• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA teasing a "big announcement regarding E3 2013"

Rolf NB

This is why I hate twitter. Everything on it is disposable. People should start speaking straight into their trash bins.

Meelow

Banned
I don't know if I should be super excited for E3 2013 after 2012 but I'll try, I mean they will probably announce the PS4 or Xbox 720 so that's exciting.

yeah an E3 in Europe where 2 of the big 3 not attend... Nintendo doesn't even bother presenting the Wii U.

I'm every year at GamesCom I don't think it is that comparable

The Wii U will be at GamesCom, just not Nintendo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Setting my expectations low.

Xbox 720 announced
PS4 announced
Wii U2 announced
Dreamcast 2: The Awakening announced

Oh man New Orleans would be awesome. I don't know where they would actually hold it though. The convention center in LA is pretty big.

Oh and you guys do realize the next gen consoles won't be announced at E3 right? They'll have separate events earlier in the year to do that. They aren't going to show an entire console off at E3 and launch a few months later.

Please be East Coast! West Coasters will get it again the year after anyways... throw us a bone! I'd guess there's a big lobbying from Montreal for New York (if publishers are even involved with this move selection).

Yeah, the Montreal (and other Canada publishers) is mainly why I haven't completely lost hope for New York. Hope it's a possibility.

vireland

ahaha, if ATL is hot i guess its good they never had it down in miami, vic. still, that place looks like it was awesome.

I'd do Miami in a heartbeat. I never experienced the kind of humidity and stickiness of Atlanta in the summer in Miami, but I haven't been to Miami late summer. But then again, you still have the issue of Miami being on the opposite coast, so freight for exhibitors to move their booth from the west coast where most are stored becomes a huge pain. Don't think Miami will happen for that reason.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Bring it to the East coast. NYC to be exact. I would like to attend one E3 in my lifetime.

vireland

Console unveiling doesn't automatically mean anything interesting. We learned that from Nintendo...twice.

But doing TWO at the same time creates an air of one-upsmanship on the floor and in presentations, upping the game of one or both. I'm betting this is the case at E3 2013.

I hope it comes out East. NYC would be nice, because that would mean a shorter drive. :p

(From Canada, Toronto, planning on going next year)

yeah, i'm guessing Orlando or Tampa. Both would be smart moves.

If they moved it there I live an hour from Tampa and have a friend who lives in Orlando right off I-Drive. If my magazine I write for gets more leverage and I'm able to write more tech pieces I might try and swing for a press pass in a couple years if they announce a multi-year deal.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if it's not gonna be in Los Angeles, I think they will at least keep it on the west coast. Sure, Chicago, New Orleans and New York all have convention centers larger than the LACC (720,000 square feet of exhibit space). The mentioned McCormick Place in Chicago is vastly larger than LACC. So are New Orleans Morial Convention Center and Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York (that's what I can think of for them to use, unless they can utilize Madison Square Garden in some peculiar way).

However, wouldn't it make most sense for them to use the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco? That's the venue of Game Developers Conference. It may be a bit smaller than LACC and may not fully comply to the demands of Microsoft and Sony next year (as their presence at E3 will probably be huge, with Durango and Orbis revealed), but it should still be enough. If ESA is smart, it could join with UBM TechWeb (owner of GDC) to perhaps get some discounts from SMG or whoever operates that facility. That could mean lower ticket prices (that shouldn't next year cost $795 anyway).

Ah well, this announcement shall be interesting. My money's on west coast, but who knows what might happen.

vireland

Rösti;40375220 said:
However, wouldn't it make most sense for them to use the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco? That's the venue of Game Developers Conference. It may be a bit smaller than LACC and may not fully comply to the demands of Microsoft and Sony next year (as their presence at E3 will probably be huge, with Durango and Orbis revealed), but it should still be enough. If ESA is smart, it could join with UBM TechWeb (owner of GDC) to perhaps get some discounts from SMG or whoever operates that facility. That could mean lower ticket prices (that shouldn't next year cost $795 anyway).

They may still do it, but Moscone center would be a much more compartmentalized E3 since the exhibit areas are more broken up. The biggest single exhibit area at Moscone is still almost 100,000 sq feet smaller than South Hall at the LA Convention Center. I think two big halls (and maybe a Kentia Hall to fly your freak flag) is the max subdivision of an E3 event. Moscone would be more segmented because of the way it's laid out.

linkboy

Yeah, the SF square footage makes me wonder why they even mentioned it as being considered. LA, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Chicago can handle E3 without breaking a sweat. But New Orleans in early Summer will probably be miserable like Atlanta, especially with this trend toward earlier hotter weather in late spring and summer. So I can see LA and Las Vegas as leaders with Chicago still in the mix. I can't imagine any publisher complaining about a convention in Las Vegas.

Instead of San Francisco, what about San Jose? Its bigger than SF and closer to a lot of the tech companies.

vireland

Instead of San Francisco, what about San Jose? Its bigger than SF and closer to a lot of the tech companies.

I think that's like half as much exhibit space or less than LA Convention center, isn't it? Unless they want to experiment with the Santa Monica disaster again, I don't think they will make it that small.

mr stroke

Vegas would be ideal, but an absolute cluster fuck with EDC happening at the same time in June.

Make it SF, plenty of space, and close to tons of developers/media

Zebra

Dammit all, Dallas would honestly be perfect. A convention space more than twice as big as LA's, one of the largest/busiest international airports in the world, and soon to have a direct train line from the airport into the convention center. If Chicago or New Orleans were really being considered given their locations, I don't see why Dallas wouldn't be.

But we would fuck it up somehow, I'm sure.

Top Bottom