• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

ajf009

poor Frofnir Trollsbane.. found his dead body where else but a trolls burrow..

It's little things like that that make me love this game, as opposed to just really really liking it

I started a replay 6 days ago and I am disgustingly addicted again. Sadly, my ocd need to Max out my ability to be awesome made the first 20 hours rough. I was obsessing about using skill trainers and stealing my money back, holding levels until I could do, making sure my smith and enchant got to 100. It was crucial I hit double enchant so i could level my magic in the end game super easy so i don't hit a level wall like my first character who couldn't do so in any meaningful way.

To make matters a bit worse, leveling like crazy at the start meant the enemies got fucking insane for my character on expert. The one thieves guild mission with Mercer is absurdabsurd. There is a hallway with like 8 deathlords. Crazy.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I also started a new character last week (Redguard this time). What a difference being prepared makes. I remember during my first play through with my High Elf character that I was completely underprepared during the final quest of the main storyline. This time, I properly leveled up my alteration, enchantment and conjuration skills. Piece of cake this time around, even on expert/master.

Horse gaits look weird in Skyrim anyway. There should be more variation in them. You should be able to use a horse to ride someone down, this could be compensated by making them less agile when they gallop. I'm sure there is a mod somewhere for this though.

Horse gaits look weird in Skyrim anyway. There should be more variation in them. You should be able to use a horse to ride someone down, this could be compensated by making them less agile when they gallop. I'm sure there is a mod somewhere for this though.

Horses should've been more like they are in RDR. Would've been fantastic.

Woorloog

Banned
Holy....
Bethesda's support for Skyrim is excellent... it's not often when games gain new, free features in patches.

Horses should've been more like they are in RDR. Would've been fantastic.

Indeed. I think i expressed this very sentiment back when Skyrim launched. At least we need the horse whistle.

For some reason I've become obsessed with this game over the past couple weeks... and I've never played an Elder Scrolls game in my life!

Two of my best friends keep talking about how awesome it is, and I saw it played for the first time about a week ago. I love fantasy bullshit and I need a game that is a good bang for my buck to keep me occupied throughout the summer, and this seems like the perfect candidate.

The only problem is that my 360 red ringed about 6 months ago. I finally ordered a DIY repair kit that I'm hoping will work. If it does, I'll be buying Skyrim next week.

I usually burn out of lengthy RPGs within the first ten hours or so, but for some reason I have a different feeling about this one. I can't wait to play it. Hopefully there is some semblance of life left in this thread when I finally dive in to my first ES experience!

Levyne

Banned
Woo, just finished the game and all of the major side quests / map fully explored.

One exception is that since I entered Markarth via the "Night to Remember" quest, could not get The Forsworn Rebellion to spawn, also preventing the mine escape quest. Also prevents the House of Horrors.

My first elder scrolls game, basically seemed like western fantasy Fallout 3 (which was my first Fallout game).

I agree with the posts above about Dragons being too frequent, I played probably close to 100 hours before doing "Dragon Rising" though so maybe since I had pretty much explored everywhere already the "Dragon Queue" was overflowing or such.

Eagerly await expansion info.

Woorloog

Banned
Does patch 1.6 fix the two handed artifact sword (can't remember the name, Ebon Blade or something like that?)?
If not, someone needs to complain about it on Bethesda forums more often.
I'd do it if i rememberd my username and password... and what email i used for the account.

I also started a new character last week (Redguard this time). What a difference being prepared makes. I remember during my first play through with my High Elf character that I was completely underprepared during the final quest of the main storyline. This time, I properly leveled up my alteration, enchantment and conjuration skills. Piece of cake this time around, even on expert/master.

Conjuration almost broke the game for me. I went through first time as a conjurer and everything was a breeze, I got kinda bored after a while and now I'm playing through as a pure melee character. Trying to go through the ending this time was a bit of a difficulty spike (wasn't prepared at all), so now I'm going to level up a bit more before I attempt it again.

ajf009

Does patch 1.6 fix the two handed artifact sword (can't remember the name, Ebon Blade or something like that?)?
If not, someone needs to complain about it on Bethesda forums more often.
I'd do it if i rememberd my username and password... and what email i used for the account.

What problem are you having with it? I have that and i didnt notice anything wrong

I just finished the main quest as a level 34 sneaking archer thief Argonian. Was way under powered for the quest so I just basically snuck past the majority of combat. Level 100 sneak. My archery and apparel/armor bonuses for archery were high enough that
Alduin
was not too tough.

ajf009

I think it'd be pretty cool if you could set up camp for the night. When I'm walking from Markarth to Riften, I want to be able to pitch my tent come nightfall, set up a fire with those logs i've chopped, and have a cooked meal before going to sleep. then I wake up come sunrise, pack up camp and continue my journey.

I'm looking for the full experience here Beth!

I think it'd be pretty cool if you could set up camp for the night. When I'm walking from Markarth to Riften, I want to be able to pitch my tent come nightfall, set up a fire with those logs i've chopped, and have a cooked meal before going to sleep. then I wake up come sunrise, pack up camp and continue my journey.

I'm looking for the full experience here Beth!

That would be great.

Anyone know how I can find evidence against the Battle-Born in Whiterun? I keep trying to sneak into their house to find something but always get caught :(

Can anyone tell me how to setup the ENB series for Skyrim? It would be my first time & I'd like to use Jasmin's ENB?

Edit: So I don't have to enable anything? press any keys?

MrBig

Can anyone tell me how to setup the ENB series for Skyrim? It would be my first time & I'd like to use Jasmin's ENB?

Just drop all the files from one of the configuration (the files themselves, no the folder that contains them) into the root skyrim directory (not the data folder). You don't have to any set-up yourself beyond that.

Volimar

Dragons are avoiding me now. I can be out in the open and shouting (missing Dragonrend shouts lol) and the dragon doesn't even appear as an enemy. Then, once I land a Dragonrend, I got about a 50/50 shot of it actually landing or taking off into the distance...

v0mitg0d

I'm fortunate enough to be attend E3 next week for the 3rd year in a row and couldn't be more excited! I'll scheduled to see some really really cool games, however another reason I'm excited is because I'll be interviewing some very talented people. Most notable are these folks:

Todd Howard - Skyrim, Game Director and Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios
Harvey Smith - Dishonored, Lead Designer
Max Schaefer - Torchlight 1 & 2, Runic Games co-founder and CEO

It's worth mentioning I'll be getting hands-on time with Skyrim's DLC Dawnguard and Dishonored too.

Anyway, what questions should I ask them? What would you ask them? It could be about their specific games, game design, game theory, or whatever else is might be interesting.

I'm fortunate enough to be attend E3 next week for the 3rd year in a row and couldn't be more excited! I'll scheduled to see some really really cool games, however another reason I'm excited is because I'll be interviewing some very talented people. Most notable are these folks:

Todd Howard - Skyrim, Game Director and Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios
Harvey Smith - Dishonored, Lead Designer
Max Schaefer - Torchlight 1 & 2, Runic Games co-founder and CEO

It's worth mentioning I'll be getting hands-on time with Skyrim's DLC Dawnguard and Dishonored too.

Anyway, what questions should I ask them? What would you ask them? It could be about their specific games, game design, game theory, or whatever else is might be interesting.

Direct him to this post. Ask him why that didn't happen, and what it would take for it to happen.

Also, I'll try and think of some better questions later. :lol

Effect

I think I'm finally done with the game. Finished the main story a while ago and was just traveling around whenever I loaded up the game. Doing caves, crypts, etc when I find them. However sick of the dragon attacks. It actually became bothersome before I even finished up the main story. It's not like they are a problem just really, really annoying.

It actually is giving me pause in regard to going back to Fallout 3 and New Vegas (more FO3 then NV). I had points in my account from buying Broken Steel and something else a long time ago. So when the rest of the DLC went on sale I used it to pick up The Pitt, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta. I figure if I tackle that content I should be good. Don't want to worry about just traveling around and run into the dragon equivalent (though perhaps worse) in Fallout. Deathclaws that are suppose to be become more and more frequent. I think with NV that isn't the case as the Deathclaws are mainly clustered around certain areas. Cold be wrong.

At least with Skyrim I have the PC version. Is there a mod out somewhere or one on the steam workshop that will disable the dragons?

daedalius

What is the ideal level to try to keep yourself at?

I am level 62 right now, and everything is an absolute joke on adept; and I feel there is no benefit to playing on a harder difficulty (not better loot, no more xp, etc).

While the game was never really 'hard', being able to just about 1-2 shot everything dual wielding swords is kinda meh. I want to make a new character almost at this point; maybe to do the mage guild quests and stuff. I just don't want to have to grind my blacksmith back up, lol.

Also, DLC stuff looks amazing.

GhaleonEB

It looks like added dungeons, some monsters and a crossbow. Looks more like Knights of the Nine rather than, you know, an actual expansion pack.

And new mounts, and new enemies.

I'm surprised it appears to be set in Skyrim proper rather than major new territory ala Shivering Isles, but I'm going to reserve judgement until we have a better picture of just how much new content has been added. Knights of the Nine was a pretty small quest update, Shivering Isles was huge. From the trailer this lands somewhere in between but I have no idea where on the spectrum.

And new mounts, and new enemies.

I'm surprised it appears to be set in Skyrim proper rather than major new territory ala Shivering Isles, but I'm going to reserve judgement until we have a better picture of just how much new content has been added. Knights of the Nine was a pretty small quest update, Shivering Isles was huge. From the trailer this lands somewhere in between but I have no idea where on the spectrum.

I think the way they made a feature like dragon shouts a main focus of the game actually painted them into a corner, lore-wise. Dragons and word walls are obviously unique to Skyrim itself, and they're a major part of the gameplay. I think, in order to maintain consistency, new landmasses like the Shivering Isles might actually be out of the question, unless they decide to just throw the lore out of the window.

Woorloog

Banned
It looks like added dungeons, some monsters and a crossbow. Looks more like Knights of the Nine rather than, you know, an actual expansion pack. I was hoping for something like Shivering Isles.

Yes, and the same.
But let's wait for more details...
The location seen on the trailer looks a bit like this might include a small bit of High Rock... i mean, the trailer showed us some new places, places that might be on Skyrim/alternate dimensions or maybe on the mountains beetween Skyrim and High Rock.

Also, hopefully the second expansion/add-on (we know there will be at least 2 DLC for Skyrim, IIRC) adds a large landmass to the game, like Solstheim (would love to visit it again).

I think the way they made a feature like dragon shouts a main focus of the game actually painted them into a corner, lore-wise. Dragons and word walls are obviously unique to Skyrim itself, and they're a major part of the gameplay. I think, in order to maintain consistency, new landmasses like the Shivering Isles might actually be out of the question, unless they decide to just throw the lore out of the window.

Skyrim may have been the main place where dragons were worshipped but that doesn't mean other provinces didn't have dragons or Dragon cults and thus shouts. Besides, Bethesda could always add some new magic that work in similar way to Shouts and the DLC could allow the Dragonborn to learn these.

Top Bottom