• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Game Informer Details

ImLibo

Unreal Engine 4 has a 10 page article in the newest GI
Heres some tidbits:

•Epic talked with hardware manufacturers like Intel,AMD,Nvidia and qualcomm to workout a tech road map.
•the demo GI saw was running on a single Nvidia GeForce GTX 680
•New image based Lens Flare tech,occurs dynamically.
•UE4 capable of producing one million particles at once with no hit to game peformance.
•planning to release UE4 dev kit soon
•Epic wants "to empower game designers,to take charge of as much of the game production process as possible"
•"Next gen will be about alot of things besides just next-gen graphics performance"
•UE4 being designed for a decade that starts with the advent of next gen consoles

•entire creation process streamlined,Designers can edit and recompile source code without leaving the editor,take control of the game anytime they want.

•"new interface empowers designers to tweak basic programming without having to call over a programmer,Tech artists will be able to create complex assets and programmers can expose certain values for designers as needed to give them access to simple tweaks"

ibgcMAbm3dSITW.gif

Pranay

Heres some tidbits:

•Epic talked with hardware manufacturers like Intel,AMD,Nvidia and qualcomm to workout a tech road map.
•UE4 capable of producing one million particles at once with no hit to game peformance.
•Epic wants "to empower game designers,to take charge of as much of the game production process as possible"
•"Next gen will be about alot of things besides just next-gen graphics performance"
•UE4 being designed for a decade that starts with the advent of next gen consoles

•entire creation process streamlined,Designers can edit and recompile source code without leaving the editor,take control of the game anytime they want.

•"new interface empowers designers to tweak basic programming without having to call over a programmer,Tech artists will be able to create complex assets and programmers can expose certain values for designers as needed to give them access to simple tweaks"

New Thread worthy info

Thanks ~

r@v3n

Heres some tidbits:

Looking forward towards epic revealing some more details. By any chance, do u have the link?

NateDrake

Heres some tidbits:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38436013&postcount=290

Heres some tidbits:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38436013&postcount=290

If its designed to run on a smartphone, there shouldn´t be any problem running on Wii U

Wii U next gen confirmed!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait.

Even the people who will inevitably say the tech demo is not impressive, will be blown away when they actually see games for this.

When Gears 4, Batman Arkam Whatever, Bioshock Infinite 2" or other examples are shown on next gen hardware running UE4, there will be no one saying, "it doesnt look any different".

Derrick01

Banned
That gif does absolutely nothing for me. You could have told me that was from this gen and I'd probably believe you.

But the important thing is making the process easier for developers. Hopefully that keeps costs somewhat in check too.

as long as these next gen systems are running V-Sync for FUCKS SAKE!

all those pretty graphics aren't shit when they are tearing all the time.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If its designed to run on a smartphone, there shouldn´t be any problem running on Wii U

Wii U next gen confirmed!

Unreal Engine 4 most likely has a expected lifetime of 5 to 10 years. Epic needs to talk to smartphone processor architects because during that time span, SOC's will be in the boundaries of power in which they can take advantage of UE4. This is no confirmation that UE4 can run in any current hardware with decent fidelity besides the GTX680.

BigTnaples

Like better frame rate?

Please?

Framrates have nothing to do with engines. Framerates will hit 30 regularly, and occasionally below.

For every CoD and Rage where 60fps is the focus, there will be games like Gears and Doom 3 where graphics are the focus.

It is a matter of style, and some devs and gamers will always want better graphics over 60fps. Including me. However I prefer both, which is why I own an awesome PC...

someone pointed it out in the last thread but that gif looks like borderline CG. Look at the little armor piece on the guys left leg as it moves. No clipping at all.

Eusis

That, and they got UE3 running on the iOS when it was relatively close to the Wii. It's more about the feature set than raw power IIRC, you could probably have a godlike Voodoo 2-based chip that could push enough polys to do Avatar detail in real time, and you still couldn't get anything on it because of how pathetic the feature set is by today's standards. You couldn't even go past 16-bit color for fuck's sake.

That gif does absolutely nothing for me. You could have told me that was from this gen and I'd probably believe you.

But the important thing is making the process easier for developers. Hopefully that keeps costs somewhat in check too.

You'd be mighty foolish then.

Xpliskin

Running on a single GTX 680, neat requirements.

The good thing is this isn't as big a jump as UE2 to UE3, everyone's used to multicore platforms now.

I hated UE3 at the start of this generation... but it won me over and I'm Ok with it now.

Can't wait to see what could they do with UE4 ( Mirror's Edge 2 would look AMAZING :O ).

derFeef

Very nice, better development, better games.

Next Gen will not be as big of a jump imo, it will be in the details, resolutions, speed and easier development.

Elginer

Fuck yeah, bring on the Next Box now. I can't wait to see what Lionhead will be able to do with UE4 as rumor is they'll be using it next-gen. Do like.

D_prOdigy

someone pointed it out in the last thread but that gif looks like borderline CG. Look at the little armor piece on the guys left leg as it moves. No clipping at all.

I think this will be the flavour of UE4 discussion. People having to 'point out' how good it actually is. Perhaps we really are approaching the ceiling.

thuway

I have zero idea how next generation consoles are going to hit the GTX 680 power requirement. We are looking at half that power :(.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe so. It definitely doesn't look impressive though. It could just be that drab diablo-esque setting affecting me though.

I think they should have went with a human.

People seemed more impressed with the less proficient Samaritan demo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The streamlining stuff I've heard about UE4 sounds really promising. If it can really speed up dev time, be more streamlined, and pack in more little details instead of going for just amping up processing power it could be great for the industry.

BigTnaples

Doing nothing for you is one thing. Coming from "this gen" is laughable.

Look at the piece of "armor" hanging from his hips, his left hip specifically. Look at how it interacts with his leg as it moves. No clipping at all. It is absolutely pixel perfect.

Now go play Skyrim*. And tell me anything looks even remotley close to that. (*or any other current gen game)

Jonm1010

Banned
So heres my next question.

This is running on a gtx 680 card.

What will be needed for next gen consoles to meet this requirement give the advantages of a consoles closed architecture and the speculation on very high powered CPU's to compliment the graphics cards?

Top Bottom