• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Mario Kart 64 definitly has improved framerate. On Donkey Kongs Jungle course, the N64 version used to have several spots where it would slow down big time. That is now fixed.

Sp3eD said:
Mario Kart 64 definitly has improved framerate. On Donkey Kongs Jungle course, the N64 version used to have several spots where it would slow down big time. That is now fixed.

Ah yes that would be a spot that has it, now I remember. As you go over the ship it stutters....well glad nintendo did something. I still want online for it.

Why oh why is the sound compressed?
Why has nobody reported the non-functioning Controller Pak?
You overseas players suck at reporting, seriously =(

Bartman3010 said:
Why oh why is the sound compressed?
Why has nobody reported the non-functioning Controller Pak?
You overseas players suck at reporting, seriously =(

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if you read the Euro VC thread you'll see plenty of complaints about the lack of Memory Pak support, and IIRC there may even have been a mention of the sound quality. You US players suck at reading other VC threads, seriously...

;-)

Cosmonaut X said:
It seems to have been locked at whatever the max framerate was in the original - that is, if the original ran at a max of 30fps but chugged up and down between 15 and 30fps, the VC version remains locked at 30 throughout. I believe this applies to multi as well, with a few reports confirming that splitscreen multi is running nice & smooth in MK64 VC.

If MK64 and Mario 64 are any indication of how Nintendo will be treating their N64 releases, I'd probably be quite happy to rebuy every one of my N64 games on the VC - Wave Race 64, Starfox 64, Excitebike 64, Pilotwings 64... great games that can only benefit from the treatment N64 titles are getting on the VC.

Sp3eD said:

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Definitely downloading it then.

I also noticed a good thing from the Contra ROM. The flashing colours used for detonating a bomb, the white flash has been removed, hence making it much more pleasing to the eye. Hard to describe, but instead of flashing red/yellow/white rapidly, it's now flashing from red to yellow and much more slowly.

bengraven

Any other impressions of Mario Kart 64? Did they sharpen the textures or is it still muddy? Did they fix/change anything? And it's locked at 30fps? that's good news in itself.

Come on peeps. Screens if possible and if they cleared things up. God, I love this game.

Az987

all good things
Quick, which should I buy ? R-Type III or Contra III... I already own R-Type, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade and Gradius so im thinking Contra but still, what do u guys think ??

Zerodoppler said:
In Contra (and most other SNES games) you jump with B and shoot with Y. Take a good look at the gamecube controller and tell me it looks playable that way.

Its the same as megaman anniversary. I actually ended up just using tow figures to play it (thumb on B and the side of my forefinger on Y, it actually gave me an edge on the game).

MK64 looks nice, don't know if it's just the my component cables or just Nintendo making it nicer. Can't wait to sit down with couple of buds and play this, could replace Bomberman and Wii sports.

Also Contra is ****ing sick, just like I remembered it.

Also can anyone give me a short impression on CZ? Never played it, on the fence about it.

MadFuzzy

Cosmonaut X said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that if you read the Euro VC thread you'll see plenty of complaints about the lack of Memory Pak support, and IIRC there may even have been a mention of the sound quality. You US players suck at reading other VC threads, seriously...

;-)

It's not like the controller pak thing was mentioned half an hour after it went up in Europe on Thursday night or anything. Oh.

excuse me but MK64 on VC sounds much worse than the N64 version. i was just playing MK64 on N64 to warm up for when i got the VC version and when i finally downloaded and booted the VC version, the bad sounds zapped half of my hype. Mario 64 didn't suffer from this.

Bloodwake

Christopher said:
Guys what came out today? I'm not rummaging through THIS IS AWESOME OMG LOL

I'll love anyone forever who tells.

The games that were supposed to come out last week but didn't, Mario Kart 64, and CONTRA MOTHER****ING III

BuddyC

Christopher said:
Guys what came out today? I'm not rummaging through THIS IS AWESOME OMG LOL

I'll love anyone forever who tells.
Mario Kart 64, Bonanza Bros, Comix Zone, Contra III: The Alien Wars

Gain Ground is still MIA. Silly Sega.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Started fiddling with my VC downloads for the first time today:

1) Holy hell, I had forgotten how hideous Super Castlevania IV was. But oh that music... :)

2) Looks like Legend of Zelda NES uses the revamped translation from the NES Classics GBA release, no? Also, it has the Up + Select save menu access. Was that in the original NES game? I thought dying was the only way to bring up the save menu.

3) Looks like Link to the Past uses the SNES script, not the revamped GBA script. Pity. I suppose that all of the GBA extras (new dungeon, new side quest, new sword skill, green magic stones, Link voices and grunts, tweaked graphics, and revamped inventory) are all out too, huh?

4) I had forgotten how cruddy Military Madness' interface was.

5) I had forgotten how insane the action in Gunstar Heroes was!

I <3 VC :)

Boy, that NOE sure has got a sense of humor. Look at what was posted on the VC server under the Mega Drive:

FFFD0002.gif

Jiggy

Branduil said:
Wow, the rubber-banding in MK 64 is horrific.
Indeed, that and the fact that I still own it are what keep me from getting it on VC. You know it's bad when the computer can actually almost catch up to you even if you pull off (one time) the shortcut in Wario Stadium that skips like a third of the level.

colinp

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Boy, that NOE sure has got a sense of humor. Look at what was posted on the VC server under the Mega Drive:

FFFD0002.gif

Told ya it was BS that SMW would be released today :)

I guess we can always hope for next week

mrkgoo

Mejilan said:
3) Looks like Link to the Past uses the SNES script, not the revamped GBA script. Pity. I suppose that all of the GBA extras (new dungeon, new side quest, new sword skill, green magic stones, Link voices and grunts, tweaked graphics, and revamped inventory) are all out too, huh?

whatdog.

Explain yourself. I don't remember such vast changes. All I really remember is the new voices, and a few little tweaks, like Zelda is no longer your...

Dear Nintendo,

Please phone 1998 and get instructions on how to set up a proper download server. It should not take me seven attempts and over an hour to download Contra III on high-speed cable. Maybe ask Sony and Microsoft how they pull off this minor miracle? Or check with the people that make your company webpage? Thanks in advance.

Your loving friend and Underground Sugar Cave Administrator,
Segata Sanshiro.

P.S. It just ****ing dropped mid-download again. Please enjoy the enclosed cyanide tablet. No need to chew. Your stomach acid will do the heavy lifting.

Mejilan

mrkgoo said:
whatdog.

Explain yourself. I don't remember such vast changes. All I really remember is the new voices, and a few little tweaks, like Zelda is no longer your...

GBA version of LttP has loads of new content, though some of it was tied to your progress in/completion of Four Swords. You remember how the save files for each mode were actually linked and cross-compatible?

Changes that I can recall:
- Tweaked translation: Fixed the sister/destiny/fate misconception, wise men -> sage (OoT, style)
- Green magic rocks randomly sprung up in the overworld (smashing them would cause rupees, ammo, and other goodies to pop out, if you were fast enough)
- Link was granted N64-style voices, screams, yells, grunts, etc.
- New late-game dungeon added: Palace of the Four Swords (had to have completed Four Swords via multiplayer)
- Logger's/Riddle Quest: Needed to acquire the 10 medals in Four Swords to unlock, IIRC. Completing this new quest added a new sword skill. WW-style sustained spin slash attack.
- Reordered the inventory, allowing you easier access to the four bottles.
- Flute got renamed to Ocarina, OoT-style.
- Acquiring the flute no longer overwrote the shovel. You could keep both.
- Could dig in 4 directions with shovel now, not just 2.
- Could shatter pots and whatnot with properly upgraded swords. (Faster than lifting/tossing 'em)
- A difficult Ice Palace (I think?) puzzle was made easier by making it optional (lolz?)
- Removed access to the Chris Houlihan room
- Minor musical changes here and there, IIRC.

I can't help but think that I'm missing some.

Drensch

Please phone 1998 and get instructions on how to set up a proper download server. It should not take me seven attempts and over an hour to download Contra III on high-speed cable. Maybe ask Sony and Microsoft how they pull off this minor miracle? Or check with the people that make your company webpage? Thanks in advance.

I bet it's you and not nintendo. Try putting your router on ch 11.

mrkgoo

Mejilan said:
GBA version of LttP has loads of new content, though some of it was tied to your progress in/completion of Four Swords. You remember how the save files for each mode were actually linked and cross-compatible?

Changes that I can recall:
- Tweaked translation: Fixed the sister/destiny/fate misconception, wise men -> sage (OoT, style)
- Green magic rocks randomly sprung up in the overworld (smashing them would cause rupees, ammo, and other goodies to pop out, if you were fast enough)
- Link was granted N64-style voices, screams, yells, grunts, etc.
- New late-game dungeon added: Palace of the Four Swords (had to have completed Four Swords via multiplayer)
- Logger's/Riddle Quest: Needed to acquire the 10 medals in Four Swords to unlock, IIRC. Completing this new quest added a new sword skill. WW-style sustained spin slash attack.
- Reordered the inventory, allowing you easier access to the four bottles.
- Flute got renamed to Ocarina, OoT-style.
- Acquiring the flute no longer overwrote the shovel. You could keep both.
- Could dig in 4 directions with shovel now, not just 2.
- Could shatter pots and whatnot with properly upgraded swords. (Faster than lifting/tossing 'em)
- A difficult Ice Palace (I think?) puzzle was made easier by making it optional (lolz?)
- Removed access to the Chris Houlihan room
- Minor musical changes here and there, IIRC.

I can't help but think that I'm missing some.

Thanksdog.

Yeah, I had a brief go at fourswords...but I didn't have many friends with GBAs, and my sister would rarely get the same games as me. Multicart multiplayer is the lamest. I never finished four swords, though.

So yeah, some of that stuff is inaccessible at the moment.

So most of the changes are for the better. What do you know about GBA resolution vs. Snes resolution? Obviously the aspect ratio is different, but what did this mean? Did we get cut off top/bottom or extra sides in GBA version? Did they redraw the graphics, or are the sprites 1:1 translations?

Mejilan

Ahh, I think the graphics were a 1:1 adaptation with a smaller viewing distance. That's the common way to go. I definitely preferred the GBA release, but I'm very irked that even to this day, with cheat devices, there seems to be no way to access the new content. I'm not likely to find anyone who wants to complete FS with me. :(

Sigh, finally got Contra. Now if it will connect to the store again, I'll get Mario Kart. It shouldn't be this hard to give money to them. Oh wait, they've already got the money.

2DMention

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sigh, finally got Contra. Now if it will connect to the store again, I'll get Mario Kart. It shouldn't be this hard to give money to them. Oh wait, they've already got the money.

I'm sure it didn't crash when you put in your wiipoints card or credit card #. :D

Pud

Banned
Branduil said:
So do you guys really think MK 64 is better than Double Dash?

The GP race mode? That's debatable... (though, the ice stage with the penguins looks surprisingly 'next gen' (as in DC/PS2 era) when it's upscaled to 480p on the Wii w/component cables - reflective ice ftw!). The battle mode? Yeah, the stages in battle mode were a step backward in the GC game, IMO.

This service is so friggin' dangerous since it's so easy to make impulse purchases. It reminds me of itunes where I'd be like "yeah a song here, a song there. What the hell they're only .99 cents" then you look at your "purchased" songlist a year later and realize that 300 some songs means that you've spent 300 dollars.

I finally showed some self-restraint today though. I've bought I think 9 games total so far, and the next game I really want that's in the pipeline is SMW, but I would also like to play a whole bunch of stuff that went up today, notably Contra III, Comix Zone, and of course MK64. I just can't keep blowing 20 some dollars each week... even though I logged on to the store and just hovered my my wiimote over the purchase button on MK64. :)

2DMention said:
I'm sure it didn't crash when you put in your wiipoints card or credit card #. :D

No, it didn't. :lol

But to be fair, it occurs such a way that it *could* just as easily drop on those screens as on the downloads. It's the whole Wii Shop that's buggered. And I know I'm not the only one that has issues with it, especially on "VC Monday" during primetime.

Branduil

TheGreatDave said:
At the very least, 64 has better tracks.

Hmm, maybe. I find both quite a bit inferior to MK DS though.

Edit: And the Rainbow Road in this game sucks immensely. What is the point of a Rainbow Road you cannot fall off of?

MK: DS is bloody brilliant though. To me there is a battle between DS and SNES MK for best MK, and 64 and DD for worst. Super Circuit chills in the middle. The nice thing is, even crappy Mario Kart is better than every other kart racer that isn't named Crash Team Racing.

If this happened with any of my other 3 wireless connections, or the two wired ones, including XBLA Marketplace, I might think it was me.

damn you serious? i have a HORRIBLE internet connection (F U SBC GLOBAL!) and i downloaded contra III in literally in about 2 minutes

Top Bottom