• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

[Wandering Son - 11 Complete Whatever]

Yes, I know that I'm hilariously late-tot-the-party regarding this particular episode, but I don't care. It's nice to return to this series after a long absence and delve into some material fairly serious material that was never aired.

It was, overall, a very good episode. It's actually made it hard to go and watch some other character driven anime afterwards because the writing of the characters in this show is above and beyond what most shows have to offer.

That was one of my favorite episodes of the anime. I kind of waited to watch the show until that "full" episode was released, so it worked out pretty nicely for me. The subject matter and the way it was told made it one of the most interesting pieces of Wandering Son I think, and its a perfect spot for that back story.

/XX/

With nearly 100 pages (at '50 Posts Per Page') in 5 days... I wonder if there has been any other seasonal thread that has maintained such a fast rhythm since its start for so long. I certainly don't remember any...

Just wanted to say thank you for providing these examples.
No need to, man! It was my pleasure to emphasize their craziness with examples.

cajunator

Banned
With nearly 100 pages (at '50 Posts Per Page') in 5 days... I wonder if there has been any other seasonal thread that has maintained such a fast rhythm since its start for so long. I certainly don't remember any...

No need to, man! It was my pleasure to emphasize their craziness with examples.

If the shows live up to expectations, this one should fill up pretty quickly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Milky Holmes S1 01:

A lot of the screens of this show that have been posted in the thread lead me to believe that it might have a level of visual creativity, writing, or comedy not immediately apparent from the premise or rather horrendous character design. I can't say that I was impressed by this first episode, but I'm going to give it a few episodes and hope that it finds its spark.

This pilot was pretty expository but didn't do much to individualize any of the loli detectives. The whole thing looks pretty lighthearted so I'm not expecting any serious characterization, but I'd at least like to see the four main characters as more than just palette swaps of each other.
I'll laugh if this ends up being a better detective show than other recent shows that I tried and didn't enjoy like Kamisama no Memochou.

duckroll

Don't worry. All the momentum will die off once Fujikoike airs and everyone is too shell shocked from watching unfinished raw genga animated on screen to post anything anymore.

Milky Holmes S1 01:

A lot of the screens of this show that have been posted in the thread lead me to believe that it might have a level of visual creativity, writing, or comedy not immediately apparent from the premise or rather horrendous character design. I can't say that I was impressed by this first episode, but I'm going to give it a few episodes and hope that it finds its spark.

The first episode is lackluster; the confidence and boldness of the comedy increases as you get further into the season.

This pilot was pretty expository but didn't do much to individualize any of the loli detectives. The whole thing looks pretty lighthearted so I'm not expecting any serious characterization, but I'd at least like to see the four main characters as more than just palette swaps of each other.
I'll laugh if this ends up being a better detective show than other recent shows that I tried and didn't enjoy like Kamisama no Memochou.

Don't expect a detective show; this is a magical girl parody at its core.

Mandoric

Banned
Don't worry. All the momentum will die off once Fujikoike airs and everyone is too shell shocked from watching unfinished raw genga animated on screen to post anything anymore.

Remember, duck, we're in a brave new era where "unfinished" is par for the course and "animated" is shocking.

cajunator

Banned
Shaft is the most well known for this sort of thing, but what other studios have trouble delivering a complete product? I cant think of any.

Hunter x Hunter 25
tumblr_m1tg3sHpjx1qe95joo2_500.gif

This series just baffles me, I can never tell if anyone is an antagonist or protagonist beyond Illumi and mother Goldick.
Gotoh really came off as a baddie but the end made it seem that he just isnt, hope hes like Canary at least, really cool character though I dont understand the powers when he and the others hands were giving off steam. Killua and Gon to get it?

Oh well, I like the direction its going, focusing on the best character, Not excited for yet another recap. I know I need plot details restated but not to the point of every 13 episodes...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Cure Peace 9

RQSCF.jpg

Silly Yayoi, that's why you're supposed to ignore
Duckroll's favorite day.

dSHng.jpg

But she's so adorable it doesn't matter.

KGFv2.jpg

Next week is a Cure Sunny episode!

duckroll

http://www.ytv.co.jp/uchukyodai/date.html

Looks like the 45+ episode thing regarding Space Bros was wrong; the official Japanese site says that the show ends in June.

Yeah I discussed this with HosannaExcelsis. It's actually possible for both sources to be correct (since they're from the same official production source anyway). What has been greenlit so far might be 48 episodes of the show with the possibility of more episodes, and a 13 episode airing slot on this specific timeslot. They might be waiting to see how ratings and impressions pan out before deciding if they want to extend the show on that timeslot or move in, and whether to produce more than 48 episodes in total.

You should really get back to joining us on IRC so you can be part of important discussions like this! *wink wink*

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hunter x Hunter 25
tumblr_m1tg3sHpjx1qe95joo2_500.gif

This series just baffles me, I can never tell if anyone is an antagonist or protagonist beyond Illumi and mother Goldick.
Gotoh really came off as a baddie but the end made it seem that he just isnt, hope hes like Canary at least, really cool character though I dont understand the powers when he and the others hands were giving off steam. Killua and Gon to get it?

Oh well, I like the direction its going, focusing on the best character, Not excited for yet another recap. I know I need plot details restated but not to the point of every 13 episodes...
You have two great arcs coming up.

/XX/

There are levels of unfinished!
I wouldn't mind seeing again something akin to the unfinished EVANGELION: REBIRTH (#25 and #26) scenes from the EVANGELION: DEATH & REBIRTH preliminary trailer. Frantic and visceral!
I don't think it would work as well on whole episodes, obviously.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Eva wasnt so much unfinished as it was an ass pull.
It looked pretty unfinished to me.

I mean there are scenes where Rei pulls a clipboard up over her mouth and everything freezes while she still talks.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The first episode is lackluster; the confidence and boldness of the comedy increases as you get further into the season.

Don't expect a detective show; this is a magical girl parody at its core.

Good to hear, I'll stick with it.

To me, not being a detective show is a good thing. I don't think that I've ever actually enjoyed a detective anime, so if it's mostly comedy and action, all the better.

Jex

[Birdy The Mighty Decode S1 - Finale]

Ah, now that was more like it. There were a couple of episodes towards the end that weren't quite up to quality of the rest of the show, but they really went all out for this conclusion, as you might well hope. This means that the animation isn't just great during fight scenes, but also when characters are moving and talking. It's always a pleasure to see animation that's animated.

BirdyS1Finale2.png

BirdyS1Finale4.png

Without sounding too shallow, a large part of my enjoyment from this show comes from it's top-notch visuals and animation so to see such lavish attention being paid to these areas makes me happy. Birdy is, in many ways, a simple series with a unique hook. That's fine by me because it occupies a space that few other series care about filling: sci-fi action.

Perhaps my favourite part of Birdy's approach to that genre is how little is ever explained about the universe. It's just filled with lots of totally sweet sci-fi technology, characters, races, items and organizations which just make up the shows background. We never go into detail about how any of this stuff works, it's just there, which makes it feel more organic.

As for the conclusion itself - I suppose it does a satisfactory enough job of bringing this particular storyline to a close, in a rather expected manner. However, one thing that did impress me (in a bad way) was
how hard they hit the reset button with Sayaka. Not only has she lost her memories, but she's moving away for ever. Wow, what a lazy way to get her out of the picture. I'm sure her memories could be fixed with some of this ridiculously awesome alien technology, but apparently it's "better this way".
So yeah, such laziness is rather lame.

Everything else was good though. I look forward to the next season.

Reknoc

One Piece Marineford Arc (400whatever - way too long)

Well that was... awful. No real stand out moments except for one short section when Luffy throws like, a mast or something at the admirals. Though I guess that one scene near the end was worth watching, certainly really good with some voice acting and music.

Oh and every scene with Kizaru talking in it was amazing just because he has the best voice.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
From start to finish, this episode was amazing. There was a lot more effort put into the facial animation than usual, and it really helped make the emotional scenes more impactful.

Blossom's fight with her other self was fairly typical "You need to accept yourself!" stuff, but the animation, editing, composition, <insert random pizzaroll phrases here>, were all very well done.

All the Precures got their new level ups, complete with a new transformation (that was unfortunately marred by all the shitty CG toys Toei shoves in) and new outfits! And now they can do attacks on the scale of TTGL!
This was one of my favorite episodes yet. And next episode is an Erika episode! Magical girl shows don't get much better than this.

Decode 02 was amazing, sad there was never another season. :(

Tried checking out the manga after seeing it, but I didn't enjoy it all that much...

cajunator

Banned
From start to finish, this episode was amazing. There was a lot more effort put into the facial animation than usual, and it really helped make the emotional scenes more impactful.

Blossom's fight with her other self was fairly typical "You need to accept yourself!" stuff, but the animation, editing, composition, <insert random pizzaroll phrases here>, were all very well done.

All the Precures got their new level ups, complete with a new transformation (that was unfortunately marred by all the shitty CG toys Toei shoves in) and new outfits! And now they can do attacks on the scale of TTGL!
This was one of my favorite episodes yet. And next episode is an Erika episode! Magical girl shows don't get much better than this.

Well this isn't Precure Smile levels of Hawaii, but it looks sufficiently interesting to me.
You are certainly selling it well.
Aside from Smile and Heartcatch, what other Precure series are worth seeing?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well this isn't Precure Smile levels of Hawaii, but it looks sufficiently interesting to me.

I think the consensus is that they're all at least okay aside from Suite, though I never hear anything about Splash Star so it might be another black sheep of the franchise.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

There usually aren't any Cure Peace tiers of [censored] in HeartCatch, but as far as characters, story, and animation go, HeartCatch is the much superior show. You should definitely watch it, the only problem with it is that the first half is mostly average apart from a few episodes, once the second half hits, though, it just keeps getting better and better.

One Piece Marineford Arc (400whatever - way too long)

Well that was... awful. No real stand out moments except for one short section when Luffy throws like, a mast or something at the admirals. Though I guess that one scene near the end was worth watching, certainly really good with some voice acting and music.

Oh and every scene with Kizaru talking in it was amazing just because he has the best voice.

That was my favorite arc and the first full arc I had watched in full in the One Piece anime, holds a special place in my heart and is the second best arc in the series. My favorite character was done so well. And it had such a good OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom