• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Write a novel in November! | NaNoWriMo 2017

Timu

Ok, my novel will have more nudity in it than I originally thought it would, lol.

I'm going for a raunchy comedy, but wow.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
2 weeks to finish an outline and scene list. I might actually be able to do it this time.

Knock on wood

MilkBeard

Been editing my novel-in-progress, and got some ideas (finally) on the structure of Act II. Going to start fleshing it out now up until November. I've been working overtime to edit the current work during my time off from job, getting used to the process of spending the extra hours necessary to do this.

Bring on November.

Kimaka

I wish there was an online Scrivener or something equivalent. The only time that I'll have to work on my novel is during work and I can't install anything on those computers. I've been looking at Novlr which looks great, but the features aren't up to par with Scrivener yet.

javadoze

Today I tried expanding on my Fantasy story outline...

...I ended up throwing out 40% of it.

Thankfully, the new ideas flow much better than the old ones.

Jabronium

Today I tried expanding on my Fantasy story outline...

...I ended up throwing out 40% of it.

Thankfully, the new ideas flow much better than the old ones.

If I may commiserate... that's where I've been for the past 18 years. Feelsbadman. I've kept everything, it's nearing 2 million words now, but I just get so lost in going back and doing more world building that it makes what I'd already written obsolete. Rather than go back and try to edit it, I just start over, and then get distracted by a world building idea, and on the cycle goes.

NaNo last year at least forced me to sit down and just go. It was refreshing, and I hope to do a better job of keeping the momentum afterward.

Decided to write a rough draft of my first chapter and I was wondering on average how long a chapter should be? I'm almost half way done with my first chapter and I'm already at 4000 words.

Does it matter?Can a chapter be as long as it needs to be? Is there such a thing as a chapter being too long?

Timu

One great tactic for doing outlines is to say which chapter you will do then write the page numbers and list what happens in them to give you a better idea of what to write. Here's an example from my upcoming Awesome Sam novel for Nano.

Chapter 1-The Road to Being Awesome Begins

Act 1

1-600=Sam and Tiffany talk to each other while walking towards school about life

600-1200=Sam and Tiffany met Chuck, Ricky, Lisa, Phoebe, Phil and Shawn in the hallways and classes

1200-1800=Sam and her friends(Tiffany, Abigail, Carmen) meets Lindsey and her friends(Sandy, Yuki, Natasha) and they talked nasty towards each other

Note that I would have the page numbers and then tell what happens within them. It gives you an idea of what to write about within the page numbers so you can keep track of what to write and write about what the characters would do in those situations. This is something I should had done when I did novels from 2010 to 2016, guess there's always a first time for these things. This will probably make things a lot easier for me.

Decided to write a rough draft of my first chapter and I was wondering on average how long a chapter should be? I'm almost half way done with my first chapter and I'm already at 4000 words.

Does it matter?Can a chapter be as long as it needs to be? Is there such a thing as a chapter being too long?
There are books with no chapter breaks. There are ones with the book broken into acts but no other divisions. Anything can work. Worry about the details during editing.

Unless you're trying to write a thriller, I guess. Then short chapters are much more likely to work.

Timu

As for chapters, well, I would go as long as 10k words or so, that's just me though. And I tend to use acts as well.

Scirrocco

Well I'm trying again. Maybe third times the charm. I've got plenty of ideas to go back through, and hopefully i'll have the time since i've been furloughed for a while.

In my off time i've been working on a steampunky James bondish thing, but i think that was a little ambitious, so i'm going to try something simpler. I still like the idea though, and hope to get back to it sometime.

There are books with no chapter breaks. There are ones with the book broken into acts but no other divisions. Anything can work. Worry about the details during editing.

Unless you're trying to write a thriller, I guess. Then short chapters are much more likely to work.

Cool! Good to know! Thanks! :)

Shoeless

The simplest way to think of chapters are like scenes in a movie. If you're moving on to another period of time, with another location, another point of view, and another development in the plot, that's a pretty natural place to break your chapter and start a new one.

4000 words is still okay for a chapter, though really, you're right, chapters are as long as they need to be. Although if your chapters are averaging 20000 words each, and you've got 20 chapters, your book is probably too long for a first time novelist to be seriously considered for publication. If you're Stephen King, however, it's not an issue.

Cyan

Banned

No rough drafts yet! You're not supposed to start the actual writing until Nov 1. :)

No rough drafts yet! You're not supposed to start the actual writing until Nov 1. :)

*Sigh* Okay Mom... lol

Just wanted to see if my story would gel ya know. Make sure it was something I wanted to commit to. Ended up having a little too much fun and had to stop myself. I will probably end up rewriting it anyway.

Time to write more outlines and plan more characters! Excelsior!

My novel is called "The Mystery of the Hillcrest Manor". It's a homage to the 1920s-1930s Agatha Christie murder mysteries.

Here's my inside-cover synopsis:

An island. A manor. A storm.

A murder.

Everyone is a suspect.

Inspectors James Collington and his partner Edward Martin, both of Scotland Yard, are dispatched to oversee the reading of a wealthy businessman's will, having been warned of the high possibility of foul play. Arriving on a private island off the coast of England, where the reading will take place at the family manor, they find each attendee hoping for a substantial share of the dead man’s estate and each holding a secret. With a murder on his hands, and trapped by a storm on the small island with all the suspects, James must uncover the secrets of the family members, and the manor and island itself, in order to get to the bottom of the mystery and find the culprit.

One only hopes he can manage it before the storm ends.

What do you guys think? Any tips for improving it?

Delio

One great tactic for doing outlines is to say which chapter you will do then write the page numbers and list what happens in them to give you a better idea of what to write. Here's an example from my upcoming Awesome Sam novel for Nano.

Chapter 1-The Road to Being Awesome Begins

Act 1

1-600=Sam and Tiffany talk to each other while walking towards school about life

600-1200=Sam and Tiffany met Chuck, Ricky, Lisa, Phoebe, Phil and Shawn in the hallways and classes

1200-1800=Sam and her friends(Tiffany, Abigail, Carmen) meets Lindsey and her friends(Sandy, Yuki, Natasha) and they talked nasty towards each other

Note that I would have the page numbers and then tell what happens within them. It gives you an idea of what to write about within the page numbers so you can keep track of what to write and write about what the characters would do in those situations. This is something I should had done when I did novels from 2010 to 2016, guess there's always a first time for these things. This will probably make things a lot easier for me.

This is an excellent idea. I'm going to do this.

Timu

This is an excellent idea. I'm going to do this.
Yeah, thanks, it should definitely help since you know exactly what to write about in the given pages, it gives you an idea that you can work with from there.

Also, everything I said about what I wrote in that does actually happen in novel.=p

Delio

So im bouncing between The Apex Project and Project Apex as a name for my novel. The genre im settling in is a Sci Fi Thriller/Horror. It's very much a revenge plot as well as a Hero origin. So i'm excited to see how it goes. I got the first few chapters plotted out so far.

So im bouncing between The Apex Project and Project Apex as a name for my novel. The genre im settling in is a Sci Fi Thriller/Horror. It's very much a revenge plot as well as a Hero origin. So i'm excited to see how it goes. I got the first few chapters plotted out so far.

Out of those 2 I'd go with The Apex Project

Been wanting to do this for a few years, but university has meant that I wasn't able to commit to such a mammoth undertaking. Count me in for this year - not a clue yet what to write about, but two weeks is enough time for that - right?

Sch1sm

Been wanting to do this for a few years, but university has meant that I wasn't able to commit to such a mammoth undertaking. Count me in for this year - not a clue yet what to write about, but two weeks is enough time for that - right?

Start planning and outlining, bud. You got this!

Alucard

Banned
Fuck it. I'm in. Gonna start on an outline this week and hope I can get everything prepped in two weeks.

50,000 words in a month sounds kind of nuts, but I'll give it a go.

Burbeting

Banned
Any other finnish people than me doing nano this year? I'm going to write in finnish, which will mean getting potential beta-reading/Writing help will be a hassle.

Cyan

Banned
Ok, I think I'm finally recovered from The Worst Work Week. Time to actually do some planning and plotting for my novel! And maybe post a bit more in this thread, since I kind of bailed for a few days there.

I think I'm going to bring back the world I used last year--political landscape vaguely based on ancient Greek history (i.e. city-states), magic and low-tech, etc. The story last year was a sort of martial arts tournament between the three major cities, with a bunch of small teams from each one, and of course the MC was on the misfit underdog team etc etc. Anyway, no idea what the story will be this time around--not a sequel, I want to use different characters from a different city. Though... I like the city I used last time, maybe they can travel there?

Agh, no idea!

Jabronium

Ok, I think I'm finally recovered from The Worst Work Week. Time to actually do some planning and plotting for my novel! And maybe post a bit more in this thread, since I kind of bailed for a few days there.

I think I'm going to bring back the world I used last year--political landscape vaguely based on ancient Greek history (i.e. city-states), magic and low-tech, etc. The story last year was a sort of martial arts tournament between the three major cities, with a bunch of small teams from each one, and of course the MC was on the misfit underdog team etc etc. Anyway, no idea what the story will be this time around--not a sequel, I want to use different characters from a different city. Though... I like the city I used last time, maybe they can travel there?

Agh, no idea!

Personally a fan of seeing a familiar setting or event through a different point of view or seeing what another character was up to during a specific event. The A/B system in Resident Evil 2 is still one of my favorite features in a game all these years later. Seeing how a different set of characters react to and interpret things in the same city, even if it's a different time period, could be a nice exercise.

Timu

Ok, here's the synopsis for Awesome Sam:

Awesome Sam is a adult raunchy comedy about a redhead named Samantha Williams who had a troublesome past and is trying to make up for it by trying to be awesome, help out people and her friends in need and change herself as a better person to overcome things in her life. However, along with her friends and others going through drastic changes that will affect everyone around them, Sam has a new enemy called Stuck Up Lindsey who is a stuck up bitch and will attack Sam at every turn to make her life miserable and in order to make Sam feel worthless as a person. With so much to do for her life and friends and to go up against the meanest girl she has ever met along with her friends, Samantha will have a lot to deal with to be able to get where she needs to be.

This novel will be my 1st female focused novel, 1st adult only novel, 1st raunchy comedy and 1st new IP I made in over 10 years! The last new IP I made was back in 2002!

I might go into details with characters later on...and there's a lot of them!

Cyan

Banned
Ok, here's the synopsis for Awesome Sam:

Awesome Sam is a adult raunchy comedy about a redhead named Samantha Williams who had a troublesome past and is trying to make up for it by trying to be awesome, help out people and her friends in need and change herself as a better person to overcome things in her life. However, along with her friends and others going through drastic changes that will affect everyone around them, Sam has a new enemy called Stuck Up Lindsey who is a stuck up bitch and will attack Sam at every turn to make her life miserable and in order to make Sam feel worthless as a person. With so much to do for her life and friends and to go up against the meanest girl she has ever met along with her friends, Samantha will have a lot to deal with to be able to get where she needs to be.

This novel will be my 1st female focused novel, 1st adult only novel, 1st raunchy comedy and 1st new IP I made in over 10 years! The last new IP I made was back in 2002!

I might go into details with characters later on...and there's a lot of them!

Haha, love the character names. :p

Personally a fan of seeing a familiar setting or event through a different point of view or seeing what another character was up to during a specific event. The A/B system in Resident Evil 2 is still one of my favorite features in a game all these years later. Seeing how a different set of characters react to and interpret things in the same city, even if it's a different time period, could be a nice exercise.

Thanks, this wasn't actually what I meant but ended up being really helpful! I now have an extremely vague plot outline!

I'm torn between novelizing my current D&D campaign idea, or setting it a few thousand years prior to build my world's backstory. Regardless, it's a swords and sorcery type fantasy world.

Current campaign is my heroes will be framed for the assassination of the Goddess during her main festival by the High Priest, who's an impostor and leader of a cult trying to revive her evil twin, who was slain a few thousand years back, and has fallen out of remembrance. Ultimately my heroes will be duped, once again, into resurrecting her. By the end of the campaign, I want my characters to be incredibly cynical and untrusting by the end, because the next campaign in my arc will allow them to defect to the evil goddess if they so choose.

Or I can write the original story of her reign of evil, and her ultimate downfall. I don't know which I'd find more appealing to write. Obviously the first is more fleshed out, but...

Edit: After some thinking, I'm sticking with my first idea. I've figured out the basis of my prologue and epilogue, and also what I want the final sentence of the final chapter to be.

I'm in, GAF! I've been working on another story on the side since September but I feel like this will be a great way to pressure me to get some more writing done. I gotta think up an entirely new idea now.

I'm not sure I'll be able to achieve 50k this year due to work being a lot busier, but I'll try!I have a few projects started and this will be a chance to make some headway, though I'm not sure if I should just concentrate on one or write a bit for two or 3 different projects...

Well I've had an idea for a novel for some time now, just never got around to planning out the actual story; gonna give this a go and aim to finish it in one go. Not sure it can fit into 50k words but I'll see what comes out by December 1st!

Its actually pretty interesting going back to reread what I wrote last year. \

Actually surprised at how I dont need to edit it or anything beyond random minor typos and a few weird commas. Now to throw it up on AO3 for no one to read.

Still working on a title, but I'm doing a sort of lovecraft style horror mixed with pulp adventure in a fantasy world that has gone dieselpunk (I'm a little bored with traditional medieval fantasy settings). Lots of influence from Eternal Darkness, Sunless Sea, Lovecraft, Sherlock Holmes, and the Ravenloft DnD setting.

Not really, though reading the synopsis, there are similarities.

It's mainly based on a bunch of Agatha Christie murder mysteries, taking elements from each one. The trapped on an island by a storm with a murderer is a part of "And Then There Were None" and there's some stuff similar to "Murder on the Orient Express" too.

MLCodest

Trying again and going to be more active.. Easy semester at school should give me plenty of time to work this time around.

javadoze

Current outline status:

-Taking a hammer to my more ambitious scenarios (length-wise) and replacing them with smaller ones. The temptation for big, sweeping arcs is real, but I realize my writing style called for something more episodic in nature.

-It's not just a Fantasy novel anymore. It's Fantasy/Comedy. I'm now changing up the characters to account for this. Oddly enough, it feels like there's more freedom to planning it now than before.

Timu

Current outline status:

-Taking a hammer to my more ambitious scenarios (length-wise) and replacing them with smaller ones. The temptation for big, sweeping arcs is real, but I realize my writing style called for something more episodic in nature.

-It's not just a Fantasy novel anymore. It's Fantasy/Comedy. I'm now changing up the characters to account for this. Oddly enough, it feels like there's more freedom to planning it now than before.
That sounds nice, hope you do well with it!

I'm in. I've been reworking some concepts on a novel that I've been meaning to work on and this seems like the perfect chance (seriously, I have a 10 page outline, compendium, etc I've just not had the drive/want the last year to start putting it all together). Any penalty to get a head start as long as you still do the total writing amount in the month? As in, I still plan to do the total amount of words per the month, but maybe start the first chapter or so.

zulux21

I'm in. I've been reworking some concepts on a novel that I've been meaning to work on and this seems like the perfect chance (seriously, I have a 10 page outline, compendium, etc I've just not had the drive/want the last year to start putting it all together). Any penalty to get a head start as long as you still do the total writing amount in the month? As in, I still plan to do the total amount of words per the month, but maybe start the first chapter or so.

it depends on what set of rules you go by but in general.

you just need to write 50k words in the month of nov.

it's not like the goal is to have hard enforced rules so that the winners can stand around and mock the losers.

it's merely to push yourself to write more.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Finally progress at breaking things down. Got 17 scenes mapped out. Goal is to outline the rest by the end of the week and mull it all over when I'm in London and Limerick for work the week before nano.

Top Bottom