• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "I know we have to take risks [after Scalebound cancellation],"

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I still believe in Spencer. My wife and I use the Xbox One every day and love it. We try to avoid online drama so I guess you can say ignorance is bliss.

My brother and I play it every day and all of our friends that still play on consoles (because everyone I know is PC only at this point) all play on Xbox One and all are satisfied with their purchase. My brother even recently took advantage of a deal to trade in his Xbox One to get a Xbox One S even though he has all intentions to buy a Scorpio later this year.

I read a lot of bashing around here, yet at home we are all very happy with the Xbox Ecosystem and have nothing to complain about, so I totally agree with you.

anothertech

Quantum Break not getting a sequel when the first was so fucking good, and with a message being put out that the goal is to greenlight big games and take some risks, would be tantamount to dereliction of duty, being asleep at the switch. The foundation is crazy!!! Why wouldn't we want to see what that blossoms into? They've worked out some amazing technical wizardry in getting that game together. They need to revisit that. Who that loved that game isn't interested in seeing how Jack's powers develop? Who isn't interested in seeing if he goes and does what we all think he's going to do? Who doesn't want to see how he'll fight a shifter?
A lot of us felt that way about Fable, Phantom Dust and Scalebound.

'Who doesn't want to see it?' would be Microsoft, Xbox Division.

Kayant

- He's threw some shade at the notion Sony's E3 2016 conference was seen as better than Xbox's by criticizing the lack of shipping dates for some of those announcements "huh, no dates to many of those games" as opposed to his conference that has dates/years to all of them, and some announcements coming in the same year (DR4, FH3) despite having done similar in the past.

2. Whenever he hypes up their upcoming E3 conference.
- Every year. Every year Phil talks up their E3 conference as something so special. Too much content for 90 minutes, stuff to cut, etc etc. Will be remembered as a special moment in Xbox history compared to etc etc.
- Mind you, they've never been bad shows. Some of them are pretty good. E3 2013 by Xbox remains of my favourite E3 conferences ever, despite it being hated for 499 and LOLDRM.
- But the hyperbole of Phil has never helped it out. He always overhypes his events and none of them are outstanding to the level he sets it up, especially since his language just gets more hype-mongering year after year, and last year's E3 conference was his worst one yet.
Yh I always find that funny especially when at the end of the day they will only have announcements at E3 these part few years.

I bet we will see 2019+ games this E3 depending what they have cooking.

Rymuth

As a consumer/video games fan, when it comes to Phil, there are two things I'm fundamentally distrustful about when it comes to him.

1. Whenever he puts something he's doing as any form of high-ground compared to competitors.
- He has no qualms saying he doesn't like 3rd-party deals (in relation to Sony and their 3rd-party deals) when he himself has been in charge of several, high-profile 3rd-party deals with both big games and indies, and has actively pushed said deals as one of his tentpole announcements at events. (DR4, ROTR)
- He's threw some shade at the notion Sony's E3 2016 conference was seen as better than Xbox's by criticizing the lack of shipping dates for some of those announcements "huh, no dates to many of those games" as opposed to his conference that has dates/years to all of them, and some announcements coming in the same year (DR4, FH3) despite having done similar in the past.

2. Whenever he hypes up their upcoming E3 conference.
- Every year. Every year Phil talks up their E3 conference as something so special. Too much content for 90 minutes, stuff to cut, etc etc. Will be remembered as a special moment in Xbox history compared to etc etc.
- Mind you, they've never been bad shows. Some of them are pretty good. E3 2013 by Xbox remains of my favourite E3 conferences ever, despite it being hated for 499 and LOLDRM.
- But the hyperbole of Phil has never helped it out. He always overhypes his events and none of them are outstanding to the level he sets it up, especially since his language just gets more hype-mongering year after year, and last year's E3 conference was his worst one yet.
3. Repeatedly claims that he's against and above the 'Console Warzzz nonsense' but he invites and pays for to shuttle these fanboys to E3 every year. This is beyond talking to them on Twitter (which even Sony doesn't engage in for their equivalent), when you routinely hug them and invite them - other fanboys see this not just validation but as a reward and encouragement to do the same, hoping they might in turn be rewarded. Every time someone says something racist or misogynistic, I'm thinking 'Paid for and sponsored by the Execs at Xbox.'

Even Evilore called them out on this shit practice.

4. Throwing down every third party dev under the bus, usually with disingenuous claims to paint them in the worst light possible. Indie Devs not bringing their games to Xbox? "LOL, there is no parity clause! They're lying, tell 'em Chris Charla!" "Remedy doesn't want to make Alan Wake 2." "Yoshi-P made a deal with Sony to keep FF14 off Xbox!" etc

Sorry for jumping in on your moment, Nightengale

Is timlot Tim Dog or something?
Not gonna lie, I had my suspicions one time. >_>

Chobel

ibgldio38zz4tgzes1k.gif

LOL, so fucking good!

cakely

3. Repeatedly claims that he's against and above the 'Console Warzzz nonsense' but he invites and pays for to shuttle these fanboys to E3 every year. This is beyond talking to them on Twitter (which even Sony doesn't engage in for their equivalent), when you routinely hug them and invite them - other fanboys see this not just validation but as a reward and encouragement to do the same, hoping they might in turn be rewarded. Every time someone says something racist or misogynistic, I'm thinking 'Paid for and sponsored by the Execs at Xbox.'

I agree with this. At the very least Xbox management has been an enabler of what is at the very least, extremely childish behavior on twitter.

Some of those guys take it way beyond childish.

This is terrible because when you reward people of bad behavior like this, it sends the wrong message. There are many other Xbox fans who are passionate, but not entrenched in the console warz. Why didn't Microsoft interact and invite those people?

Crayon

4. Throwing down every third party dev under the bus, usually with disingenuous claims to paint them in the worst light possible. Indie Devs not bringing their games to Xbox? "LOL, there is no parity clause! They're lying, tell 'em Chris Charla!" "Remedy doesn't want to make Alan Wake 2." "Yoshi-P made a deal with Sony to keep FF14 off Xbox!" etc

Someone is going to jump in any second and say this was a long time ago or something.

cakely

This is terrible because when you reward people of bad behavior like this, it sends the wrong message. There are many other Xbox fans who are passionate, but not entrenched in the console warz. Why didn't Microsoft interact and invite those people?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease invite to E3.

Elandyll

Banned
I still believe in Spencer. ...
I admit that's a train of thoughts I have had trouble to understand over the past few years... "Believe"?

You do know that Phil Spencer is an actual living person, and not a mythical creature of the woodlands, right?

Now, if this is about Phil Spencer "The Savior of Xbox", who one day, just walking by, saw the Xbox building set ablaze by a bunch of hooligans named Jack Tretton, Adam Boyes and Andrew House, and he then listened only to his courage and titanium brass balls jumping literally in the fire to start rebuilding...

I have some cold hard reality for you.
He has been with Microsoft since 1988, and is a pure product of their corporate culture. Period.

Oh I'm sure that he is a gamer as well, but let's face it. Xbox is a business, and Spencer is a suit who has been an integral part of Xbox since pretty much the begining, and as a corporate VP level since 2009 has been a part of all high level decisions concerning Xbox and its games since then.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xbox-boss-...-era-xbox-ones-failed-focus-tv-kinect-1583957

Speaking to Stevivor, Spencer was quick to point to his long history with the company and with Xbox since the original console launched in 2001. "I was on the leadership team when [previous head] Don [Mattrick] was running Xbox. I ran first-party studios," he said

"The goal that the team had was to figure out how could we sell 200 million game consoles. We've never seen a console sell that many units. The biggest individual console, the PS2, did 120 million or something like that."

When Xbox One was unveiled in May 2013 with a big focus on integration with television and a digital rights management (DRM) system it was deemed by many to be anti-consumer. It was also more expensive than Sony's competing PS4 due to it requiring Microsoft's Kinect motion sensor for use with its voice activated functionality.

"The approach the team took was people are moving to OTT Video Services [such as Netflix] and television's getting disrupted — and if we could build a console that could be at the center of this transition and really embrace not only people playing video games, but also people with the changing habits in television, you really take the console market and the gaming market and you expand it potentially," Spencer said.

"I look at all of those and from a pure business standpoint and goals, they're all completely sound ideas. It's not like somebody was out with evil thoughts or something. It's a rational approach. Me, I've been on the Xbox since we launched the original Xbox. I've played video games my whole life. I still play video games all the time. That's what I do."

His job since has just been to backpedal and refocus on games, while looking likeable, approcheable and non-corporate in the process.

Granted, he has been good at that.

But, "believing"?
The guy is just as much a car salesman as, say, Shawn Layden, guaranteed.

/end rant.

Wagram

Off-topic.

I've heard of Tim Dog, Crapgamer, and MisterX for the XBOX side, but who are the main culprits for PlayStation and Nintendo's community?

The thing that frustrates me the most about some of the Xbox executives is that they participate with these people. They're invited to events, and Nelson has even done streams with Mooch.

Out of all your loyal sane Xbox fans, why these guys?

But how does that change the third point he raised? or its still "LOL"

Sorry, the post I replied to was not about the third point, it was specifically about "Evilore calling out Larry". About the third point though, can someone provide a link where it states that Microsoft paid for these fanboys to travel to E3.

So to your post yes it it still is LOL, its like fake news, lol.

vivekTO

Sorry, the post I replied to was not about the third point, it was specifically about "Evilore calling out Larry". About the third point though, can someone provide a link where it states that Microsoft paid for these fanboys to travel to E3.

So to your post yes it it still is LOL, its like fake news, lol.

But you are talking about "narrative Spun" , narratives doesn't consist one or two point dude, "LOL"

Yeah, this sort of thing is actively off-putting for the Xbox brand. Not sure why the MS team actively engages with these bozos on twitter.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I have to admit didn't even see the big picture until well after that E3. Always had question marks and suspicions but looking back and reading through on here all the things he said and did, or didn't, it's easy to see an insincerety between the things he says and does. When he said how he doesn't see how the competition, meaning PS, has more games or when he said how the focus would be on games, games, games and during his leadership how that number has decreased. Or how he always says nice things like praises the competition but then they go and diss them and even apologizes for it but they keep doing it. Either don't praise them and keep the trash talk going or be sincere with your praise. If you're going to say how dev relationships are key and how they will improve on that aspect and then burn so many bridges or how he kept stressing how xbox will be about more games games and just games and instead we have only a handful of games in the near future. It took a bit to see the big picture but all just came together and the Scalebound stuff was just the straw that broke the camels back imo. Not to mention his decision on getting rid of xbox exclusives is a major error. I know the thought process behind it is ''we don't care if they buy our console as long as they buy our game xbox or pc''. The amount of people buying their W10 games is so abysmal compared to the people who lose trust and interest in the brand and eventually either quit or switch sides. I'm one of the biggest xbox fanboys. I still remember how I imported the 1st one. I have zero hype for Scorpio. Mainly because of the no exclusivity. You want a game no one has that's specific to a console that highlights its power and not make it comparable. If you play the same game on xbox one or scorpio the difference is not going to be that big visually even if the hardware is.

My biggest fear is that they are slowly turning the xbox brand into a portal to use for Windows 10. To make it a service rather than a product.

That is precisely their plan. I suggest reading up. Xbox is Microsoft's way of trojan horsing the living room through brand recognition. The end game for Windows has been to become a subscription service as well. That is why they support the cloud because apparently, in the future all or most apps would be run from the cloud, maybe even the OS itself.

Elfstruck

3. Repeatedly claims that he's against and above the 'Console Warzzz nonsense' but he invites and pays for to shuttle these fanboys to E3 every year.

This one got me chuckled a bit. Since Phil is an executive, I'd expect him to be more professional instead of buying into this console war bs. You don't see Shuhei, Shawn Layden or Reggie do these kinds of things. Obviously, I'm not against executives to interact with their fans on social media, because at least, we can voice our opinions to them. However, it seems childish to invite these hard core console war fans to event such as E3. Guys like crapgamer and timdog are toxic to the gaming community, because all they do is promote propaganda and nothing else. It baffles me that Phil is promoting this type of culture among the gaming community.

leeh

I saw a tweet the other day where Phil said he recently played Crackdown and it was awesome, and then he replied to that tweet saying he also played Phantom Dust and he thought the same.

I thought Phantom Dust was cancelled?

Crayon

This one got me chuckled a bit. Since Phil is an executive, I'd expect him to be more professional instead of buying into this console war bs. You don't see Shuhei, Shawn Layden or Reggie do these kinds of things. Obviously, I'm not against executives to interact with their fans on social media, because at least, we can voice our opinions to them. However, it seems childish to invite these hard core console war fans to event such as E3. Guys like crapgamer and timdog are toxic to the gaming community, because all they do is promote propaganda and nothing else. It baffles me that Phil is promoting this type of culture among the gaming community.

It would be a perfect opportunity to ignore those guys and boost up the nice people with xbox channels by inviting them instead. So fucked up.

Sjefen

I saw a tweet the other day where Phil said he recently played Crackdown and it was awesome, and then he replied to that tweet saying he also played Phantom Dust and he thought the same.

yes it was, they are remastering the original

What makes me laugh is people on here have this idea of him as 'our Phil' like he is some kind of friend, some kind of gamer that happens to be in charge of Xbox software. That gives him a free pass too often to talk the talk but not walk the walk. It's a good act from him.

The hate brewing from this post is really gross. Let.it.fucking.go. jeesh.

What makes me laugh is people on here have this idea of him as 'our Phil' like he is some kind of friend, some kind of gamer that happens to be in charge of Xbox software. That gives him a free pass too often to talk the talk but not walk the walk. It's a good act from him.

Same thing happens with Yoshida and Mark Cerny.

They're doing an HD remaster instead of a remake now.

Like the post quoted above, this goes beyond gaming discussion, intelligent opinions and jumps straight to personal vendettas.

Well, it's not like PR guys are a reliable source of info. They are paid a salary to spout corporate "messengin" aka BS and paint whatever product they work on in a favorable light, to dealt with the community and to defend whatever unpopular move gets pulled by the company. The biais is evident in everything they do, and pretty much everything that comes out of a PR / Community Manager's mouth is engineered to paint the product in a good light. So yes, it's only natural for people to distrust PR lingo and not believe stuff like this.

Top Bottom