• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Minako is close to Makoto, it's easy to see where you get confused.

At last, a voice of reason appears.

Ringo and Prez from Nichibros would like to have a word with you.

I did hedge my statement with "almost"! Prez/Ringo easily fall into the good seitokaichou category.

Oh is it Sailor ranking time again already?

Minako > Makoto >>> everyone else >>>>>>>> Ami.

I don't think I've ever taken part in Sailor rankings yet, so here goes:

Makoto > Rei > Minako > Ami > Usagi.

Mai first waifu.

Sometimes I wonder what my taste in waifus would be like if I'd been exposed to Sailor Moon before Pokemon. Misty/Kasumi was my first and only waifu for a really long part of my childhood.

More elemental bending action! WOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Come on Japan, I hope that AKB0048 will make me proud. Go Shoji!

Saint Seiya Omega 1

The characters and narrative are not particularly compelling - pretty standard stuff - but there's plenty of delicious Umakoshi eye candy to enjoy. I got what I came for.

Ultimadrago

I haven't watched much Sailor Moon, but Chibiusa seemed pretty beastin' in that beat 'em up game.
===========================

Saint Seiya Omega 1

This was aight.

Wasn't originally on my watch list, might watch it irregularly.

cajunator

Banned
lol the best thing about watching OP now... I can literally spend like 5 min per episode and be happy ("skip the fat and go for the good meat").

Are they doing another hayate no gotoku? I believe they mentioned a season 3... hmmm

What are you trying to do with that avatar, kill me?

Articalys

Straight from the Tamashii Nations AKIBA Showroom, which showcases a new set of Bandai figures every couple of months or so, the best Heartcatch Precure figures ever:
INYWj.jpg

Kaiba 6

Hold on, is the name of the protagonist Kaiba or Warp? Both names refer to something besides himself as well. Quite curious.

In addition to some nice subplots - reflections on the meaning of gender when a person can switch between the two at will, and the bond between an elderly couple which does not give way under adversity - the main plot appears to have kicked into gear. Let's see how this goes.

Fate/Stay Night 14:

Well, this is how I understand it. The episode explains who Rin's Archer actually is, but doesn't go into the story behind it. Yes, this is spoilered for a reason.

Rin's Archer is in fact Shirou. It's not the Shirou of this world, it's a Shirou in another universe who won the Holy Grail War and claimed the Grail, thus becoming a Heroic Spirit. Rin summoned this Shirou to be her Archer. Unfortunately for her, he is summoned incompletely and so doesn't remember who he is initially. Well, at any rate, what matters now is that Archer's Noble Phantasm, the Unlimited Blade Works, is an exaggerated version of what Shirou is actually able to do. His magic lets him transmute objects, according to his Origin, and in doing so it means he is essentially a magical blacksmith who can create perfect weapons. This seems to have a rather great cost to his body. Naturally, for Saber he can create a variety of perfect swords. He can also use this power to modify the properties of objects he touches, such as in this episode where he weakens the ropes that hold him to release his hands.

Fate/Stay Night 14:

Well, this is how I understand it. The episode explains who Rin's Archer actually is, but doesn't go into the story behind it. Yes, this is spoilered for a reason.

Rin's Archer is in fact Shirou. It's not the Shirou of this world, it's a Shirou in another universe who won the Holy Grail War and claimed the Grail, thus becoming a Heroic Spirit. Rin summoned this Shirou to be her Archer. Unfortunately for her, he is summoned incompletely and so doesn't remember who he is initially. Well, at any rate, what matters now is that Archer's Noble Phantasm, the Unlimited Blade Works, is an exaggerated version of what Shirou is actually able to do. His magic lets him transmute objects, according to his Origin, and in doing so it means he is essentially a magical blacksmith who can create perfect weapons. This seems to have a rather great cost to his body. Naturally, for Saber he can create a variety of perfect swords. He can also use this power to modify the properties of objects he touches, such as in this episode where he weakens the ropes that hold him to release his hands.

I think he was just from the future, and not another universe.

Are you going to watch the movie afterwards?

I think he was just from the future, and not another universe.

He's
from one possible future where a Shirou makes a bargain with the world to save some people and gets stuck as a counter-guardian.

Fate/Stay Night 14:

Rin's Archer is in fact Shirou. It's not the Shirou of this world, it's a Shirou in another universe who won the Holy Grail War and claimed the Grail, thus becoming a Heroic Spirit. Rin summoned this Shirou to be her Archer. Unfortunately for her, he is summoned incompletely and so doesn't remember who he is initially.
Unless they've changed things for the anime,
Archer just lies and pretends not to remember who he is. He probably just didn't want to explain that he's Shirou and that Rin summoned him because she used the gem she heals Shirou with in the future as a catalyst. i

Narag

Kotetsushin Jeeg 1

I've been watching a lot of stuff based on Go Nagai properties lately so what the hell, let's start another. Show is off to a promising start. Boy meets monster for no apparent reason*, boy meets giant robot for no apparent reason**, giant robot beats up monster because that's the proper order of nature. Can't ask for much more than that.

*Destiny
**Destiny

Shame about the CG motorcycles though. They were inoffensive at first but once Kenji's mouth was visible it all fell apart. Jeeg itself is pretty cool. It has a lithe bodyshape that's small compared to the first monster so the exhibited speed & agility feel right rather than forced.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Milky Holmes S1 02:

Much better than the first episode. I was really worried that something horrible was going to happen
to the cat
, but thankfully the humor never veered in a dark direction.

Poor Cordelia, even when she wins she loses. Her martyrdom fantasy was all that she had left after taking the fall for
Kamaboko
, but now that she's
free
she just gets to live out the same second-class student life. Watching her
etch drawings into the stone wall with her fingernail
was pretty disgusting.

The show hasn't really excelled visually yet, but it shows promise. The characters have a great variety of reaction faces, and if more of that bold, dynamic style can be incorporated into actual scenes, the show will have great personality.

I think I'll probably shelve this for a day in order to give myself a little crash course on Lupin III before KokieLupin begins.

Knight in the Area 6:
At least they slowed the pacing back down after skipping over way too much stuff in the previous episode. I think the anime has handled the FC vs SC match fairly well, and it's good to see Oda and Takase being bosses and
the dramatic return of Araki
, although I felt that was handled better in the manga.

Fate/Stay Night 15:

New OP.

That was the ugliest CG dragon I've ever seen. I'm sure it was intentional that it looked like Godzilla. I laughed at how bad that whole sequence was. I mean, it was super-Nasu since
Shiki does almost the same thing in KnK
but God was that CG horrible. It was like I was suddenly watching an episode of Beast Wars or something.

Mirai Nikki 24
tumblr_m1u3lhZg7U1r5ikm3o1_500.gif

Well after Yukki like powered up last episode, I was expecting more. Still a bit epic.

But I didnt know Ninth was so popular that the writer decided to bring her back to life and a major character in this ending arc, that was a nice surprise to see and I like how she has powers to assist in moving the game along. Unfair that Yuno has Murmur! Confusing showing the other players, unless they will somehow have some involvement in the next two episodes? I hope we see Akise again then, and Kousaka the Brilliant.

Milamber

I was dreading to watch Space Bros. thinking it won't capture the feel of the manga. But after seeing that first episode...

VYvpe.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gundam 0083 Ep 9:
"It's almost like the sea is weeping, don't you think? Like it's trying to tell us something."

"It's welcoming us. I can hear it..."

No wonder Zeon lost if they let clowns like these on board.

Ultimadrago

Steins;Gate 3

Dat Engrish!

Also things are picking up...a little. Hope it keeps gaining momentum.

I'm still impressed with the amount of humorous intent it has (mostly from lab member interactions). It's not a ton, of course, but more than I expected initially.

trejo

Space Bros 1

Okay, that was a pretty solid first episode. I feel like Mutta is a strong protagonist and I'm really digging the relationship between the two brothers. Definitely interested.

wonzo

Banned
Kaiba 6

Hold on, is the name of the protagonist Kaiba or Warp? Both names refer to something besides himself as well. Quite curious.

In addition to some nice subplots - reflections on the meaning of gender when a person can switch between the two at will, and the bond between an elderly couple which does not give way under adversity - the main plot appears to have kicked into gear. Let's see how this goes.
it'll go about as well as every other yuasa work that isn't called the tatami galaxy

Man, i'm rewatching some of Penguindrum right now.

Why is it so good? I just fucking love this show.
IT'S DESTINYYYY

Fate/Stay Night 16:

Ilya's not nearly as fun when she's not being yandere. She's still obscenely moe though. I love the way she always curtsies when she introduces herself or thanks somebody. She easily exceeds the levels required for the forbidden reaction to extreme moe.

In unrelated news, I guess F/SN actually is a harem story. I was mistaken based on the other Nasuverse stuff I've been exposed to, in reality it's just a harem with a whole lot of other shit going on too. I'm not sure how to express my level of disappointment about this.

Unless they've changed things for the anime,
Archer just lies and pretends not to remember who he is. He probably just didn't want to explain that he's Shirou and that Rin summoned him because she used the gem she heals Shirou with in the future as a catalyst. i

Archer specifically tells Rin that he doesn't remember who he is because she summoned him incompletely. However there's still no evidence that he wasn't lying to her, especially since he starts giving Shirou random advice almost from the moment they meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom