• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

WITHE1982

Finally beat the game today and I enjoyed it. The graphics in the later parts of the game are really amazing. I want more VR FPSs please devs! This was far more immersive than any FPS I've played on a flatscreen TV.

I agree with this.

The part when (**late game level event, no story spoilers**)
you're running through a trench with both arachnids and robot walkers fighting each other overhead
was very special. Probably my favourite part of the entire game. Made me long for a COD/battlefield style shooter with Aim support (and i don't even like COD)

Ogni-XR21

Finally finished it. Great game and hope there will be a sequel.

I read somwhere that it has dynamic difficulty and the difficulty changes if you die a lot. Must have been on the low end most of the time, and I still died, a lot. It got a better once I was
no longer alone
or maybe it was just me getting a little better. Also felt like the last level had more frequent checkpoints (could this have been patched?), somehow it felt like the enemy waves were not that long compared to the earlier levels.

Me even finishing this, despite me not being an FPS player at all, speaks volumes on how much I liked it. Some might say it's not complex enough but for me it was almost perfect. Thanks again Impulse Gear, I really enjoyed your game!

Finally found 1 at target after striking out twice at best buy. Brickseek said all targets were sold out but grabbed the last 1 sitting on the shelf. The only reason i bothered checking anyway is bc it didnt really register when I saw the same one earlier in the morn during grocery shopping lol.

So for those in the know....whats the consensus???

Better to play this standing up? Or sitting down?

I felt batman was great standing, but i prefer to sit for most games. But i can see an argument for either/or with farpoint.

Either way, hoping this lives up to the hype! Damn near every other vr game has been mind blowing so far, im guessing this will do the same.

Wollan

Seems like one of those obvious new IP releases that should get sequel funding straight away. Looking forward to jump into this in a months time.

Rokal

Finished it up tonight. I was not a fan of the last third of the game, and all the upwards aiming
for flying enemies
caused a ton of PS Camera tracking issues for me, but I've never had my breath taken away in a game as often as I did in this. What a strong demonstration of what VR is capable of.

I hope this isn't the last we see of the Aim Controller, but I definitely feel like I got my money's worth out of Farpoint.

Really cool experience. Co-op with randoms was interesting too.

Still want to try and get that 100 kill/70% accuracy trophy in coop someday but it seems pretty challenging.

I was surprised how well the dual stick movement worked. Combined with the incremental look speed I experienced no nausea at all, and there have been games on Oculus and PSVR that I can't stand for 5 minutes. Hopefully this control setup will see more use in future titles and not just the few that were announced now.

Being a massive Destiny fan I was fantasizing about shooting Vex and Fallen when I was playing these levels, I think it would be pretty cool if AAA FPS-devs included small VR vignettes in their games, like Battlefront's X-Wing level or CoD's Jackal level did for flying games. The controller really makes you feel having a rifle in your hand, and I loved inspecting the weapons up close from different angles

Gonna try the challenge mode now and improve my aim !

panda-zebra

Being a massive Destiny fan I was fantasizing about shooting Vex and Fallen when I was playing these levels, I think it would be pretty cool if AAA FPS-devs included small VR vignettes in their games, like Battlefront's X-Wing level or CoD's Jackal level did for flying games. The controller really makes you feel having a rifle in your hand, and I loved inspecting the weapons up close from different angles

Sony should straight up fund this as part of their marketing push. There's nothing mechanically wrong with Farpoint as a game, but Destiny is so refined, it'd be nuts. I was hooked on Destiny for the first 3-4 months, 1,400 hours and had to go cold turkey, but have Destiny 2 pre-ordered. Similarly, I boxed up my PSVR and put it away as I was spending far too much time (and cash!) in the hmd. Farpoint forced me to drag it out. Never been addicted to any other game/device/substance/anything before. Putting those two together, oh my.... goodbye real world for real!

Farpoint didn't really make me want to play more FPS games in VR, but more generally just anything first person with exploring, discovery and of course some shooting/tool use. Seeing the other co-op player's movements in the lobby was yet another special, defining VR moment... find it hard not to imagine a future offering open world games populated with other players with that degree of 3rd party player representation, even in small instances it'd be incredible.

Ogni-XR21

So for those in the know....whats the consensus???

Better to play this standing up? Or sitting down?

I felt batman was great standing, but i prefer to sit for most games. But i can see an argument for either/or with farpoint.

I played almost all of the game sitting down. While I don't have a problem using smooth turning I found it hard to stand while moving. Probably something I could get used to but when I was playing standing up I didn't feel safe on my feet. The only downside to sitting down is that you can't really crouch to take cover.

Freeman76

Sony should straight up fund this as part of their marketing push. There's nothing mechanically wrong with Farpoint as a game, but Destiny is so refined, it'd be nuts. I was hooked on Destiny for the first 3-4 months, 1,400 hours and had to go cold turkey, but have Destiny 2 pre-ordered. Similarly, I boxed up my PSVR and put it away as I was spending far too much time (and cash!) in the hmd. Farpoint forced me to drag it out. Never been addicted to any other game/device/substance/anything before. Putting those two together, oh my.... goodbye real world for real!

Farpoint didn't really make me want to play more FPS games in VR, but more generally just anything first person with exploring, discovery and of course some shooting/tool use. Seeing the other co-op player's movements in the lobby was yet another special, defining VR moment... find it hard not to imagine a future offering open world games populated with other players with that degree of 3rd party player representation, even in small instances it'd be incredible.

I dont think Farpoint is very good, but the tech and potential is mouth watering, hopefully some devs will grab this with both hands and give us something deeper and more varied than Farpoint. Its a great demo of what is possible, and the aim feels great, I found the game a borefest though after the wow factor passed. It was a 5/10 game with a 9/10 peripheral imo.

Ogni-XR21

According to gamefront.de Farpoint was the no.1 of PS4 sales charts for May 15th - May 20th.

PS4
1. (NEU) Farpoint (Sony)
2. (NEU) Injustice 2 (Warner)
3. (NEU) The Surge (Focus)
8. (NEU) Portal Knights (505 Games)

So happy to see this topping the charts! Unfortunately I could not find any info on multiplatform sales. Injustice 2 is no.1 on xbone (but I don't know if those sales even matter in Germany in the grand scheme of thing) and PC is strong here too. So hard to tell if it was topping the multiplatform game charts.

I finished the game last night and really enjoyed it. I think my initial assessment stands, the game is a 6 or 7 on its own but gets bumped up to 8 or 9 with the controller. The immersion is just outstanding with the Aim. The later levels are better too, with some good fun moments and some great "VR turns it to 11" moments.
When the swarm of armored spiders come out of the hole I said "oh shit" just as the character did, haha
. The endgame weapons are kind of useless though. The story is also pretty generic but good enough to keep you going.
The ending makes no sense either, what exactly is that girl expecting to accomplish on foot in 30 seconds?

The game does feel like a test though, to see what works and what doesn't. They figured out the gameplay and now they just need to work out the level design. There are some really good levels in there mixed in with some crap, which is still pretty good in VR, but in a sequel hopefully they can really focus on level design.

I'm really looking forward to a sequel and hope that more devs support the Aim.

Had this since launch day but had only managed to play for a couple of hours. Found time this morning to get back to it but this time standing up. Definitely feels more immersive standing in skate board stance and the Aim up against the shoulder then just sat on the sofa.
No issues with tracking except a change the angle camera to cope with me to standing.
I'm a slow and poor FPS gamer and the
Queen Boss Battle
took me some time and many attempts.
Getting the hang of triggering reloading the shotgun just before switching
I've had no issue with motion sickness but nothing in VR except HalfLife2 on the DK2 has me ill. Only once had brain fade when I found myself twisted over my shoulder but mentally forgot I turn the camera/viewpoint with rear stick.

Played more of the story today, oh wow! Some of the later eniviroments and new enemies are great. Really feels awesome

modsbox

Where are you from?

Some Frys in the middle of nowhere seem to have stock. Nothing around me :(

nowinstock.net has trackers for the bundle at best buy, amazon and gamestop, you can set up alerts.

That said, even with the alerts on I missed it both times it was momentarily available yesterday. I jumped on it on bestbuy.com the moment the tracker popped an alert for me and couldn't get through ordering it before it switched back to in-store pickup only.

Crazy that these are so hard to find. It's clearly way more popular than they expected it would be.

I'd be fine just buying the aim controller separately and the game digital, but as far as I can tell the bundle is virtually discontinued while the standalone aim controller has yet to be sold anywhere yet.

For those of you who were able to snag one, if you've beaten the game you might consider selling your bundle on ebay and buying it again later. Bundles are going for 135-150 consistently.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I am pretty sure that the
Queen boss battle
got nerfed in the update. I couldn't beat the fucking thing for like an hour, quit, came back after the update, and murdered it on the first go. Previously it was
shoot in mouth twice on ground --> queen goes to top of cave --> shoot her twice again --> shoot her twice on the ground again --> shoot her on top of the cave again --> finish her off on the ground, all with an insane monster spawn rate. Now I shot her twice on the ground, twice on the cave, once more on the ground, DEAD.

impirius

Queen boss battle
got nerfed in the update. I couldn't beat the fucking thing for like an hour, quit, came back after the update, and murdered it on the first go. Previously it was
shoot in mouth twice on ground --> queen goes to top of cave --> shoot her twice again --> shoot her twice on the ground again --> shoot her on top of the cave again --> finish her off on the ground, all with an insane monster spawn rate. Now I shot her twice on the ground, twice on the cave, once more on the ground, DEAD.

I think it might be an adaptive difficulty thing; before this most recent update, I died twice during that battle and beat it the third time with
three phases: cave, ridge, cave
. Really, the toughest thing about the
ridge phase
is the fact that the missiles are laser-guided.

test_account

XP-39C²
Beat the game earlier today. Loved the game. About the ending,
i wish that it wasnt ending with a sequel in mind. I would like to have get more answers on what happened.

Queen boss battle
It was like that in 1.03 as well.

Grinchy

Banned
That's kinda lame if they nerfed that big fight. One of the best things about this game for me was that it was difficult. I liked that it made me feel like I had to fight my way through intense situations. I didn't even mind having to re-do sections after a death.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I think it might be an adaptive difficulty thing; before this most recent update, I died twice during that battle and beat it the third time with
three phases: cave, ridge, cave
. Really, the toughest thing about the
ridge phase
is the fact that the missiles are laser-guided.

Hmm that's weird, because I tried it 5-6 times before I finally gave up, and it was not letting down. Bad ass mofo of a boss, kind of sad I didn't beat it legit

modsbox

Finally found a bundle near me. I'm only about 30 mins in but really enjoying it so far.

Really impressed that they've figured out how to make FPS' work in VR and have laid out an approach that everyone else can clone. It's like.. why not a DOOM patch? why not a patch for Wolfenstein?

btw - for anyone in the SF bay area looking for one, via brickseek.com I learned that some of the far away walmarts have them. I got one of the last two in Gilroy this afternoon, but San Leandro (south of Oakland) says they have 4 of them in stock. Head over there if you're trying to find one! Even though they won't do in-store pick up on it for some reason the brickseek #'s are accurate.

valeu

i just finished it a few days ago. there were a lot of surprises that i wasn't expecting. i was surprised by the story elements:
the isolation that tyson and moon felt. and them deciding to make their downed ship a home. then have a baby. and her growing up to be a fighter.
i was surprised when the game turned into
halo
in vr. and also how fun the challenge mode is. and i haven't even played with an aim controller yet. mine is coming to brazil next month. can't wait to re-play

nowinstock.net has trackers for the bundle at best buy, amazon and gamestop, you can set up alerts.
Yep, this is how I scored my PSVR earlier this year (and I had alerts on since November lol).

Will have to wait for now. Ended up picking up Dirt 4, Star Trek Bridge Crew, and some stuff on Steam.

xillyriax

I have a spare voucher for the game. If you have the AIM controller only, show me the receipt and I'll give it to you.

edit:
Gone, that was fast x.x

If anyone's curious, the controller, bundle, and game dropped in Japan yesterday, and bundles still seem to be readily available in some stores at the retail ~8600 yen cost.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know why I didn't realize that the co-op mode had a Chaos difficulty. We were only playing on Hard, thinking it was the highest. Chaos is fun! We ended up getting top 100 scores on the last level.

f@luS

More than a member.
WoW bundle is going at 200+ on amazon France. wtf. Glad I bought it

New update bringing some contents available

Played the first hour tonight. Finding it pretty fun aiming down sight in VR while shooting at enemies. There were a couple of times where I jumped when enemies broke cover suddenly. The character models look great too.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Found the only bundle in 100 miles in any direction last weekend and am truly loving it. I played through Arizona Sunshine and it made a meh experience into a huge blast!

Playing Farpoint now and, holy hell, this game is intense. I want to post a gameplay vid of me against the first boss because it was so amazing to me even though I died. https://youtu.be/wyp8f4HLT9w

Enemies all around me, shit blowing up everywhere, I'm swinging around in my chair firing behind me and shit. It was nuts.

I'm so totally jazzed about VR, guys. I sure do hope Sony continues to fund AAA VR development.

Data Ghost

Hi guys, I sold my PSVR yesterday so I no longer have any use for my Farpoint bundle. If anyone in the UK wants to buy the game and gun all boxed like brand new, drop me a PM and we can arrange :)

Top Bottom