• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd say Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good metric for the kind of character quality you'll see in Mass Effect 4.

I dunno, does Dragon Age games usually look like Mass Effect ones? Everytime i look at picutres of Dragon Age 2(which is rare, mind you), it seems to look like shit compared to ME2 or ME3. Maybe the same story will repeat itself next gen, where Mass Effect looks better.

I dunno, does Dragon Age games usually look like Mass Effect ones? Everytime i look at picutres of Dragon Age 2(which is rare, mind you), it seems to look like shit compared to ME2 or ME3. Maybe the same story will repeat itself next gen, where Mass Effect looks better.

The previous Dragon Age games were not really an indicator as to how Mass Effect would look because they used a different engine. However the new Dragon Age (whatever the hell it is called I don't follow it that closely) is using Frostbite as will all EA games it seems. So it stands to reason the new DA should give a good idea as to how Mass Effect - "what the hell are we doing" will look or that is the theory I think.

i-Lo

I'd say Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good metric for the kind of character quality you'll see in Mass Effect 4.

It does provide a reference but it ought to be better:

i2ygIxfncqeAy.gif

iKPonEtema8W6.gif

I'm thinking they'll probably look even better for a couple reasons.

For example look at your crew members in the ME games and your squadmates in the DA series. They're much more detailed in Mass Effect. I think the ME team has a better grip on believable characters. Sure both teams are now using Frostbite 3, but that talent and experience shows through in the ME games compared to DA.

Also is the fact that Inquisition is most likely coming a whole year before ME. Could they look the same quality as the characters in Inquisition? Possible...but probably unlikely. They'll probably improve upon the fidelity we see in Inquisition.

Bisnic

What other questions do you guys have in mind to throw Yanick's way?

Well, we obviously can't ask questions about the story or timeline of the game, as they're going to keep this a secret until its officially revealed...

I'm curious to see if we're going to see a return of vehicules, be it Mako or Hammerhead or a new one. I'd love to explore planets on a vehicule again. Just... not only planets with mountains everywhere like ME1.

Well, we obviously can't ask questions about the story or timeline of the game, as they're going to keep this a secret until its officially revealed...

I'm curious to see if we're going to see a return of vehicules, be it Mako or Hammerhead or a new one. I'd love to explore planets on a vehicule again. Just... not only planets with mountains everywhere like ME1.

Doubt he'll even hint at vehicles, but I'll give it a shot lol.

Ushae

Banned

I'd like to know how the team is taking on the whole open world approach so many developers are going for this coming genenration. Dragon Age and Witcher have both embraced it. I'd love to know if this formula can be applied to Mass Effect, which is where vehicles would come I think.

Asked him whether he can say anything about so many games, especially RPGs going open world and how that might factor in the next ME. Hopefully he responds with something good :)

Bisnic

Asked him whether he can say anything about so many games, especially RPGs going open world and how that might factor in the next ME. Hopefully he responds with something good :)

That's a better question than asking for vehicules. Because its quite obvious that if the game goes open world, vehicules are going to be back.

Oh god, an open world game set into the ME universe, i would love to see that. ME1 was already a little tease about it with so many planets to freely explore and not restricted to linear paths.

That's a better question than asking for vehicules. Because its quite obvious that if the game goes open world, vehicules are going to be back.

Oh god, an open world game set into the ME universe, i would love to see that. ME1 was already a little tease about it with so many planets to freely explore and not restricted to linear paths.

Right, I think it will be a little difficult to pull an actual open world in an ME game. Given there are planets and a huge galaxy, would that mean every planet is open world? I'm not sure how they could do it.

Bisnic

Right, I think it will be a little difficult to pull an actual open world in an ME game. Given there are planets and a huge galaxy, would that mean every planet is open world? I'm not sure how they could do it.

Well, i doubt its going to be EVERY planets, as there are way too many per system and making all of them available without resorting to the ME1 style of barren planets "Mountains everywhere and copy/paste caves & buildings!" is asking for too much.

They're probably going to restrict this to 1 or 2 planets per system.

What did he say? i.minus is blocked at work. I suppose "sorry, i can't say."? :p

The guy is probably spying on this thread after you mentioned GAF last time, haha.

Well, i doubt its going to be EVERY planets, as there are way too many per system and making all of them available without resorting to the ME1 style of barren planets "Mountains everywhere and copy/paste caves & buildings!" is asking for too much.

They're probably going to restrict this to 1 or 2 planets per system.

What did he say? i.minus is blocked at work. I suppose "sorry, i can't say."? :p

The guy is probably spying on this thread after you mentioned GAF last time, haha.

Perhaps.

But yea, to quote: "Now you're entering the zone where, like other devs, I'm not going to be able to provide an answer... :) "

Bisnic

Perhaps.

But yea, to quote: "Now you're entering the zone where, like other devs, I'm not going to be able to provide an answer... :) "

I figured there was a line we couldn't cross. But, nice try.

Hey Yanick, if you're reading this, try to convince your team to make a soundtrack similar to ME1! Its so much more memorable than a "epic hollywood movie" soundtrack!

I figured there was a line we couldn't cross. But, nice try.

Hey Yanick, if you're reading this, try to convince your team to make a soundtrack similar to ME1! Its so much more memorable than a "epic hollywood movie" soundtrack!

I love that he actually replies back to fans. A lot of devs tend to ignore people, it's nice to have direct communication with folks behind my favorite series. hnng

Bisnic

I love that he actually replies back to fans. A lot of devs tend to ignore people, it's nice to have direct communication with folks behind my favorite series. hnng

I suppose he has a lot of free time right now to answer since i believe the game is still very early in development. I wouldn't be surprised if they havent decide yet on what to do with the story and still working on the gameplay/engine stuff. Maybe once the game gets further into development, he won't answer as much.

I suppose he has a lot of free time right now to answer since i believe the game is still very early in development. I wouldn't be surprised if they havent decide yet on what to do with the story and still working on the gameplay/engine stuff. Maybe once the game gets further into development, he won't answer as much.

I don't know man, I don't think he's working any less even if they're early in development. That's actually probably when a lot of the long work days occur due to brainstorming, planning, implementing things into the engine etc. I think it's just his nature.

I'm expecting a Spring-Summer 2015 release for the game to be honest, about 18 months away would be my guess. Remember:

jbt2kG8ddfCHbO.png

I don't think it's years away anymore.

i-Lo

You could ask him on whether:

• The series will forgo more traditional RPG defining aspects in favour of being functionally designed to be more like traditional TPS with dialogue options.
    [*]Planet exploration will be back in a more elaborate form like ME1 or will we probing more uranus-es.
    [*]Whether they will stop colour coding (if not fully remove) dual morality (dialogue) system to make the game feels less, "game-y", and also so that players can choose what seems right for him/her without feeling obligated to fill up either the blue or the red bar.

Bisnic

I know. It pretty much almost ruined the game for me. I shouldn't have imported my save.

It's your only save? Why would your only ME2 save be one where everybody dies? You'd think people in general would make sure all of Shepard's friends are alive so you could see what happen with them in ME3.

You could ask him on whether:

• The series will forgo more traditional RPG defining aspects in favour of being functionally designed to be more like traditional TPS with dialogue options.
    [*]Planet exploration will be back in a more elaborate form like ME1 or will we probing more uranus-es.
    [*]Whether they will stop colour coding (if not fully remove) dual morality (dialogue) system to make the game feels less, "game-y", and also so that players can choose what seems right for him/her without feeling obligated to fill up either the blue or the red bar.

I think he'll answer.......

none of those lol.

i-Lo

I think he'll answer.......

none of those lol.

Well if you reword it more eloquently (removing the abrasive parts to make it look less hostile) perhaps you may get some answers. But you could very well be right since that's still going into details. I was raging while writing that post.

Also, I want the sense of exploration with highly atmospheric music back.

iy0srs21tdodh.gif

ibrYPDMeCnAGeF.gif

Daingurse

Mass Effect 3 was a letdown for me, my level of hype leading up to it's release was simply too high, not sure what could have lived up to it. But I still love the universe, the mythos, the races and characterization. I'm content with ending Shepherds chapter and returning to the universe in a fresh way. I would also love to choose my race and background ala DA:O. I'll wait Bioware, take your time please.

tumblr_m98yb5xuLr1rtg1p5.gif

Subitai

Well if you reword it more eloquently (removing the abrasive parts to make it look less hostile) perhaps you may get some answers. But you could very well be right since that's still going into details. I was raging while writing that post.

Also, I want the sense of exploration with highly atmospheric music back.
I think if we want meaningful exploration that is done correctly, it will have to come in the form of DLC. It is like secret rooms you have to find in FPS. Unless you're making an MMO or single player MMOish experience Elder Scrolls, you can't afford to devote resources to things most buyers will not use. For example, people who still really liked the Mako/Hammerhead gameplay will have to pay more for it seperately.

Bisnic

I want to be able to play any races with a big story like the past 3 games, have multiple dialogue choices for every single reply of our character, spaceship combat, hundreds of planets to explore, a perfect Mako, graphics, animations and soundtrack that will blow our minds, hundreds of guns, mods and powers, a story with no plotholes or "wtf is this shit" moments, a squad of 20 people made of almost every alien races, the best TPS/RPG gameplay possible, not a single glitch, multiplayer with different modes and co-op campaign.

Hey, you never asked for realistic dreams in the thread title.

androvsky

Hey now, it can't be that hard to procedurally generate shitty, content starved, mountain covered worlds with colourful skyboxes.

Yeah, I was about to say, Dust 514 already has thousands of worlds with multiple very large maps each. And as they upgrade their graphics it's getting to the point where you can kinda tell the difference sometimes. But that's for a game that until recently barely ran on the only platform it's targeting.

Of course, that's without generating vegetation beyond the occasional tuft of grass, and no water (or liquids) at all. They have a couple dozen pre-fab structures, some of which are pretty big, but no city generator. Still, it's better than what Mass Effect 1 had; Dust 514's terrain is a lot more polished, and Mass Effect 1 had, what, two buildings, including the mine?

I will point out that shitty, content starved, mountain covered worlds with colorful skyboxes would be highly accurate both to reality and Mass Effect lore for the majority of worlds. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was Mass Effect multiplayer 2.0. ~8 player co-op with at least twice the objective variety. 4v4 competitive co-op.

Staf

Like the first Mass effect. Would without a doubt be in my top 5 if it weren't for the awful guessing game that is the dialogue system. Don't really like ME2/3 since it neglected the thing i liked in the first game, such as exploration and world interaction, for boring boring cover based shooter set pieces.

i-Lo

I was Mass Effect multiplayer 2.0. ~8 player co-op with at least twice the objective variety. 4v4 competitive co-op.

Given the recent inclusion Gears personnels imagine if the next ME did not have a dedicated SP and instead rely fully on objective to objective co-op play like Borderlands.

News Bot

Banned
ME1 had an impeccable atmosphere and aside from some iffy glitches and game mechanics, it was fantastic. Good story.

ME2 was good and quite a bit improved, but took things in a different direction. Still fun though. Story became "eh."

ME3 is shit.

I hope it returns to ME1 standard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You were Mass Effect?

I knew it!

My deep dark secret.

Exposed.

Given the recent inclusion Gears personnels imagine if the next ME did not have a dedicated SP and instead rely fully on objective to objective co-op play like Borderlands.

It's just one guy from Gears and he's not in a position of creative force.

Seriously though ME3's multiplayer is the best thing about that game, and I want more.

Whompa

"The Mass Effect thread of appreciation and hopes/dreams of next gen "

ME3 is shit.

Thanks for following the suggested guidelines of the OP.

----------------

I'm personally really optimistic that ME:Next is going to be a different story, but something that can last a few games. As for the graphics, I can see it looking pretty amazing. My hopes are that it takes some notes from the RPG enthusiasts and sticks true to it's original intentions.

i-Lo

It's just one guy from Gears and he's not in a position of creative force.

Seriously though ME3's multiplayer is the best thing about that game, and I want more.

I wonder if they can expand on it. Imagine it to be a mercenary mode where like The Division the PvE and PvP (team based) can be combined (great DLC potential).

I'd rather not imagine a nightmare like that.

Me too but after their violation of certain design choices and by extension the principles of WRPG in the name of "streamline", I have little faith in their ability to craft systems for the next ME that will be less TPS and more RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom