• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please don't spoil games for others.

ornery

I was about 13 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn, then some jerk on reddit ruined the story for me. Now, I have zero motivation to finish the game.

Pretty disappointed about it, too. I wanted to experience the highs and lows. I was fully immersed. Ever since I read that post, I have no interest in finishing.

Please, guys. Don't ruin games for others just getting into them :(

Bright side, now I can find something else to begin.

Fliesen

while i agree with your general sentiment, i don't feel Horizon had any twists that i didn't see coming from a mile away.

Like, Aloy's origins (being
a clone
), the setting (earth
recovering from a man made robot apocalypse
) ...

the only thing i could think of would be the thing where
evil Elon Musk sabotages the Zero Dawn project and kills the surviving scientists

You should still finish the game, imho.

careful, there's actually a spoiler defense force here and on the rest of the internet

sorry to hear. horizon is worth a play through regardless imo

Raptomex

I'm assuming this person spoiled the story? Is the story the only driving force in the game? Seems silly to just give up and I haven't even played it. But, yeah, people should be aware of spoilers, regardless.

Or you could realize that a story is more than random story beats and enjoy the journey it takes to get there. While also enjoying the great game play.

I'd consider this a good opportunity to stay off messages boards while you're playing your big open world epic. YMMV, but for me, online discussion lessens my enjoyment of a campaign while I'm playing it. I don't want to analyze every piddling detail while trying to enjoy a game, but that's exactly what you get on message boards.

while i agree with your general sentiment, i don't feel Horizon had any twists that i didn't see coming from a mile away.

Like, Aloy's origins (being
a clone
), the setting (earth
recovering from a man made robot apocalypse
) ...

the only thing i could think of would be the thing where
evil Elon Musk sabotages the Zero Dawn project and kills the surviving scientists

You should still finish the game, imho.

I intentionally clicked these spoiler tags having not played much of H:ZD.

About as surprising as your average Michael Bay film.

Deeda

People shouldn't spoil shit, period.

That said, I've played games with some surprises spoiled and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of them. (Persona 4, VLR, to name a few)

So you spent money on a game that you don't intend to finish because of a spoiler? Like, you know there's stuff that happens in between the beginning and end, right?

Or you could realize that a story is more than random story beats and enjoy the journey it takes to get there. While also enjoying the great game play.
I agree with this entirely.

I am a bit impatient so I sometimes go out of my way to look up spoilers. Then when I play the game the journey is still great if the game is great and the story is well written. If you know a spoiler of something and it ruins the entire experience than it wasn't well written to begin with cause the journey sucks. Lord of the Rings was a great trilogy but almost everyone knew that Frodo ends up dropping the ring in the volcano in the end. It was still a great story because it was well written.

Fliesen

I intentionally clicked these spoiler tags having not played much of H:ZD.

About as surprising as your average Michael Bay film.

It's of course a very simplistic description of the main story revelations.

also, very much this:

The random side quests and characters you meet along the way were actually much more interesting than the big mystery about aloys origins and the reason why she lives in a robot dinosaur world.

If you care that much, maybe don't go looking in places where there could be spoilers, like Reddit.

Dropping a really fun engaging game because of spoilers is incredibly stupid, but that's a whole other thing.

Joey Ravn

Banned
While knowing the ending can hurt a bit, isn't it the journey that actually matters, especially with a game?

Your milage may vary. Some people may get hooked on the story, some on the gameplay. If you're one of the former, then knowing how it all ends can totally take the wind from your sails.

KHlover

Banned
Sorry, that's impossible. Some people have such idiotic definitions of a spoiler that it's impossible not to spoil them.

Ladekabel

In the Harry Potter: The Half Blood Prince game Snape kills Dumbledore.

I do my best not to do it though I sometimes wonder how people read spoilers. Maybe it is because I don't frequent reddit. For example I'm currently playing Nier: Automata and haven't been spoiled on anything story related.

Intentionally spoiling things for other people is kinda shitty and I'm with you there OP.

That being said if a game is ruined by spoiling one or two plot points, it probably wasn't that great a game anyways.

squidyj

I was about 13 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn, then some jerk on reddit ruined the story for me. Now, I have zero motivation to finish the game.

Pretty disappointed about it, too. I wanted to experience the highs and lows. I was fully immersed. Ever since I read that post, I have no interest in finishing.

Honestly, what is wrong with you that hearing something about the way a story progresses or the way a game ends can actually completely kill your interest in something you claimed to have loved at one point?

Keinning

Got spoiled about Inside's ending on a cooking forum of all places

Don't let it get to your head and finish the game

Honestly, what is wrong with you that hearing something about the way a story progresses or the way a game ends can actually completely kill your interest in something you claimed to have loved at one point?
The only way you can know if the spoiler is true is to get to that part in the game anyways, or google it to confirm it being true.

Arkanius

I thought this was a joke thread, expecting to come here and get spoiled in the first post by an outrage post.
I'm disapointed

Neff

Don't worry, story is not the best part of the game

And yet you have people happily and thoughtlessly spoiling gameplay because 'it's not story'.

Honestly if there's a game/film I'm looking forward to I'll spend the week in advance away from YouTube, 4chan, Reddit or any other high-traffic internet outlet until I've finished/seen it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, it sucks being spoiled on a game, or tv show, or anything really. I'm glad i don't watch GoT because Twitch chat is a spoiler minefield.

Story, combat, and characters are all equally unparalled.

Haha wat

@OP I once pissed off a friend about something and then I received a message from him spoiling me Bioshock in retaliation, a day or two before I got my hands on it. Apparently, he read the spoiler by accident somewhere online. No kidding, we're not friends anymore.

careful, there's actually a spoiler defense force here and on the rest of the internet

sorry to hear. horizon is worth a play through regardless imo
I mean yeah if we're talking about a situation like that Kingdom Hearts thread where gaf lost their mind about spoilers for a nearly two decade old game then yeah

And yet you have people happily and thoughtlessly spoiling gameplay because 'it's not story'.

Honestly if there's a game/film I'm looking forward to I'll spend the week in advance away from YouTube, 4chan, Reddit or any other high-traffic internet outlet until I've finished/seen it.
How the hell can you spoil gameplay?

Are people in this thread really going to pretend that HZD doesn't have one of the best science fiction stories in games?

Top Bottom