• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Ships 1.8 Million Worldwide

Oh yeah, this too. Atlus absolutely needs to get their shit together and have at the very least spanish, french and german translations. If Tales Of can do it, why can't they?

Basically because SEGA of Europe got gutted (no localization team afaik) and concentrate almost entirely on mobile and PC nowadays (Deep Silver handle the physical releases of the games on console) and all localization efforts are now getting done by just Atlus USA, who don't have a European branch or translators for other languages for anything else other than English. It's kinda sad that SEGA can't be bothered to sort this for other European countries and need a real kick up the backside to hire some European language translators. The likes of French, Spanish and German languages especially should be a given at this point.

matmanx1

And I would happily double dip for a good PC port. Just saying that 1.8 number has a lot of potential to go up if SEGA does the right thing.

Hope they spend the money to make good games again. Persona 5 was just urgh. Easily one of their worst games and I've played pretty much all notable ones.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Basically because SEGA of Europe got gutted (no localization team afaik) and concentrate almost entirely on mobile and PC nowadays (Deep Silver handle the physical releases of the games on console) and all localization efforts are now getting done by just Atlus USA, who don't have a European branch or translators for other languages for anything else other than English. It's kinda sad that SEGA can't be bothered to sort this for other European countries and need a real kick up the backside to hire some European language translators. The likes of French, Spanish and German languages especially should be a given at this point.

I feel like French especially should be worth it. I might be misinformed but from what I hear is France is pretty anime receptive market that also is not very keen on buying English only games.

Hope they spend the money to make good games again. Persona 5 was just urgh. Easily one of their worst games and I've played pretty much all notable ones.

Nah sorry they will only spend money to make shit games from now on better give up now.

Bastables

Well deserved.

My first Persona, absolutely loved it. I even think about buying a Vita just for Golden since I'm not really interested in any other Vita game.
You can then get persona 1,2, and 3p.

Then get a 3ds for persona q, get all the personas.

Raven117

The game industry is stronger when Japan is cranking out games.

Persona 5, Nier, Yakuza, Nioh, Zelda, Souls (for awhile now)...all were successes.

I hope Japan has finally caught back up after the dark ps3 timeline, and continues to give us these gems.

You can absolutely tell a difference in Japanese games vs. Western games.

Keep on keepin on!

I can't believe we live in a world that both Persona 5 and Nier Automata have managed to do amazing numbers in the first half of 2017!

Okay Atlus, now give me a high school sport game (a la Haikyuu!!) in the style of Persona series.

Keyouta

Very deserving, loving the game. It's taking me a while to get through but it's a blast so far. Hopefully we see Atlus releasing an enhanced version on Steam and the Switch as well, in the future. I bet it would sell well on PC, many Japanese titles are.

My theory has been that there are less physical games then ever due to the budgets of games exploding over the last 10 years. So now games like Persona, Nioh, and Nier that would normally be overshadowed have a chance to get the spotlight (assuming the games are good). Thats why we're seeing these middle-tier japanese games do so well at retail.

grumble

If they sold 5 million copies of this game Atlus would dance naked in the streets.

If this 1.8 million figure doesn't include digital downloads then we might see some naked atlas by this time next year. Not a perfect game, but very good and it deserves to be successful.

DonTheWise

Neo Member
As the first Turn Based JRPG i have played i am super stoked with this. Well done Atlus, you have gained a super fan in me and hopefully a lot of those other 1.8 million people.

I'm more of a box office person than video game sales, but why does this strike me as... nothing to write home about? Like, sure, I guess it's the best selling Persona game, but with all the hype, with the 60 million PS4s out there, 5m of which are in Japan, under 2m WW sounds more actively bad than it sounds "pretty good." ???

How much can the "anime JRPG niche" excuse carry you in terms of a game not selling well?

Pachinko

I may not have finished it yet but I feel the sales are well deserved. Hopefully they attempt to make a 6th one or even a special edition for the likes of vita/switch. It's not a port beg if I already own it either , I'm merely stating that I'd be more likely to buy it twice if it were on a different console.

Hopefully that 1.8 million is more than enough to ensure atlus can continue to be a profitable portion of sega.

Very nice. About damn time this series got popular.

I'm more of a box office person than video game sales, but why does this strike me as... nothing to write home about? Like, sure, I guess it's the best selling Persona game, but with all the hype, with the 60 million PS4s out there, 5m of which are in Japan, under 2m WW sounds more actively bad than it sounds "pretty good." ???

How much can the "anime JRPG niche" excuse carry you in terms of a game not selling well?

It amuses me that you made this post with a Mad Max avatar.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm actually honestly kind of surprised at how... low this is? At least from my expectations. Especially when something far more niche as nier reached 1.5 million.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm actually honestly kind of surprised at how... low this is? At least from my expectations. Especially when something far more niche as nier reached 1.5 million.

Dose the 1.5 million including PC version as well? I know P5 also had PS3 version but think most that games sale came from the PS4 version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder how NieR did also, seems like they're selling the same amount.

silva1991

Great for the JRPG of the gen(not much competition I know but still)

Nier is FAR more niche? dude Persona 4 Golden didn't even sell a million copies iirc. It's super niche series.

Persona 5 probably would have reached 2 millions at least if it was on PC or Switch.

Ducktail

Thanks to this thread, I just remembered I still haven't finished it.

*Sigh*

Also, I had assumed this game would have sold WAY more considering the critics.

Since you are a box office guy, think of P5 as a Hidden Figures type of success. Fairly small box office relative to the successful tentpoles, but hugely profitable based on the budget

Top Bottom