• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

Thanks. I originally made it without the Reggie face and people wanted it to have Reggie so BY2K (R.I.P.) added it.

This is the original.

IronmanE3.gif

What happened to BY2K?

HylianTom

Banned
If the news of it placing highly in NPD is true, this might have been the best time to release it. If they sent it out a year or two ago, it probably would have been sent out to die. Now it's, like, the only Nintendo game around, and it was sold in a special new way, and it has a totally different look, which is appealing now that system owners are burnt out a little on how the earlier Wii games often looked (lots of curved, clean surfaces a la Miis or Mario).

So because of this timing (if that crazy "#3 in April" claim is true), then Xenoblade has guaranteed future entry into the US with a stronger marketing push.

In HD.
If they do an HD version, I might have to do a hand-me-down of my copy to a nephew and just double-dip. The thing that scares me about this kind of game? Say bye-bye to my social life and free time for months on-end.

What happened to BY2K?
He, along with axisofweevils and a few others, is one of the fallen who did not make it. But he will be back, and if I recall correcly, soon.

Linkhero1

If the news of it placing highly in NPD is true, this might have been the best time to release it. If they sent it out a year or two ago, it probably would have been sent out to die. Now it's, like, the only Nintendo game around, and it was sold in a special new way, and it has a totally different look, which is appealing now that system owners are burnt out a little on how the earlier Wii games often looked (lots of curved, clean surfaces a la Miis or Mario).

So because of this timing (if that crazy "#3 in April" claim is true), then Xenoblade has guaranteed future entry into the US with a stronger marketing push.

In HD.

I was quite surprised to hear that it might possibly be in the top 3. I don't know if it would have been sent to die if it had been released one or two years ago, but it probably wouldn't have done as well as it had now. Also I know some people who bought a Wii just to play the so called "best rpg of the generation." I think it would have done well regardless of the time it was released as long as it had the proper marketing.

I'd love an HD version or a sequel.

If they do an HD version, I might have to do a hand-me-down of my copy to a nephew and just double-dip. The thing that scares me about this kind of game? Say bye-bye to my social life and free time for months on-end.

I meant a sequel for the Wii U.

He, along with axisofweevils and a few others, is one of the fallen who did not make it. But he will be back, and if I recall correcly, soon.

Aye, but don't hold your breath for DefensiveReject. I salute his moxie!

edit: speaking about bans, I followed the link earlier in this thread about the Xbox 360 patent thing, and I was pretty amused to see that it was derailed because of a mod ban.

MDX

1)  Price?
$299 Basic model, white, w/o wiimote and no SD card
$349 full model, black, w/ wiimote & chuck, SD card

2)  Release date?
Nov 2012, the 18th.

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?
x 8.9

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
Keeping that to myself!

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.
Reyn

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions?
MS: Kinect 2 tech demo, Sony: 2 year PS3 plan.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite?
Too late for this gen, too early for next gen.

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam?
No need.

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Too colorful

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Im not there.

Linkhero1

Hm rumor has it that the next Xbox is in manufacturing stages. Anyone else think they're going to try to upstage Nintendo at this E3 by showing the Xbox 3?

Does somebody know how to contact BY2K or when he will get unbanned?

He's coming back soon. I miss him already :(

Does somebody know how to contact BY2K or when he will get unbanned?

http://www.neogafbans.com/#/user/BY2K

This is all we know so far.

also important note: be careful about "port begging" -- making a post saying "This game should be on Wii U" -- the mods might hammer you for it

It's probably okay to do here, but I think that going into other Official Threads and expressing it could get meaty. There's a tendency for such posts to derail the thread, so I understand why they do it. I just don't want to lose anybody else. :'(

HylianTom

Banned
I meant a sequel for the Wii U.
Oooohhh..

If it does as well as folks are saying, this wouldn't surprise me. Then again, Nintendo writing it off as some kind of fluke would also not surprise me. For all we know, it could end-up being one of those games that a small core group of fans will always wish over, wanting to see a sequel. Then, somewhere around the Year 2032, Nintendo will do a reboot of the series. :)

HylianTom

Banned
Hm rumor has it that the next Xbox is in manufacturing stages. Anyone else think they're going to try to upstage Nintendo at this E3 by showing the Xbox 3?

Same here. We rode in the choo-choo together, right next to each other..
Aaaaaah.jpg

Nibel

I figured it wasn't official, but isn't it actually used by banned posters to leave quick notes about what happened? Or is it dangerous for me to assume that the comments posted there were made by BY2K?

Just don't trust this site - it was confirmed that a few quotes there are fake. You can even search for BP and I don't think if he ever gave a statement about any of his bans

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

There's almost zero chance that it is the actual next Xbox. An initial devkit, maybe, but not the final console.

MS has already stated publicly several times that they're not introducing it at E3.

Wow. Another thread, why I am not surprised. Lol. A lot has changed, a lot of people not here, *sniff* and a lot more madness as we get closer. Let's do this!!

HylianTom

Banned
also important note: be careful about "port begging" -- making a post saying "This game should be on Wii U" -- the mods might hammer you for it

It's probably okay to do here, but I think that going into other Official Threads and expressing it could get meaty. There's a tendency for such posts to derail the thread, so I understand why they do it. I just don't want to lose anybody else. :'(
I've always worried a bit about this. Let's say that Game Installment #3 comes out on the U. I mean, is it okay to wish aloud that that I'd love to see #s 1 & 2 brought over, taking note that it could be a lucrative move for the publisher/developer?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Nvver knew this site existed. Guess you really do learn something new everyday... except something about the WiiU.

I've always worried a bit about this. Let's say that Game Installment #3 comes out on the U. I mean, is it okay to wish aloud that that I'd love to see #s 1 & 2 brought over, taking note that it could be a lucrative move for the publisher/developer?
From what I understand it's usually only frowned upon during the run up to a games release. In that instance it would be fine.

picklefishlips

This website has suddenly become even more awesome in my eyes.

But, yeah, I get the idea and won't use it authoritatively.

I think it's mainly a preventative measure against derailing upcoming or just-released game threads with a sudden fanboy war. Your example is a much safer context. Nonetheless, it's up to the people in power.

There has technically been a ton of port begging in this thread, but we're in a sandboxed environment. This thread probably results in fewer instances of mass-crazy in other threads.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Good choice for OP. Rosti is the shit.

So instead of bitching about a bad subtitle, we won't have one at all? Smh.

Azure J

Slick new thread Rosti. Glad to see things are lively as the march to E3 gets shorter. I might not be talking as much as I did in previous threads (fighting games and life taking over my GAF time, I swear :lol), but I'm with you all in spirit. :p

Sendou

1) Price? 299€

2) Release date? 10th of October

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 1.5x

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Large Steam support

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Captain Olimar promoting Pikmin 3 and the possibilities of the new controller

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions? Vita is looking pretty dead

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite? Wii-stigma

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Skipping a final exam? Dat vacation

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Too hardcore -centric. No Wii Sports equivalent.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? The videos of games from 1 year ago+

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
There's almost zero chance that it is the actual next Xbox. An initial devkit, maybe, but not the final console.

MS has already stated publicly several times that they're not introducing it at E3.
Exactly zero chance. Microsoft manufacturing the next Xbox in Texas? Seriously?

Honestly, whether its MS or Sony, I can't see them BOTH ignoring the fact that Nintendo is releasing a new console that WILL be direct competition with their "core" gamer market. I think it almost forces them in a way.

HylianTom

Banned
Randomizing that is fun.
I can't stop. Some of them make me wince, while others are just hilarious.

I think it's mainly a preventative measure against derailing upcoming or just-released game threads with a sudden fanboy war. Your example is a much safer context. Nonetheless, it's up to the people in power.

There has technically been a ton of port begging in this thread, but we're in a sandboxed environment. This thread probably results in fewer instances of mass-crazy in other threads.
That's pretty much what I figured. Trying to be very sensitive about it, as I've seen plenty of folks canned for it.

1)  Price? $350.00

2)  Release date? November 5, 2012...

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 5.0x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? A confirmation that F-Zero exists to them in some capacity and that they will begin working on it.

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. - Tingle

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? Sony will have something special to show in the winter for "mobile and tablet" gamers that will function with the PS3. Will tease ahead of time and it will turn out to be a ripoff of Nintendo's controller.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? "We would love to make software for the Wii U, but it has to be different/special!"

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam? Gonna sit back and order a gigantic amount of junk food for that day unless I have classes. I'll gladly pig out if my classes are later in the day. Gonna try and get a couple of friends on steam voice chat while we watch the stream.

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? "Nintendo doesn't try hard enough to get third parties on board. Where are RE6 and CoD:Blops2?"

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? A bunch of Donkey Kong, Mario and Pikimin, but no F-Zero, Wave Race or Metroid in site. Dammit I'm pissing myself off now.

I can't believe this is the fifth thread.

the thumb sticks are clickable

Funnily enough, I'm actually kind of disappointed by that.
Are the triggers now analogue? That's much more important.

Clickysticks are nice for some, but they're not really necessary for gaming

Analog triggers? They're not widely necessary, but they're crucial in certain games, like racers. In the past thread, I think people made a good case for why having them is important, especially since there could be two racing games specifically targeted to the race game enthusiast (Concept Grand Prix and Project CARS) in the release window or not long after.

Nintendo likes doing there own thing, and I think that the nature of the slide pads ("circle pads"? Wait, what are they calling them this week?) make it an interesting option to do analog pressure sensitivity. That allows you to have clickystick functionality but with a bit more added on top.

Thraktor

1)  Price?

$/€299 standard
$/€399 with 500GB HDD, Wiimote+ and pre-installed Wind Waker HD

2)  Release date?

18th November

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?

3x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)?

Jedi Knight 3, developed by Retro, Wiimote+ controlled, extensive online multiplayer, so beautiful you'll be crying yourself to sleep at night

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.

Olimar suit

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions?

Nothing much, they'll both be looking to get one more good holiday season out of their machines before announcing their next gen consoles early next year

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite?

"Our dev-kits got FedExed to the wrong office, by the time it was sorted out it was too late to bother with development. Nintendo's next console, though? We'll be all over that!"

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam?

Finals finishing a week before E3 starts, fortunately (really should get back to the library...)

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?

No Wii U Zelda

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?

No Wii U Zelda

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. That's kinda horrible.
If anything, I'd look to twitter for an official statement from the banned. That's been much more reliable.

Doesn't that require you to know their Twitter account/them having one to begin with?

I can't stop. Some of them make me wince, while others are just hilarious.

http://www.neogafbans.com/#/user/EviLore

"Evilore was banned on 4/18 for a millenium"

sameguy said:
That's pretty much what I figured. Trying to be very sensitive about it, as I've seen plenty of folks canned for it.

Yeah, once we get going, we tend to lose track of where the border between fun and madness lies.

WHAT ARE YOUR SOURCES HEATHEN

Heh, I think that's his answer to the "What will be Nintendo's surprise?" in the survey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom