titles to reap the benefits of the new adopters in the next few weeks still.

MisterR

Congrats to the PS4. It's had a pretty solid run, much more than many in here ever expected. Hopefully it will make it to 10 million at some point.

ethomaz

Banned
So PSP Slim was a home console too?

Switch is primary a portable with option to use it connected to a TV... it doesn't require a TV or monitor like a console requires.

People expected the PS4 to do worse than the PS3?
You don't need to look too old to find a lot of comments about that... early this year threads will be full of it ;)

I was mostly crushed because I said late last year that PS3 won't pass PS4 in 2017 (even so it was a really close call).

I...no? I think Switch is going to be phenomenally successful overall and I think Splatoon 2 will be (is already) a hit, I am just cautious more than anything about it's long term potential when compared to the previous game.

I'm more talking in Japan, where legs were more pronounced than anywhere else. Those worldwide numbers don't quite paint the picture of the game's growth in Japan. I feel Splatoon 2 will outdo Splatoon 1 worldwide without much effort, but I'm not convinced it's a safe bet in Japan.

That having been said if there's a smaller than expected drop next week, colour me entirely wrong which, again, I'll be happy to admit.

You realize Splatoon 2 is constrained just by the amount of people who own the system right? The only games that open to multimillion openings anymore are Pokemon and potentially Dragon Quest.
People expected the PS4 to do worse than the PS3?

I still do.

Haha, yeah it does look that way. But I would expect the other titles to reap the benefits of the new adopters in the next few weeks still.

Agreed. And while I understand it in hindsight, I still am surprised that Arms, MK, nor Zelda saw much of a real bump with HW going up. Yeah MK saw a slight bump of about 1400ish units but that's not really much with a 100K HW week. Agreed that they will probably see a more spread out bump in the following weeks.

But lets really talk about the big news here. Hey! Pikmin is looking like it will sell over 100K by next week or the week after. Now THATS surprising to me at least, although I haven't really followed pikmin sales much, even though I adore the games. Glad to see viability for the franchise still. More pikmin please!

sense

Some experts believed PS4 would end up selling close to vita numbers around here a couple of years ago let alone getting close to anywhere near PS3 numbers. Wonder if they still believe that....

Vinnk

The Switch isn't a failure. Splatoon is the hottest game on the system. What makes you cautious that is has less potential than the WiiU game?

Come to Japan for one day. Look around. We are in the middle of Splatoon fever here. It is so much more pronounced than even at the peak of the first game.

I think you are correct on the drop next week. The install base is just too low to keep up good numbers. But this is likely going to be an evergreen title on the Switch and it's sales numbers will likely be very dependent on the sales of hardware.

I don't mean to put down your opinions. And I hope I don't come off as a jerk. But I need to know what you are basing your opinions on. If you also live here in Japan and you are seeing the hype differently, I will disagree, but respect that opinion. But if it's "just a feeling" I'm going to need something a little bit more.

Agreed. And while I understand it in hindsight, I still am surprised that Arms, MK, nor Zelda saw much of a real bump with HW going up. Yeah MK saw a slight bump of about 1400ish units but that's not really much with a 100K HW week. Agreed that they will probably see a more spread out bump in the following weeks.

But lets really talk about the big news here. Hey! Pikmin is looking like it will sell over 100K by next week or the week after. Now THATS surprising to me at least, although I haven't really followed pikmin sales much, even though I adore the games. Glad to see viability for the franchise still. More pikmin please!

Yeah Pikmin is doing very well so far. Bodes well for Pikmin 4 on the Switch (we all know it's coming).

Boney

Banned
The thing with Splatoon is that it'll truck on like crazy up until after the holidays. Can see it crossing 2 million before the first anniversary.

ethomaz

Banned
A fair point by Chris... without clear evidence of any form of consensus predictions, I'm not convinced the PS4 is greatly surpassing nor not meeting expectations.
I can dig tons of post saying PS3 will pass PS4 early after FFXIII release or PS4 will sell less than PS3.

I challenge anybody to find a post saying PS4 was expected to be the next PS2 in Japan... if it really exists I never saw it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I challenge anybody to find a post saying PS4 was expected to be the next PS2 in Japan... if it really exists I never saw it.
One post? I didn't know you were so regular follower of Media Create threads. Go to pre PS4 launch threads and you'll find.

MisterR

A fair point by Chris... without clear evidence of any form of consensus predictions, I'm not convinced the PS4 is greatly surpassing nor not meeting expectations.

Not really a good point at all. There was about a 10 to 1 ratio of people thinking it couldn't match the PS3 to anyone saying it was the next PS2. In fact I've not seen anyone say that in this thread, but I'll give him the benefit that it may have at some point.

Not really a good point at all. There was about a 10 to 1 ratio of people thinking it couldn't match the PS3 to anyone saying it was the next PS2. In fact I've not seen anyone say that in this thread, but I'll give him the benefit that it may have at some point.

10:1 ratio?

Are we just making up numbers now? Rounding perhaps?

lyrick

Upsale. 100K people were already in the store buying Switch hardware and ~650K picked up Splatoon 2. Simply having another "new release" at the counter as an impulse buy probably helped the F/E sales given its critical reception on other platforms.

Mr. Jimmy

Amazon Jp sales arent counted right? I bought Fate/Extella for that nice case, I wanted to see it doing better numbers. It didnt stand a chance against Splatoon 2, great numbers for great game.

L~A

Amazon Jp sales arent counted right? I bought Fate/Extella for that nice case, I wanted to see it doing better numbers. It didnt stand a chance against Splatoon 2, great numbers for great game.

Media Create does track Amazon sales, yes (but not Famitsu)

For those of you who are curious, first screenshots for the Penguin Wars remake for Switch. And yup, as I expected, it's by the same devs as Soldam.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/27138370.html

jts

...hate me...
So PSP Slim was a home console too?

Switch is primary a portable with option to use it connected to a TV... it doesn't require a TV or monitor like a console requires.
Could you just take a PSP Slim home, hook it up to your TV with the included cables, take a controller or even an extra controller for a 2 player game and chill back on your couch seamlessly?

Then by all means it fulfilled the necessary spec that a consumer expects from a home console. It was commercially also a home console if that's the case. Even if it didn't bring the A-tier home console games like the Switch does, that's a whole subjective thing so it doesn't matter.

The Switch can be primarily a home console or primarily a portable console depending on who's using it. Since I bought mine it replaced in usage and on my TV stand both of my previous home consoles, one of it being the Wii U. It is my home console, except I can take it with me if I want to. So it's also my portable console, which is a nice bonus.

I wouldn't have bought a portable console for 300€.

MisterR

10:1 ratio?

Are we just making up numbers now? Rounding perhaps?

No, we're using common sense and basic observation. You going to try and argue that a similar number of people in the Media Create thread thought the PS4 would be the next PS2 as that though it would flop compared to PS3? Bullshit, and everybody knows it.

Nibel

Think he's implying that their strategy was to complement Splatoon 2, much like how fast food customers couple their main order (burger) with a side (fries).

Upsale. 100K people were already in the store buying Switch hardware and ~650K picked up Splatoon 2. Simply having another "new release" at the counter as an impulse buy probably helped the F/E sales given its critical reception on other platforms.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up

Think he's implying that their strategy was to complement Splatoon 2, much like how fast food customers couple their main order (burger) with a side (fries).

maybe, but my initial reaction was that you were calling him salty and I think that threw Nibel off too

No, we're using common sense and basic observation.

Common sense and observation. Mmmkay.

You going to try and argue that a similar number of people in the Media Create thread thought the PS4 would be the next PS2 as that though it would flop compared to PS3? Bullshit, and everybody knows it.

I'm not the one who claimed anything in relation to people saying X or Y lol. You are so don't start tweaking, just show receipts lol.

Top Bottom