• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Wii U, new Mario and Mario Kart @ E3 this year

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lol @ people saying this isn't big news because its expected.

I mean we might as well not hype next gen uncharted or halo because... They are coming?

Well, it should work opposite since i'm definitely hype for E3 because I know that we will know something about those 3 games which is a good sign.

kinggroin

Banned
Or maybe because those games will more than likely be bigger steps up from their predecessors on older consoles in comparison to the upcoming exclusive Wii U Nintendo games.

You are comparing "AAA" movie spectacle-like games to typical video games.

Nothing can be a bigger step up than Wii ---> X

SykoTech

Looks like thrid time will be the charm after all. No way they can blow it like the last 2 years with those. This E3 will be awesome.

Hope Metroid manages to show up too.

Coolwhip

Banned
Or maybe because those games will more than likely be bigger steps up from their predecessors on older consoles in comparison to the upcoming exclusive Wii U Nintendo games.

You are comparing "AAA movie spectacle-like" games to "typical" video games.

heh, bigger steps.

Zero148

Uh, yeah. Those game series are graphical showcases.

Nintendo games aren't.

you know the relative power jump from Wii to WiiU is far bigger than the ones from PS360 to their successors, right? So the steps for the WiiU versions should be bigger in comparism to the Wii iterations...

On topic:

3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash and propably Retros game + new footage of the todays announcements should be a really great E3 showing. I doubt we will see better games on the new consoles, better graphics sure. So basically Nintendo has good chances to win this years E3

ASIS

You are comparing "AAA movie spectacle-like" games to "typical" video games.
Ok, we shouldn't hype up dark souls 2 since it is a "typical video game" and "expected" correct?

For the record, Wii u is a huge jump from the Wii, a bigger jump than the PS3>PS4. So hyping Zelda is ok only if it is an AAA cinematic title?

Sandfox

I'm expecting both Mario, Mario kart, Yoshi, Wind Waker, and Retro's new game to come out in the second half of the year along side a few exclusives we don't know about(not first party unless its a way smaller title). Next year we will get X, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, maybe Zelda U, SMT x FE and whatever else is announced.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mario Kart 8U

I guess Mario Kart has a shot of being a holiday release and Smash a 2014 offering (or later), of course.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I do hope that people who say "same old shit" whenever Nintendo makes a new entry in a franchise are consistent. And say "same old shit" when the new Sim City comes out, the next Halo, next Gran Turismo, Forza, God of War, Starcraft expansion, Street Fighter, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, and Witcher.

And any other entry in an existing video game franchise, many of which are over a decade old.

Otherwise, it's gonna start to look as if someone is hypocritical. And maybe just says "same old" because Nintendo isn't cool for big boys and their big toys.

Duxxy3

Mario mario mario...

Where did metroid go? Where is F-Zero? Where is star fox? Wave race?

Hell, where is that zelda they demoed? It's nice to see a wind waker remake, but it's still a remake.

shaowebb

I do hope that people who say "same old shit" whenever Nintendo makes a new entry in a franchise are consistent. And say "same old shit" when the new Sim City comes out, the next Halo, next Gran Turismo, Forza, God of War, Starcraft expansion, Street Fighter, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, and Witcher.

And any other entry in an existing video game franchise, many of which are over a decade old.

Otherwise, it's gonna start to look as if someone is hypocritical. And maybe just says "same old" because Nintendo isn't cool for big boys and their big toys.

This. People only bitch about franchise entries for Nintendo because of the whole Big Boy thing. Dual standards every time in those statements.

Sandfox

Mario mario mario...

Where did metroid go? Where is F-Zero? Where is star fox? Wave race?

Hell, where is that zelda they demoed? It's nice to see a wind waker remake, but it's still a remake.

Other M killed Metroid and the Game cube killed the others(though Star Fox or Metroid might be coming back). Zelda U was mentioned and its being worked on.

Bgamer90

Banned

"lol" in agreement or in disagreement?

If the latter, then I don't see what there is to disagree about.

you know the relative power jump from Wii to WiiU is far bigger than the ones from PS360 to their successors, right? So the steps for the WiiU versions should be bigger in comparism to the Wii iterations...

Not really. Nintendo games don't go for realism. They are more creative in style. Therefore, many games on the Wii U just look like HD versions of Wii games.

3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash and propably Retros game + new footage of the todays announcements should be a really great E3 showing. I doubt we will see better games on the new consoles, better graphics sure. So basically Nintendo has good chances to win this years E3

Heh ok.

Ok, we shouldn't hype up dark souls 2 since it is a "typical video game" and "expected" correct?

For the record, Wii u is a huge jump from the Wii, a bigger jump than the PS3>PS4. So hyping Zelda is ok only if it is an AAA cinematic title?

A bigger jump than the PS3 to PS4? How do you know this?

And no, this discussion was never about Dark Souls 2. It was about typical Nintendo franchises that everyone knew was coming.

I also never said that there's nothing wrong with hyping any Nintendo games. If you are interested in them, go ahead.

All I'm saying is that games like Halo and Uncharted are easier for many to have "next gen hype" for than Nintendo franchises that have been around for more than 25 years.

Getting so defensive over nothing. Wow.

Bgamer90

Banned
lol what. i'd agree that they might be technical showcases, but graphical? what does that even mean and how doesn't nintendo games fit in there?

By graphical I pretty much meant technical.

Those games are going for a much more realistic look than the majority of Nintendo games.

Goodness... I didn't know that my statement would cause so many to get their pants in a fit. Sorry to bring down the Nintendo hype (lol).

RagnarokX

If Mario Kart Wii U had been available at launch, i'd have dropped money on the console. True story. Now, its just another Mario Kart title i won't play. Sadly.

So you can't buy a Wii U and Mario Kart even though you want it because... it wasn't a launch game? Oooookaaaay.

batbeg

Those games are going for a much more realistic look than the majority of Nintendo games.

Goodness... I didn't know that my statement would cause so many to get their pants in a fit. Sorry to bring down the Nintendo hype (lol).

Do you seem to think only photo-realistic graphics push consoles abilities?

Bgamer90

Banned

Heh, no.

It's because many Nintendo games are of a different mold/form than games such as Forza, GT, God of War, Halo, Gears, Uncharted, etc.

I mean, this is obvious correct?

Those games go for realism... therefore many would anticipate seeing how they would be on next gen consoles with more power.

This. People only bitch about franchise entries for Nintendo because of the whole Big Boy thing. Dual standards every time in those statements.

lol, "Big Boy"? Really?

The games are just going for different things.

Bgamer90

Banned
Do you seem to think only photo-realistic graphics push consoles abilities?

No. However, photo-realism makes it easier to see graphical jumps.

NSMB U looks basically like a HD version of NSMB Wii and I wouldn't be surprised if the new 3D mario game for the Wii U looks like a HD version of Galaxy (or Sunshine).

Nintendo games follow a creative style... a style in which art means more than realism.

Heck, it's basically the reason why Nintendo hasn't been relying on having powerful hardware for almost a decade. The majority of their games don't need it.

Darryl

Banned

i just don't like the argument people should only be excited for new games which push bleeding-edge technology. it makes no sense to me and is pretty irritating argument. it's like someone explaining to you that you shouldn't be excited to see Seven Psychopaths, you should only be excited for the latest Battleship.

Bgamer90

Banned
i just don't like the argument people should only be excited for new games which push bleeding-edge technology. it makes no sense to me and is pretty irritating argument. it's like someone explaining to you that you shouldn't be excited to see Seven Psychopaths, you should only be excited for the latest Battleship.

I never said that people should only be excited for that.

However, when it comes to new ($300+) consoles, it's obvious as to why some people would rather want to see bleeding-edge tech in comparison to what Nintendo's giving.

ASIS

A bigger jump than the PS3 to PS4? How do you know this?

And no, this discussion was never about Dark Souls 2. It was about typical Nintendo franchises that every knew was coming.

I also never said that there's nothing wrong with hyping any Nintendo games. If you are interested in them, go ahead.

All I'm saying is that you games like Halo and Uncharted are easier for many to have "next gen hype" for than Nintendo franchises that have been around for more than 25 years.

Getting so defensive over nothing. Wow.
I am not being defensive at all actually, look at my original post. I was specifically picking out people who say the games aren't worth noting because they are "expected". You say it is easier for others to understand the hype for other games because they are "next gen-y". But I say those same people deserve critiscm for their hypocritical and limited views. You say they are old, but the super smash series is not that much older than the halo series and it has fewer entries than any franchise listed. You say they are typical, yet galaxy showed tremendous advancements and achieved critical acclaim because it managed to re-invent itself.

If you want to argue about people being tired of these games, then that is also a completely different point from the one I am making.

And the Wii's architecture and resolution constraint didn't help them at all, the Wii U's modern architecture makes it much more competitive ( even though it is still nowhere near parity).

screenshots of the new smash would be so disappointing, they would only show like 4 or 5
give me a trailer please please please, with king k rool revealed B^)

figured mario kart and a new mario was in development, its gonna be like the 3DS first winter, those two will be released in November and December. bet on it, how else would Nintendo counter the new PS4 and xbox.

batbeg

No. However, photo-realism makes it easier to see graphical jumps.

NSMB U looks basically like a HD version of NSMB Wii and I wouldn't be surprised if the new 3D mario game for the Wii U looks like a HD version of Galaxy (or Sunshine).

Nintendo games follow a creative style... a style in which art means more than realism.

Heck, it's basically the reason why Nintendo hasn't been relying on having powerful hardware for almost a decade. The majority of their games don't need it.

I'm much more excited to see Nintendo's "creative style" bridges the gap to pixar quality with more powerful hardware than how much more realistic shooters will get.

Servbot24

Banned
All I'm saying is that you games like Halo and Uncharted are easier for many to have "next gen hype" for than Nintendo franchises that have been around for more than 25 years.

This really doesn't make sense to me. The Uncharted games have not really changed aside from becoming better looking and more cinematic. I don't play Halo, but from what I can tell not a whole lot changes from game to game. Zelda, and mainline 3D Mario change far more from game to game imo. Twilight Princess was the only recent one which was supposed to be a throwback and thus didn't change much, and of course SMG2 was a direct sequel. I see plenty of reason for people to be interested in new Nintendo games.

udivision

screenshots of the new smash would be so disappointing, they would only show like 4 or 5
give me a trailer please please please, with king k rool revealed B^)
Smash is confirmed to not be playable, but I'm going to interpret "screen only appearence" as a trailer/logo/name for no real reason

CorvoSol

Damn, Nintendo just was like "You know what? We already gave them Pokemon 3D. Let's just open the floodgates a little early this year."?

ant1532

Banned
only thing i could ask for is new smash to be tight as melee and not the loose party physics of brawl. but that won't happen so I guess I'll stick with melee forever ehhh.

Top Bottom