• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice dated in Japan for 3/7/2013, includes limited edition Vita

Is that shade of red not the shade of red they use on the new red Vitas that came out a couple weeks ago?

It's the same. It's being sold as a Cosmic Red Vita with a special custom SS theme.

Also, about the strip on the back, people do realize that by law certain information must be attached to the system itself, right? There is nowhere else to put it.

watershed

Banned
That double deal is sweet. Shows Sony is actually serious about this game. They are trying to engineer this into becoming the next MH phenomenon.

raven777

That double deal is sweet. Shows Sony is actually serious about this game. They are trying to engineer this into becoming the next MH phenomenon.

yea the double pack is sweet deal. I think Sony wants to do everything possible to be not crushed by Monster Hunter 4 in March.

BTW, the system totally reminded me of the Boktai GBA SP. I'm not sure what I ever did with mine, but I adored it back in the day.

boktaigbasp.jpg

With MH4 releasing very close (probably that week, or the week after) this deal reeks of desperation, but I suppose it's good Sony is at least trying to get people to buy the game/system rather than sending it out to die.

VICI0US

One of the only, and probably most important, vita exclusives on the horizon and they're putting it up against MH4?

Not good :/

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
One of the only, and probably most important, vita exclusives on the horizon and they're putting it up against MH4?

Not good :/

lol - but then when do they release it? Unless they can get it out way before (which isn't going to happen) MH4 is already going to be out.

MH4 is going to sell stupid numbers. But nothing is going to stop that.

watch nintendo and cacpcom announce mh4 on the very same week with a limited edition 3ds.

Prediction:
3DS XL, with MH4 pre-loaded (download version).

22,990 yen.

Cover monster's silhouette etched onto the top.

SS wouldn't have a chance, although I will admit its bundle is probably better value.
Being a niche (otaku) game on an unpopular system is not going to make up enough ground though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Prediction:
3DS XL, with MH4 pre-loaded (download version).

22,990 yen.

Cover monster's silhouette etched onto the top.

SS wouldn't have a chance, although I will admit its bundle is probably better value.
Being a niche (otaku) game on an unpopular system is not going to make up enough ground though.

yeah, i can see this happening.

Unless Nintendo/Capcom don't love huge bundles of money

Erethian

How is SS an Otaku title?

Otaku in this case means niche, I assume.

As to when they should have released it to give it the best possible chance, well obviously early next year (January/February) if they couldn't get it out this December.

But other than that, any time would have been better than March.

Are you calling SS an otaku game? lol, one of the things that Inafune said about the game and Vita was that otaku games wouldn't keep the system afloat and it would take a game like SS to give it life.

lol, this game is not anywhere close to a niche (or especially 'otaku', wtf) title in Japan. It won an official Future Award at TGS and was at or near the top of most TGS lists. That is not niche. Just because it is on a system that doesn't sell for shit doesn't make something niche.

Are you calling SS an otaku game? lol, one of the things that Inafune said about the game and Vita was that otaku games wouldn't keep the system afloat and it would take a game like SS to give it life.

Inafune is mistaken. If his goal was to create a more mainstream, non-otaku game then he is incompetent.

Developers say lots of things that don't turn out to be true. Fact is, this game is niche. It appeals to Otaku. The only real excitement for this game (that I've seen) is people I would describe as Otaku.

EDIT: To clarify, in the real world. Not TGS. For example, Vita was the most wanted system at TGS. A few weeks later it sold sub 5,000 units.

Inafune is mistaken. If his goal was to create a more mainstream, non-otaku game then he is incompetent.

Developers say lots of things that don't turn out to be true. Fact is, this game is niche. It appeals to Otaku. The only real excitement for this game (that I've seen) is people I would describe as Otaku.

Do you live in Japan? Do you read or speak Japanese? Honest questions.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Felt like a Cosmic Red bundle with this game was a lock for stateside before, feel that even more so now.

Just hoping its without the goofy thing on the back though.

Yes. Yes. I am a professional translator with very lose connections to the game industry.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but what do you feel makes this more of an "otaku" game than something like Monster Hunter?

Edit: And I totally understand that "otaku" doesn't just mean moe things. But if you are calling Soul Sacrifice an otaku title, I think you could make the argument that 95% of games that are released in Japan are otaku games. Do you feel that way?

Edit 2: Nevermind. Looking through your post history, it's obvious that you just drive-by into Vita threads to post shit. It's okay to be a fan of a company, but I don't get why you feel you need to come into threads like these just to try to stir shit up. If this was on 3DS or Wii U there would be no way you would pop into that thread and call it "niche", so we are done here.

DiscoJer

The question still stands though....
I'm not seeing the big difference between this type of game and other "party hunting" types gameplay-wise.

Well, I think a lot of people are overlooking the grinding aspect of Monster Hunter. You don't just become more skilled at the game as you play, you also have to make gear from drops you get from killing monsters, as well as building up a village/home base.

People sink 100s of hours into MH, even 1000s. Soul Sacrifice doesn't seem to have anything remotely comparable. Okay, we haven't had a whole lot of info, but it seems more story based than anything else. You play chapters and use body parts as weapons.

Sounds like something you beat once, then trade in.

I'm not seeing the big difference between this type of game and other "party hunting" types gameplay-wise.

Maybe the level of violence involved? MH can pretty much be played by people of all ages where as this game is much darker. I don't know if I'd call this niche though. On the right system it probably could do pretty well for itself.

It's not about gameplay, it's about art-style in this case. In my opinion, based on my own personal experience, etc, etc.
It's very dark, very grotesque, very morose. It's not going to appeal to anyone outside of Vita's target market, which is already fairly niche (tech savvy males in their 20's).

Coupled with being on an unhealthy system and the series doesn't really have much hope of being anything other than a niche title.

To be clear, this is hypothetical. It could become a breakout hit and the Vita may sell more than 20,000 units in a week and the game could break 300,000 units. I meant to say it will be (and remain), most likely, a niche title (in terms of sales/fan base), especially when Monster Hunter 4 is releasing in the same month.

EDIT: I mean to say this game will be eclipsed. Vita is in a bad, bad way. The department store in my city has had the same six Vita cases and 3 hardware boxes on display for about a month. I asked the woman and she said they'd moved them to the end of the ailse in the hopes of selling them, but to no avail. My nearest game store was aware of Soul Sacrifice and said they were expecting 5 copies. Anecdotal, of course. Meaningless, of course.

It's nice Sony/Inafune are trying. It really is. But I just can't see this being very successful.

Sounds like something you beat once, then trade in.

What has given you that impression? This is a hunting game, through and through. An obvious copy+tweak of the original formula that made Monster Hunter so popular. The fact that they are selling it in double-packs should also mean something.

watershed

Banned
I can see how the dark palette, the "gritty" style graphics, and the over the top gore could easily limit this game's audience. It seems like the type of game that is trying to sell on its high level of violence, almost like shock factor. That and being a MH clone. It will definitely find an audience but will it help grow the Vita base? Seems unlikely.

Top Bottom