• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

pariah164

Finally saw Jurassic World on Tuesday. Holy macaroni, that was fucking awesome.
When I realized that chick was running to get the T-Rex, I cheered so loud.
Chris Pratt was great, definitely added a needed personality to it. After the disappointment of TLW and JP3, this is just what the franchise needed.

For me:

JP > JW >>> JP3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLW

A Roar Off

rexroar3tr6i.gif

Great gif. Still kinda bummed that they never used the "full" t-rex roar but still awesome.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
uhh why is the OT only 6 pages?

am I missing something was there a previous OT?

It's less than a month old. We've had many, many other JW topics within the past year where we did our JP discussions in the meantime, until this one was made.

ViciousDS

Banned
JW was a decent movie....got it on Vudu like all my other movies. Glad to finally have a good Jurassic Park movie in a long time.

But when he said more teeth and she went to open that door....I fucking knew it and went ballistic, it was an awesome moment in the movie.

Is there any clear answer as to who did the creature design for Jurassic World? I really think it was a huge step down from the original three, and that's not just me being obstinate. I think the Jurassic Park game did a better job of designing new creatures to fit the Jurassic Park aesthetic, bug-eyed Troodon monstrosities and all.

Watching the BTS, I've gained EVEN MORE appreciation for this film. I loved the emphasis on making this movie from a child's perspective. My only issue with that is I don't think there are kids who were like us around nowadays. Kids today are spoiled by gigantic superhero blockbusters every other month it seems not to mention the electronic devices providing more bang than we've ever had a that age. I especially like the bit about Owen's heroic entrance/introduction. Not something I caught on to while watching myself.

Oh, and the long tracking shots at the end *phwooo boy*.

Finally saw Jurassic World on Tuesday. Holy macaroni, that was fucking awesome.
When I realized that chick was running to get the T-Rex, I cheered so loud.
Chris Pratt was great, definitely added a needed personality to it. After the disappointment of TLW and JW3, this is just what the franchise needed.

For me:

JP > JW >>> JP3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLW

Why keep TLW so low? It at least has some moments, the trailer on the cliff scene, stay out of the long grass, the arrival of the ingen team. JP3 has nothing memorable in it at all.

Plus I still get a chuckle every time I see the opening transition from TLW

6.jpg

Jawmuncher

I appreciate all the films. All of them have their ups and downs. TLW kind of drags but has great scenes in it. JP3 has a dumb story, but it's short and is still fun. JP1 is fine actually no real complaints there. JW has some odd plot holes but nothing too big to take away from the great moments.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Everytime I watch TLW, I forget how long it is. Once they get from Act 2 into 3, I feel like checking my watch, cause I keep forgetting that they still have San Diego to go...

I appreciate all the films. All of them have their ups and downs. TLW kind of drags but has great scenes in it. JP3 has a dumb story, but it's short and is still fun. JP1 is fine actually no real complaints there. JW has some odd plot holes but nothing too big to take away from the great moments.

People complaining about JP1's pacing compared to JW need to watch the film again. The only difference is that JP1 had a shit-ton more backstory before the running and screaming.

Haines

Banned
I didnt mind watching jw in theatres but im not sure i could rewatch it this soon. Maybe ina couple years to hype the next one for silly fun but ehh...

It didnt really do that much for me past a bit of fun dinasaur action and some nostalgia, the story was utter garbage and that pratt guy is so friggen over rated, yeah i said it.

Im excited for a movie without that trevor guy directing but at the same time they gave him the keys to star wars so yeah hollywood is fucked

Jawmuncher

People complaining about JP1's pacing compared to JW need to watch the film again. The only difference is that JP1 had a shit-ton more backstory before the running and screaming.

More backstory is something I wish JW had. I wanted to know so much more. But instead had to get it from the mobile games of all things.

I hope the idea that Barry set up Claire and Owen on the blind date mentioned in the movie is canon. Along with the fact that Owen was a dolphin handler who was training them and had to get out of the navy after a mission with them went sour. Since it would make the most sense as to why a navy man is recruited to train raptors. What with dolphins being the smartest animal and all.

My biggest problem with the Lost World is that Spielberg asked Crichton to write a sequel after the success of Jurassic Park and Crichton wrote the novel as if it were a screenplay for Spielberg to use. The novel has great thematic material concerning mankinds relationship with the natural world and extinction. And there's great characters such as Levine whom provides an excellent foil and counterpoint to Malcolm. The characters in the novel confront and explore the novel's themes and narrative and it works really well.

And then Spielberg takes all of that and shits out a message movie about hunting and capturing animals with characters whom are literally two dimensional plot devices that move the movie from set-piece to action sequence, repeat ad nauseam.

I think Schindler's Lost got to Spielberg's head and it shows. He did Jurassic Park, then Schindler's List and finally received the accolades and recognition as a serious film maker he always wanted, and then followed that up with The Lost World. There is almost no joy or passion in this movie from Spielberg. Even Spielberg has negative comments about it. But that negativity and those short comings are of his own making. He had the material from Crichton, he just didn't give a shit.

Best soundtrack from the franchise though.

Jawmuncher

How was that game? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I'd rather not if it's just mediocre.

Also anyone in here play the Jurassic World mobile game?

I quite enjoyed it and it was my first Lego game. If you're a fan of the films you're going to enjoy the game i think. It's pretty fun and great for coop locally if you have someone to play with. If you have played other Lego games it's similar to that. If not it's a light platformer with humor sprinkled throughout.

Also the Jurassic World game is alright. Nothing more than a time waster really. I would play the little bit it allowed me in the morning and when I went to bed. It's like most Park Builder games on mobile. A lot of stop gaps to try and get you to spend money to speed things up. The only difference is that you can battle Dinos, but once again the difficulty can ramp up randomly. No harm in trying though, I got rather far without spending anything. Though it is set up that you don't want to go ahead of what the game tells you. Put me in a no win state that way unless I paid or grinded for ages.

I'm just waiting for Lego Jurassic World to drop down to $20... will probably take a while at the prices I see on Amazon and eBay.

Knowing Lego games, it'll be $15 on Black Friday.

I still geek for the T-Rex/Indominus fight. I remember sitting in the theater thinking "only a 5 second clip of the T-Rex and you really couldn't even see her? Really?", which I figured maybe they were trying to push the Indominus like the Spino. As soon as that little kid says "we need more teeth", I was literally disgonbegood.gif

Jawmuncher

Also just want to state again that Hoskins was great. Was actually amazed so many people disliked him. The character being over the top and ignorant was part of the charm if you ask me.

Also just want to state again that Hoskins was great. Was actually amazed so many people disliked him. The character being over the top and ignorant was part of the charm if you ask me.

I liked him too. My only complaint was his first scene kind of threw off the pacing. Felt the exchange between him and Grady was about twice as long as it needed to be

I actually had the blu ray playing on my TV yesterday and left to the kitchen to grab some food, came back and though to myself "wow this scene is still going"

pariah164

Over the top and ignorant is one thing, complete douchecanoe is another.
The only reason I liked him was because I had a hunch he'd bite it near the end.

Jawmuncher

I liked him too. My only complaint was his first scene kind of threw off the pacing. Felt the exchange between him and Grady was about twice as long as it needed to be

I actually had the blu ray playing on my TV yesterday and left to the kitchen to grab some food, came back and though to myself "wow this scene is still going"
Think it was a case of setting it up more. That way people weren't like "they barely mentioned it".

Over the top and ignorant is one thing, complete douchecanoe is another.
The only reason I liked him was because I had a hunch he'd bite it near the end.

It's just I could easily see someone exactly like that in that situation.

I liked JW but my biggest problem with it was the lack of tension and the sense of feeling "rushed" through scenes. It felt like they were trying to cram in as much as possible in a 2 hour period when I wished they would slow down and take time to allow scenes to develop.

This was a big problem in the first half of the film for me because the film shifted it's focus on characters so much. You would go from a scene on the kids, to a scene with Clair, to a scene with Chris Pratt. In contrast to JP, JP mainly focused on following Sadler and Grant throughout the first half of the film with some brief dialogue scenes from the control room with Hammond and the Newman side plot. However the control room scenes worked much better in JP since they were solely watching Grant and the kids. The scenes were connected in a way that made it work.

But I do like JW when it does decide to stick with focusing on certain characters, I actually liked the scene where the
kids were exploring the old JP visitation center and fixed up one of the old Jeeps. Even though the exploration bit of the center was already used in JP3 somewhat.

For instance, having the kids visit the park should have been a home run but instead it's incredibly fragmented
you see them jerk around with holograms, then it cuts to Chris Pratt, you see them at the petting zoo, then it cuts somewhere else, then they're at shamu, then the trouble bubble with cuts to Masrani and etc all in between.
Which made it feel very schizophrenic to me, I would much rather have appreciated it if it was focused more consistently on their trip to the park without cutting away so often. They focused too much on the spectacle rather than the journey which is what made the original JP so special.

Jawmuncher

I can understand that. I've read similar complaints and it's understandable. While I didn't mind the shifts, I wouldnt have minded A bit more focus. Or keeping the groups a bit better balanced like in JP1.

Great gif. Still kinda bummed that they never used the "full" t-rex roar but still awesome.

Yeah whats up with that, they kept using its "secondary" roar the whole time. I really wanted to hear that JP1 Rex roar, they even used it in some of the JW TV spots. TLW at least had it once when they first hear the Rex while in the high hide... but was sadly absent for the rest of the film. Now that I think about it you do hear it for a split second when the I-Rex knocks the T-Rex down.

Haha, is that Horner that shakes his head after Hoskins pats him on the shoulder on his way to chum it up with Owen after their successful test? Looks just like him.

Jawmuncher

What is up with this lame ass tin the movie comes in for the limited edition.
It's really more pathetic than anything. At least the Statue is badass.

What is up with this lame ass tin the movie comes in for the limited edition.
It's really more pathetic than anything. At least the Statue is badass.
It's kind of charming with the little stand. I remember someone fearing it'll never fit back into the cardboard (having not opened it) but there's a little stand flap in the back to prop it up for display if one chooses.

Jurassic Park has always had stereotypical, over the top characters that border on parody. Just look at Ian Malcolm or Dennis Nedry. It has never been a very grounded, realistic series IMO. The stories are very on-point with what they are and are pretty shameless. Hoskins fit the bill. The character personalities and the way they dress and act have always been super on the nose and deliberate.

Hey guys, need a favor.

An upcoming Jurassic Park T Rex statue is using the Jurassic World 3D model as its base. We all know the two Tyrannosaurs had numerous visual differences, but I need some help nailing them with reference points for the best possibly product - I'll make sure the right people see it (who i believe are looking on their own as well).

Fingers crossed this leads to one kickass collectible.

Amazing.

Amalthea

Banned
Something I was wondering for years:
In the night scene atop the tree we see brachios eating in the distance. The way they moved and how the overall scenery looked always gave me the vibe that this scene was made with go-motion rather than with CGI or animatronics. Could it be?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys looks like JW merch is still going! Target has (apparently an exclusive) I-rex Christmas tree ornament. $8 though, but pretty nice! I did pick up a JW body pillow from Walmart yesterdat for $10. Too bad the monorail on it killed the image instead of not having a raptor or something, but I needed a pillow anyways.

Speaking of merchandise, a retailers inventory listing managed to shed some light on 'Jurassic World Hybrids' Hasbro toys:

Jurassic World Hybrid T Rex - $24.99 B6524
Jurassic World Alpha Cycle and Hybrid Raptor Pack -$19.99 - UPC 63050946452
Jurassic World Hybrid Raptor 1 B8635 Growler -$14.99 - UPC 63050946453
Jurassic World Hybrid Armor Ankylosaurus B8629 Basher Biter UPC 63050945936
Jurassic World Hybrid Armor Indominus Rex B8628 Basher Biter UPC 63050945937
Jurassic World Hybrid SpinoRaptor B8633 Basher Biter UPC 63050946348
Jurassic World Hybrid Stegoceratops B8632 Basher Biter UPC 63050946349
Jurassic World Hybrid CarnoRaptor B8631 Basher Biter UPC 63050946350
Jurassic World Hybrid Dilophosaurus Rex B8630 Basher Biter UPC 63050946449

--

Every single one of those dinosaurs are from the Ludia Jurassic World builder game, except the Dilophosaurus Rex.. which will probably be patched in down the line. I expect the 'Hybrid Armor' dinosaurs to be based on their Level 40 appearances in the game.

There's also a children's book coming out by the same name.. this is the description:

Return to Jurassic World and discover that Indominus rex wasn’t the only hybrid dinosaur created in the lab. Children 3-7 are sure to love this action-packed book featuring the monstrous creations made from mixed-up dinosaur DNA—as well as Jurassic World hybrid dinosaur trading cards and over 30 stickers!

I still hope they surprise us and put a dinosaur or two from Chaos Effect in the game, and release new toys based upon them. Dilophospinus and Ultimasaurus please.

Morts

Finally watched my JW blu-ray the other night. I still think that
the T Rex looks a little bit off, I don't know why. Something about the eyes?
Still a really fun movie despite being incredibly dumb at times.

Also I still can't believe some people think JP3 is better than The Lost World.

Goddamn, the Triceratops in JP looks crazy good. It's insane how much better it looks than the animatronic Apatosaurus from JW.
If you are referencing design choices, then yes I agree the Triceratops looks better. But I do remember as a 12-year-old not being really convinced. Almost all of the movements conveyed the robotics beneath the skin to me. Still amazing work, of course. I also thought that certain shots in CG were unconvincing in the original movie at the time. For example, the raptor jumping onto the counter in the kitchen scene. I say this only because the original gets almost universal phrase, but even though it's one of my favorite movies of all time, and even though it amazed me in so many places, it's worth remembering that it wasn't perfect.

Also I still can't believe some people think JP3 is better than The Lost World.

For me it's simple. JP3 is fun and over very fast. I don't think it's great, but I feel like it's a harmless romp. The Lost World... dark, bland, long, entire last 20 minutes is dog shit... just expect so much more from that. And it's full of so much stupid shit, more than JP3 IMO. JP3's most offensive moment is the stupid raptor dream which had no place being there but it was still just a dream. The rest of it was pretty fun and didn't outstay its welcome. The plot is also very simple, they just go to save a kid. I don't find that dumb. I do find trying to open Jurassic Park in fucking San Diego dumb.

For me it's simple. JP3 is fun and over very fast. I don't think it's great, but I feel like it's a harmless romp. The Lost World... dark, bland, long, entire last 20 minutes is dog shit... just expect so much more from that. And it's full of so much stupid shit, more than JP3 IMO. JP3's most offensive moment is the stupid raptor dream which had no place being there but it was still just a dream. The rest of it was pretty fun and didn't outstay its welcome. The plot is also very simple, they just go to save a kid. I don't find that dumb. I do find trying to open Jurassic Park in fucking San Diego dumb.

Bingoooo.

Manu

I never found the raptor dream that stupid, considering it's just a dream.

Now, the Army sending an unarmed guy in a suit first, and then the actual guys with guns minutes later? Suit guy could've been eaten before they even got there.

Morts

Different strokes I guess. You're right that the plot of a park in San Diego is dumb, but I actually love the T Rex romp through the city. In JP3 I find the entire cast except for Sam Neil actively grating, and then there's the completely underwhelming climax. Plus the spinosaur looks dumb.

I never found the raptor dream that stupid, considering it's just a dream.

Now, the Army sending an unarmed guy in a suit first, and then the actual guys with guns minutes later? Suit guy could've been eaten before they even got there.

Oh it's all kinds of fucking stupid and shouldn't have been there. At the same time, it doesn't bother me as much as some of the dumber shit in The Lost World, a film that should have been so amazing at Spielberg's control.

On your second point, yeah. Jurassic Park 3 has a significant amount of plot holes. The one you mentioned immediately comes to mind, as well as... Billy, when attacked by the pteranodons, is forced downstream while Grant and Kirby go the opposite direction-- which is the direction of the beach. So how is it that, even before the water vehicles arrive, that they already have Billy on board and treating him? Billy was chased deeper into the island, yet was rescued before the boats got there. OK.

There's also a number of silly, yet harmless things like the phone ringing in the Spino's belly and so on. When I say I like JP3 more, that's not me defending JP3 to the masses or putting it on a pedestal. I think it's better than TLW because mainly I think TLW is just that fucking terrible.

Different strokes I guess. You're right that the plot of a park in San Diego is dumb, but I actually love the T Rex romp through the city. In JP3 I find the entire cast except for Sam Neil actively grating, and then there's the completely underwhelming climax. Plus the spinosaur looks dumb.

I hope this makes sense. So, I actually used to be on this mindset of thinking JP3 had an underwhelming climax. In some ways it does. There's no proper build to it and it comes out of nowhere. TLW has this big stupid but fun romp through the city as you said. I didn't like it because I thought it was too stupid and didn't have anything to say. It was just Spielberg being indulgent. You could pin this on Jurassic World's climax, but at the same time I thought that was sensible, it didn't go against any plot expectations, didn't have a giant 67 ball humorously roll by, and Trevorrow said that he found satisfaction in having these prehistoric beings slamming down product placement and whatnot. So I do think it makes some kind of statement.

But anyway. What I like the most about the Jurassic Park series... are the raptors. Yep, the raptors. The first film was all about the raptors and their intelligence. Jurassic Park 3 took this further by actually showing them working in groups in a very calculated fashion, and the climax wasn't just another big action setpiece, but rather... about furthering the raptors as intelligent, even slightly understanding animals. When they give the eggs back and Grant blows on the conch shell, they hear an alien sound from the distance, which are the choppers. Paul tells Grant to replicate the "call for help" sound and he does it pretty closely, then right after the raptors hear the sounds coming. They took this as "they just called for help just like we do" and scattered. It was showing how smart and communicative they are.

That's why I actually liked the ending to JP3. It wasn't just action, but rather a story payoff to something established in the original. Jurassic World then takes it to the next step and has someone working with the raptors. Just before the big fight, it ends with Owen successfully approaching Blue and removing her headset, which re-establishes their trust in Owen. I thought that was a fascinating moment and a huge stepping stone in a subplot that has been there since the original. Oh, I forgot to mention what The Lost World does in regards to this subplot, sorry. Oh wait, no I didn't, because it doesn't do jack shit. IMO, it's the outlier. It's the one you can actually mostly ignore because the story and motivations are stupid and it doesn't bother to do anything with the raptors.

JP3 is a pretty stupid movie, but it's fun and short, and at least continues the momentum of the raptor intelligence subplot, and Jurassic World successfully keeps that going and takes it to even more interesting places. The Lost World just doesn't do anything except suck and doesn't contribute one thing to the series as a whole.

The problem for me is that is just pure Spielberg indulgence, and it shows. There is nothing scary/terrifying about the Rex being loose in San Diego. The most horrifying sequence is the boat's actual arrival, ghost raptors and all. After the Rex actually escapes, all tension evaporates because we get the Rex eating a dog (for gags), some over-the-top deaths (the screenwriter), a groan-worthy Godzilla homage, and then the relatively boring car chase.

Going to the US/San Diego isn't inherently a horrible decision, but what Spielberg did with it was just boring and tame.

Uh, get the guys who designed the creatures for that cancelled game to work on the next Jurassic film because those are so much better than the creature designs in the actual movie. Spot on to the original aesthetic. The raptor in particular looks superbly on point in comparison to World's flabby faced iguanas. That pteranodon is possibly the second best design the series has had of the creature (most inconsistent creature in the series?), and that Baryonyx is just plain fun looking.

Jeez.

Uh, get the guys who designed the creatures for that cancelled game to work on the next Jurassic film because those are so much better than the creature designs in the actual movie. Spot on to the original aesthetic. The raptor in particular looks superbly on point in comparison to World's flabby faced iguanas. That pteranodon is possibly the second best design the series has had of the creature (most inconsistent creature in the series?), and that Baryonyx is just plain fun looking.

Jeez.

To be fair, they're just copying the old models. The Pteranodon looks way better. They probably copied the JP3 model. The Suchobrayonomimus doesn't look good at all.

To be fair, they're just copying the old models. The Pteranodon looks way better. They probably copied the JP3 model. The Suchobrayonomimus doesn't look good at all.
To be fair I think the Jurassic World designers would have been better off copying the old models. I don't think the Pteranodon is the JPIII design at all. It looks unique. And I like the Baryonyx in the sense that it fits in perfectly with the others, probably helps that it's basically just the JPIII Spinosaurus without the sail and a different color scheme, lol.

And there actually is a Suchomimus as well. The angle makes it difficult to tell but it has the proper single crest between its eyes unlike JPIII's Spinosaurus (and this guy's Baryonyx) which had two for some reason.
WpSFfyG.jpg

There's a Spinosaurus there as well and it's just the JPIII one obviously.

I mean, none of the creature designs are realistic but they actually look like they researched their source material (Jurassic Park) unlike Jurassic World's artists who's research seems to have been catching half of Jurassic Park during their lunch break. These renders both match the Jurassic Park aesthetic and are actually pleasing to look at, something most of Jurassic World's designs managed to do neither of.

EDIT: I don't know why both Baryonyx and Suchomimus always seem to appear together in JP stuff. They're both listed on the official Jurassic World website too.

Top Bottom