• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leonardo DiCaprio - The Greatest Actor of Our Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chef

Yes I said it. In the past 20 years Leonardo DiCaprio has been a part of some pretty amazing movies which cover quite a bit of variation. And with all the diversity of these parts he has played there is never a movie I have seen with him that I haven't been completely and totally amazed by his performance. Its true, he has been a part of some, shall we say interesting roles in Growing Pains and truly low-budge films like Critters 3 to pretty mediocre movie, The Beach. But from that beginning he has been a part of truly incredible movies.

Unfortunately, good ol Leo doesn't have a "Best Actor" Oscar under his belt. Being nominated for 3 Oscars for his performance in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" "The Aviator" and "Blood Diamond" but not getting the win which is a damn shame. He did, however, receive quite a few "Best Actor" awards but they are the type of awards that no one gives a crap about with the exception of winning a Golden Globe for "The Aviator" and the "Hollywood Film Award" for "Actor of the Year"

I put together a shortened filmography of what I believe is what defines him as the best actor of our generation. You can click on the Gif images to view their original Youtube video.

Whats Eating Gilbert Grape
His performance in this movie was completely out of this world. Im sure I wasn't the only person who, when seeing his next movie thought, "Wait....he isn't really like that?"
pic-01.jpg

Gangs of New York
Remember, this thread is to recognize Leonardo DiCaprio as the best actor of our generation. Now, I understand that, in this particular movie, Leo's performance next to the starring role of Daniel Day-Lewis is a tough act to follow. However, his performance in this movie is nothing short of incredible.
pic-03.jpg

gangs-of-new-york-o.gif

Catch Me If You Can
Not only is this movie hilarious but it shows a level of talent being able to mix a fun and comedic role along with a more serious dramatic role.
pic-04.jpg

The Aviator
His performance in this movie is on par with Whats Eating Gilbert Grape. Portraying Howard Huges OCD to such a remarkable degree you'd swear DiCaprio suffered from it himself. His performance in this film will leave you speechless. This one gif in particular makes me choke up. His condition is just a noose around his life.
pic-05.jpg

The Departed
One of my all time favorite movies. DiCaprio plays a more serious and gritty role than what he has portrayed in the past and nails it.
pic-06.jpg

Blood Diamond
Out of all his movies I am so incredibly fond of this gem is among my top 3 performances. His role in this left me completely in awe as well as completely teary eyed in a dozen scenes. Absolutely unbelievable.
pic-07.jpg

Shutter Island
This is my number 1. His character is the epitome of a destroyed man. Someone struggling to keep his sanity after experiencing one of the most traumatic events imaginable. This is the most memorable films for me and this scene in particular hits me like a punch in the gut. Ive never watched something playout like this where you truly feel your heart being torn our. The emotions that someone would feel if this happened to them is impossible to fully imagine unless you experienced it personally. But with Leonardo's performance, we are able to get a pretty good idea what it would be like.
pic-08.jpg

Inception
His role in this reminded me at times of Shutter Island. When he needs to crank up the emotion, he just flips a switch. Leo's role in the movie was extremely captivating but when it came to his performance with Mol, now that is something really worth noting.
pic-09.jpg

And there you have it. The greatest actor of our time!
come at me gaf

I absolutely loved Inception and Shutter Island, easily two of my favorite movies of all time. Leonardo DiCaprio is now one of my favorite actors of all time.

Before then, I wasn't too fond of Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor at the time, I only saw Titantic and The Departed with him in before watching those two films and to be honest The Departed is an incredibly butchered version of the amazing Infernal Affairs.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I oscillate between thinking he's a decent actor and potentially great actor. There's always been something that's just been a little off-putting about his acting to me. I've always had respect for him though. He could have gone down the whole teen heart throb route after Titanic and instead did a number of good films, sometimes smaller films by some good directors (most of whom were Scorsese).

btw I totally had a mancrush on him during the Titanic craze. I was 16 years old and tried growing my hair out like how his was in the mid-late 90s. Didn't end well. I don't know if he's still considered a huge heart throb or what but IMO he's gotten a bit weird lookin.....big head/little face syndrome.

Salsa

god no

he's good though, but he plays Leonardo Dicaprio in every movie except the best one he did wich was Gilbert Grape.

he also seems to have an obsession with a certain type of character and era and has been sticking with that for far too long by now

D.Lo

His accents and impressions (of real people) are always slightly off and he looks like a fat rat.

Ambitious at least I guess.

I hated Leo when Titanic came out. Then Martin Scorsese decided Robert De Niro was too old and turned Leonardo DiCaprio into one of the greatest actors of all time.

Lakitu

st5fu
He's in Tarantino's next film right? Should be interesting. But yeah, he's definitely my favourite actor. Brilliant in The Departed.

The Chef

And you didn't even list Titanic...

I debated. Even though I really enjoyed that movie and of course thought DiCaprio did a great job, I didn't really think his acting in that film merited special attention.

btw I totally had a mancrush on him during the Titanic craze. I was 16 years old and tried growing my hair out like how his was in the mid-late 90s. Didn't end well. I don't know if he's still considered a huge heart throb or what but IMO he's gotten a bit weird lookin.....big head/little face syndrome.

Hahaha maybe I should add that movie back in then.

Raxus

Wrong but Gary from Team America is.

Team_america.jpg

I mean he really made me feel that everyone he knows died from AIDS at the end of the play.

I hated Leo when Titanic came out. Then Martin Scorsese decided to turn Leonardo DiCaprio into one of the greatest actors of all time.

A lot of my hate for Titanic stemmed from having way to many sisters around me on its release. The insanity that movie inspired made me loathe it for years. I just recently watched it again though and Leo in particular is pretty great in it.

skynidas

Banned
And yet he still doesn't have an Oscar, I don't know if he is the greatest actor of our generation but he has some performances that are certainly worthy for an Oscar.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He's really good at being Leonardo DiCaprio and that's compelling enough for me to enjoy him in everything I see him, but he doesn't have the breadth of someone like Tom Hanks

noah111

Still Alive
He's not THE greatest, but he's up there. I find it amazing that he hasn't won a single Oscar, given everything he's been in.

Salsa

He's really good at being Leonardo DiCaprio

ding ding ding

seriously though am i the only tired of seeing him with the same hairdo and in the same type of suit playing the same type of punished/somewhat depressed and hurt character for almost a decade now? you're better than that leo

look at the five last pic/gifs in OP

jtb

Banned
Titanic is cheesy as fuck, but you can't deny that it takes charisma to convincingly perform those hammy James Cameron lines. Lots of energy, lots of life; really glad he chose some ridiculously great roles after that, he's made some great films with Scorsese. Not sure if I'd say he's the best actor of our generation, but he's damn good.

What I'm trying to say is that you should've put Titanic instead of Inception on your list.

He's just one of those actors that you know will be considered one of the all time greats in years to come.

I also like the fact I don't hear about him unless he's got a film out.

Hopefully he doesn't get fat and shit like Robert De Niro.

I would add The Basketball Diaries to the list. Also, who could forget Man In The iron Mask? Anyone who saw it wishes they could.

But yes, he is a great actor. I always look forward to his projects.

bud

i dunno, he's only had one or two standout performances for me. for now, he's 'just' a good actor to me.

he's still pretty young, though, so he plenty of time to truly wow us.

Dead

well not really...yet
I debated. Even though I really enjoyed that movie and of course thought DiCaprio did a great job, I didn't really think his acting in that film merited special attention.

Hes better in Titanic than he is in Gangs of New York and Blood Diamond. Not to mention its a better movie than those two as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom