• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

Sometimes I wonder where this whole "the post apocalypse is a desert with a yellow/green sky" thing comes from. Is it from The Road Warrior? Because the sky was blue in The Road Warrior, and the reason it was a desert is because it was in Australia, which is already a giant desert.

Fallout 1 and 2 were in a desert too because... it took place in the American Southwest, which is also already a desert. What little artwork showed the sky in those games showed a blue one.

I think a barren lifeless desert is more appealing than Boston imo. But thats what it gets for being Boston.

I wouldn't be surprised if this person doesn't have the high resolution texture assuming that Bethesda outs some out like they did with Skyrim. Those will probably help some, but the game still isn't going to look amazing.

Justinh

It's not really a pretty game, but God-damn does it look beautiful...

I watched some random leaked video earlier today and the dude was kinda just dicking around with some mutant killing. Nothing exciting but it got me hyped because it looked like how I might be playing it. Just searching random things, looting enemies...

LAWD

Doesn't look great. But, I'm kind of okay with a big dev just saying "fuck it" and worrying more about a good game than ever-improving graphics.

It looks... kinda... meh? Certainly not good. The geometry on buildings is nonexistent. Textures are muddy at best.

I know mods will help a ton but.... yeesh.

I was just about to post i would build a PC if someone did that.

Shouldn't something like the be able to come to PS4?

I think F3 was a bit overkill with the tint, but I still liked the atmosphere it brought. Not really getting the same strong atmospheric vibe with this, but i'm sure i'll enjoy it in it's own way.

I have an i5-4690K & 290X...I know I would run this on PC better than the PS4 but would that do Ultra settings considering an i7 is "Recommended"? Again, I'm not worried about if I could run the game I'm just wondering at what level I could do it.

Watch the announcement footage or MS E3 conference footage again, focusing on the part where you first exit the vault. Shadow and foliage LOD is set to the same distance as the Ultra screenshots and doesn't match the PS4 version at all.
My eyes must suck. I'm not seeing it. Especially when the camera pans to the front of him and you see the mountains behind him... And in other places like right after he gets dogmeat to fetch for him. The forest is missing mad shadows... I dunno. It probably is the PC footage.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Looks alright to me in a "loaded up a last gen game on my modern PC for the first time" sort of way. Can't really complain.

bounchfx

for a bethesda game this seems like a natural improvement or at least sidestep from skyrim

comparing it to a non-open world game doesn't work though as there's far less going on so they can afford better graphics

but we live in a world where witcher 3 exists

Someone help me! I can't decide bt xbone version (love achievements) and the PC version (love graphics). My pc is more than powerful enough to max this at 1440p but achievements keep me coming back for more after I've beaten it.

Do you guys pick out this kind of stuff when you're playing the game? Like the windows. Asking for a friend.

Is this "asking for a friend" some kind of meme?

And yes, people do notice this stuff in-game. Easily. People are capable of enjoying a game and taking in the beautiful graphics (if they exist). In this game, people are going to be drinking all the irradiated alcohol they can find to take their mind off of the graphics.

Are you... erm... is your friend complaining about people complaining about graphics in a graphics-related thread?

tuxfool

Banned
I have an i5-4690K & 290X...I know I would run this on PC better than the PS4 but would that do Ultra settings considering an i7 is "Recommended"? Again, I'm not worried about if I could run the game I'm just wondering at what level I could do it.

I bet that is mostly nonsense. I just don't see the game scaling to 8 threads (at hyperthreading)

neoism

PC version looks really good for someone that's just getting the PS 4 version though I'm pretty happy with it it does seem to look a little bit cleaner then fallout 3 or even New Vegas it had a lot more grittiness to it this one looks a little too neat for some reason It still looks really good but of course it's not insanely good looking like everybody thought it would be not sure what people were expecting ... but GUDDAMN that is the ugliest UI I have ever seen ....😐 I know you can change it to pretty much any color you want so it'll definitely be purple in my game but still really wish they would give us a size option or something like that because I would make it extremely small I really hope the mods aren't too far away a UI mod is a must.

Do you guys pick out this kind of stuff when you're playing the game? Like the windows. Asking for a friend.

Yea, it's actually pretty easy in a game like this. I play Fallout (or equivalent open world games) for hours on end, just exploring the world and taking in the sights.

Low quality aesthetics can hurt that experience quite a bit.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely needs some help from the modders. No lie, Skryim from mid 2012 (when most of the important visual mods were done) looks a bit better than this (no enb).

Those trees need a little more detail and work. Something about them seems really splotchy in the branches but I'm guessing that's the FXAA.

Textures could use a bump up obviously.

What's up with everything being hazy/washed out? When I'm outside on a bright, blue sky sunny day, it's not low contrast and washed out. The world is colorful, even if I'm not in a lush forest. Would like to turn that off.

Other than that though, it's acceptable as a base. It doesn't look 'hideous' and there's a decent amount of density to the object placement. Could use a few more trees and some more underbrush here and there to convey woods but I think it gets the point across well enough.

Omadahl

Banned
Those windows... ouch. I know at some point, I'll just stand there and unload an entire clip and watch the damage slowly disappear. Anyway, as someone who just played through New Vegas for the umpteenth time with a buttload of mods, I'm still incredibly excited. I think we can agree, that while disappointing graphically, we're all thankful for another Fallout game.

Looks pretty good. I'm finally started to get hyped for this game, and my PC is ready for it.

As a side note, I hope there's a UI scaling option. That seems way to big and distracting...

Rizific

i was having a riot in the other thread reading all the whining about the graphics. i dont think they look spectacular by any means, but i dont think they look terrible at all considering its a fallout/bethesda game.

Hoje0308

Banned
60 fps and 16x AF alone will make a world of difference compared to consoles, plus you'll get mods eventually. I'll be stuck with (fingers crossed) 25-30 fps and the minimum amount of texture filtering.

MattyG

Banned
How CPU intensive do we think this is going to be? I have a 970, but my CPU is below the recommended (I have a stock i5-3570k). I'm hoping I can still get 1080/60 at ultra.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So I guess that's a no on HBAO+

j6ZBjh.jpg

Hopefully it's just not been released and will be as all screens look very flat without it. My first comment in this thread was about AO.

i was having a riot in the other thread reading all the whining about the graphics. i dont think they look spectacular by any means, but i dont think they look terrible at all considering its a fallout/bethesda game.

I still don't get this sentiment. When Morrowind came out, the water amongst other things was fantastic. Oblivion had a great draw distance and was expansive comparatively to it's competition. Fallout was okay, nothing great, and Skyrim looked fantastic on release. I don't know why some don't recognize that. Age is my first thought, but then again I don't know. Bethesda has put out great looking games, this is just okay.

Top Bottom