• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

Murrah

Banned
Played a good chunk of Gunman Clive on my break at work; so good. I'd kill for, if not a sequel then just a spiritual successor that expands on the mechanics. It's really helping scratch the itch for run and gun platforming until Mega Man 2 gets here

rjc571

Banned
Gunman Clive is actually a surprise technical marvel. Runs at solid 60fps in 3D with 2X antialiasing and the sketch shader effect.

Yep, kinda makes you wonder WTF happened with Fluidity only running at 30 fps when it doesn't support 3D and doesn't have any fancy graphical effects (as far as I can tell). I love the game as well; even though it only takes 30 minutes to an hour to complete (depending on difficulty), the stage design just keeps getting better and better as you go along. I've already beaten the game twice and I can see myself replaying it many times over.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yep, kinda makes you wonder WTF happened with Fluidity only running at 30 fps when it doesn't support 3D and doesn't have any fancy graphical effects (as far as I can tell).
Fancy physics simulation.

Chopper

do you own the retail or digital version?
I'd appreciate it if you'd try to trigger the save corruption bug with your updated game. It's probably the fastest way to find out what the patch did.
I just tweeted RSG to find out if it fixes the bug. Will update accordingly.

rjc571

Banned
Fancy physics simulation.

Is the 3DS's CPU really so weak that it can't process realistic water physics at 60hz in a game which has nothing else which would even remotely tax the system? I'm sure that the 3DS should have been able to handle it at 60. For instance the Loco Roco games run at 60 fps on the PSP and they have some pretty advanced physics (though maybe not as advanced as Fluidity).

M3d10n

Is the 3DS's CPU really so weak that it can't process realistic water physics at 60hz in a game which has nothing else which would even remotely tax the system? I'm sure that the 3DS should have been able to handle it at 60. For instance the Loco Roco games run at 60 fps on the PSP and they have some pretty advanced physics (though maybe not as advanced as Fluidity).

There are several different ways code can be written. The game is also a port from a console with a much faster CPU, so once they had a code that hit 60fps there there was no need to optimize further.

It's not uncommon to have to use completely different techniques to get better performance and this is much more laborious when working with existing code than with code written from scratch.

Also, the 3DS doesn't support the per-pixel distortion effects the Wii and GC had, so Fluidity seems to be using a vertex-based technique with can be more expensive.

beril

In a few weeks time will you give us an idea on how Gunman Clive has sold now that its out in two major territories?

I'm thinking of doing a little write up comparing the different markets sometime soonish, when I have a bit more data from the 3DS version. Not sure if I'll give hard numbers or not.

Right now I can reveal that first day in america = 2.9x first day in europe

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm thinking of doing a little write up comparing the different markets sometime soonish, when I have a bit more data from the 3DS version. Not sure if I'll give hard numbers or not.

Right now I can reveal that first day in america = 2.9x first day in europe

I have a feeling this means Gunman Clive's worldwide debut on 3DS is better than on iOS, since you said the European debut was just a little lower than WW debut on iOS.

Oh, yes: could you repeat where the game was in US and European charts in the first day / days after the release? And could anyone here say where the game is positioned in the 3DS Current US Chart? I'd like to see a sort of comparison.

qq more

I downloaded Gunman Clive. Neat little game, beril! Reminds me of Mega Man in some ways, was that the inspiration?

newfire01

Neo Member
Loving Gunman Clive, excellent work beril! Sure it's a short game, but the fact that each character controls differently greatly extends the game's longevity. I'm really hoping you are planning a sequel, spiritual successor, or even just an update- I'd gladly pay for any of these. Even more unique, playable characters (a la Super Meat Boy) would be awesome!
Btw thanks for the nostalgia, reminding me of those days of getting my ass kicked in megaman as kid :)

I know it has probably been asked before but can anyone tell me the list of full retail games which are available to download in the Japanese 3DS eshop.

Gonna order this week.

NeoRausch

oh what the hell? I've finally wanted to download gunman Clive but nooooo! store down.... man!

edit:
finally loaded! thanks Reggie!

BriBri

I know it has probably been asked before but can anyone tell me the list of full retail games which are available to download in the Japanese 3DS eshop.

Gonna order this week.
I don't know where there is a list online but as well as the Nintendo published ones in the west there are (I'll add to this):-
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
New Love Plus
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Fantasy Life
Demon Brain Training
Senran Kagura Burst
AKB48 + Me
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Monster Hunter 3
Plus easily a dozen more...

Qurupeke

For unknown reasons a friend gave me an eShop code for a game called Robot Rescue or something like that. If someone is interested in this, I can give it if you PM me. Euro only I think...

I don't know where there is a list online but as well as the Nintendo published ones in the west there are (I'll add to this):-
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
New Love Plus
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Fantasy Life
Demon Brain Training
Senran Kagura Burst
AKB48 + Me
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Monster Hunter 3
Plus easily a dozen more...

thanks dude

Thraktor

Well, the 3DS's CPU isn't anything to write home about, but fluid physics is non-trivial even in 2D, so I'd be happy the 3DS got the game at all.

rjc571

Banned
Well, the 3DS's CPU isn't anything to write home about, but fluid physics is non-trivial even in 2D, so I'd be happy the 3DS got the game at all.

But surely it has a better CPU than the PSP which was running Loco Roco with similarly advanced physics at 60 fps at 222 MHz? Though I can buy into M3d10n's reasoning that the game's code was ported over from the Wii which made it more difficult to optimize.

NateDrake

I bought a 32GB SD card for my 3DS and I'm apparently messing something up in the transfer process. I took the old SD card, copied the files onto my laptop, inserted the 32GB card, copied the files to it, but I'm not getting all my games.

I'm actually getting old stuff when I did a transfer from my 3DS to 3DS XL.

Thraktor

But surely it has a better CPU than the PSP which was running Loco Roco with similarly advanced physics at 60 fps at 222 MHz? Though I can buy into M3d10n's reasoning that the game's code was ported over from the Wii which made it more difficult to optimize.

As far as I'm aware Loco Roco doesn't actually do any proper fluid dynamics, just lots of soft body physics, which is a different (and less computationally taxing) thing. I haven't played the whole way through Loco Roco, though, although I do own the game, so perhaps there's some nice fluid simulation at some point and I just haven't seen it.

vdlow

I love Mutant Mudds, but I don't know if I would buy the sequel day one. I would rather wait to see and buy the definitive version on the Wii U just like the first game. If they don't release this definitive version then I buy the 3DS version.

Roto13

Wasn't really impressed by GC when I tried it on iOS, like at all.

It sure is pretty though.

I don't really get the love for it, either. It looks and sounds nice but the gameplay and level design, while solid, could not be less remarkable.

It's a fine little $2 game, but it's nothing special.
I love Mutant Mudds, but I don't know if I would buy the sequel day one. I would rather wait to see and buy the definitive version on the Wii U just like the first game. If they don't release this definitive version then I buy the 3DS version.

Why is the Wii U version the definitive version?

vdlow

I don't really get the love for it, either. It looks and sounds nice but the gameplay and level design, while solid, could not be less remarkable.

It's a fine little $2 game, but it's nothing special.

Why is the Wii U version the definitive version?

All the content we have today + exclusive content that will never come to the other platforms (and will probably be revealed in the first Nintendo Force issue) .

DonMigs85

Isn't Gunman Clive made by a GAF member? I could have sworn I read it somewhere in another thread. I mean, I'm probably going to get it because of the price alone (Have $2.02 in balance), but if it's from a GAFfer, all the better.

Didn't think this warranted a thread but Mutant Mudds 2 confirmed for eShop release.
Will get for sure, really enjoyed the first one.

Also loved what I played of Gunman Clive yesterday, although my time with it was brief as I had to get a tooth pulled and the agonizing pain left it hard to do anything :/ Looking forward to play more of it soon.

Another thing, do we know if Fire Emblem is coming to the eShop or is it going to be retail? I'm tempted to get it digital just because of how large of a game it is but can't recall hearing anything on the fact.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Another thing, do we know if Fire Emblem is coming to the eShop or is it going to be retail? I'm tempted to get it digital just because of how large of a game it is but can't recall hearing anything on the fact.

They haven't announced a digital release, and it's not available digitally in Japan, but they said all first-party games will be getting a simultaneous eShop release going forward, so I'm sure both options will be available.

Top Bottom