• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ August: Just Cause 3 and Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry

First month that i didn't own both of the games. Nice!

I was actually waiting to see if JC3 was going to go on sale but now i can get it with plus.

Griss

Damn, I own both, but if I didn't I'd be ecstatic.

Played Just Cause 3 earlier this year. Fantastic game. Not sure what it's like on base PS4 but on the Pro it played just fine, I genuinely loved it. Story is unfortunately garbage and the map isn't as good as JC2, but the wingsuit and wingsuit courses are worth the price of admission alone.

Freedom's Cry is more a DLC than a full game but what's there is great. Adewale is a super character.

This is the first I am hearing about Freedom Cry, I just assumed it was a short story or one of those 2D games or something, didn't know it was a standalone game.

Is it any use? I loved AC4 so I'll likely give it a go.

This is my first time hearing about Freedom Cry lol

This looks to be an awesome month. My backlog cries again

If you loved AC4, you will like Freedom Cry, interesting little story. I think it took me about 5 or 6 hours. it was actually the last AC game I played.

Solid month, that movie promotion looks good, shame its not available in the UK.

Briarios

Edit: Never mind.

On a regular PS4, when you get massive number of explosions, you get significant drops to the 15 fps range, then it comes back. In the course of general play, driving, etc, it looks gorgeous. The original release had insane load times, which had been fixed with patches.

On the Pro, you still have some drops, but not as bad and it recovers much faster. You also don't have screen tearing.

The game is very playable, so don't fall for the hyperbole. It's just disappointing that a game that looks so good has such technical issues.

Melchiah

Just noticed this:
PS Plus Summer Movies are here! Enjoy six weeks of 99¢ rentals – selected for you from this summer's hottest blockbusters. Starting us off with a bang, The Lego Batman Movie – handpicked for the whole family to enjoy. Check out the full schedule of movies below, then head over to PS Store each week to enjoy 99¢ rentals.

Why the fuck it's US only, since you can now rent movies from the EU store as well? Fuck this shit.

GunBR

Dark Souls on consoles run at 10-15fps on Blighttown (at least on my 360) and still is one of the best games of last gen

A few frame drops on Just Cause 3 don't make the game a unplayable piece of garbage

On a regular PS4, when you get the most maybe of explosions, you get significant drops to the 15 fps range, then it comes back. In the course of general play, driving, etc, it looks gorgeous. The original release had insane load times, which had been fixed with patches.

On the Pro, you still have some drops, but not as bad and it recovers much faster. You also don't have screen tearing.

The game is very playable, so don't fall for the hyperbole. It's just disappointing that a game that looks so good has such technical issues.

Cheers for the write up. Sounds more than playable.

Yep, good DF video showing how patches completely fucked up the framerate. It was actually not bad at launch with 1.00/1.01.

I bought it at launch full priced and it was still garbage. Constant fps drops during action.

Turd should have been pulled from the psn store.

Griss

The single biggest issue with Just Cause 3 is the unlocking system and events.

To unlock things, you need gears that you win from events. You unlock events by clearing bases and settlements. All of which sounds fine, but there's a massive, massive spanner in the works:

The game allows you to choose your vehicle, and the events may be tuned for vehicles and upgrades you don't already have. So you enter and event and may have no idea whether you can beat it or not, or whether your 4-star performance was actually the best you can do at this time without upgrading. Each event should have been locked in terms of vehicles and upgrades.

The basic gameplay loop of Just Cause is still utterly fantastic, though.

Elandyll

Banned
Even tho JC3 does have issues, it really is a good month.

lol, be quiet.

This is shocking tho. Still no Knack....
Was tongue in cheek :)

I have never played an AC game in my life, so might as well try hehe.

I also have already played JC3 on PC (which was also garbage performance there btw, on a gtx 970 and "only" 8Gb ram), but was a ton of fun anyway so I might give it another round on PS4.

Side note: is it possible to buy a PS+ Vita game to benefit from XBuy, if you don't have a Vita at all?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm honestly interested just in Downwell for Vita. I don't know if I would play Just Cause 3 on PS4 Pro when I already have it on PC, and I have zero desire to play an Assassin's Creed game ever again, especially if it's ACIV, with all the ship stuff.

Can't complain, though. At least it's another month I get to keep the games from previous months that I haven't played!

Dude, we get it, you hate it. This is like 6 posts with the same content. You don't like it, some people do.

I dont hate it at all. I bought it full price on day one expecting fun to be had. It mad me sad to my bones.

The game underneath is a ton of fun, the performance is total garbage and shouldnt be a thing thats given as a "gift" to ps+ users.

The only people who like it are people who did not play it on a base ps4. And people who don't know what they are in for.

vypek

The single biggest issue with Just Cause 3 is the unlocking system and events.

This was my issue with it. Ignoring the technical issues and glitches I suffered through the game, the actual design of the game and the way it locks the best stuff for the sandbox fun really sucks

Cess007

I believe that poster means that Just Cause 3 has issues and is a bad game and that you should be thankful you are fortunate enough to not get it.

I know he means that, it's still dumb to think we should be grateful for that

For not getting such a turd of a game.

Thanks, but I would prefer to get the same as others users instead of being treated like something that deserves less

NastyBook

Freedom Cry being...free will force me to start playing Black Flag again.

This isn't a bad thing.

lol @ JC3. Even for free, do I want to subject myself to that game's "problems?"

Griss

This was my issue with it. Ignoring the technical issues and glitches I suffered through the game, the actual design of the game and the way it locks the best stuff for the sandbox fun really sucks

Agreed, but where I think people overblow this issue is that the locked stuff is really not that important in moment to moment gameplay - all of the important stuff like the grapple and wingsuit etc are given to you within one hour. The upgrades are pretty minor 'boosts' by comparison, for the most part.

Freedom Cry being...free will force me to start playing Black Flag again.

This isn't a bad thing.

lol @ JC3. Even for free, do I want to subject myself to that game's "problems?"

It was some of the most fun I've had in a game all year but that's up to you. Do you own a Pro is the deciding factor, really. I did and had no issues with the game whatsoever.

Lukemon

Add one more to the 'Pro Boost actually makes JC3 really quite good' pile. I'd say back up saves often, though – I stopped playing after a hard crash cost me a good two or three hours of progress, but enjoyed it up to that point. Looking forward to finally playing Downwell, too...

Not sure if I should resub now and get until dawn while its still available, get just cause 3 next month, try my hand at online in fighting games, get back into titanfall 2, and be able to play destiny 2 at launch. I had let it expire since march and only planning to resub due to destiny 2.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Was tongue in cheek :)

I have never played an AC game in my life, so might as well try hehe.

I also have already played JC3 on PC (which was also garbage performance there btw, on a gtx 970 and "only" 8Gb ram), but was a ton of fun anyway so I might give it another round on PS4.

Side note: is it possible to buy a PS+ Vita game to benefit from XBuy, if you don't have a Vita at all?

I wanna say yes, but I used to have a Vita. I still claim Vita games even tho I dont have one right now.

But...I did this before I got my PS4. Did this before I got a One S. Should still be possible unless they changed something.

JC3 is a reason to get a Pro...and one reason why I didnt get a PS4 Slim yet.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A month where an Assassin's Creed game is given away and it's not the worst performing of the bunch.

KrebStar

The reaction to this is totally not what I expected. Maybe a little, because people love that AAA, but I still expected a lot of complaining. However, if I didn't own most of these already I'd probably be pretty happy to get them.

I don't know how bad it is now, but I played some of JC3 around launch, and while it didn't run well, I certainly didn't find it unplayable. However, I probably made it less than halfway through the game due to finding it underwhelming compared to JC2, so I may not have seen the worst of it.

Downwell is great, and I played Super Motherload years ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

DarkTom

Hey great month ! It's just sad I bought Downwell 3 months ago (it was 2€ though...)

Well I know JC3 as a bad reputation, but seems to be silly relaxing stuff which is a good sort of game for PS+.

What is freedom cry. Sounds like some knock off lol

Couldn't get a more popular AC title
Hearing so much about how poorly Jc3 runs

Jacknapes

Already have the PS4 titles in Just Cause 3 and Freedom Cry (JC3 still runs like turd on the base PS4, but Freedom Cry is a great standalone title for those whom missed out).

Downwell is a game i was looking at on the store, nice to see it appear on PS+

alt27

Not sure if I should resub now and get until dawn while its still available, get just cause 3 next month, try my hand at online in fighting games, get back into titanfall 2, and be able to play destiny 2 at launch. I had let it expire since march and only planning to resub due to destiny 2.

Until dawn is really worth it IMO

Top Bottom