• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Kia and Hyundai remind of me of Grand Theft Auto cars.

That's a damn good analogy.

Also I was referring to this when I said "better" haha.

2012_Kia_Soul_!_--_02-16-2012.jpg

Coz you know... it's a literal Kia Soul lol.

That's a damn good analogy.

Also I was referring to this when I said "better" haha.

Coz you know... it's a literal Kia Soul lol.

it's ugly, and they should have named it Seoul.

I hate those hampsters, Kia and Hyundai need to go away. look at their 90's and early 2000s cars, how much shit they are, why dont people learn, how did hyundai get so prominent?

No Love

Banned

I hate those hampsters, Kia and Hyundai need to go away. look at their 90's and early 2000s cars, how much shit they are, why dont people learn, how did hyundai get so prominent?

Why? Kia and Hyundai are doing great and making great cars. My mom's 2010 Sonata has over 100k miles on it and runs like a champ. As solid as any Honda, that's for sure.

Your opinion seems based on their reputation from 14 years ago. They are prominent now because the are decent value for money and also very reliable.

Flo_Evans

I would vote hyundai/kia "most improved" from where they were.

My brother had an accent years ago and it was the scariest car I have ever rode in/drove. Constantly felt like it was going to break apart at any minute. To its credit it never did, stupid thing just kept going.

KingGondo

Banned
I have a 2012 Elantra and it has been a very good car. Bought it because I was driving hundreds of miles per week in my old job.

Pretty damn good mileage, and the options and warranty are hard to beat for the price. Doesn't look bad either.

With that said, the driving experience is pretty subpar. The steering and brakes are terrible--way, way too touchy.

Had a very brief go in one of these today...

Hybrid-Range-Rover_2650902b.jpg

It's... weird. I was only on a track for 3 laps, so it wasn't the best place to demonstrate the hybrid tech, as it does not make any use of the electric motor at medium+ speed. Pulling away was great fun though, 700 Nm-flat being delivered to the ZF 8-speed!

hwalker84

I could've sworn I posted this but maybe i had the wrong thread open. Anyway would anyone think I'm crazy if i'm debating trading in my Challenger and Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Wrangler Unlimited?

mkenyon

Banned
I could've sworn I posted this but maybe i had the wrong thread open. Anyway would anyone think I'm crazy if i'm debating trading in my Challenger and Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Wrangler Unlimited?
I would think you're crazy. Maybe it's the nature of Jeep owners (hate change), but I despise the Unlimited. I think the new standard ones are pretty neat, but the Unlimited feels like it's spitting in the face of the name "Wrangler".

Your opinion seems based on their reputation from 14 years ago. They are prominent now because the are decent value for money and also very reliable.

I guess they serve their purpose, cars for people who dont like cars.

I just hate their advertising campaign, and their image.

Are you planning on driving over large rocks a lot? Go for it if that's the case, I guess.

Otherwise, don't.

lem0n

Well thanks to a couple of guys in OT1, and some research online, I got myself a Miata. Finally, I have a FUN car! It's a 1990 NA with 138k on it. Tight as a drum. I have yet to find a fault. Under the hood is spotless, manual transmission is smooth as butter, and interior is clean clean clean!!

I only have one picture of it, and it's from the inside.

1557736_10152061539379506_577639386_n_zps2faa52dd.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
That P1 0-60 time must be on the stickiest of pavements with slick tires, I just can't fathom how a RWD car's going to get traction that's anywhere close to that in normal conditions.

Well thanks to a couple of guys in OT1, and some research online, I got myself a Miata. Finally, I have a FUN car! It's a 1990 NA with 138k on it. Tight as a drum. I have yet to find a fault. Under the hood is spotless, manual transmission is smooth as butter, and interior is clean clean clean!!

Congrats!

As an NC owner, I'm totally jelly of those pop up headlights.

Ash_69

Out of curiosity, how drivable was the gt-r on a daily basis? I know the 2014 has numerous enhancements to refinement (nissans weakness with sports cars IMO) as the older models got ripped apart across the piece for riding terribly.

On my trip to Dubai recently, I entered one of those botb competitions that you often see at the airport to win a supercar and dropped over £80 on a fucking raffle. What is wrong with me...

I expect my call sometime today confirming when I can pick up my Aston.

Boogie

Sorrento and Genesis Coupe are both pretty rad though.

I have a 2010 3.8 GT and I love it. Really interested in seeing what the next gen one looks like, though I'm wary because I really didn't like what they did with the front end in the 2012 refresh.

So, uh, the McLaren P1. Motor Trend managed to get some numbers:

Fucking thing just tore a hole in the space-time continuum.

That P1 0-60 time must be on the stickiest of pavements with slick tires, I just can't fathom how a RWD car's going to get traction that's anywhere close to that in normal conditions.

Super impressive numbers, but also why I still expect the 918 to beat it out by a hair on the TGTT due to its AWD system.

I only have one picture of it, and it's from the inside.

1557736_10152061539379506_577639386_n_zps2faa52dd.jpg

Grats! First new car of OT2 :D!

lem0n

Congrats!

As an NC owner, I'm totally jelly of those pop up headlights.

Super impressive numbers, but also why I still expect the 918 to beat it out by a hair on the TGTT due to its AWD system.

Grats! First new car of OT2 :D!

Thank you guys! Here's some photos after I cleaned it up this morning. She cleans up so well. Can't wait to get my orbital on the paint and see how she really looks. I guess a Miata was always going to happen considering how much Spec Miata racing I did on Forza 2-4 :D

1174615_10152062490649506_1255200091_n_zps0cb691b0.jpg

1097949_10152062490759506_1204410409_n_zps5d29ff12.jpg

1920424_10152062490449506_1411740688_n_zpsa421857b.jpg

2013 japanese sales figures:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...ahres-aus-japan-8200694.html#fotoshow_item=49
(just keep going backwards, it's in reverse order)

wtf, what's up with all these boxes? this is hilarious. do you even aerodynamic japan?

Aren't those Kei cars? You buy a car in Japan with that size and shape and engine capacity, you get a lot of breaks in taxes. You also don't need to provide proof of long term parking availability or something like that.

hwalker84

I'm not a mechanic but I'm proud of myself today. Put my mechanic hat on (first time for everything). Replaced the idler pulley and serpentine belt on my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L. She's running again like new.

lem0n

Honest question because my next car will be a BNR34 or a R35. Why do you find the R35 boring? Have you done any mods to it?

I'd like to hear more from you...
I'm no GT-R driver but from what I hear it's more like driving in a videogame than something more engaging of the same caliber, like Exige or 911 Turbo. It's all automated and it does everything for you so I can see how it might get boring after a while. It's a big AWD Nissan after all is said and done so if sheer speed in a straight line and around corners doesn't do it for you, and you seek a personality and quirks in a car, then look elsewhere.

Ty4on

Very interesting. Not a single non-Japanse car in there.
I really wonder what Apple has done to be popular in Japan. Seems like all kinds of foreign brands suffer there.

Aren't those Kei cars? You buy a car in Japan with that size and shape and engine capacity, you get a lot of breaks in taxes. You also don't need to provide proof of long term parking availability or something like that.

They're limited to 660cc (64hp), 3.4m length and 1.48m width and yeah you don't need to prove that you own a parking spot in a city to buy it. Looks like competition is public transport, not other cars :p

They're somehow popular in European cities as well. When size is a premium you go for z-height even though it makes the car really ugly. They're popular among elders because they're very cheap, easy to enter and they don't care about looks.

I really wonder what Apple has done to be popular in Japan. Seems like all kinds of foreign brands suffer there.

They're limited to 660cc (64hp), 3.4m length and 1.48m width and yeah you don't need to prove that you own a parking spot in a city to buy it. Looks like competition is public transport, not other cars :p

They're somehow popular in European cities as well. When size is a premium you go for z-height even though it makes the car really ugly. They're popular among elders because they're very cheap, easy to enter and they don't care about looks.

Easy to enter - That is a surprisingly important selling point in a lot of countries. The Wagon R sells a lot in India for the same reason.

Honest question because my next car will be a BNR34 or a R35. Why do you find the R35 boring? Have you done any mods to it?

I'd like to hear more from you...

The car itself is not boring, it's crazy fast but like other fast cars you get used to the speed.

I hardly drive it that's why I got bored of it.
I'm no GT-R driver but from what I hear it's more like driving in a videogame than something more engaging of the same caliber, like Exige or 911 Turbo. It's all automated and it does everything for you so I can see how it might get boring after a while. It's a big AWD Nissan after all is said and done so if sheer speed in a straight line and around corners doesn't do it for you, and you seek a personality and quirks in a car, then look elsewhere.

You are completely wrong! The Gt-r doesn't drive like a videogame at all...the car won't all of a sudden give you elite driving skill. Drive carelessly and you can easily crash like any other cars. It has its own personality like other cars, it's heavy but the suspension and power makes it feel nimble.

No Love

Banned

Yeah you're wrong, sorry. You're just regurgitating what you've read online...

Yeah I've had the chance to drive a R35 and it's not "on rails" like a lot of people have mentioned online.

It honestly comes down to me being able to drive a R34, and get some proper seat time. I REALLY enjoyed the time I had behind a R35. My friend's R35 has the HKS 800 full kit installed, and that was scary fast!

If the laws change in my province, and it gets harder to drive RHD cars on the road, then it's a road/track car versus a strictly track car.

The car itself is not boring, it's crazy fast but like other fast cars you get used to the speed.

I hardly drive it that's why I got bored of it.

Then get out there and drive it more ;) Is it stock?

Congrats on the Miata! It looks so well-kept! Much fun in your future. :) And much yellow in this post's future:

I saw my first 7th gen Vette in person this past Friday, such gorgeous lines on these cars.

The following day was a beautiful one for me, as I finally picked up my S2000 from a great shop upstate where it has been undergoing surgery for some time now. Drove it home 178 miles and it now sits in my garage awaiting bigger brakes, more rubber, and a thorough suspension overhaul... while I work my life away to save the $$$ to do so. I'll be pulling the fenders and attaching flares soon so I can figure out the maximum widths and proper offsets I'll need for my future wheels and thus how much meat I can reasonably fit underneath it without resorting to chopping up the wheel wells. This will be my dedicated track car for the foreseeable future--mostly for Time Attack/NASA TTx purposes. I'm afraid it'll be lumped into the TTU class when it's all said and done, where it may not exactly be competitive, but we'll see how much weight I can knock off and how much aero I can tack on before the necessary spring rates make it a skateboard. Whichever class it makes, whether I can put it in the top half of the timesheets or not, it'll be my own personal heaven.

Even with the boost controller dialed all the way back and running a 93-octane tune, it's fucking scary. Granted, that was on these old, cold, 255mm Star Spec Z1s... can't wait to see what it can do with appropriate tires. I am so elated.

The way they present the info leads me to believe the numbers were captured on a drag strip--if not a public one, then one they use extensively for testing--so yes, very sticky pavement.

And when you really want to go fast, there's this:

2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Pictures.jpg

I can't help but think that a long CF splitter is a terrible idea on a road car.

I'm not a mechanic but I'm proud of myself today. Put my mechanic hat on (first time for everything). Replaced the idler pulley and serpentine belt on my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L. She's running again like new.

Right on dude! Fixing up your own car is a great way to save money and is very rewarding. Also for the ladies, as Red Green would say, if you can't be handsome, at least be handy!

my grandma told me that when i was a kid, i told her i'd get a big fast car.

now i feel kinda weird getting a brz which is neither big nor fast lol

Viperbah

Apparently the new Viper isn't doing that well. Hopefully it is just this shitty winter because from what I heard, it is one of the best generation of Vipers ever made.

I am really not surprised the new Viper is not selling well.

For one, the GEN IVs could be had new for 80-90, the 13 Viper is around 110 (I know the msrp is lower but this is what they are selling for at dealerships).

The performance is not much of a step up from a GEN IV, and pretty much on par with the ZR1 (which came out in 2009). Asking Viper customers to pay 20k more for only a slight performance upgrade and a nicer interior is not what Viper customers want.

Add the upcoming Z06 to the list of cars the Viper will compete against and it becomes ugly for the Viper.

I will say this though, the Viper will always be more exotic and better built than any corvette.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
As much as I like my red Fiat, that color is a little tough for me to take care of without worrying about scratches marring the paintjob, so my next car is going to be a little darker.

The Mini Cooper S F56 I'm thinking about is going to be British Racing Green Metallic, because the national racing colors rule. Porsches only make sense in silver, French cars in bright blue, Ferraris in rosso corsa, and British cars need to be BRG.

Top Bottom