• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

Tizoc

Also in Majima's story you end up meeting Roronoa Zoro from one piece who is running a hostess club in Osaka

This is going to be my first Yakuza game! I love the style but could never play the PS3 translations because I could only take my PS4 to University so I'm looking forward to this.

Gatdamn it's reviewing well. I think this is the best a Yakuza title has been received thus far.

Now I've got Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 to play in 2017, and January isn't even over yet. And neither is my Christmas backlog.

Should I focus on beating Yakuza 5 before getting this? I'm 50 hours in but it's beginning to feel a little tiring. Will it be hard to go back to after playing Zero?

tesqui

damn dude 86 mc is impressive! especially nowadays where most games barely get above 80.

Also that makes this the highest rated Yakuza game on Meta Critic.

Did you guys read the EGM review? It's fine for someone to not like a game. I didn't see anything in there deserving of people calling them out.

Reading reviews of this game, its screenshots, the impending releases of Nioh and Nier:Automata...I didn't even realize how much I missed Japanese quirkiness in my games.

It was so normal in my video game heydays that I didn't realize how much of a specific 'thing' it is. Can't wait for these titles. Love playfulness in games.

Same day as RE7 though.

disgusted-Al-Bundy.gif

I know much less what to expect from RE going in, so Yakuza's gotta wait.

LiK

Should I focus on beating Yakuza 5 before getting this? I'm 50 hours in but it's beginning to feel a little tiring. Will it be hard to go back to after playing Zero?

Well, I haven't finished Y5 either so I'll do that first before going into Y0. The gameplay and graphical improvements will make it hard to go back to 5.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Wow! I've never really paid attention to Yakuza before. Are the games normally this well received? I might jump in.

I had never bothered with a Yakuza game before seeing the chicken video. Fired up Yakuza 5, which I had downloaded thanks to PS+ but never played. It's GREAT. Yakuza 0 is now my most anticipated game in January, although I'll wait until I finish 5 to pick it up.

8bit

Knows the Score
Ars Technica : Approved

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/01/yakuza-0-review/

The Good

An absurd world with equally bonkers characters.
New combat styles shake things up.
Wonderful presentation of a melodramatic crime drama.

The Bad

The main campaign is slightly tame for a Yakuza.
Might be too much watching and not enough playing for some.

The Ugly

Women are relegated to roles that involve being killed, kidnapped, or ogled in some mini-games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Between GR2 and RE7 I won't be picking this up right away but I do want to check it out down the line. Always wanted to give this series a shot.

Guess EGM didn't like it (5/10) maybe they just don't get the series, will have to do a quick scan of their review later to see what they didn't like but all the other scores are as expected though, Yakuza games are always solid. Can't wait to play it next week.

This is seriously an amazing day as a Yakuza fan. Probably our best day.

Please everyone give this a chance. So glad everyone enjoy the game I can't wait for my copy

ghibli99

GAF convinced me. Took advantage of that Best Buy/GCU/Visa deal and will be picking this up. I've asked about this series before elsewhere on where to start, but I think this will be my proper first Yakuza game.

Ars Technica : Approved

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/01/yakuza-0-review/

The Good

An absurd world with equally bonkers characters.
New combat styles shake things up.
Wonderful presentation of a melodramatic crime drama.

The Bad

The main campaign is slightly tame for a Yakuza.
Might be too much watching and not enough playing for some.

The Ugly

Women are relegated to roles that involve being killed, kidnapped, or ogled in some mini-games.

What's the approximate percentage if you'd have to take a rough guess on the bolded? Is it Metal Gear Solid levels of watching?

shandy706

+90 Reviews : 21
80~89 Reviews : 9
-80 Reviews : 2

Also 2 review with 100/100

Great

Haha, similar to the Quantum Break thread.

It had over 60 reviews of 8 to 10/10

Then you had the Angry Joe, I believe, review of a.........2/5.....lol.

There's always that one person or site where you do a double take. Have to let them have their opinion as long as it's the truth. We all have them.

Unknown?

I haven't seen such a hot take from an EGM review since they rated Aliens: Colonial Marines a 9/10.

LOL! They gave Aliens a 9?! Did pitchforks pay for that?

Did you guys read the EGM review? It's fine for someone to not like a game. I didn't see anything in there deserving of people calling them out.
Their review didn't seem super negative and apparently 5/10 is average so it'd be a 7/10 if it were school or any other site. Still, its way outside of the norm.

+90 Reviews : 21
80~89 Reviews : 9
-80 Reviews : 2

Also 2 review with 100/100

Great
Heck yeah!!

8bit

Knows the Score
What's the approximate percentage if you'd have to take a rough guess on the bolded? Is it Metal Gear Solid levels of watching?

I dunno, not my review and I've never played much Metal Gear Solid.

But Yakuza is a bit soap opera in parts, nothing more than about 5 minutes at a time though.

Rymuth

This is seriously an amazing day as a Yakuza fan. Probably our best day.

Please everyone give this a chance. So glad everyone enjoy the game I can't wait for my copy

It's seriously bringing tears to my eyes. To think all those years led to this moment

Top Bottom