• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Majora

I wasn't really a fan of Colorado with the wide, brown open area and a billion different guard outfits that all look slightly different and each of which grant very specific access to a small area. It seemed like by far the hardest area too, apart from Rose (who it seemed like all the good opportunities were set up around) the other three targets were hard to pick off. If I do go back to Colorado, which I'm not in any hurry to do, I might actually turn on opportunities. Just didn't find it much fun.

Hokkaido is a great return to form though. I struggled to make much headway at first. One of the noticeable things is how disguises are easy to come by in the first couple of maps but get harder and harder to get as the game goes on. Once I got a doctor's outfit it really opened up though. Just lots of fun and very creative. Definitely up there with Paris and Sapienza.

I'd rank them Sapienza = Hokaido > Paris > Marrakesh > Bangkok >>>>>>> Colorado.

It's been a great game but if they can get the maps to be a bit more consistent then there's definitely room for Season 2 to top it.

Personally I'd like to see a couple more darkly comic levels in Season 2. While the opportunities are creative, the level scenarios are a little bit dry. There's a lot of emphasis on big sprawling buildings in exotic locations. Which is absolutely at least part of what a good Hitman game should be. But I miss the dark or quirky set-ups a bit. There's nothing like Meat Party, Beldingford manor, Murder of the Crows or A New Life for example. A set-up that revels more in the mundane, horrific or surreal.

Speaking of a New Life, I think it'd be nice to get some levels as small and focussed as that one in Season 2. I appreciate that after the backlash to Absolution they wanted to show they could create big sprawling sandboxes. But it's nice to have some tight, shorter levels that you can get around quite quickly. Maybe they could put two shorter levels with just one kill each in one Episide rather than a big one per episode for example.

Still, it's better than I could ever have hoped for after Absolution. I'd just like a bit more variation in tone and level size next time around. And no more military type levels please, they're always the most boring Hitman levels. I don't play the series to trudge around dull military camps or bases.

Speaking of a New Life, I think it'd be nice to get some levels as small and focussed as that one in Season 2. I appreciate that after the backlash to Absolution they wanted to show they could create big sprawling sandboxes. But it's nice to have some tight, shorter levels that you can get around quite quickly. Maybe they could put two shorter levels with just one kill each in one Episide rather than a big one per episode for example.

The Bonus Episodes come out at the end of the month, and they are just that - smaller levels that just have one target in some cases.

The Icon is the smallest mission in the game so far, but it didn't really have much replay factor - maybe Landslide will be different.

Because he was doing Silent Assassin. His Plan B would be replaying the mission from the start doing the exact same strategy and hoping he didn't screw up again. Not particularly interesting, it'd just be doing everything the same way once more. Not some elaborate plan B.

Eh, he didn't actually lose Silent Assassin by screwing up there, just time. He could have just kept going and killed the target using any of the other SA methods in the level.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'd like to see a couple of the smaller, more focused-type levels mixed in for Season 2 also.

One idea I had for future expansion is an additional "tool" slot set aside exclusively for letting you bring a single "perk" item that's not a weapon or distraction. Lots of unique effects could go into this slot. Imagine:

- Binoculars: Self-explanatory.
- Directional microphone: Lets you clearly hear conversations from far away and through walls.
- Newspaper: Lets you sit down on any public chair or bench and blend in. You could also shoot a pistol through the newspaper while sitting.
- Rope: You may attach it to any handrail to climb down quickly or climb up from below later. Obviously climbing would be a suspicious action.
- Camera scrambler: Single-use gadget that makes cameras unable to record you for, say, 10-15 seconds.
- Carjacking kit: You may exit the level using any motorized vehicle that has not been blown up.

There are a lot of little effects like this that would vastly expand gameplay possibilities but would feel inferior if they took up a regular gear slot.

One idea I had for future expansion is an additional "tool" slot set aside exclusively for letting you bring a single "perk" item that's not a weapon or distraction. Lots of unique effects could go into this slot. Imagine:

- Directional microphone: Lets you clearly hear conversations from far away and through walls.
- Newspaper: Lets you sit down on any public chair or bench and blend in. You could also shoot a pistol through the newspaper while sitting.
- Rope: You may attach it to any handrail to climb down quickly or climb up from below later. Obviously climbing would be a suspicious action.
- Camera scrambler: Single-use gadget that makes cameras unable to record you for, say, 10-15 seconds.
- Carjacking kit: You may exit the level using any motorized vehicle that has not been blown up.

There are a lot of little effects like this that would vastly expand gameplay possibilities but would feel inferior if they took up a regular gear slot.
I love that concept, and your examples. Hopefully IO are already working on something along those lines.

Something I might want to add is something that gives you the ability to pickpocket.
Needing to knock out or kill people to receive items feels silly.

https://hitman.com/en-us/news/elusive-target-19#

17909846021205.94.d944cb0aa2cd747618c488dd0391c87c.jpg

At 14:00 CET / 05:00 PT on Friday 27th January, we’ll update the Elusive Target tile on the Featured Hub in-game and the contract will be live. Elusive Target #19 will be in Paris for 10 days (240 hours) and there won’t be any second chances. Remember that an Elusive Target cannot be restarted once any targets have been eliminated or any objectives have been completed.

Elusive Target 19 has two objectives:

(1) Eliminate Walter Williams & (2) Retrieve Memory Stick

I want to see the box of roses from Contracts to come back, or something similar that would allow you to open carry and aim your weapon but keep it concealed until you're ready to fire (with the box being destroyed when you fire). Add a bulletproof vest in there as well, something that doubles/triples 47's health but can only take so much damage before it's destroyed.

I'm curious to see what happens to the ETs when the physical game launches. Most of us are sitting here waiting for them to get more advanced & challenging (see the reason to the previous ET in Colorado) but presumably they'll also want to ease new players into the ETs.

I want to see the box of roses from Contracts to come back, or something similar that would allow you to open carry and aim your weapon but keep it concealed until you're ready to fire (with the box being destroyed when you fire). Add a bulletproof vest in there as well, something that doubles/triples 47's health but can only take so much damage before it's destroyed.

I'm curious to see what happens to the ETs when the physical game launches. Most of us are sitting here waiting for them to get more advanced & challenging (see the reason to the previous ET in Colorado) but presumably they'll also want to ease new players into the ETs.

Yeah or just the suitcase. It's in the artwork, but not in the game. C'MON IOI

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh hey, is that Helmut Kruger's rival? hahaha

Now that I've played the map a lot, as much as I love Sapienza, it really irritates me that there's the virus part of the mission. You're forced to go down there, even all of the methods still require you to go into the lab. Even the stalagmite accident still requires you going down.

I wish there's a remote kill for it.

Hitsmas is now a featured contract. There's also "Delivered Us From ?", where you need the delivery man uniform and circumcision knife for all kills.

I'm almost certain that armor mechanics were cut from Marrakesh, since the launch trailer showed the soldiers wearing helmets. Seems like a no-brainer for future expansion.

The Blackmailer was revealed as an elusive target months ago, so I would guess they might have been saving this one as an introductory elusive target. But we have Hokkaido next, and there's no way that will be easy.

Reven

Oh hey, is that Helmut Kruger's rival? hahaha

Now that I've played the map a lot, as much as I love Sapienza, it really irritates me that there's the virus part of the mission. You're forced to go down there, even all of the methods still require you to go into the lab. Even the stalagmite accident still requires you going down.

I wish there's a remote kill for it.

You can use the sniper rifle with penetration (I forget it's name) to shoot the stalactite from the garage of the mansion but it's definitely not easy and requires some set up.

I'm glad they waited til after Giant Bomb's GotY to let the GB references seep in. It's cleaner that way. What are the specifics of the Caravella contract?

Kill Dalia with a thrown kitchen knife while dressed as Helmut
Kill Novikov with a thrown fireaxe while dressed as the Sheik.

Boss Doggie

You can use the sniper rifle with penetration (I forget it's name) to shoot the stalactite from the garage of the mansion but it's definitely not easy and requires some set up.

at that point you might as well go down there anyway

Dereck

I got used to Hitman Absolution giving me the option to replay the mission from the last checkpoint and I overlooked this game's save system, oops.

justjim89

God, every time I go into the field lab I'm reminded how terrible of a level it is. The worst level of the game, one of the worst levels in the series, directly underneath one of the best levels in the series is baffling. No disguise works well without half a dozen people being suspicious of you in any sight line, it's so far out of the way from the main objective, traversal is a pain in the ass.

It's just awful.

Lima

God, every time I go into the field lab I'm reminded how terrible of a level it is. The worst level of the game, one of the worst levels in the series, directly underneath one of the best levels in the series is baffling. No disguise works well without half a dozen people being suspicious of you in any sight line, it's so far out of the way from the main objective, traversal is a pain in the ass.

It's just awful.

Feels like something straight out of Absolution.

Trouble

Banned

It's just awful.

It's annoying for sure, but at least you can shortcut it if you
get the laptop dongle
early in the mission.

Boss Doggie

It's just awful.

exactly

it railroads you into one single annoying area with no alternative means (all the variants still involve going in), that the only way to make it go faster is to start in the lab

yayaba

Probably not the first time it's come up but what's the general consensus on opportunities? I feel like I lack the patience to come up with strategies myself (it might also have to do with me playing FFXV and Destiny concurrently which are basically hand holding me through the whole adventure).

I had them on full on, but it seemed like it was just do this, do that, do this, do that. I turned to minimal but it was frustrating not knowing where to go even with the clue, just a lot of wandering around trying to find what to do. I guess I don't have the patience for discovering everything on my own.

I do enjoy the escalations though. It's fun trying to piece together how to get the right costume and the right weapon.

I will say I enjoy that this is episodic in that I only had to invest $15 into it upfront. If this finally catches on for me I can decide to sink more into it.

Trouble

Banned
Probably not the first time it's come up but what's the general consensus on opportunities? I feel like I lack the patience to come up with strategies myself (it might also have to do with me playing FFXV and Destiny concurrently which are basically hand holding me through the whole adventure).

I had them on full on, but it seemed like it was just do this, do that, do this, do that. I turned to minimal but it was frustrating not knowing where to go even with the clue, just a lot of wandering around trying to find what to do. I guess I don't have the patience for discovering everything on my own.

I do enjoy the escalations though. It's fun trying to piece together how to get the right costume and the right weapon.

I will say I enjoy that this is episodic in that I only had to invest $15 into it upfront. If this finally catches on for me I can decide to sink more into it.

I like them. I bought the full game during the Winter Sale so I have so much content to deal with it's a bit overwhelming. I've done all the opportunities on every map except Bangkok (working on the last two tonight). When doing the opportunities you tend to complete a bunch of challenges at the same time, so they are good kickstart to building up some mastery on all the maps.

If you're tired of having your own times beaten by stupidly fast speedruns, try Fall Season Preview from today's featured contracts. You have to kill five story characters in Paris by accidental falls... and while you can drag and dump them over ledges, the contract asks you to do it properly by pushing every target. This is supposed to be a contract that's basically impossible to speedrun, where even optimized runs take 20 minutes or so.

(We'll see in the coming days if somebody manages to break it anyway.)

It's just awful.

I sort of got what they were doing: building a dynamic maze where each possible outfit "switches on" one route and "switches off" all the rest due to different enforcer statuses. So there were completely different paths you were supposed to take as the lab technician, biolab security, or hazmat suit guy.

But it doesn't really work as a maze because the space is too messy and organic, and most people don't see the "paths" it's trying to point you at. Hokkaido worked much better as a disguise-based maze because it was made up of straight hallways and doors.

Greddleok

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to kill the male target on the Paris mission without changing out of your suit/getting detected?

The woman was a piece of cake, but the guy just wanders around a crowd the whole time. I never get an opportunity to kill him.

I thought about grabbing the firework trigger, but I can't make it up there without being detected.

Boss Doggie

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to kill the male target on the Paris mission without changing out of your suit/getting detected?

The woman was a piece of cake, but the guy just wanders around a crowd the whole time. I never get an opportunity to kill him.

I thought about grabbing the firework trigger, but I can't make it up there without being detected.
there's a small window of opportunity near the diorama

it makes it easier if you eliminate his guard first too

Trouble

Banned

I literally just finished doing that about 1 minute ago.

I killed him by
electrocuting him outside with the power strip in the puddle
. The
screwdriver
you need to do that is
to the left on a cart when looking out from the patio

Also,
there is a conversation you need to witness in the bar to trigger him walking outside

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

There's an auction invite in the bathroom right beside the ballroom and the two journalists arguing with each other. take it and you can make your way up casually (you'll be frisked though).
If you;re careful enough, you can nab the fireworks. Just make sure to keep your distance in mind from the security camera.

Start the fireworks, and wait for Dalia to start watching them on the balcony. Then wait for Novikov to appear right below her. Push Dalia off, she kills Novikov below. Double kill.

Moff

It's just awful.
Are you calling sapienza the worst level if this game?

madjoki

New difficulty coming:

We are very happy to announce a new difficulty level, which will be released for all HITMAN players as part of the free 'January Update' with the disc launch on January 31st.

Professional Difficulty Level offers extended replayability, new game features, a separate mastery track with unique rewards, tweaked game mechanics and new AI behaviour that combine to create an entirely new experience for all players, whether they’re looking to test themselves in a more challenging environment or earn bragging rights at the top of the leaderboards, which are now separated between difficulty levels.

Professional Difficulty Level can be selected for all Story missions in Season One, excluding the Prologue. To unlock this new difficulty level, you will need to reach Mastery Level 20 for each location. As a clear example; reaching Mastery Level 20 on Paris will unlock Professional Difficulty Level on Paris. Our ‘live content’ such as Elusive Targets and Escalation Contracts will only be available on the default difficulty level, which we are now calling Normal Difficulty Level.

Full release notes for the January Update will be published before the update arrives on January 31st, the same date that HITMAN - The Complete First Season is available on disc.

When you select Professional Difficulty Level, here’s what you can expect to be different:

4c752f06799b3f73785e65a96e746448109e5aaf.png

Fitz

Was a little sceptical about this being a "huge" update, but I like a lot of that stuff. Cameras able to spot illegal activity, and clean kills required to take disguises are especially nice. Extra unlocks is a nice cherry on top as well.

Javier23

Banned
That's just BRILLIANT. Love it. I'm incredibly excited!

I know that up until now you were supposed to make the game harder on yourself, and that you had plenty of options to do so, but this is gonna help make the game feel even more like the classic Hitman titles and I love that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hitman throwing down the gauntlet. Holy shit. Amazing. Unique unlocks. Hopefully the default level suits are in there finally.

The beauty of episodic, they would never have been able to update the game to player feedback and to this extent without it. And it's going to continue for another year!

Feels potentially new thread worthy?

Top Bottom