• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hey Platinum, y'all got any more of them games?

3411967_ori.jpg

atr0cious

Just started God Hand, and holy shit is this one weird game. But I opened the technique menu, and I already love this game. Amazing and kind of overwhelming at the same time. Too bad it looks so bad blown up on the screen.

I love Platinum's 3D action games, but I'd like to see them try something else, just how it turns out. It'd be cool to see them create a sidescroller, or an arcade-style beat-em-up, or maybe even a shmup (I think Inaba once said there were people within the company who wanted to make one).
Inaba worked on R-Type Leo which is my favorite R-Type.

Towels

Banned
Platinum Games. Oh my word. Better than Nintendo to the power of Team Ico multiplied by Naughty Dog plus 10.

Honestly, when a console launches (Wii U) with the promise of 2 exclusive Platinum games, and doesn't resonate with gamers, I seriously wonder what the fuck is going on.

impact

Banned
Platinum Games. Oh my word. Better than Nintendo to the power of Team Ico multiplied by Naughty Dog plus 10.

Honestly, when a console launches (Wii U) with the promise of 2 exclusive Platinum games, and doesn't resonate with gamers, I seriously wonder what the fuck is going on.

Platinum games are just super niche. On top of that their games aren't exactly going after the same crowd as Nintendo games so you've got some Platinum fans who don't really see two games as worth the price of a console.

Bayonetta is why I didn't give up playing video games, where she goes, I follow. I know 2 will probably be the end of her journey but I hope we can get a Rodin spinoff & above all else a crossover with Devil May Cry.

I really want Platinum to make an Immortal Iron Fist game, I feel like they could do for him in the game world what Brubaker, Fraction & Aja did for him in comics.

Platinum Games are niche and don't sell well.

impact

Banned
Because most gamers hate good games. It's the only explanation.

Well duh. We live in a world where Army of Two can sell a fuckton more than Vanquish and Lego Shitty Undercover can sell more than TW101. And Avatar/Avengers are some of the highest grossing box office films of all time.

Rising was so much better than it had any right being considering the development cycle. A theoretical Rising 2 is going to obliterate the genre if it has a standard development time. Dat Rising presentation+TW101 levels of content=
izGyZcm43BVt4.gif

I honestly think Platinum suffers from two major problems - shit marketing and consistently underexplaining their game mechanics. The first one means no one besides really hardcore gamers knows their games exist, while the other means that average gamers who stumble upon their titles wind up giving up on them because they can't figure out what they're doing wrong.

I ran into the latter problem with Metal Gear Rising. Until I saw Angry Joe's review, switched over to an Xbox 360 controller, and rotated the left stick, I was fucking terrible at parrying attacks and breaking out of grapples. I at least knew about the dodge move, which allowed me to compensate until the Armstrong fight, but there were at least a half dozen points where I was almost at the point of quitting and I could easily see the average person doing so.

I honestly think Platinum suffers from two major problems - shit marketing and consistently underexplaining their game mechanics. The first one means no one besides really hardcore gamers knows their games exist, while the other means that average gamers who stumble upon their titles wind up giving up on them because they can't figure out what they're doing wrong.

I ran into the latter problem with Metal Gear Rising. Until I saw Angry Joe's review, switched over to an Xbox 360 controller, and rotated the left stick, I was fucking terrible at parrying attacks and breaking out of grapples. I at least knew about the dodge move, which allowed me to compensate until the Armstrong fight, but there were at least a half dozen points where I was almost at the point of quitting and I could easily see the average person doing so.

I kinda agree with this but I like to figure stuff on my own, MGR was a completely different game after I bought and mastered the dodge move(I was pretty much parrying everything before that, and it worked fine that way).

W101 changed for me when I saw the Saur videos, I love how I THOUGHT I was playing the game right and then I see the crazy shit others pull because they actually dedicated their time to master the game.

Griss

I agree with both of your points - I actually played 90% of Rising not knowing you could dodge, though luckily parrying came very easily to me so it wasn't an issue.

But I'd say a bigger issue why they don't resonate with bigger audiences is the same reason their fans love them - an excess of ridiculously, quirky, over the top personality. While you and I may love that, the average consumer is looking for something a little more bland. It sucks, but that's the way it is. It's why they don't actually GET any marketing - western marketers take one look at their games and say 'I have no idea how to sell this to your average college-going man'.

Most people don't want to know about a sexy bullet witch or 100 little saturday morning cartoon heroes or a goofy slob turned into a classic film hero, done japanese style. The closest thing to a 'normal' topic they covered was a cyborg ninja slicing the shit out of people. That was also backed with a huge IP, and voila - sales. The rest of their shit is just niche by it's very nature due to its content.

Riki

Fellow Platinum fans: for those who haven't seen it yet, please check this ongoing petition/campaign to help bring Sega/Platinum titles to Steam:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756674

It's gaining steam (heh) fast, but more help and love is always appreciated. The games may even see a newer, stronger presence on PC! After Rising's port, the rest can certainly do good.

The problem is that Sega seems to have pretty much abandoned all their work with Platinum. I doubt they'll put another cent into the games.
We're just lucky Nintendo was willing to fund Bayo2. So unless some other company steps in to fund the PC ports, it's highly unlikely.

The problem is that Sega seems to have pretty much abandoned all their work with Platinum. I doubt they'll put another cent into the games.
We're just lucky Nintendo was willing to fund Bayo2. So unless some other company steps in to fund the PC ports, it's highly unlikely.

Platinum can port it themselves, they just need Sega's permission to do so. They did Rising by themselves!

I dunno, I think SEGA might be swayed eventually by the fact that late PC ports of Japanese games seem to be doing pretty well, but that assumes that there are a lot of competent and reasonable people at the top of SEGA's hierarchy. That might be asking too much of Japanese executives right now.

I agree with both of your points - I actually played 90% of Rising not knowing you could dodge, though luckily parrying came very easily to me so it wasn't an issue.

But I'd say a bigger issue why they don't resonate with bigger audiences is the same reason their fans love them - an excess of ridiculously, quirky, over the top personality. While you and I may love that, the average consumer is looking for something a little more bland. It sucks, but that's the way it is. It's why they don't actually GET any marketing - western marketers take one look at their games and say 'I have no idea how to sell this to your average college-going man'.

Most people don't want to know about a sexy bullet witch or 100 little saturday morning cartoon heroes or a goofy slob turned into a classic film hero, done japanese style. The closest thing to a 'normal' topic they covered was a cyborg ninja slicing the shit out of people. That was also backed with a huge IP, and voila - sales. The rest of their shit is just niche by it's very nature due to its content.

I appreciate that they don't try to appeal to others and just make the game they want to make, it's not something a lot can afford to do these days.

I'll always buy their games Day 1.

If Rising 2 is made hope they can implement the wall run that went missing after the initial Revengence reveal, even if it ends up pointless, I can see Raiden using it against flying enemies though:
iyt7x941hooIx.gif

Timmy00

Great thread TC! :D

I haven't got a chance to really play the Wonderful101 yet despite having it for a while. I hear mostly great things about it. I'll definitely need to start playing it once college gives me a break.

Does anyone know how to get the Wonderful One behind the giant wall of water in Operation 4-B? It's right after the Second Vorkken fight.

TWILT

Banned
Ohh was hoping a thread would exist.

Have played Okami, God Hand, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, and Wonderful 101 and I've loved them all. I think MGR's my fav out of the bunch.

Can't wait for Bayo 2. One of the main reasons (and W101) I bought a Wii U.

i have a love/hate relationship with sega as publisher.

they take risks but if a game doesn't sell gangbusters you see no sequel (bayo 2 almost....chromehounds ;-;)

Can't wait to know what's their next game, apart from Bayo 2.

I'm a bit hesitant on that considering the rumor floating about it (or one of their future titles) being an Xbox One exclusive. I mean if it's true, I'll strongly consider an X1 but my wallet gonna need some prep time and some tissues.

TreIII

I appreciate that they don't try to appeal to others and just make the game they want to make, it's not something a lot can afford to do these days.

I'll always buy their games Day 1.

Same.

But I'm happy that there's a mid-tier developer like P* that makes solid action games that are as off-the-wall, oft-kilter and "Japanese" as you can get. This industry is increasingly becoming a hostile environment for games of this sort, so I can at least appreciate that Sega and Nintendo did their part to help these games even exist.

And I guess Konami, too,
even though I loathe that company, now

Str1ke4

If Rising 2 is made hope they can implement the wall run that went missing after the initial Revengence reveal, even if it ends up pointless, I can see Raiden using it against flying enemies though:
iyt7x941hooIx.gif

That looks awsome. At first I was kinda annoyed that i didn't use it once during the whole playthrough. But then i read your comment.

Griss

i have a love/hate relationship with sega as publisher.

they take risks but if a game doesn't sell gangbusters you see no sequel (bayo 2 almost....chromehounds ;-;)

That's the best way to be, imo. You get original games, and if they sell well then they get sequels with bigger budgets.

Good games not getting a sequel is no tragedy. It often makes a game stand out far more as an iconic game of its time if it doesn't get a sequel. Bayo 2 will be fun, but the first game sure as hell didn't need a sequel.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
If the next platinum game is ms exclusive..that ms funded...who gives a fuck..I mean really you can still buy it
Yeah seriously. Bought a WiiU for W101 and that was fucking worth it, if Kamiya directs a Xbone exclusive next I'll just buy one. Next gen will start with a PlatinumGames for me.

If the next platinum game is ms exclusive..that ms funded...who gives a fuck..I mean really you can still buy it

Yeah but I seriously have no interest in any of Microsofts first party games and I'll already have a PS4 for multiplats. It's really hard to justify buying a console for one game unless you're absolutely loaded.

Guess I'd know how the people complaining about Bayo 2 feel :p
Though I still don't understand it, Ninty and Platinum have similar design philosophies so if you enjoy one you should enjoy the other /shrug

Fandangox

Does anyone know how to get the Wonderful One behind the giant wall of water in Operation 4-B? It's right after the Second Vorkken fight.

You have to go through a pipe hidden below the big platform you land on. Try to jump out of the platform until you find it, I don't remember where it was exactly.

A+ thread

Been a fan ever since Viewtiful Joe and have yet to be really disappointed. Okami really made me love video games and I bought every game besides Infinite Space. I even had a copy of Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble at one point... Lol

There really is no one else like them. It's a shame Mikami's not with them these days but I'm sure The Evil Within will be awesome.

Ushiwaka

They funded an anime movie, so they have not abandoned Bayonetta and Platinum yet.

Bayo 2 will be fun, but the first game sure as hell didn't need a sequel.

Exactly. I mean I'm happy that we got a sequel, but Bayo 1 was complete. I mean 100% complete. There is nothing in that game that I want to change. That is why new Bayo 2 mechanics like Umbran Climax seem so unnecessary, at least to me. We had something like UC in the first game, the Climax Brace accessory. I don't blame Platinum though. The first game was as complete as it could get. If we're going to see a Bayo 3, I want it to take the combat system to the next level.

Top Bottom