• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how either of these recent XB1 OS videos prove anything Mortimer said was wrong. I know some of you REALLY want him to be wrong, and so do I, because I'm getting an XB1 Nov 22nd.

If I hear some software is buggy and glitchy, in what universe does a 90 second video without a bug or glitch visible prove no bugs or glitches exist?

Rhindle

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how either of these recent XB1 OS videos prove anything Mortimer said was wrong. I know some of you REALLY want him to be wrong, and so do I, because I'm getting an XB1 Nov 22nd.

If I hear some software is buggy and glitchy, in what universe does a 90 second video without a bug or glitch visible prove no bugs or glitches exist?
Well, there's a bit of a gap between "some bugs and glitches" and the OS being "a complete fucking mess" and "clusterfuck city." I believe those were the quotes.

Also I seem to recall claims that snap was broken and would not make it into the OS for launch.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Tom Warren managed to record a short video with snapping apps to games and vice versa. Looks pretty good to me - stays fluid while loading BF4 and during game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHtrSV3yEA

edit:
Another video with Killer Instinct and actual IE running on the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIr5HUEP0c

s8PvS6o.png

I'm glad to see it working. A little bit of hitching there, but I'd expect that. None of this actually working all the way yet, but good enough demo that you can assume it's all good.

Interesting that the XB1 is farther out, but videos like this are "leaking" whereas I haven't seen any leaked PS4 vids? I think MS is ok with people making these "leaks." A good way for MS to legitimately fight against some of the negative talk and press coming out against the XB1 right now. Think about it...what better strategy would there be than to allow this sort of thing?

killatopak

I'm glad to see it working. A little bit of hitching there, but I'd expect that. None of this actually working all the way yet, but good enough demo that you can assume it's all good.

Interesting that the XB1 is farther out, but videos like this are "leaking" whereas I haven't seen any leaked PS4 vids? I think MS is ok with people making these "leaks." A good way for MS to legitimately fight against some of the negative talk and press coming out against the XB1 right now. Think about it...what better strategy would there be than to allow this sort of thing?

The good thing about Sony is that they don't leak, they show the features. And if they don't show it, it means its not coming at launch hence they also announce which features are coming at launch and which are not.

E92 M3

I don't see the point of attacking insiders - if they are wrong a few times...who cares? Even a 90% accuracy rate is amazing and I'll take that over PR crap any day. Creating a toxic environment that disallows any margin of error is not doing this community any favors. FM, Thuway, and CBOAT are all good people that contribute in a positive manner, there is no need to cause any adversity. So there was some miscommunication on Twitter and FM said it's not what he meant. Done deal.

Lets get along fellas, we're all supposed to be logical and respectful gents, right?

i also really like the idea of snapping the achievment list/video to the side.
also, if the achievments are more detailed, such as % progress on individual achievments, it would be even better. <3

The good thing about Sony is that they don't leak, they show the features. And if they don't show it, it means its not coming at launch hence they also announce which features are coming at launch and which are not.

Good point... We aren't seeing he ps4 UI as it doesn't have any features worth showing.
Can't imagine someone leaking how to connect to wifi, check your storage or something like that :p

Dragon

Banned
Good point... We aren't seeing he ps4 UI as it doesn't have any features worth showing.
Can't imagine someone leaking how to connect to wifi, check your storage or something like that :p

Sony already showed their OS at Gamescom. But yeah you know good post and all :)

Sony already showed their OS at Gamescom. But yeah you know good post and all :)

sorry, but what they showed wasn't much. It was cool and all, but only a tiny fraction of what I presume will be there at launch. As far as I'm concerned, neither OS has been shown adequately so far. Not to say that they both won't work great at launch, but by now we should be seeing more.

sorry, but what they showed wasn't much. It was cool and all, but only a tiny fraction of what I presume will be there at launch. As far as I'm concerned, neither OS has been shown adequately so far. Not to say that they both won't work great at launch, but by now we should be seeing more.

THIS

Again, I think mortimer is getting pilloried for no good reason but at the same time, I would think people would be more concerned with Sony. Sony launches one week before and as much as MS is getting hammered, we STILL have had way more "leaks" about the UI in the wild. Even if the wild is with MS reps right beind the person we're seeing actual people use the damn thing. I agree with the previous poster that it still not enough but MS has 3 weeks still.

That's funny considering suspend resume is one of the first features they advertised and its not coming at launch.

Really excited to see more of the Xbox UI. Can't wait to mess around with it. Looks great.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't feel like they really did. I still have almost no understanding of what everything looks and runs like on that system. I keep waiting for dedicated videos like this but haven't noticed any yet.

For all the shit I give MS I do at least like a lot of their OS ideas and using Kinect for that, and I like how it's all laid out compared to the XMB. I just don't like that it uses so much system resources, but I guess it's the price you pay for having all of that stuff.

statham

If anything I'm not worried about XB1 OS, maybe troubling in the beginning, but we aren't buying these systems for launch OS or launch games. XB1 has better launch games...:)

killatopak

That's funny considering suspend resume is one of the first features they advertised and its not coming at launch.

Really excited to see more of the Xbox UI. Can't wait to mess around with it. Looks great.

That's why I said they'll announce it if it ain't coming at launch right?

If anything I'm not worried about XB1 OS, maybe troubling in the beginning, but we aren't buying these systems for launch OS or launch games. XB1 has better launch games...:)

What? You said we don't buy the system for launch games then you say XB1 has better launch games. Very weird.

looks nice. hopefully some real xbone news that is actually negative appears soon, because these threads are getting pathetic. trying too hard. no wonder the youtube comments get these reactions.

I don't feel like they really did. I still have almost no understanding of what everything looks and runs like on that system. I keep waiting for dedicated videos like this but haven't noticed any yet.

I agree, while Sony had shown a vertical slice of what their OS are capable of, there's still a number of frills that's missing.

With that being said, I'm not too fundamentally worried, given that their review event is a week away, where I assume is where they'll lock down at least 1.5 beta for the reviewers to play around with.

If the OS is still inaccessible there, and reviewers are restricted to only reviewing games, then I'd be very, very worried.

Dragon

Banned

I don't disagree. I was just contradicting his snarky post.

Looks like it works fine. Little hitching, but that's to be expected.

Love the font, hate the squares.

You know, this is what's hurting Microsoft right now as a company. I hate to go on a rant here, but think back to the last 20 years of MS OS design and the thing that always made it cool was how you could customize it, skin it, mod it, custom themes, etc. You could really make it your own. Have the icons wherever the fuck you want. It's your desktop!

Then Apple happened. The rigidity and simplicity in design that was the iPhone and the iPad, and the bucket loads of money they have generated with that approach has really affected Microsoft and now has them trying to be a lot more like apple with their closed ecosystem and more rigid approach.

If MS wants to win back the hearts and minds, they need to let go of the need to control the end user look & feel and get back to letting the customer choose whatever the hell they want. Live tiles look cool. But if I want to create a damn Minecraft castle of icons, then let me. If I want each of them to be a different color, let me do it. If I want a few of them to be circles, let me do that too.

Bring back the customization MS! Don't try to be like Apple.

well, it's not like MS is leaking on purpose. There was a leak or two of the Sony UI, but it was pretty minimal. so either sony has some iron clad NDA, or there just isn't anything to leak right now. that in and of itself seems a bit scary. but who knows...

yea i believe tv can be snaped.

yep, and that to me is cool considering I am sometimes in my game waiting for something boring to happen (i.e. non-skippable cutscene/video I've seen before, waiting in MP lobby for people to ready up, loading screen, etc...) maybe I have ADD, or maybe I just want to maximize my "gaming" time =]

I'd love if they forget about accesory things as allowing watching youtube videos meanwhile you are playing (and change it for a simple swap applications) or forced all-time 15 min recording (changing it for a simple record when you press the record button), if that give us a less costly OS and more RAM for games.

coldfoot

Banned
You don't read my post before you responded with your canned answers. I'm too stubborn to let it go.

#1 was fitness+TV, not fitness+gaming

#2 both ways work but as an achievement whore, it would be nice to have it up on the TV instead of having to control two devices and look at two places. Once the video is up, it's much easier to mimic the actions if both sources are on the same screen.

#3 what the fuck does Vita have to do with Xbox One? You're just trying to instigate a console war. Both Vita+TV and snap+TV accomplish the same thing, but only one is possible on each system. There is an advantage to seeing both at once, though. Your eyes can't focus on Vita+TV at the same time.

First of all, watch it with that tone, it's just a console, relax.
Second, the entire reason of all my posts is that concentrating on watching two entirely different things on the same screen is not something the general public can or willing to do. This is why we don't have this:

ZYgBfvt.png

and PiP functions on TV's and set top boxes have all but gone away. Fact is, most people can't really focus on two different unrelated things at the same time on the same screen, so putting them on different screens is no big deal.

Dukey

Banned
First of all, watch it with that tone, it's just a console, relax.
Second, the entire reason of all my posts is that concentrating on watching two entirely different things on the same screen is not something the general public can or willing to do. This is why we don't have this:

ZYgBfvt.png

and PiP functions on TV's and set top boxes have all but gone away. Fact is, most people can't really focus on two different unrelated things at the same time on the same screen, so putting them on different screens is no big deal.

Yeah, because the "general public" never does two things at the same time. We have a thread full of people saying they'll never use this feature but they'll play a game while using their tablet. Your point isn't just wrong, it's ignorant to reality.

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah, because the "general public" never does two things at the same time. We have a thread full of people saying they'll never use this feature but they'll play a game while using their tablet. Your point isn't just wrong, it's ignorant to reality.
Way to twist my point. Doing two things at the same time is not the same thing as paying attention to two things at the same time.

Dukey

Banned
Way to twist my point. Doing two things at the same time is not the same thing as paying attention to two things at the same time.

I run multiple windows on my computer all the time. As I assume millions of people do. We manage it quite well. Some of us use 2-3 monitors at the same time with multiple programs/apps running in each one.

I run multiple windows on my computer all the time. As I assume millions of people do. We manage it quite well. Some of us use 2-3 monitors at the same time with multiple programs/apps running in each one.

I understand browsing meanwhile you are watching a movie. But you play a PC game (playing, not waiting for someone to connect) meanwhile you browse or watch a movie?

I'm ok with app snapping, if it's out of the games, leaving all the RAM available for them.

From FM: Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

Be weird if that turns out true.

But you play a PC game (playing, not waiting for someone to connect) meanwhile you browse or watch a movie?

Uh, yes? Maybe i want to have a faq/youtube on the screen at the same time I'm playing a game? I would love to have move/combo lists up for fighting games while I'm in training mode. Maybe I want football running on the screen while i'm paying most of my attention to the game itself or to keep me occupied while waiting in online lobbies? I'm sure Netflix and all other kinds of other apps will be compelling with the snap feature also.

I'm not sure why people are so dense about this. Is it that the PS4 doesn't do it so we just have to downplay anything positive about the Xbone?

Thorgi

Uh, yes? Maybe i want to have a faq/youtube on the screen at the same time I'm playing a game? I would love to have move/combo lists up for fighting games while I'm in training mode. Maybe I want football running on the screen while i'm paying most of my attention to the game itself or to keep me occupied while waiting in online lobbies? I'm sure Netflix and all other kinds of other apps will be compelling with the snap feature also.

I'm not sure why people are so dense about this. Is it that the PS4 doesn't do it so we just have to downplay anything positive about the Xbone?
Might just be my personal taste, but I can't stand the thought of giving up screen real estate for something like a website or stat-tracking. If I want to look something up, I'll use an iPad, or a phone, or the other devices nearby. But I would never ever purposefully make the screen SMALLER. Especially when using it with other people. If you, say, made the screen smaller during a movie to look up stats of an actor, and there are others watching, it would be discourteous to that other viewer.

If you really do find something like this useful, then more power to you! Personally, I would find it to be an unnecessary distraction, especially during a film. I don't want to miss a second of anything on screen, and that includes glancing to the left/right to read information that is useless to the current movie.

Different stroke for different folks.

For me, I can understand where he's coming from. When gaming, I I want 100% immersion, so I don't think I'll ever use snap-mode at all while gaming. When looking through all the scenarios where I would use snap while gaming, it's probably if I'm grinding through a JRPG where all I want to do is press one button to grind for EXP or items.

Definitely a lot of people would enjoy using snap with gaming, as there are different use cases for walkthroughs, FAQs, etc. But if given the option, I would had rather it be disable in-game with the 10% GPU returned to developers to maximize its graphical performance.

Besides, he thought it'd be great for TV and other stuff, which I agree. Watching TV + twitter feed of a popular TV show would be a good use case of this feature.

jedimike

Might just be my personal taste, but I can't stand the thought of giving up screen real estate for something like a website or stat-tracking. If I want to look something up, I'll use an iPad, or a phone, or the other devices nearby. But I would never ever purposefully make the screen SMALLER. Especially when using it with other people. If you, say, made the screen smaller during a movie to look up stats of an actor, and there are others watching, it would be discourteous to that other viewer.

If you really do find something like this useful, then more power to you! Personally, I would find it to be an unnecessary distraction, especially during a film. I don't want to miss a second of anything on screen, and that includes glancing to the left/right to read information that is useless to the current movie.

I was playing my 360 tonight and would have loved to have snap. I was playing Magic 2014 and couldn't get past the last challenge so I did exactly what people are saying... I pulled out the Nexus 7 and found the guide. It was a long challenge and quite detailed and the tablet ended up timing out a half-dozen times.

Snapping the guide on the screen would have been SO much easier.

But mostly I plan on using snap for watching TV and playing casual games and also for gaming and skyping with friends & family.

GlassCity

Banned
The snap feature looks really fast and I can see a lot of opportunities where this would be useful for me during downtime in between games, or if you just want to take a break, look something up, watch TV ect.

The Ui is the only thing Microsoft has on the PS4 imo at this point. It's weird that they aren't touting it at every chance possible because it really is a HUGE step up from what the PS4 is offering UI wise. They are showing us that games aren't the only thing consoles can do in this day and age and I applaud them for that. They're basically saying ...We can play "arguably" the the same games but offer MORE than just games with stuff like the snap feature, HDMI in, Kinect ect.

BUT...

Are these features worth playing most mulitplatform games at a lower resolution ? That's the question I keep asking myself.... All we have to go on right now is the Battlefield 4 footage and it looks close, but it's clear that the PS4 has the advantage in the graphics department. Sometimes I wish the PS4 was was 499 and the X1 was 399, it would make me more comfortable with my purchase tbh.

I'm really starting to see how their "Not just games" approach could work in their favor in the long run. They HAVE to get that price down though...

Barzul

I understand browsing meanwhile you are watching a movie. But you play a PC game (playing, not waiting for someone to connect) meanwhile you browse or watch a movie?

I'm ok with app snapping, if it's out of the games, leaving all the RAM available for them.

I've actually played Diablo 3 while watching Netflix it's not as complicated as it sounds.

Gowans

Looks great, love the fact that youtube video and audio plays and is mixed with the game audio.

Dont Think he new about the double Le tap of the guide button to quickly snap app switch tho.

GlassCity

Banned
I honestly think that Microsoft has problems to keep pace with the times.

This is puzzling to me because they are the ones trying to innovate here. At the end of the day, yes the PS4 is more powerful, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It just plays games, not that that's a bad thing, but at least Microsoft is trying to advance what consoles can do.

They are the one's who brought a truly interactive dashboard to consoles with things like party chat, friends lists etc.

Love em or hate em, they are the one's who furthered the console enviroment as we know it.

KingFire

Banned
This is puzzling to me because they are the ones trying to innovate here. At the end of the day, yes the PS4 is more powerful, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It just plays games, not that that's a bad thing, but at least Microsoft is trying to advance what consoles can do.

They are the one's who brought a truly interactive dashboard to consoles with things like party chat, friends lists etc.

Love em or hate em, they are the one's who furthered the console enviroment as we know it.

Every game company did innovate at some point. Nintendo is well known for taking risks on that end.

Surely this OS stuff is blowing away the PS4's OS, but the real question is, will consumers want to use snap? when I game, I usually just game. I don't want to browse the internet or watch youtube. I see that it can be useful during waiting to respwan in multiplayer, but other than that, I can't see the appeal of this.

I could be wrong though. MS is not targeting the likes of me with this innovative feature.

Dukey

Banned

On PC sure. I do that with WoW. Games with downtime are perfect for multi-tasking.

Top Bottom