• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors whose career crashed and burned after a hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

2007 Rush Hour 3

2001 Rush Hour 2

1998 Rush Hour

lol. Only three movies of the same franchise in 10 years. What a lazy bastard. :p

He directed 'Trust'. It was a pretty decent movie, I liked it.

In the case of Chris Tucker I think it's more likely that those movies made him rich and he's fine with not having to work for a living anymore.

I think that's a different situation than some of these actors that only had one hit that made them famous, but that they didn't necessarily made a ton of money on (or they blew it all) and then spent the rest of their career getting by by doing shitty roles.

Fjordson

I just watched the first episode of 'Veep', Julia Louis-Dreyfus' new series on HBO. Quite liked it. She's 51 and still so fucking hot. I mean, she's more attractive now then she ever was on Seinfeld.
Haha, man, exactly what I was thinking when watching it last night. She's fine as hell.

I feel like this happens a lot with TV actors. Playing a character for years and years makes it really hard for anyone to see them in a different role.

Just finished watching The Sopranos, and I really wish some of these guys did more stuff. Or at least, stuff where they had more major roles. Michael Imperioli was so brilliant throughout the show, but I haven't seen him in anything else lately. James Gandolfini is also criminally underused (though I know he's directed some documentaries, so maybe he just isn't into acting as much these days). Clearly a gifted actor that I'd love to see more of.

Haha, man, exactly what I was thinking when watching it last night. She's fine as hell.

I feel like this happens a lot with TV actors. Playing a character for years and years makes it really hard for anyone to see them in a different role.

Just finished watching The Sopranos, and I really wish some of these guys did more stuff. Or at least, stuff where they had more major roles. Michael Imperioli was so brilliant throughout the show, but I haven't seen him in anything else lately. James Gandolfini is also criminally underused (though I know he's directed some documentaries, so maybe he just isn't into acting as much these days). Clearly a gifted actor that I'd love to see more of.

get hype

Gandolfini's by far my favorite TV actor of all time.

jonathan taylor thomas
james van der beek
pretty much everybody on saved by the bell

Mario Lopez is still really big. He has one of those celeb gossip shows, no?

And Zach did has/had a TV show on TNT where he's lawyer? And did some other stuff too, I think.

Some people seem to be listing people who had a few hits then disappeared. I thought this was going to be about 1 hit then nothing.

Imperioli had that Detroit cop show last year on...I want to say ABC. Now he does tequila commercials.

The great thing about Vin Diesel's rebound is that he's using all of that newly found influence to get an R-rated Riddick movie made.

I was going to say David Duchovny, but he's been that Californication for a while, yeah? Meanwhile, Gillian Anderson gets plenty of work while trying to pass herself off as English.

D.Lo

Judge Doom, then Doc, then nothing really. Which is sad because I loved Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown, but he really had nothing after that.
For one thing you've got the order wrong, BTTF was before Roger Rabbit. He was also Uncle Fester in the Addams Family Movies, and became a kids movie staple. Look at his IMDB, he made several high profile films a year until like 2000.

Mario Lopez is still really big. He has one of those celeb gossip shows, no?

And Zach did has/had a TV show on TNT where he's lawyer? And did some other stuff too, I think.

Some people seem to be listing people who had a few hits then disappeared. I thought this was going to be about 1 hit then nothing.

Imperioli had that Detroit cop show last year on...I want to say ABC. Now he does tequila commercials.

Not to mention that Tiffany Theisen (she dropped the Amber) is on "White Collar" these days

Fjordson

Haha, yeah. I kinda like those, if not just for him. They're on all the time.

And yeah he was a detective on that show I believe, but it's already been canceled =[

Dabanton

Chris Tucker only does a movie when hes broke.

Also might be a little too early to judge. But guaranteed daniel radcliffe wont get much work.

Radcliffe has stage work and smartly decided to do other projects whilst doing Potter that began to separate himself from that role. He'll always have something to fall back on.

Replicant

Mena Suvari and Wes Bentley.

I thought they'd be big after "American Beauty" but they kinda floundered their career. Shame, since they both were talented young actors. Bentley recently tries to do a comeback though by starring in "The Hunger Games" but it'd take a film that showcase his character to do a proper one.

Wilbur

Banned
I always think its a shame when TV actors don't get lots of movie roles. Idris Elba and Dominic West done well out of The Wire, but Michael K Williams is severely underused, not to mention the people who played Avon, Bubbles, Carver...

I forgot Carver was in Starship Troopers and watched it the other day, he's actually got quite a big part!!

GDGF

Soothsayer

I thought they'd be big after "American Beauty" but they kinda floundered their career. Shame, since they both were talented young actors. Bentley recently tries to do a comeback though by starring in "The Hunger Games" but it'd take a film that showcase his character to do a proper one.

Wes Bentley should have been huge.

CiSTM

Banned

I have no idea who Mena Suvari is but she has sweet bikini bod:
sCIXr.jpg

Ugly tat tho.

Costanzas boss(the funny one that never gave a shit) shot himself in the face, survived and made a 911 call. This call was released and he said that he shat his pants. Not making this up.

Leucrota

well, Joaquin Phoenix did that whole stunt with Casey Affleck, or something, which I thought really crashed his career.

His career didn't 'crash.; He did an experiment and showed everyone you don't need to be a pretentious prick to be in Hollywood, even if you are one of the 5 best actors in the industry.

He is going to co-star in a movie with Philip Seymour Hoffman, another dude who is easily top 5 and isn't a prick, in The Master. It will probably release this year.

Good riddance. Dude must have the best agent ever to get him so many damn roles these past few years.

Before Avatar, I saw him in Gettin' Square, which he did a pretty good job in. Dude is a decent actor, but outside of Avatar (which was decent, if a bit unoriginal) every big vehicle he got a starring role in was a turd.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I see David Schwimmer in Chicago, not everyday or anything, but once in a while. I think he's invovled in the theatre scene here.

Which, I mean, why not? He made his money and now he's working on his craft/passion.

dejay

Banned
He was in Avatar?

Sam Worthington, not Frankie Muniz.

I see David Schwimmer in Chicago, not everyday or anything, but once in a while. I think he's invovled in the theatre scene here.

Which, I mean, why not? He made his money and now he's working on his craft/passion.

He's always seemed to have his shit together and had fun doing it and seemed to diversify his skill base the most. He started directing during Friends I believe. I think he's enjoying his career. Hell, all of them were earning 1million an episode for the last two seasons of Friends - I'll never feel sorry for them and their "failed" careers.

17231_f260.jpg

Thora Birch.

Child Star, American Beauty and Ghost World, then boom career death. Getting too thin, blonde hair + nutty parents didn't help.

Alrus

I wouldn't say Jennifer Aniston's career crashed to be honest... Outside of Wanderlust all her recent movie (whether they were turds or not) did pretty decently and she still gets cast regularly...

strafer

Cox is the most succesful Friend imo.

She has the Scream-franchise to back her up.

Fucking ey.

Best horror trilogy. <3

TheMan

Cuba Gooding Jr. hasn't really done anything of note after winning that oscar.

first guy i thought of as soon as I saw the thread title. I did like what dreams may come, but yeah after that he got stuck making shitty direct-to-dvd kids movies. baffling, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom