• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia Trademark Renewed. Sega's next HD release?

Skyzard

Banned
You're doing it for me recently Sega..First Sonic Generations, then Vita JSR, now this...keep it up!

Hopefully working their way back up to shenmue ;)
III

Edit...although, wouldn't they renew it even if they weren't planning on bringing out a version yet? What's the alternative...let someone else make a game with the same name?

I don't think it even costs that much.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Day 1 on this.

Zekes!

If they rerelease this I hope they speed up the battle system. Combined with the encounter rate, I find that standard battles get pretty repetitive.

vall03

I haven't touched Skies of Arcadia: Legends for years now, Im a bad person and I really need to finish it. Hope that this HD re-release would be for Vita.

jeremy1456

There was only one part of the game where the encounter rate was annoying (flying against the wind).

And I played both versions. What the heck people.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I enjoyed the game the first time through on Dreamcast, but I honestly don't know if I could play it again as it was a very slow burn through the game - meaning I remember the battles being slow, the encounter rate being high, and even moving around the world being slow. I think they need to tweak some of these things in any HD release (though I have no idea what was changed for the GC release).

Battle rates were changed on the GC. They added a some extras in the gc release so it's probably gc release in hd at the minimum which I will take since most of my gc collection was ganked.

DonMigs85

I think the GCN version also had slightly worse audio quality, since they stuffed 2 GD-ROMs worth of content into one GameCube disc.

Yep, one of the best JRPGs ever. Legends HD (or just SoA with Piastol, the wanted list and extra character exposition) please Sega, as a lead up to SoA 2.

Alpha Stoooooooorm

McNum

If it follows the pattern of the other DC re-releases, then it'll likely be the base game with the Legends content as DLC. Like Sonic Adventure having the DX content and Sonic Adventure 2 will have the Battle content.

I' buy a HD re-release in a heartbeat, though. This game has some awesome moments, I think my favorite is
getting the Delphinus
. "Moonstone cannon... FIRE!"

I would prefer a sequel, but an HD rerelease of one of my favorite RPGs ever would definitely be awesome too.

Edit: Speaking of which, do we have any idea what the SOA/VC team is even doing now? I mean VC3 has been out for over a year and a half now.

Ridley327

Hopefully, we get a best of both worlds version of the game (The extra content of the Cube version! The superior sound quality of the Dreamcast version!), along with some more encounter rate and battle speed tweaks. It's a fine game, but I think that it could stand to be a bit improved in those two departments.

redcrayon

Could just be sega renewing their IP rights, nothing to get excited about yet.

I'd love to see it in HD though. I dont think we'll see it on a portable- lack of save points etc, but a new game would make me very happy.

I have no idea why this game is so popular. It was always generic to me. I couldn't get past the first hour without dying of boredom first. I had tried several times to play it so I could understand the hype, but it just wasn't happening for me.
The random battles make it a struggle to get into, so I totally get this.

But: the 1st half of the game is good, and the 2nd half of the game is astounding.

animation1dfg2zq7g.gif

I love the idea that there are "remastered HD" gifs getting made.

Oh man this would be so awesome, never got to play it and I've heard so many good things. Also you can never go wrong with sky pirates, just hope it's the GameCube version

Airship battles mother fucker. Do you speak it? I've always been surprised FF didn't steal this mechanic. A JRPG with a field map like DQVIII and a sky map like Arcadia would be my wet dream.

Why is literally every post here about a potential HD re-release? Have we completely given up on a new Skies of Arcadia game? I mean all we know is that Sega has renewed their SoA trademark, correct? Maybe I'm missing something.

Why is literally every post here about a potential HD re-release? Have we completely given up on a new Skies of Arcadia game? I mean all we know is that Sega has renewed their SoA trademark, correct? Maybe I'm missing something.
No one expects Sega to actually make a good decision. Just a decent one. The bitterness is not yet to Capcom levels, though.

I would totally buy SoA again if it were given the SEGA Heritage treatment like JSR and NiGHTS HD. Even pre Heritage stuff like Guardian Heroes would be totally fine with me. Just give me true widescreen, smooth framerate, and tweaked encounter rates and I'm all in!

I am glad they learned to do better after their botched attempt with the Dreamcast Collection a year or so back. Sonic Adventure was pretty bare bones but SC5p2 was solid as was Crazy Taxi minus the soundtrack loss.

Ravidrath

I actually hope this is a $20 game with full Platinum.

...But it won't be. :\

I think the GCN version also had slightly worse audio quality, since they stuffed 2 GD-ROMs worth of content into one GameCube disc.

There's nothing "slight" about it.

A lot of the textures got de-resed, too.

Micerider

Will buy an HD collection but puulease get us a sequel already (I don't care if it's a portable system receiving it for a lower-budget entry)!

DonMigs85

I actually hope this is a $20 game with full Platinum.

...But it won't be. :\

There's nothing "slight" about it.

A lot of the textures got de-resed, too.

Sadly I really doubt Sega will do a best of both worlds-style rerelease, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Luthos

I haven't played it in forever because I no longer have a Dreamcast, but I have fond memories of it.

If it's indeed a HD re-release, I'm there.

Ravidrath

Sadly I really doubt Sega will do a best of both worlds-style rerelease, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Well, the texture reduction isn't nearly as noticeable as the music issues - I'd be pretty happy with the GC version with the original music files slotted in, which should be relatively easy to do.

Top Bottom