• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

Anyone running Max on Core 2 Duo? I have a E6600 (2.4GHz default) OCed to 3.2GHz, 8 gigs of RAM and Radeon 6950 2GB.
Will I be able to achieve 60fps on 1680x1050, max-ish settings?

Replaced all the s_.bik files and now I have no HUD, lol. There a file that specifically ties to it?

This happens to me when I finish a chapter (or on some levels getting about half way through). Exiting to the main menu and going back via continue solves it.

Darklord

Banned
This game runs silky smooth and I'm on almost fully high settings. Not really sure why the requirements are so high. I have an i7 920, 6gb ram and a GTX570. What exactly makes this game need 16gb ram and a GTX680? Running it at a super high resolution?

This game runs silky smooth and I'm on almost fully high settings. Not really sure why the requirements are so high. I have an i7 920, 6gb ram and a GTX570. What exactly makes this game need 16gb ram and a GTX680? Running it at a super high resolution?

They later clarified that those were the highest specs the game was tested on, they weren't (as I knew from the start) recommended specs.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Game won't load for me. Tried removing spaces from folder names, the steamapp_idd.txt file was already there but the game won't move past the legal text at the beginning. I updated my graphics card drivers and it loaded past the legal text but nothing more. What the fuck did I just spend $60 on?

Xyber

Game won't load for me. Tried removing spaces from folder names, the steamapp_idd.txt file was already there but the game won't move past the legal text at the beginning. I updated my graphics card drivers and it loaded past the legal text but nothing more. What the fuck did I just spend $60 on?

Do you have the Steam version? If so, do you have the latest patch? Try verifying your files as that have helped some people when Steam didn't download the patch for them.

Well I can't get past part 1 chapter VI's opening cutscene, it just always crashes. Game runs silky smooth for me but now I keep getting crash. Got latest drivers installed and game is up to date...

Zep

Banned
So I've tried these for my second playthrough

Anyone experiencing diappearing HUD with this? No health, pickups, no nothing on the screen

Edit: Ahh, some people experiencing this. Exit--> Continue might work, ty

Tried starting story mode and I now get a black screen(with sound) when I try to do the first chapter. Frustrating.

Are there any SSAO vs HDAO comparison screen?

Could anyone make some screen please? :)

I'm not actually sure this is working correctly (or why the FPS counter is in the second shot) but HDAO appeared to turn that effect off entirely, or maybe made it incredibly subtle.

SSAO
ibubFYmMBmIUus.png

HDAO
iBMMKnXBTpMjw.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm not actually sure this is working correctly (or why the FPS counter is in the second shot)

Because you're using the same button for taking screenshots as changing the position of the fps counter :)

( probably F10 )

Because you're using the same button for taking screenshots as changing the position of the fps counter :)

( probably F10 )

That couldn't be it, my FPS counter button is F10 and my screenshot key is F12. And I have the overlay set so it never shows in screenshots!

Quite the mystery.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm not actually sure this is working correctly (or why the FPS counter is in the second shot) but HDAO appeared to turn that effect off entirely, or maybe made it incredibly subtle.

SSAO
ibubFYmMBmIUus.png

HDAO
iBMMKnXBTpMjw.png
I'd say that the SSAO is better.
It is more noticeable, maybe with shadow at a lower res than the HDAO.

Best gaf,

i asked this in the other thread but it might be best I ask here...

Is modding not gonna happen with this game because of DLC? or are they gonna let pc gamers mod this game like the other games in the future after they are done with DLC? it would be shame if we cant mod this beautiful fucking game.

TronLight

How's the game texture-wise?
I'm just curious, I have a friends who is playing the game on PC everything on max and he says that it's full of texture where you can count every pixel...
I mean, 30GB and then... What the hell Rockstar?

iNvid02

I'm just curious, I've a friends who is playing the game on PC everything on max and he says that it's full of texture where you can count every pixel...

its the cutscenes at native res which take up most of the space

still, the game looks fantastic - see fixed's screenshot above

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm just curious, I have a friends who is playing the game on PC everything on max and he says that it's full of texture where you can count every pixel...

The textures are good. Most are quite high res. More importantly, Rockstar's ludicrous budget means the game has a ton of different textures. Environments are lively with different colours, tones and patterns thanks to minimising asset repetition. It's a very good looking game.

But, bizarrely, some textures don't appear to use any filtering what-so-ever. If you look at these textures right up close you can indeed 'count the pixels'.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

TronLight

The textures are good. Most are quite high res. More importantly, Rockstar's ludicrous budget means the game has a ton of different textures. Environments are lively with different colours, tones and patterns thanks to minimising asset repetition. It's a very good looking game.

But, bizarrely, some textures don't appear to use any filtering what-so-ever. If you look at these textures right up close you can indeed 'count the pixels'.

I see, I don't have the game yet, I've seen just few screen to avoid spoilers, and so I was curious.

im gonna pick up where i left off on my replay soon, i'll probably notice them now

Lol, sorry then!

neoism

why hasn't rs let us skip the damn cut scenes...... Still Loading...Still Loading...Still Loading.Still Loading...Still Loading fuuuuu

haikira

So how's the online community? Healthy enough to always be able to find populated games?

Last couple of times I've played, there didn't seem to be any problems at all. In free aim too. But i normally try at what would be considered peak time in the UK, and the more popular playlists.

Played through it nonstop the past few weeks, just finished my third run on Old School. Old school didn't really make too much of a difference for me as I hadn't used the cover system at all my first two run throughs, though I did like the lack of mercy given to me by the removal of last man standing.

Really, really loved it through and through. Game's graphics are awesome, and music is fantastic as well. Gameplay is classic Max, though certainly a little too classic Max in places, as it started to become memorizational bullshit like Max Payne 1's final levels were in the last two acts, though it never gets as bad. Still, aside from those few complaints, the levels were surprisingly well designed, it was the perfect length, and the gunplay is as great as it always was, emphasized by the euphoria engine.

As for the writing, what I think a lot of people here may not have picked up on is that while Max doesn't sound like the Max we're used to, Max sounds like Max should sound given his realization at the end of Max Payne 2 that he needs to move on. In Max Payne 3, he's beating himself up because no matter how he hard he tries, he can't move on. It really is the next logical step for the character.

However, I certainly can understand the sentiment that there didn't need to be a next step, as the bittersweet ending of Max Payne 2 closed the chapter of Max Payne's life that the original game opened. It was a flawless and absolutely perfectly fitting ending, and I see no fault in the argument that there didn't need to be another. Ultimately however, we have to deal with the cards we've been dealt, and I think that in regards to at least Max's characterization, Houser hit the nail on the head.

haikira

Played through it nonstop the past few weeks, just finished my third run on Old School. Old school didn't really make too much of a difference for me as I hadn't used the cover system at all my first two run throughs, though I did like the lack of mercy given to me by the removal of last man standing.

Really, really loved it through and through. Game's graphics are awesome, and music is fantastic as well. Gameplay is classic Max, though certainly a little too classic Max in places, as it started to become memorizational bullshit like Max Payne 1's final levels were in the last two acts, though it never gets as bad. Still, aside from those few complaints, the levels were surprisingly well designed, it was the perfect length, and the gunplay is as great as it always was, emphasized by the euphoria engine.

As for the writing, what I think a lot of people here may not have picked up on is that while Max doesn't sound like the Max we're used to, Max sounds like Max should sound given his realization at the end of Max Payne 2 that he needs to move on. In Max Payne 3, he's beating himself up because no matter how he hard he tries, he can't move on. It really is the next logical step for the character.

However, I certainly can understand the sentiment that there didn't need to be a next step, as the bittersweet ending of Max Payne 2 closed the chapter of Max Payne's life that the original game opened. It was a flawless and absolutely perfectly fitting ending, and I see no fault in the argument that there didn't need to be another. Ultimately however, we have to deal with the cards we've been dealt, and I think that in regards to at least Max's characterization, Houser hit the nail on the head.

We can be friends.

Anyone running Max on Core 2 Duo? I have a E6600 (2.4GHz default) OCed to 3.2GHz, 8 gigs of RAM and Radeon 6950 2GB.
Will I be able to achieve 60fps on 1680x1050, max-ish settings?
Can anyone help me on this? I'm planning to buy Max Payne 3 this weekend on the Amazon sale but I'm worried will my PC be good enough.
Sure, 8 gigs of RAM and Radeon 6950 will be enough for 1680x1050 but what about my Core 2 Duo? Like I said, it's OCed to 3.2GHz (a significant increase from it's default 2.4GHz).
Will I have trouble running this game on 60fps at 1680x1050?

question:

When system requirements say "2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo" - then are they refering to the oldest 2.4 ghz core 2 duo - the penryn processor?
I mean, a sandy bridge Core 2 Duo at 2.4 is going to run better than a penryn 2.4 right?

So if thats the case, what is a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo (Ivy Bridge) worth in this scale?

Negaiido

I've got these specs:

i5 3570 (not yet overclocked)
Asus GTX670(overclocked)

Wouldn't these specs be enough to play this game on max settings on 1080p and 60 fps?
I seem to get frame drops during chapter 1 /2 (havent continued) to stable 15/20 with all max and MSAA 16x, am I too ambigious or am I doing something wrong?

Eideka

Banned
I've got these specs:

i5 3570 (not yet overclocked)
Asus GTX670(overclocked)

Wouldn't these specs be enough to play this game on max settings on 1080p and 60 fps?
I seem to get frame drops during chapter 1 /2 (havent continued) to stable 15/20 with all max and MSAA 16x, am I too ambigious or am I doing something wrong?
MSAA 16X is completely overkill, 4X is enough, perhaps you mean AFX16 ?

With this rig you should be able to maintain a steady 60fps with everything maxed in any circumstances. It runs perfectly well with my 3770K and my GTX 570.

Negaiido said:
You'll likely need to drop MSAA down if you're looking to get a stable 60fps.

Negaiido

MSAA 16X is completely overkill, 4X is enough, perhaps you mean AFX16 ?

With this rig you should be able to maintain a steady 60fps with everything maxed in any circumstances. It runs perfectly well with my 3770K and my GTX 570.

No I really mean MSAA and I meant 8xMSAA. It seems that when I turn MSAA on on even 2x I seem to get stable 30 and it doesn't go higher then that :S
When I turn off MSAA it's stable 60.
If you get stable 60 fps on max settings with your rig then why don't I get stable 60 fps :S

You'll likely need to drop MSAA down if you're looking to get a stable 60fps.

See above :)

Eideka

Banned
No I really mean MSAA and I meant 8xMSAA. It seems that when I turn MSAA on on even 2x I seem to get stable 30 and it doesn't go higher then that :S
When I turn off MSAA it's stable 60.
If you get stable 60 fps on max settings with your rig then why don't I get stable 60 fps :S
Hold on, by "perfectly well" I don't mean 60fps. A GTX 570 can't achieve 60 fps at 1080p with everything maxed.
I use FXAA instead of MSAA as well.

It's odd, a GTX 670 should have not problem running the game at 60 fps, try MSAA X2 or FXAA in this case.
It should be noted that MSAA is incredibly taxing in Max Payne 3, I guess other effects must be enabled with it.

Negaiido

Hold on, by "perfectly well" I don't mean 60fps. A GTX 570 can't achieve 60 fps at 1080p with everything maxed.
I use FXAA instead of MSAA as well.

It's odd, a GTX 670 should have not problem running the game at 60 fps, try MSAA X2 or FXAA in this case.
It should be noted that MSAA is incredibly taxing in Max Payne 3, I guess other effects must be enabled with it.

I guess 4xMSAA does work a bit and gives me 60 fps but 8xMSAA just drops straight to 30 even in the menu. :X

Top Bottom