• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Rule 1. Be attractive
Rule 2. Don't be unattractive

I'm not that attractive man
KuGsj.gif
my sister once described me as a cross of Jim from the office and Dan Akroyd. Then my girlfriend at the time agree'd... two goofy looking mother fuckers.

WENIS! How do you do it? I need to see the first messages.

Noticed your username right away, not too often you see a Jeff McDaniel's inspired one. It's a shame he hasn't released anything in awhile. Anyways, I liked your profile, it felt as if I were actually reading about someone rather than a quick, bullet pointed list... And dogs are pretty awesome. My roommates have a black lab named Chippy and I've pretty much adopted the guy now that I've lived her for almost 3 years. He is pretty great and loves being petted and tearin' up all the toys we've given him.

Unfortunately I haven't done much traveling outside of California and that one time I went to Hawaii... I'd like to though, just kinda go. Go somewhere and see what happens.

Like I said, cool profile and you seem like a really cool person. Hope the day has been treating you well and hopefully I'll hear back from you.

bye :)
-wenis

ps. Dayman is the best ring tone...ever.

that led to a coupe days of chatting then dinner. she was cool, talk to her every now and again through texts or whatever.

freshair

Pfft. Someone didn't read the messages I got. Those guys were attractive and if I was single I still wouldn't reply.

KuGsj.gif
my sister once described me as a cross of Jim from the office and Dan Akroyd. Then my girlfriend at the time agree'd... two goofy looking mother fuckers.

I'm just messing, haha. Really I think the key is to just be sincere/genuine and don't be too eager and over zealous in your messages.

re: wenis's message above. That's the usual approach I've adopted. Compliment something in their profile (not about their looks, they get enough of that), small personal anecdote, and leave with an open ended question.

I'm just messing, haha. Really I think the key is to just be sincere/genuine and don't be too eager and over zealous in your messages.

re: wenis's message above. That's the usual approach I've adopted. Compliment something in their profile (not about their looks, they get enough of that), small personal anecdote, and leave with an open ended question.

Sounds about right.

element

Okcupid and I have a love/hate relationship. The last two women I have dated I met through the site. Both were awesome. Attractive. Fun. But sadly neither one of them worked out. I'm still great friends with one of them, but she lives out in Boston and I'm in Seattle.

I go on the site, read profiles, find someone interesting and send a mail. But I might get a response 1 out of 100 mails I send. It is depressing. I don't think of myself as an unattractive guy, but it wouldn't hurt losing 10 or 15 pounds. I change my profile a lot since I don't think anyone actually reads it. I've done serious, bored, sarcastic, and friendly. Nothing. Writing about yourself is hard, so I'm having some friends take a look at it.

Sadly, the site is teasing me recently with this girl who is super cute, likes good music and movies, and admits to liking video games, she even lists Thief 2 as one of her favorite games. To make matters worse one of her photos is at a local pinball bar. Killing me!

Ladies are strange though. I saw another girl on there who said she liked games, but didn't really spend much time talking about it. Mutual interests in music, movies, and outside activities. What really caught my attention was three of her photos were from PAX Prime and one was of snowboarding. So I sent her a mail, said it looks like we have a lot in common. Asked if she enjoyed PAX and mentioned that I was a moderator on two panels and that I have been snowboarding for 17 years. She responded something along the lines of 'We have nothing in common. Don't email me again.' Ouch!

SolKane

KuGsj.gif

that led to a coupe days of chatting then dinner. she was cool, talk to her every now and again through texts or whatever.

Did you kino? How did you demonstrate value?

wenis

Did you kino? How did you demonstrate value?

I dont know about all that man. I just do whatever feels natural at the moment. I think I have a bit of charm, enough that I manage to sleep/date with a good amount of women without a lot of trying.

It's more of that holding onto them and having an actual stable relationship that I'm bad at.

-Eddman-

I found out that while OKC doesn't have an "official" site for my country, people from my area put their profiles in the US site anyway. I already made mine, let's see what happens.

There's also the local version of Plenty of Fish. Seems to have more people but the girls look like the average dumb, uninteresting people I see everyday in my city. I'm not saying i'm something special, but I'm your typical geeky, atheist, liberal guy trapped in one of the most conservative places in Mexico. We're talking about medieval idiocy levels here, lol.

So, I hope this brings some luck to my currently happy-ish but boring life.

freshair

So uhh... a shirtless picture in my profile looks kind of weird right? lol

Speaking with my female friends they tell me that it's generally a turn off, but I suppose it depends on the type you're trying to attract. Also I think context is important. shirtless at home in front of a mirror with bad lighting, or shirtless at the beach/rock climbing/fun with friends?

wenis

My self-summary: don't be like every other "dude", show off who you are. a dating website is the last place you want to be bashful

What I'm Doing With My Life: boring isn't a word ever to be used on these profiles (or anywhere else where you're describing yourself. Stop it, change it.

I'm really good at: no potential, "I will make you laugh" "I will make you smile"

the rest of this section was good, work on the writing, make it fun to read... "Constructing arguments about how crunchy peanut butter sucks, asking the most important question in life; who is hiding their rupee's in ceramic containers? you'd think after 20 years they'd learn some punk in a green pointy hat would come around to steal that stuff. Tinkering with stuff inside computers (yeah, I can fix whatever you've got broke :smugface:), philosophizing about eating that last red one, beating my drums and making beats that gets the ladies dancing in their seats".

The first things people usually notice about me:
This was good, fer reals.

favorite things section:

you don't have to make a huge list, but make sure the items you put in aren't just generic things, but stuff that will catch their eye. I'm not saying you should put some crazy obscure shit, but the stuff you read, watch, listen to, eat, enjoy does define you on some social level. It's not just another section to fill out.

the six things i'd never do without:
this was quite genuine. fix some of the grammar (because grammar nazi's do exist on dating sites) and it's golden.

i spend a lot of time think about:

the answer is fine, not great or bad, just fine. everyone does the self referential "I'm on OKC, har har har".

On a typical friday night:

even if it's bullshit, you're going out, you're having fun or you're in doing something fun or studying (that's if you're in school, if you're a professional, you're focusing on downtime and prepping for the coming busy week).

the most private thing i'll admit:
good, not great, but this section is also kinda bullshit and can have a silly answer.

I'm looking for:

best section (although personally, i'd raise that age gap, to 30 and turn 18 into 20. it helps.)

you should message me if:

perfect. it's short, sweet and they'll actually think about if they smiled while reading the profile.

your pics are also great. they show you do shit and have fun outside of your place. more though, more pics.

Onemic

Thanks for the feedback, I literally just made it when I posted the link, so my profile has a lot of messy in terms of the way its organized, grammar and stuff. I'll probably do the bigger changes tomorrow.

dude you don't live too far from where i go to school.

Seneca?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Thanks for the feedback, I literally just made it when I posted the link, so my profile has a lot of messy in terms of the way its organized, grammar and stuff. I'll probably do the bigger changes tomorrow.

Seneca?
Well one of it's locations, yes.
@York

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This topic made me rewrite my profile, but I can tell it might be coming off as cynical and douchey, when I want it to be sarcastic and witty. :(

I was totes gonna post my OKC profile but then I saw wenis' review of onemic's and I got cold feet.

Mind, I haven't updated it in quite a while, and honestly I should just shut it down. I'm in a stage right now where I'm kind of burnt out on the trying-to-get-a-date thing, and I'm working on getting my career on track. The dating shit can fall into place after that's settled and if it doesn't, well at least I'll have my career and be doing something I love.

As for my OKC record, I've made one really good friend through it (but that I'm not attracted to in that way) but every other girl I've talked to has either gone off the rails, never responded, or in one instance gone completely batshit crazy on me over nothing so I blocked her.

*shrug* My brother is getting married to a girl he met on POF soon though, so it's not like it doesn't work.

TimeDog's profile is fucking immaculate though, oh my god. If I was gonna reboot mine, I would so go off the deep end like that and not give a fuck.

I honestly have no idea why women use dating sites. A woman, even if she's aesthetically displeasing, is single because she wants to be. Women have it so much easier.

I honestly have no idea why women use dating sites. A woman, even if she's aesthetically displeasing, is single because she wants to be. Women have it so much easier.

Not true at all. Women are like mental minefields. Looks aside a person's psyche is very important - there are a lot, a LOT of BEAUTIFUL girls that I know (including my own sister) that have total dogshit self esteem. So there could be a gorgeous girl in your class who's just as afraid to talk to you as you are of her because she thinks she has some flaw or defect that you would never notice in a million billion years.

I know I shouldn't let their psychological baggage frustrate me but sometimes it's like Goddammit, if you could only see yourself the way I or others see you and not the fucked up distorted version that you see. SHM. Sometimes women are worse off than guys are. WAY worse.

Not true at all. Women are like mental minefields. Looks aside a person's psyche is very important - there are a lot, a LOT of BEAUTIFUL girls that I know (including my own sister) that have total dogshit self esteem. So there could be a gorgeous girl in your class who's just as afraid to talk to you as you are of her because she thinks she has some flaw or defect that you would never notice in a million billion years.

I know I shouldn't let their psychological baggage frustrate me but sometimes it's like Goddammit, if you could only see yourself the way I or others see you and not the fucked up distorted version that you see. SHM. Sometimes women are worse off than guys are. WAY worse.

Self esteem has zero to with what I'm talking about. A girl with low self esteem could walk into a club, a library, etc. and guys would approach her. Especially if she's good looking, but even that doesn't matter. If a man has low self esteem then he is fucking finished. End of story. There is no hope for him.

Self esteem has zero to with what I'm talking about. A girl with low self esteem could walk into a club, a library, etc. and guys would approach her. Especially if she's good looking, but even that doesn't matter. If a man has low self esteem then he is fucking finished. End of story. There is no hope for him.

Yes but then the guys will talk to them and it's over

Some shit is too much to deal with for a one night stand

RawPower

Banned
To be honest, I gave up on OKCupid a while ago. I never got even one date out of it.

Then again, I'm not an interesting person (or particularly attractive).

To be honest, I gave up on OKCupid a while ago. I never got even one date out of it.

Then again, I'm not an interesting person (or particularly attractive).

Don't feel bad. It has a lot to do with location and what kind of standards you have. I'm pretty good looking and I found the results and profiles to be more sad than anything.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thinking of changing my profile to this as my current one is incredibly dry in comparison:

My self-summary:
I'm like a sword, I cut through the bullshit.

What I'm doing with my life:
Constantly self-improving under the guise of self-imprisoned enterprise. Basically I excercise daily and I try to read a fuckton of books(1-2 weekly, so much OMG!) and watch atleast 1 movie(a week) so I can get some goddamn culture in me.

I'm really good at:
Common Sense
Untangling things
Fixing your computer
Oral
Trying new foods
Banging out a 100 sentences

My hair, Fabio fall back.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music and food:

Here are some examples:

Books: Mystery(Touching Evil), Fantasy(Game of Thrones), Scifi(Halo)

Movies: Action(Kill Bill), Drama, Thriller, Horror(silent Hill), Comedy(Easy A)

Shows: Drama(House M.D., Luther) Comedy(Archer, Futurama, Simpsons) Scifi(Battlestar Galactica)

Music: Pop(Little Boots, Gaga, Lykke Li) consumes my taste foremost, then Dubstep(the real kind, not the WUB WUB such as Burial, Clubroot) and Classical and a bit of a bunch of other genres(Kaki King, Janelle Monáe, Sigur Ros, Nujabes).

Food: I eat whatever is on my plate.

Six things I could never do without:

My dog
My family
Water, cause I get thirsty writing this bitch.
Music
Words
Even numbers because those other numbers are so odd.

I spend a lot of time thinking about:

Stressing the small things and laughing at the big things.

On a typical Friday Night I am:

Not here.

The most private thing I'm willing to admit:

I'm less of a many acquaintances person and more of a few close friends kind.

You should message me if:

You can go to toe with me in the squared circle.
You need a dick that listens.
A conversation that starts at day and ends at night.
if u liek dis n u cried

Thoughts? Reviews? Criticisms? And I gotta flesh out the Books, movies, shows, section with some more examples, I know.

wwm0nkey

I've gotten one date out of the site it was amazing but we eventually decided to cut it off due to distance reasons, have not been able to get a date since then :/

Sai-kun

Banned
Music: Pop(Little Boots, Gaga, Lykke Li) consumes my taste foremost, then Dubstep(the real kind, not the WUB WUB such as Burial, Clubroot) and Classical and a bit of a bunch of other genres(Kaki King, Janelle Monáe, Sigur Ros, Nujabes).

Marry me!

Thinking of changing my profile to this as my current one is incredibly dry in comparison:

My self-summary:
I'm like a sword, I cut through the bullshit.

What I'm doing with my life:
Constantly self-improving under the guise of self-imprisoned enterprise. Basically I excercise daily and I try to read a fuckton of books(1-2 weekly, so much OMG!) and watch atleast 1 movie(a week) so I can get some goddamn culture in me.

I'm really good at:
Common Sense
Untangling things
Fixing your computer
Oral
Trying new foods
Banging out a 100 sentences

My hair, Fabio fall back.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music and food:

Here are some examples:

Books: Mystery(Touching Evil), Fantasy(Game of Thrones), Scifi(Halo)

Movies: Action(Kill Bill), Drama, Thriller, Horror(silent Hill), Comedy(Easy A)

Shows: Drama(House M.D., Luther) Comedy(Archer, Futurama, Simpsons) Scifi(Battlestar Galactica)

Food: I eat whatever is on my plate.

Six things I could never do without:

My dog
My family
Water, cause I get thirsty writing this bitch.
Music
Words
Even numbers because those other numbers are so odd.

I spend a lot of time thinking about:

Stressing the small things and laughing at the big things.

On a typical Friday Night I am:

Not here.

The most private thing I'm willing to admit:

I'm less of a many acquaintances person and more of a few close friends kind.

You should message me if:

You can go to toe with me in the squared circle.
You need a dick that listens.
A conversation that starts at day and ends at night.
if u liek dis n u cried

Thoughts? Reviews? Criticisms? And I gotta flesh out the Books, movies, shows, section with some more examples, I know.

Advice: remove oral.

A woman reading that a guy online claims hes good at oral will get the same response if he said his cock is 10 inches.

Dont mention your sexual prowess when trying to meet a chick on dating websites.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Advice: remove oral.

A woman reading that a guy online claims hes good at oral will get the same response if he said his cock is 10 inches.

Dont mention your sexual prowess when trying to meet a chick on dating websites.
Makes sense. Anything else? I think I'll ask the rest of Dating-Age as well.

Cronox

Banned
Small tip for guys here - if the overweight girls can put "average" for body type, so can you. "A few pounds extra" usually means obese. Hell, sometimes average can mean obese.

Lucario

I have one major issue with OKCupid.

5Iikm.png

This email might as well read "we have decided to hide everyone who isn't in front of a camera with a myspace angle/has photoshopped blue eyes from your matches. Enjoy!"

and no, this isn't stealth brag, I'm pretty sure this is just a "self-esteem" email that most people get. It's still annoying as fuck that OKC basically just came out and said "hey, we're gonna hide ugly people from you because appearance is the only thing that matters, I know you like gingers but TOO FUCKING BAD YOU WON'T SEE THEM ANYMORE :D"

The other major pet peeve I have, which also kind of turns into hilarity:

One of the first match questions OKC tends to ask is something like "Would you strongly prefer to go out with someone of your own race?"

First of all, -almost every white boy around me has this marked as mandatory-. So apparently everyone is a fucking massive racist cunt. Neat.

Second of all, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS QUESTION SUPPOSED TO DO? Okay, let me explain something about the OKC algorithm: it doesn't care about context. It just matches shit together. Let's say a white racist and an asain racist both would strongly prefer to meet someone of their own race. They both mark the question as mandatory, and it recommends them as a match. Does the question only exist so I can attempt to hide racists?

Second of all, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS QUESTION SUPPOSED TO DO? Okay, let me explain something about the OKC algorithm: it doesn't care about context. It just matches shit together. Let's say a white racist and an asain racist both would strongly prefer to meet someone of their own race. They both mark the question as mandatory, and it recommends them as a match. Does the question only exist so I can attempt to hide racists?

Yes. And even if OKC recommends a racist black girl to a racist white guy, it's not like he's going to click on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom