• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

It has never even been shown on the US website. I'm going to be a it upset if the game is sold out everywhere and they never even mentioned it on the US site.

I'd keep checking as I think GW staggers the pre-orders to match local time zones, the New Zealand website always has pre-orders up hours before the UK site for instance,

I'm really tempted to do one of each Armageddon faction now, it would be a cool way to sample various flavours of the 40K universe without getting into full-blown armies...

I'm falling into their trap, aren't I, lol :p

Leunam

I'm really tempted to do one of each Armageddon faction now, it would be a cool way to sample various flavours of the 40K universe without getting into full-blown armies...

I'm falling into their trap, aren't I, lol :p

I certainly have. I'm thinking I can sneak some time in here soon to grab a box of Chaos Marines and paint up some Night Lords.

Tacitus_

How does the Horus Heresy work? Do I need to read all 15 of these? They're up to 30 now right? It seems like a great deal but I don't know if I can invest in something that sprawling with the stack of unread books I already have.

There's a main plot, but there's also a lot of filler and side stories. You can see how the stories flow together here (huge image warning) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/English_Horus_heresy_spoiler_free_tree.jpg

You can skip Battle for the Abyss, Descent of Angels, Fallen Angels and Nemesis since they're kinda shit. BftA especially since it amounts to nothing.

Nazo

GW made this article on the army painter mode in Dawn of War 3 and they showed anexample of what you could do and...is that fucking angry marine in the center?

Dow3_cosmetic.png

Article here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/04/dawn-of-war-iii-army-painter/

So, i've been wondering about a lore question here.

What would happen if a space marine company discovered that a serf of the chapter was a phariah/blank/etc?

I'm thinking someone who was born as a serf, and due to the unsettling nature they posses, was just assigned some crap position deep in the fortress monastery/battle barge, and escaped detection until some major event happened that brought it to the company's/chapters attention.

I don't think they could be made a marine, too much risk of them dying. But what would the chapter do with them? Send them on the black ships to Terra? Hand them over to the inquisition? Keep them as a chapter asset somewhere? Straight up murder the fool before they realize what they are?

The Inquisition would probably find out somehow and come for them.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure the Marines would have to do what the inquisition says here, after all its a serf, chapter property. And being a blank, he doesn't need sanctioning to my knowledge.

I know Jurgen of Cain fame was known by the Inquisition, or at least Amberley, but was allowed to stay with cain his entire career. Granted, I wonder how much interference she ran to keep that gig up.

So, i've been wondering about a lore question here.

What would happen if a space marine company discovered that a serf of the chapter was a phariah/blank/etc?

I'm thinking someone who was born as a serf, and due to the unsettling nature they posses, was just assigned some crap position deep in the fortress monastery/battle barge, and escaped detection until some major event happened that brought it to the company's/chapters attention.

I don't think they could be made a marine, too much risk of them dying. But what would the chapter do with them? Send them on the black ships to Terra? Hand them over to the inquisition? Keep them as a chapter asset somewhere? Straight up murder the fool before they realize what they are?

They would probably be sent on a Black Ship.

EYEL1NER

Perhaps, but I'm not sure the Marines would have to do what the inquisition says here, after all its a serf, chapter property. And being a blank, he doesn't need sanctioning to my knowledge.

I know Jorgen of Cain fame was known by the Inquisition, or at least Amberley, but was allowed to stay with cain his entire career. Granted, I wonder how much interference she ran to keep that gig up.
Jurgen was probably known only to Amberley and her retinue. She made it clear to Cain that he was to keep it a secret and do everything he could to prevent anyone from finding out that Jurgen was a blank.

Jurgen was probably known only to Amberley and her retinue. She made it clear to Cain that he was to keep it a secret and do everything he could to prevent anyone from finding out that Jurgen was a blank.

Given that he talks about it a lot in his memoirs, as well as Amberley would have had to make note of certain events in her own reports on incidents, I always thought that someone in ordo Xenos above her also had to be in on it.

After all, how often does that ordo have a blank to work with? Jurgen's effects on Tyranids and Necrons alone would have been amazing and important discovers for them.

They would probably be sent on a Black Ship.

I figure that was likely, but it's one heck of a resource to willingly give up for a chapter.

Tacitus_

Technically speaking, Inquisitors outrank the Astartes, but a lot of what they do is soft power, or ordering people around who are scared of them.
So going by the rules, they'd have to hand the blank over. On the other hand, there's very little stopping the chapter master from just saying no. And the Inquisition is not going to censure a Chapter for a minor thing like that so the CMs word would stand.

What would a chapter do with a blank though? They have no experience with them so they couldn't train them. They'd interfere with the librarians and just put everyone on edge. Even chapters who hate psykers wouldn't want them as they usually hate all mutants just as much.

Ohnonono

What are the chances of them releasing just the book for SWArmageddon? I really prefer to have physical copies of the main rulebooks if I am going to get into this kind of thing and nothing in that box besides MAYBE the terrain excites me. Would love a 25-30$ release of a softback book.

Ohnonono

Also seeing some Black Ship talk. It is not a huge part of the story or anything, but in Master of Mankind there are a couple chapters about a young psyker being taken from their world by the Silent Sisters and being put on a black ship. It is pretty rad, and the climax of what happens to that person is pure 40k horrorfest stuff. Was one of the coolest things about a very cool book IMO.

EYEL1NER

Also seeing some Black Ship talk. It is not a huge part of the story or anything, but in Master of Mankind there are a couple chapters about a young psyker being taken from their world by the Silent Sisters and being put on a black ship. It is pretty rad, and the climax of what happens to that person is pure 40k horrorfest stuff. Was one of the coolest things about a very cool book IMO.
What chapters? I haven't gotten anywhere near reading Master of Mankind yet but I wouldn't mind checking out that section.

Tacitus_

Hopefully free or in a book form, cause if they just do a digital for sale release, the game is pretty much DOA
There will be copies in stores this weekend, but again, we are expecting demand to be high, and this might still leave some of you who were keen to play, with no way of getting your hands on the rules.

Don't worry though – we we have some good news for you.

We will be making the rules for this game more widely available, very soon.
^
What chapters? I haven't gotten anywhere near reading Master of Mankind yet but I wouldn't mind checking out that section.

It's pretty entwined to the main story, so you'd need to read the latter half of the book to make any sense of it.

EYEL1NER

^

It's pretty entwined to the main story, so you'd need to read the latter half of the book to make any sense of it.
Ah, okay. It'll be a while until I make it to MoM then. I may start a HH book after I finish the GG book that I am on, and then rotate an HH book in for every two or three non-HH books.
I did like the description of the Black Ships and what it was like as a captive on one in Counter's short story "Sacrifice" about what goes into making the bolter shells and armor for the GKs (which featured Justicar Alaric! Really wish Counter would do another Alaric book since the third ended on such a mysterious note with Nyxos and Alaric's conversation about his future, but GW/BL seem to have moved on).

Tacitus_

Ah, okay. It'll be a while until I make it to MoM then. I may start a HH book after I finish the GG book that I am on, and then rotate an HH book in for every two or three non-HH books.
I did like the description of the Black Ships and what it was like as a captive on one in Counter's short story "Sacrifice" about what goes into making the bolter shells and armor for the GKs (which featured Justicar Alaric! Really wish Counter would do another Alaric book since the third ended on such a mysterious note with Nyxos and Alaric's conversation about his future, but GW/BL seem to have moved on).

I can give you a tldr version of it if you want. It's a small part of the book, but it has a pretty big impact - though nothing we didn't know from regular 40k.

Leunam

Anyone get their copy of SWA yet? Mine is still in the post, expecting it early next week!

Picked it up this morning! Could have had it last night had I remembered my receipt. About halfway through building the terrain and I think I have enough Chaos Marines and cultists to have variety at 1000 points.

Anyone get their copy of SWA yet? Mine is still in the post, expecting it early next week!

BTW, I'm admining over in the Facebook Group, just passed 1K members on launch day and you're welcome to join :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ShadowWarArmageddon/

Mine shipped on Friday and will not be here until Tuesday. I'm fine with that because I have lots to do around the house this weekend and don't need another distraction :p

I may very well be setting aside painting Zombicide for the a bit and concentrating on SWA. We'll see...

my local shop got 40 boxes of SWA, and sold out all but 1 which they had today(For like $104). It sold in the time I was there though.

I ended up getting-
Exalted Sorcerers
Rubric Marines
Scarab Terminators
Traitor Legions Codex

hoo boy, big purchase.

manfestival

I tried swa and honestly I wasn't a big fan. The store had a day dedicated to the game today and most games were just landslides. In my game I got wrecked hard and maybe the mission type didn't help. I honestly enjoyed kill team more

barik

I'll get invested in Armageddon when they insert the old Necromunda gangs into it. Gimme those new Esher/Cawdor models damnit

I'll get invested in Armageddon when they insert the old Necromunda gangs into it. Gimme those new Esher/Cawdor models damnit

You won't be getting new gangs. The entire reason they did it with 40k factions was to avoid having to do a whole shitload of new sculpts that would be limited to a single game. The good news is that the point systems works with the old Necromunda gangs too. If you have the gangs, you can use them in this game.

barik

You won't be getting new gangs. The entire reason they did it with 40k factions was to avoid having to do a whole shitload of new sculpts that would be limited to a single game. The good news is that the point systems works with the old Necromunda gangs too. If you have the gangs, you can use them in this game.

That actually makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of that. My point is, I'm purely in this for the models, so GW will see my money and participation when they release cool models, same with the (hopeful) Mordheim reboot.

Nazo

Hey guys, I just finished painting these Orks earlier today and I wanted to know what everybody thought of them. They're like my fourth and fifth models I've ever painted and am pretty happy with 'em but I'd like some constructive criticism. Also, my phones camera seems to not doing them any favors in the looks department, so sorry about that.

I had so much fun painting them! I'm really looking forward to painting the rest of them and my Custodes that came in a week ago.

Bradach

Can anyone recommend a you tube channel that shows full 40k games being played?
Something that would suit someone just starting. I've played a few games and read through the rules but I'd like to see a game in full flow (I'm regularly flicking the rule book during my games!)
(Also space wolves rock!!)

Top Bottom