• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
bathala said:
saw the post on the other thread.
Ok. just bought a ticket and ridding the hype train

Lord Phol said:
So here I was thinking, poor poor DS, haven't gotten much love at home.
And then I'm reading this:

And now I'm drowning in my own semen.
Must HAVE this GAME!

EXCELLENT, it's working. Spread the word!

Nocebo

Good lord, just think of the many things you could do with just glueing things together. I'm going to glue so many things to a rocket it'll be ridiculous: clowns, ostriches etc. Or tying balloons to everything. In the clip with the whale, the guy is putting balloons on a whale and the other guy says "This is going to take a while" I wonder if that means that had he attached enough balloons, the whale would actually lift off into the sky?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

Well damn, guess I'm rebuying a DS then.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This game could give me an an incurable, debilitating disease and I would still pay double whatever the asking price is.

Blizzard

Banned
Nocebo said:
Good lord, just think of the many things you could do with just glueing things together. I'm going to glue so many things to a rocket it'll be ridiculous: clowns, ostriches etc. Or tying balloons to everything. In the clip with the whale, the guy is putting balloons on a whale and the other guy says "This is going to take a while" I wonder if that means that had he attached enough balloons, the whale would actually lift off into the sky?
Maybe...I liked that it actually made the whale light enough to be moved by a fan. :lol

pakkit

Banned
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

Seriously though, 5th Cell shouldn't even put out commercials. Just put this post on a piece of paper and hand it to people.

Put Jackson's avatar next to it for double awesome.

Shiggie

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.
Father in heaven...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

VGCats-yay.gif

Nocebo

Blizzard said:
Maybe...I liked that it actually made the whale light enough to be moved by a fan. :lol
Yeah, that was great.
By the way I wonder if the level editor let's you set up those trigger type levels as well. Like the one where you had to spawn a tool for 2 of the professions present in the level. Could you have it trigger on spawning "10 different species of X"? or "10 flamable liquids".
This game is sure to have tons of word of mouth. I seriously want this game to sell gangbusters.

Bernbaum

"A date which will live in infamy"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt, December 8, 1941​

"One Small step for (a) man, one giant leap for all mankind"
-Neil Armstrong, July 20, 1969​

"I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES"
-Feep, June 4, 2009​

justchris

Linkzg said:
why hasn't anyone answered? when is this released? I want it

Jackson is on a plane back home, or maybe at home and jetlagged. And its not done yet. Did you know it also has a mode where you can create your own puzzles and stages? Yeah, they still have some work to do, but he's promised us it'll be out by the end of the year. I have my torches and pitchforks ready.

Oh shit, I will see if I can create an angry mob by adding people and then giving them all torches and pitchforks to take on the robot zombie army.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Bernbaum said:

"I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES"
-Feep, June 4, 2009​

:lol perfect

Feep

Banned
Bernbaum said:

-Feep, June 4, 2009​
:lol :lol :lol

Unfortunately, none of the devs were around for me to interview. I'll try to give a bit more information. I'm almost POSITIVE there's a level-editor, someone mentioned it at some point. Not sure about the release date, but God, it can't come soon enough. And if it doesn't, I can just summon God in the game, and then probably my mother, and Mom will give God a good scolding. It seriously wouldn't fucking surprise me at this point.

Interestingly, when I spoke to Brian Crecente (Kotaku) about this game, he asked me to go back and enter his name into the system. Apparently, there are a bunch of gaming figures coded in as bonuses...when I went back, RawMeatCowboy (David Cassidy, head of ********** (okay that site is banned)) was there, and I entered his name into the system...a fairly accurate avatar of him appeared floating in the air. Crecente got shafted, though, no dice. :D And lord, WHY didn't I try Reggie?! I'm sure he could have taken God down. And I also wonder about GAF :lol

There's a cool "Par" system for each level as well, which gives the par amount of objects required to pass a certain challenge. If you score consistently under par, you can grab merits and other cool unlockables. There were at least ten worlds, and each world consisted of at least eight levels...but honestly, there will probably be a lot more. I mean, that many objects? They'll have more than eighty levels. I'm sure of it. Plus level editor.

Also, in standard levels, there's an item "budget", limiting the amount of items you may have in the field at one time. You can destroy items you create, of course.

EDIT: There are apparently 220 levels, and it's coming out this Fall. Thanks, Jackson! :D

Stumpokapow said:
Question about the "when you replay a level you can't use the same objects" concept--how many level playthroughs does the game remember? If I play the same level for an 11th time, does it remember all the objects I used for the first 10 times?

This is an excellent question.

rass

Feep said:
I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES.

that .gif of raptor jesus, where the little girl sheds a single tear, is exactly how i feel right now.

Jackson

Feep said:
There were at least ten worlds, and each world consisted of at least eight levels...but honestly, there will probably be a lot more. I mean, that many objects? They'll have more than eighty levels. I'm sure of it. Plus level editor.

220 levels ;)

It's coming out this fall worldwide.

Also... I'm back home!

Nocebo

Feep said:
There were at least ten worlds, and each world consisted of at least eight levels...but honestly, there will probably be a lot more. I mean, that many objects? They'll have more than eighty levels. I'm sure of it. Plus level editor.
According to one of the developers in the video clips there are about 220 levels.

Unison

Jackson said:
220 levels ;)

Also... I'm back home!

I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES.

PLEASE RELEASE A VIDEO OF THIS AWESOME STORY BEING PLAYED OUT!!!! :D :lol

justchris

Jackson said:
Also, this month's Nintendo Power issue has a 5 pager on Scribblenauts. :D

Great, I'll pick up the issue.

Now lets hear more of this about you being in the game. Are the rest of the team in the game as well? Will there be a credit list in the manual so I can summon all you guys and throw a party?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Cowboys VS Samurai VS a Kraken VS Giant Robots VS God VS Sasquatch VS a Panzer Tank VS the Space Shuttle VS...

Feep

Banned
Nocebo said:
Yes I agree. Youtube or it didn't happen.
= (

I'm so sorry. I was alone on the floor, I was playing, caught up in the moment. Scribblenaut devs, if you're reading, please re-enact my story and post it so they can see. = (

Nocebo

By the way how did they get the DS screens to display on the big tv?
Feep said:
= (

I'm so sorry. I was alone on the floor, I was playing, caught up in the moment. Scribblenaut devs, if you're reading, please re-enact my story and post it so they can see. = (
I'm not really doubting or anything, I just wanna see it so badly ;__;

tenritsu

Banned
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Holy fucking shit.

Holy jeebus whales. Looks like I will be getting this.

Feep

Banned
Nocebo said:
By the way how did they get the DS screens to display on the big tv?
I honestly don't know, but it was really sweet. We could all see the insane battles people were putting together. The units were DSi units, if that helps. = P

joetachi

Feep said:
= (

they should make a trailer with what you did.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I keep hitting reply to this thread with the intentions of posting some spiel of shit about why I find this game so phenominal, but always end up closing the tab as I can never put it into words.

So I'm just going to post this and let it be.

Hesemonni

Banned
Bernbaum said:

-Feep, June 4, 2009​
That's it. I'm buying the goddamn game.

Nocebo

Feep said:
I honestly don't know, but it was really sweet. We could all see the insane battles people were putting together. The units were DSi units, if that helps. = P
No weird wires running to the DSi? a specialized cart sticking out with wires attached to it?
I really want this at home.

Feep

Banned
GDGF said:
I just realised that I can glue a freaking laser beam to a shark's head.
Yes. Yes you can.

Nocebo said:
No weird wires running to the DSi? a specialized cart sticking out with wires attached to it?
I really want this at home.
The DSi was inset into a sturdy metal frame, so I have no idea what was attached. = P

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
All these pages in and
NOT ONE POST THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO TALKING SHIT

This is great. Even Chrono Trigger can't unite GAF like this.

I've been hyped for this since I first heard about it. Now I'm double hyped.

P.S. Typing NeoGaf into the game should "ban" your character somehow. Like a big red stamp of "BANNED" or something.
If not, maybe a big stone "Believe" or something.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
GDGF said:
I just realised that I can glue a freaking laser beam to a shark's head.

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

*sprays water on my screen* :lol :lol :lol

All these pages in and
NOT ONE POST THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO TALKING SHIT

This is great. Even Chrono Trigger can't unite GAF like this.

Someone will come along, don't you worry. It always happens.

Feep

Banned
Wait a minute, I'm an idiot. I just realized I HAVE that issue of Nintendo Power; they were giving it away on the show floor. I'll update this post with anything interesting I find.

Updates:
- This article says there are 280 stages, not 220. Awesome.
- At one point, the creative lead on the game found a bug in which he placed two bunnies on the field, and they reproduced infinitely and eventually crashed the game. :D
- Another bug he found: an elephant picked up a bazooka with its trunk and started firing wildly. Oh my GOD. :lol :lol :lol That's a bug?! Leave it in!
- The currency system is in "Ollars". You can buy new levels, avatars, and music.
- FUCK YES ONLINE LEVEL SHARING CONFIRMED. Friend Codes and all, but what-the-fuck-ever.

Batongen

Banned
This Game will sooo be mine. I had a similiar concept like this for a game once, but then I remembered; I'm not a developer ;).

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Holy fucking shit.

Holy motherfucking crap. :lol I was not entering in this thread because I've already decided I'm pre-ordering. So glad I came in here.

Nintendo should have spotlighted this in conference.

This thread must get new title stat - "I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES."

Jackson said:
220 levels ;)

Also... I'm back home!

Hey did you fucking read that time travelling dinosaur riding boy killing robot zombies? Awesome. Much kudos for this. Can't wait.

justchris

Feep said:
Wait a minute, I'm an idiot. I just realized I HAVE that issue of Nintendo Power; they were giving it away on the show floor. I'll update this post with anything interesting I find.

Updates:
- This article says there are 280 stages, not 220. Awesome.

I'm gonna trust Jackson on this one until he says otherwise.

Top Bottom