• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

caliph95

Ewing said he picked people for US that made sense.

Songbird got picked up for Thunderbolts. And you thank that's bad?

Avengers Academy, the Initiative, Gravity, Patriot, Ultra Girl...etc.

Those people are like the Nexus, no one made it from that group sans one.
Makes sense i guess for US

Oh right i forgot about those guys such wasted potentail. What was the dimension that was in Grant's Animal man for wasted and unused characters, too many characters are stuck there.

!!!

Diamond is making a PVC Ironheart figure as part of their figure line.

DMC12802.jpg

VanWinkle

Reading the Gotham Central Omnibus. A little over 100 pages in and it's just remarkable. I've already read this stuff (everything but the last ~200 pages), but it's been awhile. I've read a lot more comics now and have a better idea of what's really good and what's not. The conversational dialog is incredibly realistic and interesting, the pacing is great, and Michael Lark's art is sensational. Clean lines, perfect composition, and excellent expression work. Almost looks like a gritty Aja style.

This was fairly obvious but a retailer I follow on facebook posted this from the diamond event.

Somewhat related to this I guess, but I find it really bizarre how people assume that high school Spider-Man was much bigger than he was. I'm sure that things will get worse when the movie comes out.

I know merch gets posted in here a bit
If you guys ever see this jersey get an official release thanks to Arrow

Someone please hit me up.

Been looking for a few days and don't even have Ebay "knockoffs"

Aizo

Banned
Comics are great.

Love them.

Even when people tell me that I can't gauge good writing well because I like comics which means I have a low bar
I think that's generally not fair, but when people praise Remender as an "amazing" writer I do want to tell them to read a fucking book—especially after the last issue of Deadly Class (which I typically really like), the last issue of Low, and Tokyo Ghost as a whole.

There are tons of wonderful writers in comics for sure, but many do seem to be impressed easily.

error4041

Baby Groot series may be a shameless movie tie-in that will only last a few issues, but I'm excited for it. Hastings in means it should be good.

deleted

I just startet reading Sandman without knowing anything about it. Loved American Gods and Good Omens and wanted to read something else/different from Gaiman.

Not quite sure where to put it yet. I like the way it flows so far, but I really don't like that this connects with known IPs so much.
Bats and Constantine
came out of nowhere for me and I really don't like interconnected stories too much. From those 2 pictures I've seen before it felt like its own thing to me. The rest, I'm liking very much so far. Feels very much like a 80s fantasy. I'm not that far in yet, only read the first two issues (The Absolute Sandman is a fantastic set though. The quality is amazing!)

A bit of background info: Haven't grown up with American comics, much more of a European comics guy (Spirou & Fantasio, Asterix, Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck...), but I really dig the Hellboy comics and don't mind the occasional stuff like the exceptional Hawkeye run a few years back. Other than that I still find it hard to get into the flow of American comics and it's tropes. Generally not a fan of trying to include as much characters as possible into a story to create cross selling value.

Not quite sure where to put it yet. I like the way it flows so far, but I really don't like that this connects with known IPs so much.
Bats and Constantine
came out of nowhere for me and I really don't like interconnected stories too much. From those 2 pictures I've seen before it felt like its own thing to me. The rest, I'm liking very much so far. Feels very much like a 80s fantasy. I'm not that far in yet, only read the first two issues (The Absolute Sandman is a fantastic set though. The quality is amazing!)

After #3 (with Constantine), you won't have to worry about that at all.

A bit of background info: Haven't grown up with American comics, much more of a European comics guy (Spirou & Fantasio, Asterix, Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck...), but I really dig the Hellboy comics and don't mind the occasional stuff like the exceptional Hawkeye run a few years back. Other than that I still find it hard to get into the flow of American comics and it's tropes. Generally not a fan of trying to include as much characters as possible into a story to create cross selling value.

I definitely get that. But there are a lot of great runs even in American superhero comics that are very self contained and don't depend on knowing everything else about the world.

There are also a lot of American comics outside the superhero genre that don't have that issue at all!

I've really got to quit arguing with straight white dudes on the internet. The amount of people who would be happy with Marvel doing an Ultimatum-style event where every young character is killed is just insane. I don't understand it whatsoever. I guess the fact that Young Avengers got me into comics and that I've always liked the younger crew more makes me an outlier, but still. The amount of people who call for "original characters!!" and then proceed to ignore them is absurd. See Mosaic.

I think that's generally not fair, but when people praise Remender as an "amazing" writer I do want to tell them to read a fucking book—especially after the last issue of Deadly Class (which I typically really like), the last issue of Low, and Tokyo Ghost as a whole.

There are tons of wonderful writers in comics for sure, but many do seem to be impressed easily.
This is just as condescending. One or two bad issues (even though the last issue of Deadly Class got a lot of praise, no?) doesn't make him a bad writer. Comics are also not a one-to-one to novels. It's a different medium. If someone says that a movie script writer is amazing, would you counter by telling them read a book?

Different mediums, different skillsets. No art form is higher than the rest.

caliph95

I've really got to quit arguing with straight white dudes on the internet. The amount of people who would be happy with Marvel doing an Ultimatum-style event where every young character is killed is just insane. I don't understand it whatsoever. I guess the fact that Young Avengers got me into comics and that I've always liked the younger crew more makes me an outlier, but still. The amount of people who call for "original characters!!" and then proceed to ignore them is absurd. See Mosaic.

Comic fans are hypocritical as hell. The reason for alot of these legacy characters while i would prefer to have more original heroes because comic book fans still buy the same old heroes while new heroes always die off and are luck to be picked by writer that likes them.

I'm a pretty die-hard comic fan, but even I agree on this. There are some things that really irk me in this hobby and the inability from some fans to enjoy something new is one of them. Avengers Arena was sort of a downer for me because all of these legitimately good characters were getting killed off and nobody really seemed to bat an eye about it.

I hope Generations (fuck Bendis) gives some much needed identity to this new generation of classic heroes, but damn it all, I like new things. Mosaic is fantastic, and there needs to be some growth there. Miss America is going to be fire when it drops, but I doubt sales will be as good as the book is. Also, as much as I love the X-Men, I hope these new books tank. These teams are just the same recycled stuff with no interesting characters or team dynamics.

caliph95

You basically have to force Comic fans to read new characters. A lot of new characters we get are usually legacy or connected to another hero.

Remember the Initiatives characters or The Order. No else does

You basically have to force Comic fans to read new characters. A lot of new characters we get are usually legacy or connected to another hero.

Remember the Initiatives characters or The Order. No else does

The Order was amazing. It had potential to be the next big thing in Marvel if they had just kept them around. I still, to this day, don't understand the reasoning behind having an "off" switch for an entire team of superhumans. :(

deleted

After #3 (with Constantine), you won't have to worry about that at all.

Nice! :)

I definitely get that. But there are a lot of great runs even in American superhero comics that are very self contained and don't depend on knowing everything else about the world.

There are also a lot of American comics outside the superhero genre that don't have that issue at all!

Sure, that's why I'm trying to branch out. Since the sets are pretty expensive, I won't look into much else for the next few month, but if you have something to recommend, I'm all ears!

Aizo

Banned
This is just as condescending. One or two bad issues (even though the last issue of Deadly Class got a lot of praise, no?) doesn't make him a bad writer. Comics are also not a one-to-one to novels. It's a different medium. If someone says that a movie script writer is amazing, would you counter by telling them read a book?

Different mediums, different skillsets. No art form is higher than the rest.
I'm not sure what you're arguing. I didn't say Remender was a bad writer. I said that he's not "amazing." If someone is truly that impressed with his writing, then I think they should read some other great literature to compare to.

Also, no to your question at the end. I never said all comic book writers were bad. I think you took my whole post a way I didn't mean at all.

deleted

What kind of comics are you looking for

Something somewhat self contained. Clear beginning and end. I'm not opposed to Superhero comics, I read and liked The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween e.g. Also read Hush but I didn't like that one.

I read lots of Issues of The Walking Dead and found it very enjoyable too. Got to a point where I had enough though and an ending not in sight, so I stopped.

Loved Hellboy. Still want to branch out into BPRD sometime in the future.
Also have Watchmen on my agenda.

Otherwise I'm not really knowledgeable about what even exists to be honest...
I only hear and read about mainstream news when it comes to comics.

Something somewhat self contained. Clear beginning and end. I'm not opposed to Superhero comics, I read and liked The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween e.g. Also read Hush but I didn't like that one.

I read lots of Issues of The Walking Dead and found it very enjoyable too. Got to a point where I had enough though and an ending not in sight, so I stopped.

You can try Transmetropolitan - Great cyberpunk.

Fables - Fantasy. It has two major arcs. The first one from #1-#75, and another from #76-150. I've only read the first one and it is great.

Alan Moore's Top Ten is another fun series. A mix of police procedural and superhero genres.

Love and Rockets: Locas by Jaime Hernandez - Hard to describe this. It is a mix of sci-fi, magical realism and slice-of-life.

All of these can be read standalone and are complete! I've tried to recommend from different genres.

There are also some very good on-goings that you can read too. Self contained and no "branching" lines to read along, so you can start right at the beginning - like Astro City and Usagi Yojimbo.

If you're interested in Watchmen, I'd also recommend Enigma by Peter Milligan. It's also a superhero deconstruction and I like it a lot more.

BPRD is awesome BTW. It starts kind of rough but once they bring in Arcudi as a writer it improves dramatically. It stays consistently great all the way to the end of Hell on Earth which just ended recently. It's just as good as Hellboy in its own ways.

MartyStu

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Top Bottom