• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Map Screens That Sucked You Into the Game

Jeffzomg

Neo Member
Tyria_unexplored_map.jpg

Guild Wars has the best map I've ever seen.

Marche90

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

Artistically, I prefer Cross' (dat hand-painted style), but for nostalgia's sake, my favorite is Trigger's

ParityBit

Came here to post this, although I would have found a picture of the cloth map and moonstone ;). Runner up:

VARN.jpg

been so long since I have seen this map. Sent chills down my spine. I loved this game and played it for many many hours. My map was ripped (and taped) along all the folds.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll never forget the Mass Effect galaxy map. Jumping around the Milky Way in that interface was, and continues to be, pretty awesome.

I vastly prefer the way they present planets in ME1. You had that closeup look of the planets taking almost half your screen, making them look much bigger, cooler and it had that mysterious and dangerous feeling of an unknown planet.

Sadly, Google Images sucks at giving a good example and im not at home right now to boot the game.

The way they present them from afar in ME2 and ME3 greatly diminish that effect. Thanks Normandy scanner for ruining that.

Epix

FF7, playing hours in Midgar at the beginning of the game only to step out onto the World Map for the first and realizing that you haven't done shit yet. Loved it.

midgar.jpg

Soul_Pie

What did they do to DKC3?
XkHKN.png

That's better. I liked the exploration aspect they added to DKC3.

Something about that map and the associated music just brings about a wave of memories and nostalgia. There's something in the atmosphere of it. They completely ruined that on the GBA version.

Definitely a great map screen, love how it had little sidequests as well.

Coldsnap

worldmap.jpg

World map didn't look the best but it was well laid out and you always knew your current location compared so the 3 main cities.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i wonder why this wasn't posted yet
xenoblade-1.jpg

back than I was like "nah, that can't be only one of over 20 areas, can it?"

"Back then"? The (Japanese version of the) game is barely two years old.

Most fucking amazing game ever! I have the Collectors edition already preordered and reading the novels as we speak. Its going to be glorious.

BTW, somethig mind blowing amazing...

Let me introduce you to this, my friend snuggler...

First of all, THIS is the whole map of the original The Witcher. A small zone of the Temeria Kingdom.
rWJoA.jpg

This is the world Sapkowski created for the novels, the empire of Nilfgaard
aqRT5.jpg

This is the map from The Witcher 2, is difficult to know what the places are as the names are written in another language
VbjK4.jpg

And this, is the incredible comparison shot of where the second game takes place, compared to the original. Holy moly of god.
nUfnQ.jpg

You can see just how big has the world scale up to compared to the little zone you played in The Witcher. Yeah, most probably it will be zones from the whole map, but it will still be bigger and much more varied than in the original game.
Also you can see one of the main things in the story just be looking at the map, as we know for the title and trailers theres an assasin thats been killing kings. Or rather we say it has killed 1 king.
If you look at the map, theres a vacant throne in the Kingdom of Aedirn, which means that the kings head in the trailer was from there. The other 3 kings are:
-King Foltest from Temeria (the main king in the witcher 1)
-King Radovid V the Stern of Redenia (the king that appears also in the game and future husband of Adda, Foltest's daugther
if you didnt kill adda, of course
)
-King Henselt of Kaedwen (isnt mentioned in the first game)

A few details to be more excited!

Despite the smaller game world, the original felt bigger.

bengraven

Nintendo kind of wins this for me.

Next up would be Morrowind. After a couple sessions I realized Morrowind was completely open in every sense of the word; then I saw the map. I realized just HOW big the world was and my jaw dropped.

And then this:

I remember people comparing screenshots to the map and we suddenly realized how fucking huge the world was.

can people please post the names of the games instead of just posting images? Some of these maps look amazing and I'd love to try the games if I knew what they were.

image015.gif

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
buried in the manual, but still great.

11266-Ivalice-World-Map.jpg

I love how it gives you the impression that you're only exploring a small part of each continent. It's a nice trick that helps make the world feel huge and unique.

Tactics Ogre right? I only played like 6 hours of this game but felt that the map was truly a highlight. I loved being on the map, plus it has wonderful music.

Edit: Haha I'm retarded then thats FF tactics? I never played that game either, they look similar though.

Tactics Ogre right? I only played like 6 hours of this game but felt that the map was truly a highlight. I loved being on the map, plus it has wonderful music.

Edit: Haha I'm retarded then thats FF tactics? I never played that game either, they look similar though.

Actually, thats Final Fantasy XII. This is Tactics:

KaDwK.jpg

It's what I came here to post. My number 1 overworld.

drspeedy

ME: "Oh, man. This is gonna be a LTTP thread!"

[clicks link]

Me: "Yep! Wonder if SML is... yep. I'll just post FFVII- "

"oh Hey. Nice! Ok, no one will have covered Skies of Ar...."

GAF is so amazing. I love you guys.

Also: Metroid Prime. Best 3D map ever.

CxJkV.png

Thief maps.

Just what you'd expect from sketchy intel. No player marker either.

Of course the best part is when you step into a level a realize how intricate it is.

can people please post the names of the games instead of just posting images? Some of these maps look amazing and I'd love to try the games if I knew what they were.

image015.gif

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
buried in the manual, but still great.

Why does seen so similar to Metal Gear Solid? Even had the tower where you fight the Hind-D.

redcrayon

Secret of mana for me- flying over it in Mode 7, looking for new bits to land on and explore!
Actually, thinking of that, FFVI, VII and IX for the same reasons.

More recently, Dragon's Dogma and Mass Effect 2, I felt the maps of both gave an impression of a world/galaxy that was epic in scope. DD's map was helped by it's nightcycle and limited fast travel, making a ten-minute walk feel like a real trek into places unknown.

rBA7q.jpg

Chrono Cross. The theme music for both worlds was just so good and the layout was so great.

yeah i don't know why anyone is hard on that game. The music and art were beautiful. the battles were fun. the story was bizarre but really when are the stories in jrpg's actually cogent?

I'm going to load this up and start playing again when I get home. Never did finish the game. I think my last save puts me at about 6 hours in.

Why does seen so similar to Metal Gear Solid? Even had the tower where you fight the Hind-D.

more similarities throughout. Metal Gear 2 is like the proto Metal Gear Solid in terms of the major set pieces and areas. You enter that initial building via air duct just like in MGS. then there is that swamp section. Fuck that swamp section.

mnannola

Came to post Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile 2 - nicely done yepyepyep.

Daggerfall's map is probably worth a mention. Absolutely vast, shame it all looks pretty much the same!

Zoomed out:
iliacbay.jpg

Zoomed in on one province (Daggerfall) showing all the places you can visit:
daggerfallmap.gif

This is the winner. Getting out of the first cave and seeing where you are on the map, then seeing how long it freaking takes to walk to the closest town, is mind blowing.

ghostmind

WorldOfXeen_DarksideMap.jpg

WorldOfXeen_LandMap.jpg

Outside of the Ultima series, this was the pinnacle for me. The ability to transit between the two halves of Xeen and then have a third overarching quest was mindblowing.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The game isn't out yet in the US, but when I played Ni No Kuni at E3 this year, I absolutely fell in love with the world map. Old school JRPG, and very, very charming. I was gutted when it was pushed to 2013.

I enjoyed the game overall, but I really loved that overworld map.

Screen:

Hiltz

I don't think you can beat Link to the Past and Super Mario World.

Runner-ups: Donkey Kong Country,Metroid,Castlevania, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, Xenoblade Chronicles.

Ahh, I love this topic. I really love maps growing up and I still do today. I'll toss in my favorite that I've not seen mentioned yet. I know that it's just a map of actual locations, as opposed to a map of a new game world, but I still just totally associate it with the game that it came with (Sid Meier's Pirates!). My copy actually fell apart at the edges from my folding and unfolding it while playing Pirates! until I basically had the entire map memorized.

Quoting, since it's a big dang image.

VashTS

^ Pirates! was one of the most memorable, especially since treasure maps are a huge part of the game and you have to find specific landmarks to match it to the main map. Pirates! was the best!

^ Pirates! was one of the most memorable, especially since treasure maps are a huge part of the game and you have to find specific landmarks to match it to the main map. Pirates! was the best!

Yeah, it was fun putting the maps together and scanning all over on the coastlines to try to match them up.

361224-sid-meier-s-pirates-atari-st-screenshot-map-to-lost-sister.png

I think thats FF12 :p

Top Bottom