• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

As much as I like my red Fiat, that color is a little tough for me to take care of without worrying about scratches marring the paintjob, so my next car is going to be a little darker.

The Mini Cooper S F56 I'm thinking about is going to be British Racing Green Metallic, because the national racing colors rule. Porsches only make sense in silver, French cars in bright blue, Ferraris in rosso corsa, and British cars need to be BRG.

This man knows whats up.

As much as I like my red Fiat, that color is a little tough for me to take care of without worrying about scratches marring the paintjob, so my next car is going to be a little darker.

The Mini Cooper S F56 I'm thinking about is going to be British Racing Green Metallic, because the national racing colors rule. Porsches only make sense in silver, French cars in bright blue, Ferraris in rosso corsa, and British cars need to be BRG.

What? You mean Mercedes-Benz? Porsches aren't especially popular in silver that I've seen; much more likely to see white, black or a darker color (though yellow is the best).

Edit: MB and Audi have always been silver, Porsche does drugs and you end up with crazy stuff like this:

clEXbjt.jpg

you're not, that car is too sexy. The first time I have fallen in love with a coupe since the BMW 8 series (e: and well the new 4 series..). Pictures of the S63 AMG Coupe were revealed today btw:

008-2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-coupe-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/19/2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-coupe-new-york-official/

Dat Buick chrome strip.

It looks pretty good. Don't know if it'd be my first pick for a GT though.

Apparently the new Viper isn't doing that well. Hopefully it is just this shitty winter because from what I heard, it is one of the best generation of Vipers ever made.

Well it's pretty much outclassed by every sports car currently on the market. It's like one big last hurrah for idiotic stone-age American car design. I know, I know, it has a manual and none of them soulless computers. It's full of soul and passion and freedom. The Luddite's Flagship.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Oh fuck it, I may just get a Mini in red, I'll probably make a decision when I'm in the dealership checking off options.

Not surprised since next to the Corvette Z06, the Viper looks way overpriced. You're not getting more performance, refinement (compared to European brands), or a prestigious brand, so why pay 50% more?

Fun Fact: The Viper was never a good car. Ever. It's always been a shitty car with a lot of (and not necessarily the most of American makes) power that looks crazy and makes middle-aged men think they're cool.

I sat in an SRT-10 way back when and realized immediately it was shitty. I didn't even turn the key, you just sat in the car and thought "Wow this sucks." Everything was in the wrong place, the clutch travel was about a mile long, the footwell was cramped, my skinny ass didn't fit in the seat right, the god-damn shifter had this weird half-moon throw going on, everything. It all sucked.

Add to that everyone always saying that the car has no feel, the chassis is shit, etc. etc. and you realize it was never ever about being a good car, it was always about being cool and dangerous and maybe now that hot young Becky from accounting will notice me.

Viperbah

Fun Fact: The Viper was never a good car. Ever. It's always been a shitty car with a lot of (and not necessarily the most of American makes) power that looks crazy and makes middle-aged men think they're cool.

I sat in an SRT-10 way back when and realized immediately it was shitty. I didn't even turn the key, you just sat in the car and thought "Wow this sucks." Everything was in the wrong place, the clutch travel was about a mile long, the footwell was cramped, my skinny ass didn't fit in the seat right, the god-damn shifter had this weird half-moon throw going on, everything. It all sucked.

Add to that everyone always saying that the car has no feel, the chassis is shit, etc. etc. and you realize it was never ever about being a good car, it was always about being cool and dangerous and maybe now that hot young Becky from accounting will notice me.

Nah, disagree....its a good car, I had some big doubts before I bought mine but after owning it I was really happy with it. When I first sat in one, I was like wtf, this is awkward and I totally get where people make these kind of assumptions but you really have to drive one.

The chassis is built very very well...I mean the ACR was one of the best track cars ever built. It's a really low maintenance and reliable car too.

It will definitely get away from you if your not careful, on the track or street.

So I've ordered a bunch of stuff for my garage space to liven it up. I'm planning for some fluorescent lighting, so that I can actually see what I'm doing. Add a few more power outlets, paint, and wire for TV/sound.

Since I'll be spending more time in there, I might as well be comfortable...Wish me luck!

psylah

Anyone had any experience with paintless ding repair?

There is a ding in the side of my 350z, and it's right on the body line in the door. Would they be able to get that out without fucking up the body line?

Also, someone told me they drill a small hole in the car that they fill in, and this is the exact opposite of what I had in mind for the process. He was mistaken, correct?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

There is a ding in the side of my 350z, and it's right on the body line in the door. Would they be able to get that out without fucking up the body line?

Also, someone told me they drill a small hole in the car that they fill in, and this is the exact opposite of what I had in mind for the process. He was mistaken, correct?

I had PDR done on my Jaguar, and there is no hole to be made at all. They'll either massage the dent out from the back of the panel, or they'll apply an adhesive on the dent and pull the dent out gently.

Just do a lot of research on the PDR guy you are getting and see what kind of services he offers and how he works. Where do you live?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

ist sized, fist deep dent on my back bumper. Backed into a truck that had a bull bar below my sightline. I looked at the dent every day for almost a month. Seething with rage. It was so deep that I would likely be told to just replace the bumper, which ain't cheap.

Then one day came out of the house in the morning. And the dent was gone.

GONE. Just a crack on the paint.

No Love

Banned
ist sized, fist deep dent on my back bumper. Backed into a truck that had a bull bar below my sightline. I looked at the dent every day for almost a month. Seething with rage. It was so deep that I would likely be told to just replace the bumper, which ain't cheap.

Then one day came out of the house in the morning. And the dent was gone.

GONE. Just a crack on the paint.

Yeah. Those are "dent bubbles". They will pop themselves out usually with heat changes/time.

psylah

I had PDR done on my Jaguar, and there is no hole to be made at all. They'll either massage the dent out from the back of the panel, or they'll apply an adhesive on the dent and pull the dent out gently.

Just do a lot of research on the PDR guy you are getting and see what kind of services he offers and how he works. Where do you live?

South NJ. I'll find a guy.

The ding was fierce, though. I came back to my car and the person hit my door so hard they left rubber on it from those liners people put on the inside edge. I know the car that did it too. One day she'll get a nasty surprise.

AlphaSnake

South NJ. I'll find a guy.

The ding was fierce, though. I came back to my car and the person hit my door so hard they left rubber on it from those liners people put on the inside edge. I know the car that did it too. One day she'll get a nasty surprise.

Post the pic. I have tons of people in the NY/NJ I can refer you to.

AlphaSnake

Thats a good thing actually that its not as visible in pics.

Any PDR guy worth half his shit can get rid of that in 30 mins. My Jaguar was 10x worse than that and it three different spots. All gone in 3 hours.

ShowDog

Well less than 5 months after finally getting my S2000 I got rear ended on the highway and the car is probably totaled. Fucking sucks. Hopefully I don't get boned on the insurance settlement. Guy didn't even have a drivers license but at least he has some kind of ghetto insurance for mine to go after.

I'm coming around to hoping it is totaled because if it isn't I'm gonna lose some cash on the value of the car, there is some frame damage and all the panel alignment is wrecked plus who knows what else.

No Love

Banned
Well less than 5 months after finally getting my S2000 I got rear ended on the highway and the car is probably totaled. Fucking sucks. Hopefully I don't get boned on the insurance settlement. Guy didn't even have a drivers license but at least he has some kind of ghetto insurance for mine to go after.

I'm coming around to hoping it is totaled because if it isn't I'm gonna lose some cash on the value of the car, there is some frame damage and all the panel alignment is wrecked plus who knows what else.

No uninsured drivers insurance for your coverage?

Make sure to buy it back and part it out on s2ki.com... tbe motor and drivetrain and interior + front headlights are worth a fuckload. The motor alone sells for $3-4k.

ascii42

I finally got some much-needed new tires for my Olds. Apparently the old tires were from like 2003 or so. I was glad I was able to get white walls again, but something seems off about them. Maybe the white wall is slightly too narrow, or to close to the inside or something.

oAPH8Mll.jpg

ShowDog

No uninsured drivers insurance for your coverage?

Make sure to buy it back and part it out on s2ki.com... tbe motor and drivetrain and interior + front headlights are worth a fuckload. The motor alone sells for $3-4k.

I have good coverage but after taxes and all the bullshit I'll be happy just to break even, then I have to find another clean car quickly because it was my only ride. I'll probably buy the car back and split the money earned with a shop that can help me unload everything.

dumb question, but how does someone open the trunk of a car with a big factory spoiler, like say a Sti?

Are the spoilers usually designed so there are enough space to open ?

mkenyon

Banned
dumb question, but how does someone open the trunk of a car with a big factory spoiler, like say a Sti?

Are the spoilers usually designed so there are enough space to open ?
They're generally attached to the trunk.

I swapped out trunks with an STI on my 04 WRX, and then eventually went spoilerless.

Top Bottom