• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Essos is a continent. There's a map floating around where someone tried to piece all the released maps together but no official one.

There's an interesting quote in this interview with GRRM's editor.
Finishing this book where he absolutely wanted to end it would have taken probably another year and more pages than could be realistically bound between two covers. And so much great stuff had happened already that no one, I felt, could be unsatisfied by the developments. So he voluntarily pulled one big sequence out of the book. I lobbied for another…and it came out, too.
So two major sequences were pulled out of the book. I assume the Stannis/Bolton confrontation was one of them.

Basileus777 said:

So two major sequences were pulled out of the book. I assume the Stannis/Bolton confrontation was one of them.

I assumed they were pulled from the end of the book and my guess was Dany fighting the Khalasar so there'd be a bit more momentum to her story (she'd be ready to return to / free Mereen and immediately leave for Westeros at the beginning of TWoW). I had no idea about the other one but Stannis/Bolton is possible.

Last Hearth said:
Jon Snow is AA reborn.

Where he got assassinated there was a bleed star, smoke and salt(tears), and he will be revived, thus "reborn".

Salt from his assassin's tears, smoke his wound, where was the bleeding star?

And Melisandre said that she was trying to see Azor Azhai through the flames, but they kept showing her Snow.

The salt and smoke thing was referenced a bunch in this book, including in Jon's last chapter.

Basileus777 said:
Salt from his assassin's tears, smoke his wound, where was the bleeding star?

And Melisandre said that she was trying to see Azor Azhai through the flames, but they kept showing her Snow.

The salt and smoke thing was referenced a bunch in this book, including in Jon's last chapter.

Re-read the part about Ser Patrek's death. The part about his cloak which was soaked with blood.

Nesotenso

Yeah, no way Jon is dead before the series nears the end. And I have a feeling GRRM will have to resort to more than two books to finish this story.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Last Hearth said:
Re-read the part about Ser Patrek's death. The part about his cloak which was soaked with blood.

Did not really make all those connections! Well spotted all!

Ser Pat's heraldry was based on the Dallas Cowboys after all!

It will probably take Martin another book to sort out the Meereen/Dothraki situation. There's still so many plot threads and characters that need to be dealt with there.

I think this series is probably going 8 or 9 books now. He's lingered on the whole Essos situation for so long that I don't know how he will get through it quickly enough to get Dany in Westeros before the end of Winds of Winter at the very earliest.

Last Hearth said:

The most amusing part of this is that Ser Patrek's symbol is a star because Pat is a Cowboys fan. So Jon is reborn under a bleeding Dallas Cowboys star.

JerkShep

Basileus777 said:

So they basically cut the ending? lol
One of the endings, at least.

Nesotenso

Basileus777 said:
The most amusing part of this is that Ser Patrek's symbol is a star because Pat is a Cowboys fan. So Jon is reborn under a bleeding Dallas Cowboys star.
Who is Pat?

Thought GRRM was a Jets fan.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Nesotenso said:
Who is Pat?

Thought GRRM was a Jets fan.
Pat from pat's fantasy hotlist. He had a bet with grrm and he won or lost, forget which. So grrm made him a character and killed him off in a gruesome way. Pat is a cowboys fan.

Puddles

Banned
I hope that Ramsay Bolton gets a hold of the Wall conspirators and flays them. I can't think of anyone in the series who deserves to die more than Wick and Marsh at this point, and that includes, the slavers, the Boltons, Qyburn, etc.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
About 200 pages in.

My thoughts so far. The least interesting chapters have actually been Dany, Jon, and Tyrion for me. Bran and Reek have been much better. Jon's have been nothing but a recap. While Dany's really have felt like they advanced anything at all.

Tyrion is still enjoyable, but he was always the most interesting while at King's Landing.

ezrarh

Holy shit just finished the book. Gonna have to take some time to think on it and do a slower reread. Damnit..Martin's going to need 3 books to finish this off at the very least...

I just finished this instant. The wait for the next book starts now, but first a reread.

Jon and Jaime better not be fucking dead.

Loved the Arya assasination chapter. Theon was a good read as well.

Did Ramsay lie in his letter? I think so.

velvet_nitemare said:
I just finished this instant. The wait for the next book starts now, but first a reread.

Jon and Jaime better not be fucking dead.

Loved the Arya assasination chapter. Theon was a good read as well.

Did Ramsay lie in his letter? I think so.

Jaime can't die, GRRM already told us in AFFC (Maggie the Frog's prophecy) that he's going to choke Cersei to death. Thank god for ham-fisted plot devices.

Basileus777 said:
Jaime can't die, GRRM already told us in AFFC (Maggie the Frog's prophecy) that he's going to choke Cersei to death. Thank god for ham-fisted plot devices.

Little brother. Jaime and Tyrion are options. Sure, Tyrion is probably a mislead, but u never know.

ezrarh

Speaking of that, I don't know if I have a favorable opinion of the events in Essos. We didn't even get to see the climatic battle.

No climatic battle at the end in Meereen was a huge let down.

My favorite POVs were Bran, Davos, Jon and Arya. Theon was good too but it very difficult to read. Basically all stories in the North was very well done. All the stuff in Essos was a let down because there was no resolution to any of it. Victarion, still on his way, Tyrion, still on his way, Dany, still not headed for Westeros. Meereen, still under siege.

What's most disappointing is that it will take another book to settle the Essos situation. The idea of this series being finished in 2 more books is laughable at this point.

bluemax

Banned
ezrarh said:
Speaking of that, I don't know if I have a favorable opinion of the events in Essos. We didn't even get to see the climatic battle.

Solving the Mereen Knot by not doing anything! Brilliant plotting by the American Tolkien.

ezrarh

bluemax said:
Solving the Mereen Knot by not doing anything! Brilliant plotting by the American Tolkien.

He might have actually written that chapter with the battle but for some reason the editor removed that part. I think the reviews suggesting this was better than ASOS are completely wrong.

While there were story arc completions for Bran, Arya, and Cersei, most of the others were left dangling. Especially for Jon, Tyrion, and Dany which was what the book was comprised of for the most part. If the book had finished with the Meereen battle and Tyrion doing something of note then I might not have such an unsatisfied taste in my mouth. I would have preferred if Jon's arc ended with him somehow being reborn as Azor Azhai instead the huge cliffhanger that it is. Unless he really is dead, and if so, would pretty much end most of my care for the series.

Besides the Jon ending, the stuff in the North was great. Essos, not so much because nothing really happens and I'm not the biggest fan of Dany either so that doesn't help. I'll give Martin the benefit of the doubt that he'll have great things planned for Winds of Winter because AffC/ADwD is suppose to be a transitional period, kinda like ACoK.

Still predicting that with Jon/Tyrion/Daenerys all being (secret) Targs, they will be riding one of Dany's dragons to win the Iron Throne in another civil war, killing each other in the process. The final chapter of the series will be Bronn being crowned as the new king. Because Bronn always wins.

Christ. My ending thoughts: lol--how the fuck is HBO ever gonna pull covering all the widely varied shit this book encompasses off in any satisfying way; lol--Quentyn; the 'et tu, Brutus?' at the wall completely, utterly crushed my soul, even though I expect some rebirth--but it just won't be the same character; and thank fuck for Varys, being reminded he's still got his finger in the pot will make the wait a little easier. Always trust in Varys.
Also, I have to say, the Asha/Stannis on the March/Reek/Davos chapters were probably my favorite...extremely moody storytelling for that chunk of Westeros.
Needs more Howland.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Around 250. So blonde woman on Tyrion's Boat is Snow's mother now? Or is it just Martin trying to divert away from R+L.

golem

cubicle47b said:
I assumed they were pulled from the end of the book and my guess was Dany fighting the Khalasar so there'd be a bit more momentum to her story (she'd be ready to return to / free Mereen and immediately leave for Westeros at the beginning of TWoW). I had no idea about the other one but Stannis/Bolton is possible.
I would say the siege of Mereen. No way Dany can get the new Khal back in time..

tino

Banned
Is there a free cities map with the character names on it like a dumb down rpg map? I am looking at the free cities map in the beginner of the book I can't even find the 3 cities Dany sacked. And which city is that Dorne kid stuck in?

tino

Banned
shintoki said:
Around 250. So blonde woman on Tyrion's Boat is Snow's mother now? Or is it just Martin trying to divert away from R+L.

The whole Tyrion river adventure read like a side quest of Berserk to me.

Calling it now: Quentyn dying is the "sun rising in the west and setting in the east". His death seem to happen roughly at the same time as Dany finding the khalasar.

HarryHengst said:
Calling it now: Quentyn dying is the "sun rising in the west and setting in the east". His death seem to happen roughly at the same time as Dany finding the khalasar.

In line with that, some people on Westeros think Dany's bleeding in her final chapter is from a miscarriage.

golem

yacobod said:
Mirri Maz Duur’s prophecy from GoT?

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

The Dothraki Sea was going dry right? The prophecy was referring to Drogo specifically though.. does he rise from the dead?

What was the deal with those kids that were with Varys when he killed Kevan? My first thought was that they were like Arya, Faceless Men in training, but that seemed really silly. But then again, Varys having a bunch of child-killers is stupid too.

HarryHengst said:
What was the deal with those kids that were with Varys when he killed Kevan? My first thought was that they were like Arya, Faceless Men in training, but that seemed really silly. But then again, Varys having a bunch of child-killers is stupid too.

I think they were more of Varys' little birds. Those slave boys with no tongues that he uses as spies.

Havok

Last Hearth said:
Jon Snow is AA reborn.

Where he got assassinated there was a bleed star, smoke and salt(tears), and he will be revived, thus "reborn".
This is goddamn brilliant. I never caught onto that.

Oh shit, Lord Manderley is way more awesome/creepy than i realized at first. If you dont know why, pay close attention to him during Boltons wedding feast and the song he requests.

HarryHengst said:
Oh shit, Lord Manderley is way more awesome/creepy than i realized at first. If you dont know why, pay close attention to him during Boltons wedding feast and the song he requests.

The crazy part is that he eats the Frey pies himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom